MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Argos Bleak - what do we know?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Argos Bleak - what do we know?
Daisuk
I've seen the name Argos Bleak being mentioned. It was mentioned in an FB post by Harvestman (I think it was on Facebook, anyway), in conjunction with having to re-calibrate oscillators (for Stillson 2 and Argos Bleak) - so could we assume it's some sort of sequencer as well? Quantizer? Something else that has to do with pitch tracking?

Any other suggestions? smile
mt3
"Base frequency and range reset for use with Argos Bleak and Stillson Hammer Mark ]["
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=140872

Triggering thing? CV Back-Massage unit? Antiquantizer? Ransom note composer?
Starrefision
scott gave me a few pages with some upcoming modules about 9 months ago, and it's been interesting to see the early mock-ups,
as compared to the final versions.
you should be able to get a better idea of the argos bleak from this pic.
i would assume it's highly subject to changes though.
it's one of the new batch i was really looking forward to.
Daisuk
Damn! Thanks for posting, starfision! That looks pretty interesting. thumbs up
governor blacksnake
Argos Bleak is a 4-channel oscillator driver module that will have a detailed announcement made after NAMM. I made the decision to increase the panel width to 15HP, having decided that expansion modules are insulting to the customer in all but the most exceptional circumstances. The module allows for semitone/fine tune/vibrato/slew of all connected oscillators and uses the same quantizer engine as the new Stillson Hammer. The semitone offsets per channel are programmable as presets, stepping through them becomes a chord sequence. The 13HP module you see above has existed for a very long time, but I think it could benefit from some extra space and some minor control revisions.
robotopsy
I personnally dont mind expansion modules. It brings possibilities steps beyond the lonely module.
waveglider
robotopsy wrote:
I personnally dont mind expansion modules. It brings possibilities steps beyond the lonely module.

Scott is saying that it is better to have all the possibilities already on the main module instead of saving a few hp and relegating the extras to an expander.
Daisuk
governor blacksnake wrote:
Argos Bleak is a 4-channel oscillator driver module that will have a detailed announcement made after NAMM. I made the decision to increase the panel width to 15HP, having decided that expansion modules are insulting to the customer in all but the most exceptional circumstances. The module allows for semitone/fine tune/vibrato/slew of all connected oscillators and uses the same quantizer engine as the new Stillson Hammer. The semitone offsets per channel are programmable as presets, stepping through them becomes a chord sequence. The 13HP module you see above has existed for a very long time, but I think it could benefit from some extra space and some minor control revisions.

Damn. Nice! That sounds great. But it won't do octave switching?
adamon
Gov's Instagram hints that this is still grumbling... nanners
mt3
adamon wrote:
Gov's Instagram hints that this is still grumbling... nanners

Good eye...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BK4k235BTg9
Drc3p0
I got to hear the Argos bleak on the NAMM floor and it is my favorite new model this year...Curious what other IEM modules it should be paired with to get the most out of its potential chaos.. [/img]
Drc3p0
mt3
Argos Bleak and NAMM 2017 case demo:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPgp6WfD8Li
richc90
In case anyone was wondering, Argos Bleak is a character in Captain Planet.
Daisuk
richc90 wrote:

Thanks! Here's the old names thread. smile

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70784&highlight=
mt3
richc90 wrote:

Excellent exegesis. The references are obscure to me.
PompeiiRuler
This one has me interested! So, is this sort of a shift register in a way? If one were to feed the oscillators with the same pitch sequence and run their outputs through the AB, you could in theory get 4 different melodies?
richc90
PompeiiRuler wrote:
If one were to feed the oscillators with the same pitch sequence and run their outputs through the AB, you could in theory get 4 different melodies?

Argos Bleak processes CV rather than audio, so you'd feed the sequence to the oscillators via Bleak. But if you fed a sequence into Bleak, it will give you four versions of that sequence which will differ depending on the settings for the respective channels (slew, offset, vibrato, etc.).
PompeiiRuler
@richc90
Thanks for responding. I'll be putting it on the list of potential purchases for 2017. I'll wait for the cost and budget accordingly. Sigh.
Infinity Curve
This one definitely caught my eye. Interested to see and hear more. I think this would be very useful for me
mt3

Some Argos Bleak discussion here.
Handmedown
High anticipation for this one. I hope they keep the black panel. It contrasts nicely with yellow.
robotopsy
I really doubt it will stay black. Usualy it's for the prototypes. hmmm.....

Handmedown wrote:
High anticipation for this one. I hope they keep the black panel. It contrasts nicely with yellow.
mt3
robotopsy wrote:
I really doubt it will stay black. Usualy it's for the prototypes. hmmm.....

Handmedown wrote:

Join me in bombarding Guv with requests for blackpanels made available on the IME store. SlayerBadger!
richc90
Infinity Curve
Really interested in Argos Bleak. I think this would fit in really well with how I work. The more I hear/see on it, the more excited I get! hyper

Is it summer yet?
kanhvass
Can't wait SlayerBadger!
governor blacksnake
This will be manufactured shortly, I've just ordered the PCBs. I recently revised the mainboard so that the main converters behave much more precisely than in the prototype, and added a few convenience features (tuning mode and clip indicator.) This is an unusual module design and I'll make some videos to show its intended use. Under the correct conditions it is a lot of fun to use.
metel909
This will be manufactured shortly, I've just ordered the PCBs. I recently revised the mainboard so that the main converters behave much more precisely than in the prototype, and added a few convenience features (tuning mode and clip indicator.) This is an unusual module design and I'll make some videos to show its intended use. Under the correct conditions it is a lot of fun to use.

I just finished my first 9U today...not a complaining...Argos is good enough to connivence me to get another case...thank you Mr. Green thumbs up
wireangel
Beyond excited to put this to work with my SH Mk2 and Kermit. The Holy Trinity?
jwise
wireangel wrote:
Beyond excited to put this to work with my SH Mk2 and Kermit. The Holy Trinity?

I too have the SH MK2 and Kermit, but I'm most interested in pairing the Argos Bleak to the SynthTech E370 showing up later this year.
ether
On pre-order for $465 at Perfect Circuit SlayerBadger!
mt3
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/the-harvestman-argos-bleak.html

Note 10% off this weekend as well. So $420.

"Argos Bleak, from The Harvestman, is an oscillator controller and quantizer to provide voltage precision over a handful of various oscillators. It's main function would be as the main brain for quantization and tuning, providing coarse and fine tuning for up to four VCOs. Each of the four outputs also has a dedicated vibrato LFO to prevent a quad LFO to be used as something as little as vibrato. The Argos Bleak can save many settings for different configurations, and even save offsets on certain oscillators, to provide chordal "presets." These presets can be clocked through giving "chord changes." The Argos Bleak is a benevolent master control module.

Scale quantization selection (similar to Stillson Hammer mkII, free selection of scale root and mode)
Vibrato Generator (internally routed to all 4 channels using the mixer knobs) with frequency and amount control
Gate control inputs: Quantizer trig, slew enable, input selection swap Chord preset storage (16 slots, stores semitone offset of each channel and other programmable settings)
Chord selection CV input
Quantizer trigger output
"
mt3
Pre-ordered!
nanners
robotopsy
Looks like it's time to reorganise some Hp space into my rack very soon grin
mt3
http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/news/3

Release date is in a few weeks, August 2017.
The Harvestman
mt3

FacesbookOfDeath
REwire
So when will the Argos start showing up in shops?
mt3
Hopefully any day now.
w00t
REwire
Are the smaller knobs center detented?

When moving a centered knob away from tune or adding LFO it's a pain to get them to perfect 0CV without a click off mode.

