MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

using Oakley EFG to interface guitar pedals?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author using Oakley EFG to interface guitar pedals?
jonny_w
I'm looking for a way to interface guitar effect pedals with my modular. I was thinking about this:

Modular signal -> Attenuator -> Guitar pedals -> Oakley EFG Pre In -> Amplify signal -> Oakley EFG Pre Out -> Modular

Would this work? I know that CGS makes a circuit for this very purpose (CGS60), but I'd prefer to stick with Oakley.
Synthbuilder
jonny_w wrote:
Modular signal -> Attenuator -> Guitar pedals -> Oakley EFG Pre In -> Amplify signal -> Oakley EFG Pre Out -> Modular

Yep, that'll work.

The attenuator just needs to be a volume control of any sort - one channel of the Multimix or a VCA, for example. It could also be just a couple of resistors. I sometimes use a combination of a 10K resistor in series with the signal and a 1K resistor as a shunt (from end of 10K resistor to ground). If you use small resistors you can actually build this into a jack plug.

Tony
jonny_w
Synthbuilder wrote:
jonny_w wrote:

Yep, that'll work.

The attenuator just needs to be a volume control of any sort - one channel of the Multimix or a VCA, for example. It could also be just a couple of resistors. I sometimes use a combination of a 10K resistor in series with the signal and a 1K resistor as a shunt (from end of 10K resistor to ground). If you use small resistors you can actually build this into a jack plug.

Tony

Perfect, thanks for the response! I made up a couple attenuator boxes with 100k linear pots - any reason why you'd use a shunt resistor in that application?
Synthbuilder
jonny_w wrote:
I made up a couple attenuator boxes with 100k linear pots - any reason why you'd use a shunt resistor in that application?

Pots are good because you can vary the level. I just use a resistor combination because it's small enough to fit in a jack plug. Two resistor attenuators are always better than just a series resistor. The shunt keeps the output impedance of the attenuator down to a low value which reduces the chance of noise pick up.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1