MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

schools with modulars
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author schools with modulars
cerebrosis
what universities have mega modular installations and great electronic comp programs. im going to college soon and would like to find about schools and gear lists.

calarts? harvard electro-acoustics?
don h
http://www.saic.edu/degrees_resources/departments/sound/index.html
Look over the tour pictures:
http://www.saic.edu/degrees_resources/departments/sound/index.html#ove rview/SLC_12195
Waz
Wayne State University has a really big polyfusion rig and an arp 2600
dude
kent state university had a nice medium polyfusion and a fucking prototype moog modular. the moog was defunct when i was there and the have no electronic music department to speak of. but the stuff was there around the year 00'. the studio was in the midst of getting lost to the ages. it was nice in the 70's and 80's i think. that polyfusion changed my life for sure. my first modular experience. we're not worthy

year zero event
Junk Rhythm
Mills College in the East Bay has a PIII Moog Modular that works but it needs some care, cleaning, and maintenance. I have used the Moog and recorded with it. They also have a Buchla 100 System that I was told is not fully functional. They also have an ARP2600.

San Jose State University apparently has a lot of old electronic equipment and I have seen photos of the 40 module Buchla 200 System. The Buchla 200 is not functional but they are currently looking to have it repaired.

I spoke with a student the other day who attends San Francisco State University. He said that they have some old synths but wasn't sure which ones.
cerebrosis
thanks guys, this some great info. thumbs up

Junk Rhythm wrote:
Mills College in the East Bay has a PIII Moog Modular that works but it needs some care, cleaning, and maintenance. I have used the Moog and recorded with it. They also have a Buchla 100 System that I was told is not fully functional. They also have an ARP2600.

San Jose State University apparently has a lot of old electronic equipment and I have seen photos of the 40 module Buchla 200 System. The Buchla 200 is not functional but they are currently looking to have it repaired.

I spoke with a student the other day who attends San Francisco State University. He said that they have some old synths but wasn't sure which ones.


mills college sounds awesome if they can do or let someone maintenance their modulars. ill def check this place out the next time im in cali.
cerebrosis
don h wrote:
http://www.saic.edu/degrees_resources/departments/sound/index.html
Look over the tour pictures:
http://www.saic.edu/degrees_resources/departments/sound/index.html#ove rview/SLC_12195


that emu is sweet!
sgnelson
Far be it for me to tell you what to do, but I can't help myself and I will anyways. Which school has the coolest modulars would be about the last criteria I used to pick a college. I would instead talk to the professors and and students and see what they're in to, and what skills and knowledge they can pass on to you. You'd probably be better off at a school that has no cool equipment what so ever, but has a lot of students who are into crazy music making machines and do things on their own, or professors who are at the forefront of experimental music (if that's what you're into), but don't use ARP 2600's or the awesome synth de jour.

Because, even as rare as these sorts of machines are, there are still plenty of them (and Buchlas, and whatever else) around and they aren't going anywhere, but what's more difficult to find are professors who are going to be interested in what you're interested in AND willing to work with you. And at the end of 4 years, you're going to learn a lot more from them than you ever will from playing with an ARP 2600.
cerebrosis
yes i know that. im planning on going to 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 different schools over the next decade for different programs (some non music) but id like to go to at least one with a impressive modular installation.
GrobbingThistle
Kind of a shit school, but UNC-Greensboro has a ridiculous amount of synth equipment. Tons old Oberheim and Sequential Circuits polys, A pretty sizable Moog/DIY 5U modular, an huge old Aries system, a couple of Korg MS-series odds and ends and 2 Arp 2600s. Most of the stuff is in some state of disrepair, and none of the faculty knows dick about any of it, but music students have 24 hour access to all the stuff (and practically no one uses these rooms). I was there for a year and while not a music student myself I knew a few folks that were and put in my fair share of hours on all the cool gear.