Dan
mt3
Shipping to dealers next week.
what gives?
Any demos out yet (That aren't brief booth rundowns)?
mt3
From the facesbookofdeath comments section:

Funcktion
"designed to sit between a Stillson Hammer and some IME oscillators, but also does a good job of bridging the gap between the IME universe and other brands."

Infukc/Outfukc
"2 calibrated cv inputs (to come from your sequencer, keyboard, or other source), 4 outputs to go to your oscillators. The various controls and gate inputs on the module can transform even a single cv input into 4 very different output signals, just imagine using the dual inputs with the input swap function!"

Usage: Quantizer Modulation Math
"For each of the outputs, you can select the input source (A, B, A+B, A-B).
Each output lets you shift the input data by octaves, also with a fine tune control, vibrato LFO amount, and slew.
You can route the slew to act before the quantizer (per channel) for strange delayed arpeggio effects.
You can also individually disable the quantizer per channel.
Most significantly, you can program a pre-quantizer semitone shift (positive or negative) per output, and store it as a nonvolatile preset, so you can generate chords from a single CV (and instantly sequence across 16 stored chords using the Chord CV input).
Argos is obviously best suited for controlling a mix of oscillators with clear unison or chord structures, but its input routing and quantization options open it up to a number of uses (such as precisely setting FM carrier/modulator ratios, or transposing a CV sequence in response to a 1v/oct CV input [which Stillson Hammer doesn't do well on its own]).
At the last minute, I also added an output rotation feature that lets you invert chords by shifting the programmed semitone setting for each channel to the next channel."
mt3
Manual:
https://ime-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/manual/manual/20/argos_ble ak_manual_v10.pdf
mt3
On its way to dealers.
mt3
Perfect Circuit has them. Use WORK10 until Monday for 10% off.
ignatius
it's pretty dope. very useful module. easy to use. some nice tricks and mostly super easy/straight forward to dial in 4 musically related parts from one sequence. add 4 vcas 4 envelopes and really interesting things can happen.
revoltcrews
I'm loving this module SlayerBadger!

My main usage for Argos is catered for:

SHMKii > Argos > Addac 222 (4x6 CVtoMidi) > OB-6 desktop

as ignatius pointed out. streamlined, very clear & easy to use.
my 0B-6 is loving the chord generation It's peanut butter jelly time!
Cortega
revoltcrews wrote:

can you please make a little sound demo, i must hear this love
mt3
From modular 8:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYhKDBLhXza
revoltcrews
Cortega wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:

can you please make a little sound demo, i must hear this love

should have time tomorrow thumbs up
revoltcrews
mt3 wrote:
From modular 8:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYhKDBLhXza

nice one SlayerBadger!
mt3
Mine appeared just today.
The Harvestman
mt3
Million dollar question:
where are the fine tuning trimmers located on mk ][ modules?
Piston Honda?
Hertz Donut?
Kermit?
Trimmers for Zorlon Cannon even though it doesn't track 1V/Octave?
governor blacksnake
mt3 wrote:
Million dollar question:
where are the fine tuning trimmers located on mk ][ modules?
Piston Honda?
Hertz Donut?
Kermit?
Trimmers for Zorlon Cannon even though it doesn't track 1V/Octave?

The scale trimmers for each of the modules listed above are all located on the back of the module. They are the only adjustment trimmers present on the modules. The fine tune knobs on Piston and Hertz are the black "knobless' ones on the front. Use the Argos' "detune" pots to achieve fine tuning action on Kermit and Zorlon Cannon. You might be able to get close to 1v/oct on Zorlon though it isn't a multi-turn trimmer (the base pitch may change depending on the selected tap configuration)
mt3
we're not worthy

Ok, all that's left are ballpark power requirements.
I had an issue initially 1 minute after turning on Argos Bleak where the entire module froze and went dim red. Rebooted and all has been fine since.
Wondering if that's a sign of power starvation to the module?
revoltcrews
mt3 wrote:
we're not worthy

Ok, all that's left are ballpark power requirements.
I had an issue initially 1 minute after turning on Argos Bleak where the entire module froze and went dim red. Rebooted and all has been fine since.
Wondering if that's a sign of power starvation to the module?

Mine just did that as well.. what are the power specs for the argos bleak ?
nostalghia
Just received my Argos Bleak yesterday, it's my first Harvestman/IME module.
Played around with it last night, just getting familiar with it and trying out some of the features. Will calibrate some of my VCOs today or tomorrow, used digitals so far like the E350 and Klavis Twin Waves that I knew didn't have any tracking issues-using the Argos as a master controller once you get all your osc tuned and ready is really appealing.

Came close in last year or so to buying a Quantimator, Beast's Chalkboard and other similar one-function modules-glad I didn't since this does that and much more.
I often use 3-4 VCOs in a drone or driven by the same sequence (for detuning, mix of waveforms, etc.) so this will be ideal.
Especially like having trigger in and out for the quantizer-a fairly rare feature but essential to me (out at least).

No freeze or dimming issue here so far, installed in my Monorocket 4 x 104hp case with 3.5A power supply, should have enough current headroom left as Modular Grid shows I'm using about 2300mA (+12) and 900 mA (-12) without the Argos.
Argos is the only module out of 39 in the case with no power spec listed... so yeah, would be nice to know for folks that are near the limit in their case.
guestt
mt3 That description is the first time I've read anything about this module that made me want it... thanks for reposting for those of us who really are dead to facefuckinshitebook!
mt3
Firmware update:
https://ime-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/firmware/firmware/9/argosF W12.zip

"Small firmware update for Argos Bleak has been released today. They improve tuning stability, and Argos Bleak's performance on different power supplies has improved."

Note Device ID is:
DSPIC33FJ64GP804

VERSION NUMBER DISPLAY - Press and hold the Rotary Encoder button and then press the DESTINATION button.
Cortega
is the calibration easy to do ? and i loved to see/hear more Demos from this thing in Action.

greetz
nostalghia
Cortega wrote:
is the calibration easy to do ?

Calibration procedure for the Argos itself and any oscillators you are using with it is described in the manual, available on the IME site:
Argos Bleak manual
mt3
Cortega wrote:
is the calibration easy to do ? and i loved to see/hear more Demos from this thing in Action.

greetz

I'll be making a few vids within the next few days hopefully. They're bloody time consuming.

Cheap and Quick Fun
If you want to test things out without the obstacle course involving tuning, use a dual oscillator such as Hertz Donut, DPO, Cyclebox, etc.
Plug Argos output 1 into Primary and output 2 into Modulator.
Send rhythmic gate into the Argos ' Input Swap.
Mult that same gate to both oscillator's Sync inputs.
nanners
chaosick
mt3 wrote:
Cortega wrote:

greetz

I'll be making a few vids within the next few days hopefully. They're bloody time consuming.

Cheap and Quick Fun
If you want to test things out without the obstacle course involving tuning, use a dual oscillator such as Hertz Donut, DPO, Cyclebox, etc.
nanners

As someone else who uses the SHMk2 as the center of it all, what does the Argos Bleak add over it that SH can't do?
mt3
chaosick wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Cortega wrote:

greetz

Cheap and Quick Fun
nanners

As someone else who uses the SHMk2 as the center of it all, what does the Argos Bleak add over it that SH can't do?

Considering the cost of Argos, that's a good question.
Regarding the cost, at minimum the module can be viewed as 4 independent quantizers (essentially). Add to that the utility functions it has and, like all other Harvestman modules, it actually costs less than if you were to buy the equivalent Doepfer/Ladik modules separately.

The Argos can be viewed similarly to SHmk2.
SHmk2 has CV Inputs A and B, which are analogous to the Argos Pitch Inputs A and B.
Argos' Outputs 1-4 are similar to SHmk2's CV Outputs 1-4, but quantized.
I had initially and frequently confused Argos as the expander, which isn't a bad way to view it initially to quickly grok its whythefukc beauty and options.
Have you ever wondered what it would sound like if you added or subtracted two pitch sequences? If you FM'd an oscillator with the sum or difference while swapping between two pitch sequences?
Me neither.
Thank Guv for expanding my repository of weirdo synth patches daydream toolbox.

