MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge comes out with SMMS/STS news... finally
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Serge comes out with SMMS/STS news... finally
Vsyevolod
What many of us have known for years/decades has finally been made public by Serge himself in a recent FB conversation. So to set the record straight about the Serge - Rex connection, here's the news straight from the horses mouth:

Serge wrote:
For the record. "Serge" was not bought by Rex Probe. Rex was offered to continue the Serge tradition (including the tools of production) at no cost. Rex agreed to pay a royalty per panel, a reckoning of which has yet to be done smile

and

Serge wrote:
Rex did not buy the mfg business.

and

Serge wrote:
One thing about Rex and co. They did a great job at keeping Serge alive as a creative concept during the years of e-music's darkest moments, when laptops and "fairlights" anything but fair or light, did seem: to smother serge's multiprogrammable beauty from the sky. With the dark ages past, the sky's the limit for the People's Synth; eh smile

and

Serge wrote:
And again, for the record : the current crop of serge modules produced by CGS- Ken Stone, Elby-Designs, Random Source are in the main, equal to, or improved versions of serge originals; Ken Stone's Analog Shift Registers are MUCH better. Random Source uses THAT ICs which I'd have used had they been available in the '70s, that ensure minimal CV feedthru. Elby-Systems EURO-SERGE catalog include improved utility modules such as the Bi-Directional Routers, 4-8 Stage programmers, etc. The TKB by Jon Jensen from what I hear was a perfect replica. And there's a TKB in euro format coming soon thanks to ARC (Analogue Research Co), now in euro format with PC board mounted pots (a great improvement !) -

Like I said, many of us have known this information for a long time yet out of respect for Serge and his privacy have elected to not make this public. I have a lot of respect for both Serge and Rex and what they've done for all these years. At the same time, my money goes to support the original designer whenever I have a choice.

And the unsung hero is Kevin Braheny Fortune who has worked for both Serge and Rex and is the biggest reason today that many systems are still working after all these years.

Stephen

gone
respect
TheEngineer
Yea, it was nice that he decided to throw some feedback on our conversation we were having. I'd really like to put the Random Source stuff side by side with my STS panels to do a comparison sometime. Maybe next year.
tobb
Great info!
deltaphoenix
I was quite surprised to see Serge jump in and respond to that thread on FB...

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Gringo Starr
Interesting. It appears that Serge could take back the entire business if he wanted to. He must be good friends with Rex considering he hasn't been paid any royalties after all this time.
GrantB
Thanks for posting it Stephen thumbs up
confusional
Gringo Starr wrote:
Interesting. It appears that Serge could take back the entire business if he wanted to. He must be good friends with Rex considering he hasn't been paid any royalties after all this time.

Hold on a sec, I want form a judgment before hearing Rex's side of the story. This would fit my own narrative... but damn, you already beat me to it.
search64
Euro TKB? nanners
Vsyevolod
Gringo Starr wrote:

That's not quite how I read it... but what do I know?

Stephen

skkatter
Is there a Serge Facebook group I should also be nerding over?
muncky
It's the '4u modular collective' one... It's motherfucking bacon yo
tobb
The royalty issue is something between Serge and Rex
skkatter
muncky wrote:
It's the '4u modular collective' one... :bacon:

Thanks!
chamomileshark
" the current crop of serge modules produced by CGS- Ken Stone, Elby-Designs, Random Source are in the main, equal to, or improved versions of serge originals; Ken Stone's Analog Shift Registers are MUCH better."

I wonder whether Banalogue (no longer active I think) would also be included. I think both Ken and Serge were involved with Seth (Bananalogue)
J3RK
chamomileshark wrote:
I wonder whether Banalogue (no longer active I think) would also be included. I think both Ken and Serge were involved with Seth (Bananalogue)

I believe that's the case. I know that Ken has PCBs (no longer available) for those versions.
Vsyevolod
Serge has been involved with Ken since 2003 or so. I don't think he ever worked with Seth.

Stephen

richard
tobb wrote:
The royalty issue is something between Serge and Rex

thanks for telling us what we are allowed to comment upon
PraxisCat
I was pretty surprised when serge replied to this!

It clears up a great deal.
numan7
chamomileshark wrote:
" the current crop of serge modules produced by CGS- Ken Stone, Elby-Designs, Random Source are in the main, equal to, or improved versions of serge originals; Ken Stone's Analog Shift Registers are MUCH better."

hmmm..... also no mention of doepfer (who have afaik licensed the vcs circuit for a-171-2 through cgs) or tip-top audio (who were going to release a bunch of serge-licensed modules in eurorack format beginning with a new-ish version of the wad which was big news a while back).

cheers
Vsyevolod
PraxisCat wrote:
I was pretty surprised when serge replied to this!

It clears up a great deal.

Thanks to your input!

Cheers,

Stephen

Vsyevolod
numan7 wrote:
also no mention of doepfer (who have afaik licensed the vcs circuit for a-171-2 through cgs) or tip-top audio (who were going to release a bunch of serge-licensed modules in eurorack format beginning with a new-ish version of the wad which was big news a while back).

That's because he was speaking offhandedly and in the moment. Not a press release.

There are a ton of other projects related to all things Serge that also haven't been mentioned. All in good time...

Stephen

mnml
From talking to Rex a few years ago, my impression was that he had an exclusive deal, or at least he thought so. He had all the schematics, mechanical designs, use of the Serge name, etc. Probably PCB art and other IP as well. I don't see how he'd get access to all that unless there was a substantial deal cut. AFAIK Rex held up his end of the bargain, turning out very high quality panels, improving on designs and generally not scrimping or screwing around. Analog modular has exploded in the past 10 years, but Rex carried the torch through the early 90s when it was all but dead.
PraxisCat
mnml wrote:
From talking to Rex a few years ago, my impression was that he had an exclusive deal, or at least he thought so. He had all the schematics, mechanical designs, use of the Serge name, etc. Probably PCB art and other IP as well. I don't see how he'd get access to all that unless there was a substantial deal cut. AFAIK Rex held up his end of the bargain, turning out very high quality panels, improving on designs and generally not scrimping or screwing around. Analog modular has exploded in the past 10 years, but Rex carried the torch through the early 90s when it was all but dead.

Rex and STS thought he had exclusivity, but it is pretty clear at this point he never did. The right to license, the Serge name, and all IP remained with Serge himself. Serge maintained the original designs, and artwork, and many of them are now publicly available. Serge has worked with other people and licensed his designs with other manufacturers who actually pay him. This has been the case since 2003 and CGS/Ken Stone.
noitcudnexeh
Cool narrative, but not really "news".
Sounds like baby boomer sour grapes...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2