MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power supply selection
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Power supply selection
trimix
The more I read, the more I begin to second-guess myself - I hope someone can help clear the fog... just building a system now, nothing completed yet.
I plan to use a open frame Condor non-switching power supply block (Canada - 110v) which outputs +/- 15v and a bit of 5v on the side. It outputs at 3A, so I should be able to use this single supply for all my racks as the monster grows. I can always add more.
I plan to use a Dizzy board inside each rack (up to 5 racks).
I was under the impression that I can power up the Dizzy with the block directly...and don't need to use an Oakley Power supply.
Or do I? sad banana
I'm confused because the Oakley PS is intended to have a PS20 power supply to feed it...Is the Oakley PS simply creating the +/- 15v current from the wall wart input? Or is there more magic at work?
Synthbuilder
trimix wrote:
It outputs at 3A, so I should be able to use this single supply for all my racks as the monster grows. I can always add more.

I much prefer the use of several smaller power supplies with smaller lengths of distribution than one big power supply and lots of wiring. This is for several reasons:

1. The voltage drops along the various lengths of cable will be smaller in a more localised power system. This means less chance of modules interfering with each other.

While routing +/-15V might seem a good idea between various boxes - any current taken by each box will reduce the +/-15V to something slightly lower by the time it gets to the box. The more current, and the longer the cable, the more the voltage drop. Since the current is often rapidly changing this produces a changing voltage at the box. This also affects the 0V so it won't be exactly 0V at the box. This can cause audible effects.

You can reduce this by using thick cable to route the +/-15V and 0Vs to each cabinet. And by using high quality sockets - I use Neutrik 4-way Speakon connectors.

2. It's more flexible from the start. Smaller self powered racks makes creating separate standalone units possible. Ideal for gigging and rearranging the studio.

3. If the power supply dies in a horrible way it won't take your whole modular with it. Power wiring errors are also restricted to affecting a smaller amount of modules.

4. Using smaller current limited power supplies restricts the amount of current a faulty module takes. A 3A power supply will quite happily supply over 3A into a faulty module which is not good.

Quote:
Is the Oakley PS simply creating the +/- 15v current from the wall wart input? Or is there more magic at work?

No magic. It does exactly that.

Tony
JohnLRice
Synthbuilder wrote:
trimix wrote:
It outputs at 3A, so I should be able to use this single supply for all my racks as the monster grows. I can always add more.

I much prefer the use of several smaller power supplies with smaller lengths of distribution than one big power supply and lots of wiring. This is for several reasons:
thumbs up I agree with all of Tony's reasons. we're not worthy

My large 5U is set up that way. I have a Power-One (like Condor etc) plus a distro board in each of 8 cases. I made them all mounted to 19" rack panels so if one dies in a critical case I can easily swap a working one from a less essential case. If I was really on top of things I'd have a working spare all setup and sitting on a shelf but no, and I really should have made all the units the same size but on a couple I used supplies with lower power ratings and smaller distro boards since they were going in half sized case which made sense but, it kind of ruins the idea of swapping supplies around. meh d'oh!

Here's one of my early power supply build threads:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31700

A couple pics:

trimix
JohnLRice wrote:

My large 5U is set up that way. I have a Power-One (like Condor etc) plus a distro board in each of 8 cases. I made them all mounted to 19" rack panels so if one dies in a critical case I can easily swap a working one from a less essential case.

Here's one of my early power supply build threads:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31700

Thanks - I get it now.. Each of your units are stand-alone for power. I was planning for smaller racks of about 16u stacked, with a DC jumper going from unit to unit. But only 1 power cord coming off the wall. I can make my system work, but if I start to have trouble I'll start making them independent units as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1