Really though, terrible school.
GrobbingThistle
Oh, Evergreen also has a stupidly impressive stash of Buchla shit, although their music easel was stolen a year or two ago.


http://www.evergreen.edu/media/musictech/
deastman
Junk Rhythm wrote:
I spoke with a student the other day who attends San Francisco State University. He said that they have some old synths but wasn't sure which ones.
I graduated from SFSU. I took one summer course in the music department, combining MIDI synths with computer animation. At the time I was totally ignorant as to modular synths, and was mostly focused on the Oberheim Xpander and TX816 on one side of the room. In the opposite corner which I usually had my back to, there was some kind of modular beast. I've tried for years now to figure out what it was, but to no avail. If I had to guess, I'd say it was either an Arp 2500, Buchla, or Serge. If anyone knows what this was, please chime in.
cluster
i went to school at Alfred University in Western New York. They had several doepfer systems there which became my first introductions into modulars.
ai
Kansas State University had a substantial ARP2500 system in the mid 80's...probably still have it.

University of Texas at Austin has a program:
http://ems.music.utexas.edu/info/index.html
bf
dude wrote:
kent state university had a nice medium polyfusion and a fucking prototype moog modular
waah Somehow I feel as though I wasted my education there.
sweep
The university of Fredonia (which does exist and isn't just in a Marx Brothers film - it's in Upstate New York) has a Moog modular, or did a couple of years ago.

It's in the drama department, not the music department. I haven't seen it, but a friend in the music department was given access to it.
BananaPlug
New York was Moog country and at one time Syracuse U had a nice Moog modular. I have no idea if it's still there. It was in a castle like building and if you signed up for the class you could reserve some play time. My favorite time slot was something like 2am to 7am. Otherwise you had to get and get out pretty quickly.
cerebrosis
this is turning into a great thread. thanks all.
russma
agreed.

berfmurret
university of south florida has an emu modular, moog modular, and 6u doepfer modular in the SYCOM studios. all are in great working condition afaik.. they also have a prophet 5 and some clavia products..
cornutt
sweep wrote:
The university of Fredonia (which does exist and isn't just in a Marx Brothers film - it's in Upstate New York)


Is that near Wassamatta U? w00t
thermionicjunky
UC Santa Cruz has a Moog, an EMU, a Synton and some DIY. I think NYU Steinhardt has a new MOTM.
deastman
deastman wrote:
Junk Rhythm wrote:
I spoke with a student the other day who attends San Francisco State University. He said that they have some old synths but wasn't sure which ones.
I graduated from SFSU. I took one summer course in the music department, combining MIDI synths with computer animation. At the time I was totally ignorant as to modular synths, and was mostly focused on the Oberheim Xpander and TX816 on one side of the room. In the opposite corner which I usually had my back to, there was some kind of modular beast. I've tried for years now to figure out what it was, but to no avail. If I had to guess, I'd say it was either an Arp 2500, Buchla, or Serge. If anyone knows what this was, please chime in.
Did a little searching today and found my answer. No wonder I was confused- the SFSU electronic music lab had a mixture of Buchla, Serge, Moog, and Arp gear, in addition to the so-called modern synths I used on the other side of the room. I also vaguely recall an Apple ][ being used as some sort of CV sequencer for the modular gear... but I might have misunderstood or it could have been running one of the early Passport Designs sequencers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehpb/3286283477/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehpb/3286289181/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehpb/3287096736/in/photostream/
sduck
The TIMARA program at Oberlin - http://timara.con.oberlin.edu/timara.htm was where I got a lot of hands on experience. I was there in the late 70's, in it's early years, and was one of the group of first students to use the facility. Back then they had a huge moog modular which seems to be gone, an Emu system, the Buchla they still have, and a lot of putneys and other stuff.
pugix
cluster wrote:
i went to school at Alfred University in Western New York. They had several doepfer systems there which became my first introductions into modulars.


Did you happen to run into a teacher there, Peer Bode? He was teaching video. He bought my first DIY synth in 1984. (Peer is the son of Harald Bode.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group