MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Argos Bleak - what do we know?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Argos Bleak - what do we know?
revoltcrews
Cortega wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:
I'm loving this module SlayerBadger!

My main usage for Argos is catered for:

SHMKii > Argos > Addac 222 (4x6 CVtoMidi) > OB-6 desktop

as ignatius pointed out. streamlined, very clear & easy to use.
my 0B-6 is loving the chord generation It's peanut butter jelly time!

can you please make a little sound demo, i must hear this love

should have time tomorrow thumbs up
revoltcrews
mt3 wrote:
From modular 8:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYhKDBLhXza

nice one SlayerBadger!
mt3
Mine appeared just today.
The Harvestman
mt3
Million dollar question:
where are the fine tuning trimmers located on mk ][ modules?
Piston Honda?
Hertz Donut?
Kermit?
Trimmers for Zorlon Cannon even though it doesn't track 1V/Octave?
governor blacksnake
mt3 wrote:
Million dollar question:
where are the fine tuning trimmers located on mk ][ modules?
Piston Honda?
Hertz Donut?
Kermit?
Trimmers for Zorlon Cannon even though it doesn't track 1V/Octave?

The scale trimmers for each of the modules listed above are all located on the back of the module. They are the only adjustment trimmers present on the modules. The fine tune knobs on Piston and Hertz are the black "knobless' ones on the front. Use the Argos' "detune" pots to achieve fine tuning action on Kermit and Zorlon Cannon. You might be able to get close to 1v/oct on Zorlon though it isn't a multi-turn trimmer (the base pitch may change depending on the selected tap configuration)
mt3
we're not worthy

Ok, all that's left are ballpark power requirements.
I had an issue initially 1 minute after turning on Argos Bleak where the entire module froze and went dim red. Rebooted and all has been fine since.
Wondering if that's a sign of power starvation to the module?
revoltcrews
mt3 wrote:
we're not worthy

Ok, all that's left are ballpark power requirements.
I had an issue initially 1 minute after turning on Argos Bleak where the entire module froze and went dim red. Rebooted and all has been fine since.
Wondering if that's a sign of power starvation to the module?

Mine just did that as well.. what are the power specs for the argos bleak ?
nostalghia
Just received my Argos Bleak yesterday, it's my first Harvestman/IME module.
Played around with it last night, just getting familiar with it and trying out some of the features. Will calibrate some of my VCOs today or tomorrow, used digitals so far like the E350 and Klavis Twin Waves that I knew didn't have any tracking issues-using the Argos as a master controller once you get all your osc tuned and ready is really appealing.

Came close in last year or so to buying a Quantimator, Beast's Chalkboard and other similar one-function modules-glad I didn't since this does that and much more.
I often use 3-4 VCOs in a drone or driven by the same sequence (for detuning, mix of waveforms, etc.) so this will be ideal.
Especially like having trigger in and out for the quantizer-a fairly rare feature but essential to me (out at least).

No freeze or dimming issue here so far, installed in my Monorocket 4 x 104hp case with 3.5A power supply, should have enough current headroom left as Modular Grid shows I'm using about 2300mA (+12) and 900 mA (-12) without the Argos.
Argos is the only module out of 39 in the case with no power spec listed... so yeah, would be nice to know for folks that are near the limit in their case.
Baddcr
mt3 That description is the first time I've read anything about this module that made me want it... thanks for reposting for those of us who really are dead to facefuckinshitebook!
mt3
Firmware update:
https://ime-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/firmware/firmware/9/argosF W12.zip

"Small firmware update for Argos Bleak has been released today. They improve tuning stability, and Argos Bleak's performance on different power supplies has improved."

Note Device ID is:
DSPIC33FJ64GP804

VERSION NUMBER DISPLAY - Press and hold the Rotary Encoder button and then press the DESTINATION button.
Cortega
is the calibration easy to do ? and i loved to see/hear more Demos from this thing in Action.

greetz
nostalghia
Cortega wrote:
is the calibration easy to do ?

