MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power Supply - ground connections
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Power Supply - ground connections
trimix
Please clarify some terminology regarding ground connections.
All current (that I've seen) Module Builders guides break down the power connections like this:
+15v................Pin1
Module/GND......Pin2
Earth/PAN.........Pin3
-15v.................Pin4

I'm connecting a bench top power supply. +/15v no problem, but I get hung up on the terminology for the ground connections.
- Which ground should go from pinX to the power supply ground connection? Which leaves another ground to be connected to ...what?
ie.: do I use pin2 or pin3? seriously, i just don't get it
Synthbuilder
trimix wrote:
do I use pin2 or pin3?

Both - they are connected together at the power supply. If you are using the Dizzy then both the pin 2 and pin 3 connections will go back to your power supply's 0V connection. That is, take two wires from the Dizzy back to the one 0V pin on your power supply.

Tony
trimix
Synthbuilder wrote:

Both - they are connected together at the power supply. If you are using the Dizzy then both the pin 2 and pin 3 connections will go back to your power supply's 0V connection. That is, take two wires from the Dizzy back to the one 0V pin on your power supply.

Tony

Thanks - And on the Dizzy there is an "earth" solder connection on the board. Tie that back to PS also?
Sorry for the questions...but this will be the core of the system. If I'm not certain, I gotta ask!
Synthbuilder
trimix wrote:
And on the Dizzy there is an "earth" solder connection on the board. Tie that back to PS also?

Assuming you will be tying your PSU's 0V to safety earth you can ignore the individual 'earth' pads on the Dizzy boards.

Tony
Flareless
I have a Dotcom QPS2 power system for 8 modules. I use it as a bench test power supply. I'd like to put an MOTM / Oakley 4 socket connector on one of the wires so I can test Oakley modules with it.

My question is about the Ground (Earth) lines. There is only one ground wire from the power supply. Do I split it and attach it to pins 2 and 3?
Synthbuilder
Flareless wrote:
There is only one ground wire from the power supply. Do I split it and attach it to pins 2 and 3?

Yes, pins 2 and 3 should be both be connected to the single ground wire.

If you have a Dizzy and would like to use the Dotcom power supply just take the ground wire and put it into pin 2 of the screw terminal. Then solder a wire link into position R1 - this will connect pins 2 and 3 together.

Tony
Flareless
Thanks Tony! It works perfectly.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1