You might wonder whether such patch masturbation actually results in something listenable. I tend to gravitate towards things more dissonant and skronky, and my initial tests have been a bit too harmonious, pretty, and melodic for my tastes. Which is actually a welcome addition to my arsenal.

As an expander, let the SHmk2 CV Outputs handle CV in general while the Argos is dedicated to ALL quantization and quantization modulation duties, which it was designed for and the SHmk2 was not.

Inputs from the Argos can be assigned to the Outputs 1-4 as follows:
1: A
2: B
3: A+B
4: A-B

Send a gate to the Input Swap jack and the Outputs become:
1: B
2: A
3: B+A
4: B-A

Each individual output can be detuned, vibrator'd, and slew'd.

If you're thinking "It would've been great if there were 4 inputs instead of 2"... No, you don't.
If you think you do please search your post history for "my mix is too muddy", "too busy", and "help there's a D1000 in my sphincter and can i add an R-57 and power them both with a Doepfer beauty case".
The constraint of 2 inputs is busy enough as it is.

For realtime live instant performance variations, each Output has a dedicated detented Octave knob.

I have yet to explore the presets, other than CVing between the stock factory presets, which produces significant variations in sound.
chaosick
[quote="mt3"]
chaosick wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Cortega wrote:

greetz

Cheap and Quick Fun
nanners

Quote:
Have you ever wondered what it would sound like if you added or subtracted two pitch sequences? If you FM'd an oscillator with the sum or difference while swapping between two pitch sequences?

Yes; I've frequently done this by using 2 cv from SH to 2 separate osc while semi-syncing one of these osc to the other while modulating all parameters on the SH2.

Based on what you've seen, I don't really see a compelling reason why I'd want the Argos.
mt3
Didn't add to my original post in time, but there's still quite a bit more as well that I haven't sexplored yet.
* shotgun marriage with Brainseed and Tyme Sefari mk I
* Quantizer Trigger In for track-and-hold
* chord aspects
* vibrato phase offset
* assigning slew pre-quantizer for arpeggiation (not my cup of tea in general)
* quantization as bit crusher
* multi-stage FM frequency controller manipulator
* quantizer feedback

chaosick wrote:
Based on what you've seen, I don't really see a compelling reason why I'd want the Argos.

Hmmm, challenge accepted?
I'll try to get something cooked up, though looks like you've already made up your mind.
Feel free to make suggestions for anything you would like to see/hear.

chaosick wrote:
I've frequently done this by using 2 cv from SH to 2 separate osc while semi-syncing one of these osc to the other while modulating all parameters on the SH2.

I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing as what I tried to convey. The idea I had in mind would be similar to the RingMod'd output of two signals, but within the space/domain of quantized frequencies. A different type of heterodyning. This is what I'm imagining but have yet to explore. Since you asked I figure I'd share the questions I hadn't considered before.

EDIT: Removed quad quantizer reference. Unsure what to accurately refer to the Argos as.
Cortega
[quote="mt3"]
Cortega wrote:

greetz

great, looking forward, thanks
mt3

Perfect Circuit beat me to a bit of the funky freakiness and FM aid approach.
dysonant
SHIT! That was kind of amazing. I do not know what to do. I have been using the Apitecht & Triad to control voices. I do not care that much about the arpeggio functions and more about the triad part. I am feeling like I might need to sell it and switch to this.
mt3
dysonant wrote:
SHIT! That was kind of amazing. I do not know what to do. I have been using the Apitecht & Triad to control voices. I do not care that much about the arpeggio functions and more about the triad part. I am feeling like I might need to sell it and switch to this.

Actually 5 minutes after I stated the arpeggiation isn't my cup of tea I realized it was my dark roast. You can assign the Trigger Out to a channel with arpeggiation so that whenever a note changes a trigger is sent. Rhythmic action synced. Want to try it ASAP.
dysonant
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

Actually 5 minutes after I stated the arpeggiation isn't my cup of tea I realized it was my dark roast. You can assign the Trigger Out to a channel with arpeggiation so that whenever a note changes a trigger is sent. Rhythmic action synced. Want to try it ASAP.

Interesting, so it sends a trigger on note change. Essentially all I would lose from the Apritecht is pre-programed rhythms and slides, which honestly I was never very fond of anyway.
mt3
mt3 wrote:

Easier to annotate this vid for now...

Unison Vibrato Swarm Patch
* the u1 on the LED refers to vibrato phase offset between each output

Four Part Harmony Patch
* the Chord presets are being CV'd and incremented, which is displayed on the LED. The chord changes are stepped through every bar.

Two-Voice Filter FM Patch
* one of a gazillion FM patch ideas
* illustrates the realtime effect of turning the Octave knobs for performance manipulation

Note that every patch used a SINGLE Pitch input. As I mentioned earlier, it gets busy quite easily with just one input being used. None of this video dares plug anything into Input B.
Also illustrates the "musicality" and "harmonicty" aspect I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Let me add that the use of only one Pitch input is a vanilla use of the Argos, even more introductory than viewing it as an SHmk2 expander. There's quite a bit more chaos not yet approached and explored in the video.
chaosick
mt3 wrote:

Yes, I saw that.

1st part: It just sounds mostly like when I apply some exponential FM to my oscillators.

4 Part Harmony: Seems like I could get the same effect (and I've done this more or less) by putting all 4 cv out from SH2 to 4 osc with the same envelope and/or 1 cv mult and various osc tuned some interval apart from each other (also done).

Other parts: independent slew--isn't this sort of what you can also achieve by varying amounts of lin or exp FM in different osc and using the slide parameter of SH2?

I can see there's more convenience in some of these things than doing it these other ways, but I can't see how it's worth another $500 (more probably after import duties)--if anything, it would seem more interesting to pick up a used, 2nd SH2 for that price.
guestt
I'm having similar dilemmas over this one, I am just not getting it... I agree that it seems like a weird kinda of add on to the SHmk][

...but I know nothing really... following with interest!!
mt3
mt3 wrote:

Through-Zero Preset Select with/and/or Variable Default Step Assignment
Brilliant.
Fookin' brilliant.
Yes, what I wrote is intended to communicate a feature which is new to me but now I want it in all my modules please.

In the video I had no bloody idea whatthafukc was going on when the encoder knob was being manipulated when none of the Outputs were active (each output's LED was off).

By default there are 16 presets, 1-16, where 0V in the CV corresponds to preset 1, 3.75V selects preset 12, and 5V is preset 16.

Turning the encoder to preset 4 now becomes:
0V = preset 4 (set as new default)
3.75V = preset 16
5V = preset 3

I THINK if a CV > 5V is sent into CV In, it wraps around the preset bank eg., 6.25V would select preset 8 in the 2nd example (and preset 4 in the default example). I'll verify this later. I'll also send it negative voltage and see if it reacts.

If any other modules feature this, please mention below.
This is brutally brilliant and can't wait for firmware updates for my Piston Honda! All wavetable based modules MUST have this from now on.
Fukc.
mt3
chaosick wrote:
I can see there's more convenience in some of these things than doing it these other ways, but I can't see how it's worth another $500 (more probably after import duties)--if anything, it would seem more interesting to pick up a used, 2nd SH2 for that price.

Don't get me started about being a fellow Canucklehead and how this hobby is a premium to us. Exchange rates are low currently, I guess that's a benefit of Trump...

