MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

<<FlexWave System Build Thread>>
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author <<FlexWave System Build Thread>>
J3RK
Well, since I posted Gerber files, BOMs, Schematics, and everything anyone would need to actually start building one of these without the PCBs that I will be running, I thought a build thread was in order.

Relevant Links:

Development Thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152921

Chatter and News Thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152840
J3RK
Wiring Diagram for version 1.2 of the PCB. (standard config)

Crossfader Waveform Select Diagram for version 1.2 of the PCB.
J3RK
One more should do it for now...
ungleichklang
What FET can I use to replace the MPF102?

Dustin points to a J201 but farnell only offers J105, J107 and J109.
Others take a 2N5458 or 2N5457 as substitute that also is replace by the J105, J107 or J109
I also found a sites that points me to a J113 that seems to have the same pinout.
elmegil
When I started out I bought a bunch of MPF102 and J201 FETs from either Tayda or Unicorn electronics, if either of those is an option. I see you mention Farnell, so if you're in Europe you may want a different source.
J3RK
The 4391 should work ok. I've seen it used in a few sync circuits. They are available in multiple packages. Looks like PN4391 would be an available TO-92 package version. I actually ordered several MMBF4391 (SMT version) to test for this purpose, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I picked the MPF-102 because I had a bunch on hand. I would guess that it's not terribly critical.
ungleichklang
After some search I found a german supplier that still has MPF102 .. It's peanut butter jelly time! applause
J3RK
Nice! Glad to hear it you found some!
J3RK
Posted the wiring diagram above. w00t

Here's a little preview version to decorate the thread with. hihi

J3RK
Here's how to wire up the waveform selection switches for the crossfader:

paulstone
thanks for the picture , it will help a lot !
J3RK
No problem! Those connections can be wired up in any order you like.

Some combinations I like are:

Sine to PWM
Saw to PWM
Triangle to Square
Saw to Sine

Actually, they're all pretty fun. Even Triangle to Sine is interesting in a very subtle way. You can add more switches too, or SP3T, and mix more combinations. I just use SPDT with two waves per switch.
the bad producer
Have PCB in hand - many thanks Dustin!
nanners

Can't find these though:

2 R4,R105 8.02K

zombie hihi
J3RK
Those should be 8.06K. I'll update the docs.
paulstone
Hi guys
no understood well hmmm.....
for R4,R105 is 8.02k or 8.06k the rigth value ?
in my pcb's i have soldered 8.02K for R4, R105 like say the bom , there is a problem for 4ohm difference ?

i have already soldered all component up my pcb , but still have to decide like wiring it , so also like make a 5u panel .

i waiting for The Bad Producer wiring schema we're not worthy
J3RK
Either is fine. I do have 8.021K at home, but just noticed that they aren't actually all that typical. hihi

I use 8.06K in most of my triangle core builds.
elmegil
J3RK wrote:
I use 8.06K in most of my triangle core builds.

Why such an oddball value?
J3RK
Well, 8.06K is a "normal" 1% value. That aside, between it and the also somewhat odd 237R it gives a nicely centered triangle without needing a trim. I'm sure the ratio could be shifted to other values, but these are what I've used with this core since before the Ultra and Pico.

As far as the 8.02K value, I had experimented with that a bit, and didn't change back the schematic. Both values are fine in those positions though.
elmegil
Interesting.

Most everybody uses the E12 values even when using 1% tolerances. I don't know E96 off the top of my head so I didn't realize that....
the bad producer
I've got some of these coming soon, if anyone would like one? Only a few and they are quite big so not mega cheapo (top quality though, of course!)

cygmu
Yesss!! You already know I'd like one of those please Charlie.
J3RK
Beautiful! I do like the change to the folder section. thumbs up
mothertongue
Yes please, for that sexy panel! I'll take one:-)
paulstone
the bad producer wrote:
I've got some of these coming soon, if anyone would like one? Only a few and they are quite big so not mega cheapo (top quality though, of course!)

Bravo !! thumbs up
flts
That is... Beautiful. If only I hadn't my own larger panel with the Flexwave VCO in progress already...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3