MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Argos Bleak - what do we know?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Argos Bleak - what do we know?
Veqtor
Argos delivers!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcakWn4D5wA/
rustyjaw
rustyjaw wrote:
Anyone else have odd behavior when storing a preset (via holding down the encoder while pressing Chord)?

I've done this while a sequence is playing through the Argos Bleak and everything goes a bit wonky at the moment of saving - and after saving, some settings seem to be changed.

So after familiarizing myself more with the AB, I can answer my own question. What was confusing me is that when you save, the AB automatically returns to Chord preset 01. This is somewhat annoying, but not a serious problem.
mt3
rustyjaw wrote:
rustyjaw wrote:
Anyone else have odd behavior when storing a preset (via holding down the encoder while pressing Chord)?

I've done this while a sequence is playing through the Argos Bleak and everything goes a bit wonky at the moment of saving - and after saving, some settings seem to be changed.

So after familiarizing myself more with the AB, I can answer my own question. What was confusing me is that when you save, the AB automatically returns to Chord preset 01. This is somewhat annoying, but not a serious problem.

Sorry for not following up. Free time luxury before the holydays.
Maybe it's a bug and send in a bug report?
mt3
Veqtor wrote:
Argos delivers!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcakWn4D5wA/

Your module boxes interior decorating looks identical to my environment.
thumbs up
rustyjaw
After my typical period of slow learning, I'm starting to get a handle on the Bleak. Here's a thing I recorded this morning. The bleak is controlling three oscilators here, a Dixie II, STO, and E330. There are two sequences going into the Bleak, both from the SH MkII. I use input swap to occasionally switch from one to the other. I built four chord presets on the Bleak which are being walked through by Rene. (the noisy fuzz that comes in after a while is the same sequence recorded into Morphagene, only I bumped up the octave dials on the AB before recording)

[s]https://soundcloud.com/rustyjaw/beauty-in-the-bleak[/s]
guestt
This is great grin

AB is making my modular sound a lot bigger than it is too - I think it has the record for being the most WTF? to the most OMG! module ever!
KoryB
rustyjaw wrote:
After my typical period of slow learning, I'm starting to get a handle on the Bleak. Here's a thing I recorded this morning. The bleak is controlling three oscilators here, a Dixie II, STO, and E330. There are two sequences going into the Bleak, both from the SH MkII. I use input swap to occasionally switch from one to the other. I built four chord presets on the Bleak which are being walked through by Rene. (the noisy fuzz that comes in after a while is the same sequence recorded into Morphagene, only I bumped up the octave dials on the AB before recording)

[s]https://soundcloud.com/rustyjaw/beauty-in-the-bleak[/s]

this is fantastic!
yeatsvisitslincoln
Question about the A+B and A-B outputs and how they are quantized. Is the math done to the two inputs before they are quantized? Or are they added together after quantization and then adjusted accordingly. I'm assuming it will never output a value that isn't in the scale mask (to steal a term from the O_C).
mt3
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Question about the A+B and A-B outputs and how they are quantized. Is the math done to the two inputs before they are quantized? Or are they added together after quantization and then adjusted accordingly. I'm assuming it will never output a value that isn't in the scale mask (to steal a term from the O_C).

Outputs are within the scale mask (sounds like it).
Unsure whether the A+B or A-B are pre or post quantizer.
what gives?
What's the range of the detune knob?
Villarceau
what gives? wrote:
What's the range of the detune knob?

12 semitones.
6 semitones down and 6 semitones up
wireangel
[s]https://soundcloud.com/rustyjaw/beauty-in-the-bleak[/s][/quote]

Lovely tour through the fog, Rustyjaw! Haven't dug into those chord set ups yet. Still(happily) lost in the labyrinth of the SHii and Bleak paring. Inspired to dig further!

Happy New Year Harvestman folks!
dropthedyle
The last firmware is real fun in arpeggio mode !

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/news/13
mt3
dropthedyle wrote:
The last firmware is real fun in arpeggio mode !

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/news/13

Requires an announcement!
mt3

from rustyjaw

"Final (promise :-) take on this patch. This started out as an exploration of the Argos Bleak, using most of it's features including all 4 outputs, both inputs, input swap, chord preset progression, vibrato and slew.

All voices are controlled by the Argos Bleak, the sequence is from the Stilton Hammer MkII. A second sequence is occasionally swapped for the main one to add a little variation.