Keep the skeptical comments and thoughts coming. They're helping me understand the module better.
The Harvestman
governor blacksnake
This module is not exclusively a Stillson Hammer expander, but if you're controlling multiple oscillators from multiple tracks of the SH you can free up those sequencer tracks for other modulation by letting Argos handle the most common tuning/harmonization tasks. Argos (in input A+B mode) can also flawlessly execute a sequence transposition (per channel), a feature missing from the Stillson Hammer. For those who do not own a Stillson Hammer due to ideological incompatibility with multifunction sliders, you can imitate some of the same control behaviors using another sequencer and the Argos Bleak.

The Perfect Circuit video covers many of the on-label uses of the device, and mt3 has some really fun suggestions as well, but I look forward to each user developing their own unique applications for THE WORLD'S MOST EXPENSIVE OCTAVE SWITCH. This is a modular device and it will reward unconventional patching technique.

The chord CV input accepts a CV from 0-5V, but if you've used the encoder to change the chord preset then it'll wrap the value around when hitting the numerical maximum for that bank. Early, pre-release versions of the Piston mk2 code had similar wraparound behavior as well. I am revisiting circular modulations in some upcoming devices.
chaosick
mt3 wrote:
chaosick wrote:

Don't get me started about being a fellow Canucklehead and how this hobby is a premium to us. Exchange rates are low currently, I guess that's a benefit of Trump...

Keep the skeptical comments and thoughts coming. They're helping me understand the module better.
The Harvestman

I appreciate your thoroughness--maybe you can give me an in person demo some time? So you are also in Vancouver? We should meet up!

Nick
chaosick
This module is not exclusively a Stillson Hammer expander, but if you're controlling multiple oscillators from multiple tracks of the SH you can free up those sequencer tracks for other modulation by letting Argos handle the most common tuning/harmonization tasks.

Yes, I had that thought, but at that price I'd rather just buy some other oscillators and/or dedicated modulation..
revoltcrews
Argos power specs posted on site today thumbs up

+210/-40mA current draw
mt3
revoltcrews wrote:
Argos power specs posted on site today thumbs up

+210/-40mA current draw

Updated modulargrid page.
thumbs up
mt3
chaosick wrote:
mt3 wrote:
chaosick wrote:

The Harvestman

I appreciate your thoroughness--maybe you can give me an in person demo some time? So you are also in Vancouver? We should meet up!

Nick

Yes, PMd.
There's quite a few Harvestfan heads here in Canada's Seattle, we're scattered and yet to ogle each others racks.
mt3
The chord CV input accepts a CV from 0-5V, but if you've used the encoder to change the chord preset then it'll wrap the value around when hitting the numerical maximum for that bank. Early, pre-release versions of the Piston mk2 code had similar wraparound behavior as well. I am revisiting circular modulations in some upcoming devices.

fap fap fap...
Om
The Harvestman
revoltcrews
looks like firmware update v1.3 is live for Argos on site cool
Haven't tried it yet. will do later today..
------
v. 1.3: September 14, 2017

Pressing the encoder button while in scale/root selection mode toggles between the two, like on Stillson Hammer.

New feature: CV delay line. Each channel now has a short delay line that can be used instead of the slew limiter. To access it, select the “S.2” option from the slew selection menu of the desired channel and use the associated Slew knob to adjust the delay length. When active, the delay is also enabled/disabled by the slew gate input.

New feature: internal channel routing. Several input sources have been added to each channel’s input selection menu. Input sources C1-C4 take as their CV input the output of the named channel. This is useful for chaining channels to get longer CV delay times, or to try combinations of delay/slew while patching the intermediate output to another oscillator. If you select the input source “—“, the input is disabled and the only voltage sources for that output will be the octave knob, the detune knob, and the vibrato generator.
------
mt3
Output Rotation

http://soundcloud.com/industrialmusicelectronics/argos-bleak-rotation
revoltcrews
mt3 wrote:
Output Rotation

http://soundcloud.com/industrialmusicelectronics/argos-bleak-rotation

sounds fantastic Rockin' Banana! nice demo
mt3
FYI sunfalls representin' Control Voltage and ignatius representin' Modular 8.
Both create excellent experimentally rhythmic music.
Check it all out if you can!
mt3
REwire wrote:
Are the smaller knobs center detented?

When moving a centered knob away from tune or adding LFO it's a pain to get them to perfect 0CV without a click off mode.

Dan

Yes, (almost) all small knobs on Harvestman modules have centered detents.
mt3
[s]http://soundcloud.com/industrialmusicelectronics/argos-bleak-intern al-cv-feedback[/s]

https://soundcloud.com/industrialmusicelectronics/argos-bleak-internal -cv-feedback

From IME:
"Using the IME Argos Bleak with its four channels arranged in a closed feedback loop, with delay. Absolutely no CV input to Argos bleak's quantizer is used, all pitch signals are generated through the feedback process. Synthwerks FSR-4 is used to control delay enable, quantizer enable, chord selection, and output rotation. The CV outputs control 1x Hertz Donut MKII and 1x Piston Honda MKII with low art enforcement provided by a Malgorithm MKII."
mt3
More unsolicitations...

ARGOS BLEAK

What Is It? v2
Argos can be characterized (for now) as providing immediate tactile access to the entire spectrum of harmonically related sound via the Argos interface alone. Argos is a "quantizer"/"oscillator aid" much like “Violator” by Depeche Mode would be similar to album titled “Violator” by Whitehouse or Pasolini or Coum Transmissions (HINT: the etymology of Coum is an intended entendre).

Historical Context
* For those new to Europeanrack history, this module reeks of what the mark I days must have been like (apply a negative CV offset of 8 years to your calendars). Double Andore was an "envelope generator", Hertz Donut was a "dual oscillator", Tyme Sefari was a “sampler”, and now Argos Bleak is an "oscillar controller". This is what that epoch must have felt like.

Patch: Notebursts
* Harmonically synced burst generator by setting slew pre-quantizer and using Trigger On Note Change Output. increase the slew for more notebursts.

Patch: 2D Sequencer
* as a SHmk2 expander, the two modules combine to become a 2D sequencer (not unique to Argos + SHmk2, a similar device can be constructed with any 2 sequencers). Step through the chords at some master clock rate, and set SHmk2 EXT CLK to 1/16 of master clock. Thus at every step for the SHmk2, the Argos plays through 16 chords. Reverse the clock arrangement and for every chord preset of the Argos, the SHmk2 runs through its sequence.
REwire
I'm confused by the claim that the built in LFO can make you not need a Quad LFO. There seems to be one rate that can apply to all four outputs in diff amounts or offset but not what a quad LFO would do; a different rate for each VCO.

Not that I still don't love it! This is fun!

Dan
mt3
The Quad LFO/Quantizer claim is my attempt to try and explain the module, and isn't accurate. It takes two (or one, or none!) CV inputs and outputs various permutations on its 4 outputs.
guestt
I just got the HDmk][ making the most BoC warbly two note chords, sounds great!

It is a supremely weird module, but I am glad it exists - I can think of a million and one uses for it now I have had hands on and experienced the heart and soul of it first hand!
guestt
I can't quite believe how much Argos Bleak is making my system make sense!

It's infinitely useful... I always got a lot out of my Harvestman case anyway, but this is magic.

I get what you're saying about the Quad LFO analogy, it's very nice to have four related signals to send around, I'm currently using two to drive the two HDmk][ oscillators and the other two for modulation of other things and then modulating the chord cv in with another channel on SHmk][

It's unlike anything I've ever made before, somehow it just seems to work in a very nice way, I hope to be able to present a better explanation of why I think this is at some point in the future.

Some kind of voodoo going on...