Calibration procedure for the Argos itself and any oscillators you are using with it is described in the manual, available on the IME site:
Argos Bleak manual
mt3
Cortega wrote:
is the calibration easy to do ? and i loved to see/hear more Demos from this thing in Action.

greetz

I'll be making a few vids within the next few days hopefully. They're bloody time consuming.

Cheap and Quick Fun
If you want to test things out without the obstacle course involving tuning, use a dual oscillator such as Hertz Donut, DPO, Cyclebox, etc.
Plug Argos output 1 into Primary and output 2 into Modulator.
Send rhythmic gate into the Argos ' Input Swap.
Mult that same gate to both oscillator's Sync inputs.
nanners
chaosick
mt3 wrote:
Cortega wrote:

greetz

I'll be making a few vids within the next few days hopefully. They're bloody time consuming.

Cheap and Quick Fun
If you want to test things out without the obstacle course involving tuning, use a dual oscillator such as Hertz Donut, DPO, Cyclebox, etc.
nanners

As someone else who uses the SHMk2 as the center of it all, what does the Argos Bleak add over it that SH can't do?
mt3
chaosick wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Cortega wrote:

greetz

Cheap and Quick Fun
nanners

As someone else who uses the SHMk2 as the center of it all, what does the Argos Bleak add over it that SH can't do?

Considering the cost of Argos, that's a good question.
Regarding the cost, at minimum the module can be viewed as 4 independent quantizers (essentially). Add to that the utility functions it has and, like all other Harvestman modules, it actually costs less than if you were to buy the equivalent Doepfer/Ladik modules separately.

The Argos can be viewed similarly to SHmk2.
SHmk2 has CV Inputs A and B, which are analogous to the Argos Pitch Inputs A and B.
Argos' Outputs 1-4 are similar to SHmk2's CV Outputs 1-4, but quantized.
I had initially and frequently confused Argos as the expander, which isn't a bad way to view it initially to quickly grok its whythefukc beauty and options.
Have you ever wondered what it would sound like if you added or subtracted two pitch sequences? If you FM'd an oscillator with the sum or difference while swapping between two pitch sequences?
Me neither.
Thank Guv for expanding my repository of weirdo synth patches daydream toolbox.

You might wonder whether such patch masturbation actually results in something listenable. I tend to gravitate towards things more dissonant and skronky, and my initial tests have been a bit too harmonious, pretty, and melodic for my tastes. Which is actually a welcome addition to my arsenal.

As an expander, let the SHmk2 CV Outputs handle CV in general while the Argos is dedicated to ALL quantization and quantization modulation duties, which it was designed for and the SHmk2 was not.

Inputs from the Argos can be assigned to the Outputs 1-4 as follows:
1: A
2: B
3: A+B
4: A-B

Send a gate to the Input Swap jack and the Outputs become:
1: B
2: A
3: B+A
4: B-A

Each individual output can be detuned, vibrator'd, and slew'd.

If you're thinking "It would've been great if there were 4 inputs instead of 2"... No, you don't.
If you think you do please search your post history for "my mix is too muddy", "too busy", and "help there's a D1000 in my sphincter and can i add an R-57 and power them both with a Doepfer beauty case".
The constraint of 2 inputs is busy enough as it is.

For realtime live instant performance variations, each Output has a dedicated detented Octave knob.

I have yet to explore the presets, other than CVing between the stock factory presets, which produces significant variations in sound.
chaosick
[quote="mt3"]
chaosick wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Cortega wrote:

greetz

Cheap and Quick Fun
nanners

Quote:
Have you ever wondered what it would sound like if you added or subtracted two pitch sequences? If you FM'd an oscillator with the sum or difference while swapping between two pitch sequences?

Yes; I've frequently done this by using 2 cv from SH to 2 separate osc while semi-syncing one of these osc to the other while modulating all parameters on the SH2.

Based on what you've seen, I don't really see a compelling reason why I'd want the Argos.
mt3
Didn't add to my original post in time, but there's still quite a bit more as well that I haven't sexplored yet.
* shotgun marriage with Brainseed and Tyme Sefari mk I
* Quantizer Trigger In for track-and-hold
* chord aspects
* vibrato phase offset
* assigning slew pre-quantizer for arpeggiation (not my cup of tea in general)
* quantization as bit crusher
* multi-stage FM frequency controller manipulator
* quantizer feedback

chaosick wrote:
Based on what you've seen, I don't really see a compelling reason why I'd want the Argos.

