MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

mini guide/review for Tocante Karper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author mini guide/review for Tocante Karper
zilaihong
https://www.instagram.com/p/_b38CqLvC5/?taken-by=mengqimusic

noise signals on middle strings, pitch change with inner 2 square pads / waveguide injection with middle 1 / keep device on with outer 2. it jumps back to original pitch as long as no fingers on any pads, use that to reset pitches. by using a wallwart it retains the bent pitches, for a different playing style. For me it sets a mark for a perfect digital instrument, for its combination of human/machine decisions, purity of raw "digitalness", and the use of electrical signals from players' flesh. perfect in its conception. an issue - it makes a giant pulse every first touch, players shall find a way to block that for line in recording.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_ecFbxCz-J/
ClausF
Sounds great. Would like to hear that with a Marshall stack... hihi
pugix
I just ordered one! I want to form a Tocante ensemble with my musician friends.
Nelson Baboon
what am I missing. I couldn't find this on the synthmall site. I couldn't find the bass tocanti either....
Nelson Baboon
Ah - couldn't find the Karper at the synthmall site, but they had them in stock at Control. And same with the bass bistab. Damn.

Then went to Peter's site and ordered the zenert, which they were out of.

Well, it's Xmas, isn't it?
bartlebooth
one clarification on the pads - the outer 2 pads actually output the last 2 bits of the computation (so they are each slightly different). these are the only output pads, the others are all inputs (noise injection, string buffer length, sampling rate, and sandrodes).. try putting the bits into the sandrodes
rodrigo
That sounds cool as shit. Like a funky digital glitch mixed with the karplus vibe. Once I run into some funds I plan on ordering the whole Tocante line in one swoop. Too awesome not to own!
wednesdayayay
would you string those wooden planks (tocante) together in a big tapestry that can be rolled up and take form place to place? that would be some full circle PB stuff right applause
wednesdayayay
oh also is touching between tocante a no no?

like trying to send one modulation to another or thyris waves into the zenert
that would be pretty amazing
gde
wednesdayayay wrote:
oh also is touching between tocante a no no?

like trying to send one modulation to another or thyris waves into the zenert
that would be pretty amazing

I've touched some homebrew rollz while playing the zenert and was able to inject the pulses into different filters. It works but wasn't super impressive. I imagine the other tocantes would react a bit more when combined
jdev
Thanks for the guide. Really want a Karper.

Love the ogenix electro-metal shredfest photo. Rock on! Rockin' Banana!
https://www.instagram.com/p/_ecFbxCz-J/
zilaihong
bartlebooth
Thank you very much for the info. now to learn some micro movements on the Karper Rockin' Banana!

btw let me show you this tool that would help you playing Karper while lying on bed.
glia
Does this series of tocante still have a built in speaker?
zilaihong
glia wrote:

Yes
VomitFlowers
Ordered one from Control, can't wait to get it in the next few days - great demo!
pugix
I made a video demo. Just learning it.

http://pugix.com/synth/tocante-karper-demo-video/
pugix
bartlebooth wrote:
one clarification on the pads - the outer 2 pads actually output the last 2 bits of the computation (so they are each slightly different). these are the only output pads, the others are all inputs (noise injection, string buffer length, sampling rate, and sandrodes).. try putting the bits into the sandrodes

It would be great if you can expand on this. Which pads are which and how do they work? Techniques for putting the output bits into inputs. Does it ground them out to touch the outer ring? Are there any schematics available for Karper?

And another question: Is there cross-modulation between the oscillators? Or are they all independent? Ways to patch between?

Thanks.
zilaihong
Great work pugix applause

I love the Karper so much so now I am dreaming about a chromatic dual version (48 notes) Rockin' Banana!
mrcharles
I just got the Karper yesterday and I've a couple of questions...

Is this instrument output stereo via the audio jack? It looks like it does, but the left channel is normal volume and the right is very faint.

I think I might have a problem with the audio jack on the Karper.

Any advice about opening these up? I assume it is the 6 screws on the top panel. I assume I would unplug external power. I hope the battery power wouldn't make for problems.

Advice and shared knowledge is much appreciated. Thanks.
mrcharles
Reading the Tocante site, I see that it says that it is a mono jack... So maybe all is ok...

It would have been interesting to have each side of the Karper supplying left and right channels of a stereo line... as would cross-modulation. Maybe for Tocante v2,0?

This makes for a bit of creative patching for input to the Coco Deer (gray output from one delay to the green input of the unsupported channel...).
wednesdayayay
try inputting the karp into the "piezo Input" of the cq2 that way you can patch the same signal into both the cocos just make sure you start with the volume all the way down I don't imagine it is going to hurt anything

If that is what you want one delay's gray out into the next is pretty fun

I haven't seen any exploration of this but all the other tocante instruments were supposed to be androgenized so as the output is also an input but again I don't think this has been demoed at all

I would imagine the L is the mono out and channel R is the input but again I've not heard any specifics from those who've received an instrument and I don't have one of my own

I just love the idea that these could be chained together

I wonder if the karpr has an input like the others and if it does perhaps that input goes to the delay line that is being manipulated to make the string sound

nanners

all I can say is I can't wait until the karpr experimenting comes to the shbobo line
mrcharles
wednesdayayay wrote:
try inputting the karp into the "piezo Input" of the cq2 that way you can patch the same signal into both the cocos just make sure you start with the volume all the way down I don't imagine it is going to hurt anything

If that is what you want one delay's gray out into the next is pretty fun

I haven't seen any exploration of this but all the other tocante instruments were supposed to be androgenized so as the output is also an input but again I don't think this has been demoed at all

I would imagine the L is the mono out and channel R is the input but again I've not heard any specifics from those who've received an instrument and I don't have one of my own

I just love the idea that these could be chained together

I wonder if the karpr has an input like the others and if it does perhaps that input goes to the delay line that is being manipulated to make the string sound

:nana:

all I can say is I can't wait until the karpr experimenting comes to the shbobo line

Some interesting ideas here... this is my first Tocante. My first thought on receipt was "this is cool". The second was "how do you control this thing?".

I've found some interesting behaviors playing around with it - more by accident than anything else. I've managed to get it to speak these lovely, low-volume melodies playing around with the pads and central sandrodes.

Interesting cross-modulated drones, too.

And, the Coco Deer likes it as raw material - listening now...

What do you mean by "comes to the shbobo line"?
glia
zilaihong wrote:
glia wrote:

Yes
Thanks for the reply.

I love everything else about the design...but i never want built in amplification on an instrument

I'm tempted to get one anyway and disable or disconnect the amp
aethersprite
In my latest Dungeons and Dragons campaign I am playing a bard who plays the Karper. cool
Duotron
Anyone have any videos/sound examples of the Karper through a delay effects pedal?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2