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy The Harvestman
guestt
Little demo of Argos Bleak, nothing special, but it sure sounds nice:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/kel/argosbleak[/s]
guestt
Eloquencer music; all sounds are ER-301, also featuring Argos Bleak!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/kel/tentative-bloom[/s]

Apologies for cross posting, but going to put this in a couple of places here on MW where it's relevant!
timoka
can this module act as a simple quantizer? when i add a cv from a sequencer to input a and change scales on argos bleak i hear no difference at all, i think i set up everything correctly, but the scale selection seems to only have an effect when adding or subtracting semitones to a channel, is this right?
and is it possible, maybe in future to add custom scales?
guestt
Ok, something a bit more weird, this is all IME:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/kel/androids-lament[/s]
mt3
Baddcr wrote:
Ok, something a bit more weird, this is all IME:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/kel/androids-lament[/s]

Damn nice. Complements well with the droid imagery.
guestt
Thanks mt3 grin

I was a little uncertain about posting it, I have about a dozen variants and I couldn't decide which one, this is one of the tamer ones - AB can go crazy - I think it's amazing!!
mt3
The crazier the better. You're at the right place for stripping off any inhibitions!
The Harvestman

Did you make that image?
governor blacksnake
timoka wrote:
can this module act as a simple quantizer? when i add a cv from a sequencer to input a and change scales on argos bleak i hear no difference at all, i think i set up everything correctly, but the scale selection seems to only have an effect when adding or subtracting semitones to a channel, is this right?
and is it possible, maybe in future to add custom scales?

Unlike Stillson Hammer (whose quantizer achieves different scale roots by transposing the slider settings upward), Argos Bleak takes a 12-tone chromatic scale, reduces it into your selected scale, and applies those selected intervals to your input signal to be quantized. There is a lot of redundancy in the available output CV scales as a result (C major is D dorian and so on). The quantizer should work within the selected scale on all channels even if you aren't using chords, rotation, or semitone shifts. Are you still having trouble getting the unit to do simple quantization? Tell me about your problem, I use it for this every day.

There's a lot of weirdness going on in the quantizer code to achieve the speed that it has over 4 channels, so unfortunately the scales are preset.
wireangel
Picked up my Argos Bleak from Perfect Circuit this week. Was excited to get it and have to say, after first play, it's amazing. Being able to simply manage a bank of oscillators so quickly changes how I can quickly make pitch/harmonic shifts, dramatically.

Nothing too clever so far, but being able to run 3 oscillators off of 2 Stillson Hammer tracks (1 from A, 1 from B and 1 from A+B) with B running /16 from A!!!! I think I turned on some delay and sat back and listened for about 40 mins! :-)

Did notice that I should really calibrate my oscillators as my HD mkii's mod oscillator was pitched differently than the carrier when both pots were at zero.

Thanks Governor, really great module.
wireangel
Soundcloud link of quick recording of above test patch. First line is Channel A controlling Piston Honda. Second line that enters is pure sawtooth from HD mkii controlled by Channel B. Last line to enter is the mod oscillator from HD mkii controlled by A+B. Some octave offsets were used on the individual oscillators.

Some delay and reverb added to make it more enjoyable!
;-)

Hope it's not too 'pretty' for Harvestman.

Soundcloud direct link[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/cen-8/bleak-harvest[/s]
mt3
wireangel wrote:
Soundcloud link of quick recording of above test patch. First line is Channel A controlling Piston Honda. Second line that enters is pure sawtooth from HD mkii controlled by Channel B. Last line to enter is the mod oscillator from HD mkii controlled by A+B. Some octave offsets were used on the individual oscillators.

Some delay and reverb added to make it more enjoyable!
;-)

Hope it's not too 'pretty' for Harvestman.

Soundcloud direct link[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/cen-8/bleak-harvest[/s]

Pretty?
Pretty brilliant.
wireangel
Cheers MT!

The Bleak seems so straightforward in some respects but it really seems to be some kind of magic. The ability to quickly manipulate pitch and harmonic relationships opens up tons for sequencer outputs, but is also awesome for designing drones etc.

It works so well with SH mkii and v2.0 is going to be a whole other level.
wireangel
Quick patch from this morning using the Bleak to combine a couple of channels from the SHii. Started with the melodic fragments (HDmkii) then took the modulating channel to derive the bass, which is IME Polivoks osc-filter-env-vca.

Patch uses CVA and B inputs from additional channels on the SHii to create the random melodic fragments.

Finding that the Bleak and Hammer are an amazing combination for creating motifs that can appear/disappear with the ability to derive additional 'versions' or elements.

Some delay and reverb added post in Live.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/cen-8/november-morning[/s]
rustyjaw
Just ordered an Argos Bleak! I'm super excited. I've basically been after something like this for a while, in fact I bought the SMR mainly because of the 1voct out feature that was added in FW5.0, this way I could drive up to 6 oscillators in a chord, and I got some nice results that way, but the level of control is limited. And the AB brings a lot more to the table besides.
rustyjaw
So I got the Argos Bleak today. Just before installing it, I noticed that the bottom-most trim pot is bent at about 45-degrees from the PCB. The other two are perfectly flush to it. I sent a report and this pic to IME support.

It powers on OK. I was able to update the FW. I stated to calibrate the HD MkII but when I connect to output 3 from
The AB, turning the trimpots on the HD I can only get it as high as G6...whereas the manual says that output 3 should be C7. This may be unrelated to the bent trim pot, but I have no idea.

mt3
Mine is also angled, so probably by design.
rustyjaw
mt3 wrote:
Mine is also angled, so probably by design.

Ah ok. That’s good to hear. Kind of curious though.

Now I’m stumped about the HD MkII calibration. If I don’t rotate the fine tune full CCW, but put it as close to center as I can (no detent), then I can get it to reach C7. I guess that’s ok?
mt3
rustyjaw wrote:
Now I’m stumped about the HD MkII calibration. If I don’t rotate the fine tune full CCW, but put it as close to center as I can (no detent), then I can get it to reach C7. I guess that’s ok?

rustyjaw wrote:
...whereas the manual says that output 3 should be C7.

The first line in the manual is the golden one:
Industrial Music Electronics oscillators such as the Hertz Donut or Piston Honda are already scaled to perform well with Argos Bleak.
Automagic.
rustyjaw
mt3 wrote:
rustyjaw wrote:

rustyjaw wrote:
...whereas the manual says that output 3 should be C7.

The first line in the manual is the golden one:
Industrial Music Electronics oscillators such as the Hertz Donut or Piston Honda are already scaled to perform well with Argos Bleak.
Automagic.

Yes, I did see that. However, I'd recently updated my HD FW and had calibrated it using the SH. That experience fresh in my mind, and having the tools out already, I thought I'd see how it went to the AB. That's when I hit a ceiling of C7. For now I just redid it with the SH.

I think I'm going to need a voltmeter in the near future to take the guessing out of all of this. Anyone have recommendations for one well suited to calibrating modular stuff?
mt3
Skip the voltmeter.
Mordax Data or OD ER-301.
rustyjaw
mt3 wrote:
Skip the voltmeter.
Mordax Data or OD ER-301.

Oh! Another excuse to get the 301!
guestt
No excuse not to get an ER-301 - king of the modular hill imho - the whole thing is just ridiculously good!

Actually there is one reason... it's not for those who don't like programming - if you are even a little bit geeky about that kind of thing - it's just insanely good!
Veqtor
I'm really interested in argos bleak, for its seemingly live playability and egonomics, but in my music I frequently use non-western scales such as "Japanese", Pelog, Slendro and Ryukyuan scales...
It would also be very nice to be able to adjust the temperament/tuning...
Any chance these functions will be added in a later firmware update?

Edit:
More suggestions:
Combinatorial modes of input A & B such as:
A%B (modulo)
A only octave + B without octave
(A + 1-12)%12 + B <<addition signified using dots blinking at various frequencies
A & B (bitwise and)
A ^B (bitwise xor)
hyena
you can also use references app in Ornament+Crime to have frequency metering\note value
mt3
Veqtor wrote:
I'm really interested in argos bleak, for its seemingly live playability and egonomics, but in my music I frequently use non-western scales such as "Japanese", Pelog, Slendro and Ryukyuan scales...
It would also be very nice to be able to adjust the temperament/tuning...
Any chance these functions will be added in a later firmware update?