Hmmm, challenge accepted?
I'll try to get something cooked up, though looks like you've already made up your mind.
Feel free to make suggestions for anything you would like to see/hear.

chaosick wrote:
I've frequently done this by using 2 cv from SH to 2 separate osc while semi-syncing one of these osc to the other while modulating all parameters on the SH2.

I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing as what I tried to convey. The idea I had in mind would be similar to the RingMod'd output of two signals, but within the space/domain of quantized frequencies. A different type of heterodyning. This is what I'm imagining but have yet to explore. Since you asked I figure I'd share the questions I hadn't considered before.

EDIT: Removed quad quantizer reference. Unsure what to accurately refer to the Argos as.
Cortega
[quote="mt3"]
Cortega wrote:

greetz

great, looking forward, thanks
mt3

Perfect Circuit beat me to a bit of the funky freakiness and FM aid approach.
dysonant
SHIT! That was kind of amazing. I do not know what to do. I have been using the Apitecht & Triad to control voices. I do not care that much about the arpeggio functions and more about the triad part. I am feeling like I might need to sell it and switch to this.
mt3
dysonant wrote:
SHIT! That was kind of amazing. I do not know what to do. I have been using the Apitecht & Triad to control voices. I do not care that much about the arpeggio functions and more about the triad part. I am feeling like I might need to sell it and switch to this.

Actually 5 minutes after I stated the arpeggiation isn't my cup of tea I realized it was my dark roast. You can assign the Trigger Out to a channel with arpeggiation so that whenever a note changes a trigger is sent. Rhythmic action synced. Want to try it ASAP.
dysonant
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

Actually 5 minutes after I stated the arpeggiation isn't my cup of tea I realized it was my dark roast. You can assign the Trigger Out to a channel with arpeggiation so that whenever a note changes a trigger is sent. Rhythmic action synced. Want to try it ASAP.

Interesting, so it sends a trigger on note change. Essentially all I would lose from the Apritecht is pre-programed rhythms and slides, which honestly I was never very fond of anyway.
mt3
mt3 wrote:

Easier to annotate this vid for now...

Unison Vibrato Swarm Patch
* the u1 on the LED refers to vibrato phase offset between each output

Four Part Harmony Patch
* the Chord presets are being CV'd and incremented, which is displayed on the LED. The chord changes are stepped through every bar.

Two-Voice Filter FM Patch
* one of a gazillion FM patch ideas
* illustrates the realtime effect of turning the Octave knobs for performance manipulation

Note that every patch used a SINGLE Pitch input. As I mentioned earlier, it gets busy quite easily with just one input being used. None of this video dares plug anything into Input B.
Also illustrates the "musicality" and "harmonicty" aspect I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Let me add that the use of only one Pitch input is a vanilla use of the Argos, even more introductory than viewing it as an SHmk2 expander. There's quite a bit more chaos not yet approached and explored in the video.
chaosick
mt3 wrote:

Perfect Circuit beat me to a bit of the funky freakiness and FM aid approach.

Yes, I saw that.

1st part: It just sounds mostly like when I apply some exponential FM to my oscillators.

4 Part Harmony: Seems like I could get the same effect (and I've done this more or less) by putting all 4 cv out from SH2 to 4 osc with the same envelope and/or 1 cv mult and various osc tuned some interval apart from each other (also done).

Other parts: independent slew--isn't this sort of what you can also achieve by varying amounts of lin or exp FM in different osc and using the slide parameter of SH2?

I can see there's more convenience in some of these things than doing it these other ways, but I can't see how it's worth another $500 (more probably after import duties)--if anything, it would seem more interesting to pick up a used, 2nd SH2 for that price.
Baddcr
I'm having similar dilemmas over this one, I am just not getting it... I agree that it seems like a weird kinda of add on to the SHmk][

...but I know nothing really... following with interest!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 3 of 7