The 4 voices are Dixie II, STO, E330, and Rings (being fed audio from Piston Honda MkII). All of the voices are fed into the 4 inputs on Three Sisters which I manipulate as things prDelay from 4MS DLD and Clouds in looping delay mode.

Everything is clocked from Pamela's Workout, which I manually slow down as the track progresses. Starting at 63 BPM and ending at 47."
mt3
duplicate
rustyjaw
mt3 wrote:

from rustyjaw

Thanks! It's just a further variation on the "Beauty in the Bleak" soundcloud above. The main difference is using the 4th Argos Bleak output to drive a related melodic line, and filtering all the sounds differently.

Time to unpatch that and try something new now that I have a better handle on the Argos (and now with new firmware).
rustyjaw
Wow, I was just reading the manual again, trying to undertand the behavior of the CV in for "Destination" and something jumped out at me.

"in the RED mode, the CV will rotate the semitone data across the 4 outputs, with the attenuator acting as a manual control"

How did I miss this before? I know I read it, but somehow it never sank in, this is huge, IMO. Cycling the outputs? So nice!

Does the second part imply that (in RED mode) the CV in doesn't do anything...only the position of the knob?
mt3
rustyjaw wrote:
Wow, I was just reading the manual again, trying to undertand the behavior of the CV in for "Destination" and something jumped out at me.

"in the RED mode, the CV will rotate the semitone data across the 4 outputs, with the attenuator acting as a manual control"

How did I miss this before? I know I read it, but somehow it never sank in, this is huge, IMO. Cycling the outputs? So nice!

Does the second part imply that (in RED mode) the CV in doesn't do anything...only the position of the knob?

I believe it does? CV offset?
dysonant
My world is about to get more Bleak. I'm picking up a AB later this week. I've got a question I'm hoping you folks can answer.

The Zorlon Cannon MKII CV output, even when at a constant level is somewhat noisy. I have run it through a quantizer before and I get undesirable trills because steps/gates are uneven. Has anyone used the Zorlon Cannon as a pitch CV source for the Argos Bleak?
mt3
dysonant wrote:
My world is about to get more Bleak. I'm picking up a AB later this week. I've got a question I'm hoping you folks can answer.

The Zorlon Cannon MKII CV output, even when at a constant level is somewhat noisy. I have run it through a quantizer before and I get undesirable trills because steps/gates are uneven. Has anyone used the Zorlon Cannon as a pitch CV source for the Argos Bleak?

I could test this out later tonight for you.

Unsure how Zorlon's Ch A Mix Out can be noisy, but I'll look into it. Do you mean each individual Out for Ch A, or Ch A's Mix Out?
dysonant
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

Unsure how Zorlon's Ch A Mix Out can be noisy, but I'll look into it. Do you mean each individual Out for Ch A, or Ch A's Mix Out?

Definitely talking about the MIX out. I was looking at the MIX out on the DATA and messing around with the attenuverters. You can get different height steps/gates out of the MIX. Also, it is bi-polar, so I offset the MIX out to be above zero, then ran MIX into a quantizer. The result was a semi-random, but in key melody. However, the inherent noisiness of each gate (meaning the top of the square is not stable) made my quantizer freak out a bit.
mt3
dysonant wrote:
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

Definitely talking about the MIX out. I was looking at the MIX out on the DATA and messing around with the attenuverters. You can get different height steps/gates out of the MIX. Also, it is bi-polar, so I offset the MIX out to be above zero, then ran MIX into a quantizer. The result was a semi-random, but in key melody. However, the inherent noisiness of each gate (meaning the top of the square is not stable) made my quantizer freak out a bit.

I'll have an O'Tool in next week so will report back then if I can't scope it by then.
Ch A is 0-5V and Ch B bipolar on the Zorlon. Nonetheless, the MIX OUT for both should be steady. I use it as a pseudo-sample-and-hold but never noticed the instability.
dysonant
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

I was going out of MIX B. I am picking up my Argos Bleak tonight, so I will also see if I can scope and take some pictures of the ZC output this weekend.

I'll have an O'Tool in next week so will report back then if I can't scope it by then.
Ch A is 0-5V and Ch B bipolar on the Zorlon. Nonetheless, the MIX OUT for both should be steady. I use it as a pseudo-sample-and-hold but never noticed the instability.
dysonant
no idea why my last post was just a quote, I swear I posted something. Anyway, I have yet to test the Zorlon going into the Argos, but I will soon. Though here is my first patch with the Argos Bleak. Not quite so fancy, but I like being able to shift several VCOs at once

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dysonant/exocomp-5[/s]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 6 of 7