Edit:
More suggestions:
Combinatorial modes of input A & B such as:
A%B (modulo)
A only octave + B without octave
(A + 1-12)%12 + B <<addition signified using dots blinking at various frequencies
A & B (bitwise and)
A ^B (bitwise or)

Yes to all.
guestt
+1 from me too thumbs up
wireangel
Definitely a fan of the combinatorial side of this module. Amazing how much variation you can derive from 2 sources whilst keeping them 'related'. The old Kurzweil K2k series had some great logical processing for control sources. Could definitely see much utility for different techniques, such as extracting the higher or lower of the 2 voltages or more transforms or scaling (multiplication) of one by the other.

LOL, somewhat more than an oscillator controller!
Villarceau
Argos is the many-eyed monster to me. eyes... eyes...
eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes...

And Bleak is how the world looks to it, doomed to gazing at it with at least one waking eye as it guards the herd relentlessy. screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo

I could not resist so much poetry and ordered the module.
Dead Banana
Veqtor
I couldn't resist. Ordered one. Hoping those scales will get some love... Also need blues scale! Rockin' Banana!
rustyjaw
Anyone else have odd behavior when storing a preset (via holding down the encoder while pressing Chord)?

I've done this while a sequence is playing through the Argos Bleak and everything goes a bit wonky at the moment of saving - and after saving, some settings seem to be changed.

I'm still getting to know this module, so I've not tracked exactly what may have changed before and after saving. If this continues to happen, I will submit a bug report. At this point, I just want to know if this is also happening for others.

My AB is updated to FW 1.3
Veqtor
Argos delivers!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcakWn4D5wA/
rustyjaw
rustyjaw wrote:
Anyone else have odd behavior when storing a preset (via holding down the encoder while pressing Chord)?

I've done this while a sequence is playing through the Argos Bleak and everything goes a bit wonky at the moment of saving - and after saving, some settings seem to be changed.

So after familiarizing myself more with the AB, I can answer my own question. What was confusing me is that when you save, the AB automatically returns to Chord preset 01. This is somewhat annoying, but not a serious problem.
mt3
rustyjaw wrote:
rustyjaw wrote:

So after familiarizing myself more with the AB, I can answer my own question. What was confusing me is that when you save, the AB automatically returns to Chord preset 01. This is somewhat annoying, but not a serious problem.

Sorry for not following up. Free time luxury before the holydays.
Maybe it's a bug and send in a bug report?
mt3
Veqtor wrote:
Argos delivers!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcakWn4D5wA/

Your module boxes interior decorating looks identical to my environment.
thumbs up
rustyjaw
After my typical period of slow learning, I'm starting to get a handle on the Bleak. Here's a thing I recorded this morning. The bleak is controlling three oscilators here, a Dixie II, STO, and E330. There are two sequences going into the Bleak, both from the SH MkII. I use input swap to occasionally switch from one to the other. I built four chord presets on the Bleak which are being walked through by Rene. (the noisy fuzz that comes in after a while is the same sequence recorded into Morphagene, only I bumped up the octave dials on the AB before recording)

[s]https://soundcloud.com/rustyjaw/beauty-in-the-bleak[/s]
guestt
This is great grin

AB is making my modular sound a lot bigger than it is too - I think it has the record for being the most WTF? to the most OMG! module ever!
KoryB
rustyjaw wrote:
After my typical period of slow learning, I'm starting to get a handle on the Bleak. Here's a thing I recorded this morning. The bleak is controlling three oscilators here, a Dixie II, STO, and E330. There are two sequences going into the Bleak, both from the SH MkII. I use input swap to occasionally switch from one to the other. I built four chord presets on the Bleak which are being walked through by Rene. (the noisy fuzz that comes in after a while is the same sequence recorded into Morphagene, only I bumped up the octave dials on the AB before recording)

[s]https://soundcloud.com/rustyjaw/beauty-in-the-bleak[/s]

this is fantastic!
yeatsvisitslincoln
Question about the A+B and A-B outputs and how they are quantized. Is the math done to the two inputs before they are quantized? Or are they added together after quantization and then adjusted accordingly. I'm assuming it will never output a value that isn't in the scale mask (to steal a term from the O_C).
mt3
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Question about the A+B and A-B outputs and how they are quantized. Is the math done to the two inputs before they are quantized? Or are they added together after quantization and then adjusted accordingly. I'm assuming it will never output a value that isn't in the scale mask (to steal a term from the O_C).

Outputs are within the scale mask (sounds like it).
Unsure whether the A+B or A-B are pre or post quantizer.
what gives?
What's the range of the detune knob?
Villarceau
what gives? wrote:
What's the range of the detune knob?

12 semitones.
6 semitones down and 6 semitones up
wireangel
[s]https://soundcloud.com/rustyjaw/beauty-in-the-bleak[/s][/quote]

Lovely tour through the fog, Rustyjaw! Haven't dug into those chord set ups yet. Still(happily) lost in the labyrinth of the SHii and Bleak paring. Inspired to dig further!

Happy New Year Harvestman folks!
dropthedyle
The last firmware is real fun in arpeggio mode !

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/news/13
mt3
dropthedyle wrote:
The last firmware is real fun in arpeggio mode !

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/news/13

Requires an announcement!
mt3

from rustyjaw

"Final (promise :-) take on this patch. This started out as an exploration of the Argos Bleak, using most of it's features including all 4 outputs, both inputs, input swap, chord preset progression, vibrato and slew.

All voices are controlled by the Argos Bleak, the sequence is from the Stilton Hammer MkII. A second sequence is occasionally swapped for the main one to add a little variation.

The 4 voices are Dixie II, STO, E330, and Rings (being fed audio from Piston Honda MkII). All of the voices are fed into the 4 inputs on Three Sisters which I manipulate as things prDelay from 4MS DLD and Clouds in looping delay mode.

Everything is clocked from Pamela's Workout, which I manually slow down as the track progresses. Starting at 63 BPM and ending at 47."
mt3
duplicate
rustyjaw
mt3 wrote:

from rustyjaw

Thanks! It's just a further variation on the "Beauty in the Bleak" soundcloud above. The main difference is using the 4th Argos Bleak output to drive a related melodic line, and filtering all the sounds differently.

Time to unpatch that and try something new now that I have a better handle on the Argos (and now with new firmware).
rustyjaw
Wow, I was just reading the manual again, trying to undertand the behavior of the CV in for "Destination" and something jumped out at me.

"in the RED mode, the CV will rotate the semitone data across the 4 outputs, with the attenuator acting as a manual control"

How did I miss this before? I know I read it, but somehow it never sank in, this is huge, IMO. Cycling the outputs? So nice!

Does the second part imply that (in RED mode) the CV in doesn't do anything...only the position of the knob?
mt3
rustyjaw wrote:
Wow, I was just reading the manual again, trying to undertand the behavior of the CV in for "Destination" and something jumped out at me.

"in the RED mode, the CV will rotate the semitone data across the 4 outputs, with the attenuator acting as a manual control"

How did I miss this before? I know I read it, but somehow it never sank in, this is huge, IMO. Cycling the outputs? So nice!

Does the second part imply that (in RED mode) the CV in doesn't do anything...only the position of the knob?

I believe it does? CV offset?
dysonant
My world is about to get more Bleak. I'm picking up a AB later this week. I've got a question I'm hoping you folks can answer.

