MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RYO Aperture Resonant LPG BUILD THREAD
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author RYO Aperture Resonant LPG BUILD THREAD
stabilt
RYO Aperture - A resonant LPG in 8hp PRODUCT THREAD

If you have any questions about your build and such don't hesitate to ask!
This will be the BUILD THREAD!

Cheers!
w00t

Assembly Instructions
Schematics
Oblivion
I didn't take any pics of my build in progress (was burning the midnight oil and was in the zone, so didn't think of photos), but I will say the docs were clear as usual. I cheated a bit and built both PCBs in parallel until I got to the more fiddly bits. I'm not sure if I recommend that or not - I may have gotten lucky not stuffing up both boards. Anyway, no real tricks in getting it together, and it sounds wonderful.

Cheers!

applause
stabilt
I'm glad you like it!

Stuffing both boards at once is how we build in house too if it's only max 5 modules at a time. We also stuff all values of 3.5 mm resistors and solder them in one go and the same with all values of 7 mm resistors. It is a little faster but you need to focus more.
Oblivion
That's what I did as I moved along and when I built my VC Seq and TrigXpander. Checking off the placed components on the packets is a must for me then.
rampy
I'm having a bit of trouble with this one. It's only my fourth DIY module, and first to not work correctly- so I'm guessing there is some noob oversight involved. Any help on where to start troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

I feel like the trouble is in the LPF/BOTH/VCA switch. For starters, it sounds to me like the response is reversed (LPF sound when switched to VCA and vice versa). There is quite a bit of bleed in BOTH mode, despite rear trimmer setting. The ring seems longer than it should when Klang is hit with a trigger. I've noticed that the ringing does tighten up when placing probes from a multimeter on the center and one of the outer connections on the switch.

Also, the resonance seems to kick in pretty when the pot is only turned up about halfway, and is still present when in VCA mode.
Oblivion
Wild-ass guess here and I'm sure the experts will be along shortly, but if you have the Version 1.0 boards, did you build off the updated build doc with the jumper between R37 and R38 (pg. 6 here: http://ljunggrenaudio.com/aperture.pdf )?
rampy
I did solder the jumper in place, but I'm going to take a look at it again. If I'm not mistaken it looks as if it relates to the resonance in the schematic.
stabilt
I recognize this behaviour from when I managed to put a way too low value resistor where the 330k resistors should go. It extended the ringing of the vactrols significantly and the VCA/Both/LPF switch was behaving weird and it was impossible to calibrate it. It completly changed the behaviour. It's very possible wrong resistors in more places than the 330k also could do similar things.

So my first recommendation is to check that the resistors have correct values in the correct places.
rampy
Thanks stabilt. I will double check resistors, however, I was very particular when stuffing the boards - followed instructions one step at a time, essentially doing one resistor value at a time. I also checked each one with a meter before putting them in the board. No doubt there is still room for error!
rampy
OK, all resistors triple-checked and everything is in the right place. Where should I go from here?
rampy
I re-flowed a few joints and feel like I got this calibrated well. However, I am hearing self oscillation when in vca mode, is that typical behavior for this circuit?
stabilt
rampy wrote:
I re-flowed a few joints and feel like I got this calibrated well. However, I am hearing self oscillation when in vca mode, is that typical behavior for this circuit?

If the resonance/Q switch is on it will self oscillate in VCA mode. The VCA mode with resonance on makes it a 6dB LPG with very hot resonance that self oscillates at much lower settings than in the other modes with a sharper/more aggressive sound.

Does this mean you have managed to get it working?
rampy
I believe so, thank you! Now to the next project-- Optodist! nanners
MindSnared
rampy wrote:
I believe so, thank you! Now to the next project-- Optodist! nanners

Glad you got it working, hope the Optodist will go down smooth Guinness ftw!
phosfiend
If anyone ends up selling builds ala Optodist on the BST forum, please let me know. Don't have time these days for much DIY. Module looks great!
stabilt
phosfiend wrote:
If anyone ends up selling builds ala Optodist on the BST forum, please let me know. Don't have time these days for much DIY. Module looks great!

SynthCube have some assembled optodists if you dont find it on bst. Rockin' Banana!
listentoaheartbeat
stabilt wrote:
phosfiend wrote:

SynthCube have some assembled optodists if you dont find it on bst. Rockin' Banana!

If RYO give me their blessing like they did with my Optodist builds, I might consider doing a small run of Apertures in a month or two. Just a thought at this point, have not really looked into it.
stabilt
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
stabilt wrote:
phosfiend wrote:

If RYO give me their blessing like they did with my Optodist builds, I might consider doing a small run of Apertures in a month or two. Just a thought at this point, have not really looked into it.

Yes definitely!
listentoaheartbeat
stabilt wrote:
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
stabilt wrote:
phosfiend wrote:

Yes definitely!

Will get in touch shortly! thumbs up
Haterade
Built on of these over the weekend. Pretty straightforward, very enjoyable project. Sounds great, too.
edjrussell
Hi all,

Very new to DIY modules and this is the 4th thing I have finished but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work at all. Have built Turing machine + epxanders, a filter and an attenuator before and all went without a hitch.

my appeture seems to just make a high pitched whining sound and doesn't let through any signal. Oddly the frequency of the whining sound changes when I switch the vac/filter switch. The whining stops if the q I/O switch is off. The led doesn't come on either.

Any ideas what this could be? Guessing its something fairly major?? One thing that I fear may have cooked it is I accidentally left out one small yellow capacitor and turned it on, realising it wasn't working I check the circuit and soldered in the missing component but it still just makes a quiet whining noise.
Really want to get into more DIY projects but have been knocked back a bit by this one!

Thanks in advance
stabilt
edjrussell wrote:
Hi all,

Very new to DIY modules and this is the 4th thing I have finished but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work at all. Have built Turing machine + epxanders, a filter and an attenuator before and all went without a hitch.

my appeture seems to just make a high pitched whining sound and doesn't let through any signal. Oddly the frequency of the whining sound changes when I switch the vac/filter switch. The whining stops if the q I/O switch is off. The led doesn't come on either.

Any ideas what this could be? Guessing its something fairly major?? One thing that I fear may have cooked it is I accidentally left out one small yellow capacitor and turned it on, realising it wasn't working I check the circuit and soldered in the missing component but it still just makes a quiet whining noise.
Really want to get into more DIY projects but have been knocked back a bit by this one!

Thanks in advance

The yellow caps in the kits should all be 100nF used for decoupling. They should not be able to cause this.

It could be pretty much anything. Measure the Voltage of the power rails. Do you have a multimeter and a scope? Next step would probably be to follow an audio signal from the input and onwards.

Some hires pics of the PCBs would be very helpful.
edjrussell
thanks for getting back man. Will go out today and get a multimeter and try and work out what to do with it.

Here's some shots of the pcb's. Only got an iphone 6 for camera, hope you can see enough. Sorry in advance for the horrific soldering![/img]

edjrussell
oh, one thing to note also is that I had to shorten one of the legs of the q I/O switch a little bit as it was pushing slightly into one of the IC chips. not sure if this would make a difference?
stabilt
I have taken one of the pics and pointed out a couple of examples.

1. It's difficult to see if a blob of solder like this have contact with both the component pin and the solder pad. There is many "blobs" like this on many places on the PCBs.

2&3. It almost looks like there isn't any solder at all here.

4. It looks like there might be a solder bridge here. You have soldered the jumper correct but from this angle it looks like it can be in contact with one too many pads.

We have used iPhone 6 camera for many assembly instruction pics ourselves.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5