The Zorlon Cannon MKII CV output, even when at a constant level is somewhat noisy. I have run it through a quantizer before and I get undesirable trills because steps/gates are uneven. Has anyone used the Zorlon Cannon as a pitch CV source for the Argos Bleak?
mt3
dysonant wrote:
My world is about to get more Bleak. I'm picking up a AB later this week. I've got a question I'm hoping you folks can answer.

The Zorlon Cannon MKII CV output, even when at a constant level is somewhat noisy. I have run it through a quantizer before and I get undesirable trills because steps/gates are uneven. Has anyone used the Zorlon Cannon as a pitch CV source for the Argos Bleak?

I could test this out later tonight for you.

Unsure how Zorlon's Ch A Mix Out can be noisy, but I'll look into it. Do you mean each individual Out for Ch A, or Ch A's Mix Out?
dysonant
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

Unsure how Zorlon's Ch A Mix Out can be noisy, but I'll look into it. Do you mean each individual Out for Ch A, or Ch A's Mix Out?

Definitely talking about the MIX out. I was looking at the MIX out on the DATA and messing around with the attenuverters. You can get different height steps/gates out of the MIX. Also, it is bi-polar, so I offset the MIX out to be above zero, then ran MIX into a quantizer. The result was a semi-random, but in key melody. However, the inherent noisiness of each gate (meaning the top of the square is not stable) made my quantizer freak out a bit.
mt3
dysonant wrote:
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

Definitely talking about the MIX out. I was looking at the MIX out on the DATA and messing around with the attenuverters. You can get different height steps/gates out of the MIX. Also, it is bi-polar, so I offset the MIX out to be above zero, then ran MIX into a quantizer. The result was a semi-random, but in key melody. However, the inherent noisiness of each gate (meaning the top of the square is not stable) made my quantizer freak out a bit.

I'll have an O'Tool in next week so will report back then if I can't scope it by then.
Ch A is 0-5V and Ch B bipolar on the Zorlon. Nonetheless, the MIX OUT for both should be steady. I use it as a pseudo-sample-and-hold but never noticed the instability.
dysonant
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

I was going out of MIX B. I am picking up my Argos Bleak tonight, so I will also see if I can scope and take some pictures of the ZC output this weekend.

I'll have an O'Tool in next week so will report back then if I can't scope it by then.
Ch A is 0-5V and Ch B bipolar on the Zorlon. Nonetheless, the MIX OUT for both should be steady. I use it as a pseudo-sample-and-hold but never noticed the instability.
dysonant
no idea why my last post was just a quote, I swear I posted something. Anyway, I have yet to test the Zorlon going into the Argos, but I will soon. Though here is my first patch with the Argos Bleak. Not quite so fancy, but I like being able to shift several VCOs at once

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dysonant/exocomp-5[/s]
mt3
dysonant wrote:
no idea why my last post was just a quote, I swear I posted something. Anyway, I have yet to test the Zorlon going into the Argos, but I will soon. Though here is my first patch with the Argos Bleak. Not quite so fancy, but I like being able to shift several VCOs at once

Nice drop. What is the filtration(s) employed?
dysonant
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:

Nice drop. What is the filtration(s) employed?

Thanks. On the pad noise it was 2 channels of DPO (at related pitches, thanks Argos Bleak) into Three Sisters. The sub bass was an E352 with ch 1 out clean but a morphing cloud and ch2 multed out a sine clean and the other split into a Trogotronic m679. Which is giving all the filter spitting and chirping noise.
rustyjaw
Just came back to this thread to heap on more praise and "thank you"-s for this wonderful module. The more I use it, and get comfortable with it, the more impressed I am and the more fun I'm having with it. It's enabling me to go in new directions with my modular system, I love it.
RLK
I'm slow in getting confident command over this module.
One issue is I no longer am getting a trigger signal out.

That said here are a couple of recordings using "AB".
This is a simple patch with 2 saw wave oscillators through filters and the Verbos HO.
The fourth quantize channel is effecting the Verbos HO's harmonic spread.
One of the VHO's higher harmonic outs is serving as the fourth voice.
The clock is running the a Depltronics trigger man, which which gives four envelopes different rhythms to open each voice's VCA.

This patch has AB channeled as such:
Akemie's Castle. (set up in the sixth 1. 2-3, 4 algorithm)
1>Channel A. Operator 2 Harm Mult, Wave select
2>Operator1 Harm Mult, Wave select
3>Channel B. Operator 4 Harm Mult, Wave select
4> Operator 1 Harm Mult, Wave select

E352 2> invertor > Voit/oct
Elements 1>invertor> Volt/Oct
(Apologies I screwed up the gain when recording this. You may need to turn it up a bit.)

mt3
RLK wrote:

Welcome to Harvestman! Fortune favors the brave...

RLK wrote:

What firmware?
From the manual:
Argos Bleak Manual wrote:
QUANTIZER TRIGGER OUT - When Channel 1’s quantizer picks a new note based on the incoming voltage, a trigger event will re from this jack. It has no effect if channel 1’s quantizer is disabled.

I believe "ch 1 quantizer" is disabled when its SCALE TYPE is set to --.
RLK
Thanks mt3! Is it okay if i do NOT want my quantizer to require bravery? >80)
I'm using firmware 1.5
Same behavior, no trigger out even when changing scales on channel 1.
I also checked the output setting to be sure the "." bypass was not engaged.
There are other issues, but I want to be sure it's not just new user mistakes before sharing.
I definitely have to get used to remembering the color code for the buttons.
I think part of (my) problem is gaps in documentation.
"Internal routing and internal cv delay" in firmware 1.3 Great! But how is this accessed and implemented?
Another confusing thing is there are different readings on the display than are described in the manual. Example output types:
A, B, AB, A.B, A-B., then C3, C4, C5, etc.
Also there is an S2 setting in the slew that is not explained.
(edit) I see an explanation of the above items on revoltcrew's post (thank you!).
Why isn't this info on the site?
I'm sure part of problems I'm having were due to not having that info.

A list of the chord types in the chord presets would also be very helpful.

Sorry if I sound at all bitchy, I see a lot of potential with the AB and might be impatient to get over the learning "hump".

mt3 wrote:
RLK wrote:

Welcome to Harvestman! Fortune favors the brave...

RLK wrote:

What firmware?
From the manual:
Argos Bleak Manual wrote:
QUANTIZER TRIGGER OUT - When Channel 1’s quantizer picks a new note based on the incoming voltage, a trigger event will re from this jack. It has no effect if channel 1’s quantizer is disabled.

I believe "ch 1 quantizer" is disabled when its SCALE TYPE is set to --.
mt3
RLK wrote:
Thanks mt3! Is it okay if i do NOT want my quantizer to require bravery? >80)
I'm using firmware 1.5
Same behavior, no trigger out even when changing scales on channel 1.
I also checked the output setting to be sure the "." bypass was not engaged.
There are other issues, but I want to be sure it's not just new user mistakes before sharing.
I definitely have to get used to remembering the color code for the buttons.
I think part of (my) problem is gaps in documentation.
"Internal routing and internal cv delay" in firmware 1.3 Great! But how is this accessed and implemented?
Another confusing thing is there are different readings on the display than are described in the manual. Example output types:
A, B, AB, A.B, A-B., then C3, C4, C5, etc.
Also there is an S2 setting in the slew that is not explained.
(edit) I see an explanation of the above items on revoltcrew's post (thank you!).
Why isn't this info on the site?
I'm sure part of problems I'm having were due to not having that info.

A list of the chord types in the chord presets would also be very helpful

The firmware release notes are essentially manual addendums. Here is ver 1.3 update where S.2 is explained.

New feature: CV delay line. Each channel now has a short delay line that can be used instead of the slew limiter. To access it, select the “S.2” option from the slew selection menu of the desired channel and use the associated Slew knob to adjust the delay length. When active, the delay is also enabled/disabled by the slew gate input.

New feature: internal channel routing. Several input sources have been added to each channel’s input selection menu. Input sources C1-C4 take as their CV input the output of the named channel. This is useful for chaining channels to get longer CV delay times, or to try combinations of delay/slew while patching the intermediate output to another oscillator. If you select the input source “—“, the input is disabled and the only voltage sources for that output will be the octave knob, the detune knob, and the vibrato generator.

So C1 is Channel 1's output, C2 is Channel 2's output, etc.
Essentially this is an no-input internally-normalled quantizer/requantizer/dequantizer feedback loop scale morphmutator.
Set Ch 1 to C2 (Channel 2's output).
Set Ch 2 to C1 (Channel 1's output).
You can see the theoretical whatthafun already.

Plug Ch 1 output to HD Primary and Ch 2 output to HD Modulator.
Turn the knobs on Argos Bleak.
Listen.
Ignore the text captions below the knobs (they don't correspond to reality anymore, the manual is an effigy of ashes).
Listen.
Simple and quick unusual timbre (de)generator.
RLK
Great info, mt3 - thank you!
I did see some of this info on revoltcrew's post.

In fact yesterday, I incorporated that info into a copy of the manual.
I could share if anyone wanted to review/revise or use.

I also put together a "Bleak Cheat Sheet" (say that fast three times):

mt3
RLK wrote:
Great info, mt3 - thank you!
I did see some of this info on revoltcrew's post.

I also put together a "Bleak Cheat Sheet" (say that fast three times):

You win one internet!
SlayerBadger!
Sinamsis
I've had my Argos Bleak for a week or two, and have had limited time with it, but I'm slowly getting to know it. I've used it with the Stillson Hammer as the heart of these two patches.

This first one I used it to control 3 Kermit oscillators (I just snagged a seond, what a great idea!) for chords. Other voice is the PH sequenced by the SH. Shaker sound is from the second section of the Zorlon Cannon, sequenced by the first section, into the Malgorithm, Double Andore and then the Tyme Sefari. Kick from Basimilus Iteritas Alter.

This one used the SH/Argos Bleak to sequence the Hertz Donut (two outs of AB control each oscillator of the HD) as well as the Piston Honda. Zorlon Cannon sending gates to the Argos Bleak. SH sequences hat sounds from Polivoks modulator noise source into Dual Borg and then Double Andore, then Tyme Sefari. Kick from BIA.

mt3
RLK wrote:

Yes, please do.
robotopsy
Studying a lot the Argos !!!! Dead Banana Rockin' Banana!
Will enventually share the learnings
hopefully soooooon !!!! hmmm.....
guestt
robotopsy wrote:

Oooh yes please - been waiting for this!!!

we're not worthy
digitalohm
I've just started digging into the argos bleak. at first I felt there was too much overlap with the sh mk2, but now I'm enjoying having more of the sh mk2 tracks free for CV sequencing.

Definitely can't wait for the Robotospy video on it, I feel I haven't scratched the surface.

I'm currently feeding in values from the polivoks modulator s&h (basic quantizer patch). Does anyone know if the argos bleak possibly has a hidden offset parameter grin. I'm using a SSF S.P.O and Miggs to move the ranges of values around so the notes aren't all over the place. This would be a great feature to have internal to the bleak!
mt3
digitalohm wrote:
I've just started digging into the argos bleak. at first I felt there was too much overlap with the sh mk2, but now I'm enjoying having more of the sh mk2 tracks free for CV sequencing.

Definitely can't wait for the Robotospy video on it, I feel I haven't scratched the surface.

I'm currently feeding in values from the polivoks modulator s&h (basic quantizer patch). Does anyone know if the argos bleak possibly has a hidden offset parameter grin. I'm using a SSF S.P.O and Miggs to move the ranges of values around so the notes aren't all over the place. This would be a great feature to have internal to the bleak!

Do you mean being able to CV an offset?
digitalohm
mt3 wrote:
Do you mean being able to CV an offset?

no but that would be cool too. i did just realize that attenuation and the octave knob is working in a similar way as offset and attenuation would work for constraining values from the sample and hold very frustrating
jwise
robotopsy wrote:

Time is traveling forward and the masses are waiting on the Robotopsy....

Same goes for @MT3 who promised a video early on. There can never be too many videos as something in each one speaks to different people and we all typically learn something from somebody else's technique.
mt3
jwise wrote:
robotopsy wrote:

Time is traveling forward and the masses are waiting on the Robotopsy....

Same goes for @MT3 who promised a video early on. There can never be too many videos as something in each one speaks to different people and we all typically learn something from somebody else's technique.

Sadly, the stars are disaligned in opposition to my career as a filmographer. Video hard drive fatal crash, plus lack of a video workflow makes their production time-consuming.
I have something else in mind that may be more beneficial in general.

The Perfect Circuit vid actually captures the spectrum of possibility quite well, especially considering the majority of Argos Bleak's functionality wasn't even covered!
It can be quite daunting to demo any aspect of it without excluding much of its capability.
Sinamsis
I feel like I really have not tapped into the potential of my Argos Bleak. Today I sat down and tried to use it as a chord generator to control my Andromeda through the ADDAC 222. I fed it CV from Marbles and played around with swapping CV inputs from another input from Marbles. I also used Marbles to trigger the 222. All in all I found the result a little meh. I'm wondering if in this patch the most effective and musical thing to do would be to set up a few chord voicing as presets and CV through them.

Otherwise I've used it for FM indices, and I've also found the offset knobs per channel handy for some changes when performing. But I think partly I still don't know WTF I'm doing with this module, and partly even when I know what I'm doing, I don't know how to best use it. I've brought it over to my larger system, where I believe I'll get more use out of it. But I have to think there's a ton more I can be doing with this module (like it should be in every patch). Anyone with some patch examples for inspiration?

BTW where's that video robotopsy?!?! Haha.
rustyjaw
Sinamsis wrote:
'm wondering if in this patch the most effective and musical thing to do would be to set up a few chord voicing as presets and CV through them.

Anyone with some patch examples for inspiration?

I've literally used the AB in every patch since I got it, I find it immensely inspiring. I've used it in different ways, but the method you describe above is the most common way I use it. In fact, over the last few days I patched an ambient thing based around the Argos.

I treated the 4 Argos outputs as 2 pairs of dyads, one pair went to each osc in the HD MkII (I wanted perfectly matched Osc for this patch), the other pair went to Rings and 2HP Pluck (also I figured two string modelling modules might make for interesting overlap). Also, I used some vibrato on the Rings/Pluck pair to help tie them together.

I set up 8 presets on the Argos and used Track 4 on the SH to basically switch between 2 Argos presets at a time, and then I made 4 presets on the SH (each changing between 2 Argos presets) which I CVed from Rene, so every 32 beats, the SH moved to the next preset. Track 1 on the SH going to Input A on Argos.

The result is a simple ambient track, but I like the melodic progression the AB makes possible:

robotopsy
I'm waiting for this update Scott told me...... and also too busy right now waah

Sinamsis wrote:

BTW where's that video robotopsy?!?! Haha.
rustyjaw
robotopsy wrote:
I'm waiting for this update Scott told me...... and also too busy right now waah

Ooh, does that mean there is new firmware on the way?
RLK
Attaching a pdf with the content I revised in last March.
Sorry guys I got pulled away from this forum and the synth hobby for various reasons, then kind of forgot about it.
Then forgot where the files were!
To be fair - not sure why the info has not been put in the IME's documentation by this time.
mt3
RLK wrote:
Attaching a pdf with the content I revised in last March.
Sorry guys I got pulled away from this forum and the synth hobby for various reasons, then kind of forgot about it.
Then forgot where the files were!
To be fair - not sure why the info has not been put in the IME's documentation by this time.

SlayerBadger!
w00t
thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 7