MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arturia keystep controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Arturia keystep controller
Blackblacky
Does anyone know if it is possible to sync the seq (or arp) to clock in (external) but still use the clock out from the key step ? (without midi, by using the the minijack clock in/out) hmmm.....
3pand
Blackblacky wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to sync the seq (or arp) to clock in (external) but still use the clock out from the key step ? (without midi, by using the the minijack clock in/out) hmmm.....

Just tried it and it works. It seems to just pass the same clock signal it is receiving and it’s not affected by any of the rate or speed settings. Also stays constant regardless of arp playing or not.
sloth713
Without a doubt the star of this NAMM (2018) was the keystep, most of the NAMM videos I watched it was used as a controller. So kudos to Autria for making such an useful, accessible, and inexpensive controller
luketeaford
sloth713 wrote:
So kudos to Autria for making such an useful, accessible, and inexpensive controller

Excellent -- I ordered one just a few days before NAMM and I'm looking forward to it. I will probably use it more with my laptop than the modular.
MvK
The manual says that the midi input is merged with the internal data of the keystep and sent to the midi output. Is the merged data also sent to the usb midi out?

I need a keyboard like this but have to integrate it with the octatrack and the shuttle control. SC only has usb inputs, so right now I need a bulky din midi to usb cable to connect the octatrack to the SC.

so the configuration would be

Octatrack Midi out -> Midi in Keystep usb out -> Shuttle control

Next step would be to connect the midi out of the keystep to the midi input of the octatrack to be able to play and record the octatracks audio and midi tracks.
That would introduce a midi loop but looking at the octas midisettings it could be possible. Rewiring the midiconnections is not possible because I mainy play live.
weekdayworrier
luketeaford wrote:
sloth713 wrote:
So kudos to Autria for making such an useful, accessible, and inexpensive controller

Excellent -- I ordered one just a few days before NAMM and I'm looking forward to it. I will probably use it more with my laptop than the modular.

Yeah, I bought it thinking I'd mostly use it with my modular, but, in fact, I've been using it for live gigs with two bands, controlling my DSI Tetra. I can drop both the Tetra and the Keystep on top of my Nord Electro, and no need for a second tier on my keyboard stand. The Keystep has 5-pin midi in and out, and it's actually kind of awesome to have aftertouch in something so cheap and light.
colourloss
jonatron wrote:
What I want to do is output the raw cv/gate from the MIDI sequence in my DAW along with sync from that same project. I would have thought this would be simple, maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem.
orangehexagon
Is anyone else wigged out that the keyboard starts on F and not C like every other keyboard (at least every other keyboard I've ever used).

It's bothering me more than I thought it would sad banana
bitflip
orangehexagon wrote:
Is anyone else wigged out that the keyboard starts on F and not C like every other keyboard (at least every other keyboard I've ever used).

Yeah, it's a bit weird... Though the JX-10 starts on E (and ends on G!), it's much less noticeable with 76 keys.

My main complaint is that when i'm playing down low, my pinky sometimes touches the mod strip, and in some situations the consequences are disastrous. Dead Banana
rowsbywoof
orangehexagon wrote:

I just center on middle C and work from there. I am constantly reaching for the octave buttons, too, but I've never once even given the starting key any thought. I guess moving from a traditional piano to keyboards, it never feels right, anyway, so I just approach it like I would sitting at a piano and play from the center of the Keystep.
Rafi
After scouring the interwebs for a black limited edition keystep with no luck, I randomly found one in MINT condition on craigslist for $60!!

Can anyone verify how many units approx Arturia built in black?
vdyankov
Is there a way to use both Blofeld Keys and Keystep and play both at the same time ?
bonso
Can anyone comment on how solid/tight the MIDI sync is when clocked via USB from a DAW? (Cubase in my studio)

Someone mentioned sync was solid when clocked in this manner earlier in the thread, but I'd appreciate hearing of others experience.

I know it has proper DIN MIDI ports which would be optimal but I've run out of MIDI ports on my trusty old Midex 8 and I would also like it to be portable so I can place it far away from the rack of despair.

The MIDI sync of the AKAI MPK mini Mk2 I'm currently using to fill this role is definitely not "solid" to say the least.
InteBra
It seems to be should out everywhere. Is there a new version on the horizon? Thomann have changed the availability date several times. Now it's like by the end of april.
TheDegenerateElite
It's been out for quite a bit now, it's just that many retailers have trouble keeping it in stock.
Yodhan
Seems like every shop near me has both colors these days
1n
I bought a Keystep the other week.

Despite following instructions, I can't get chord mode to work. Also, it seems a bit glitchy in both seq and arp modes - kind of thinks about it and then starts to follow the key instructions. I've got the sync switches in the right place, I think.

All suggestions welcome.

(My ability to use tech generally exceeds my ability to describe it.)
InteBra
Wierd. Thomann changed availability from end of april to mid-june.
CTVDR
Is it possible to record for example an 8 note sequencer and then record notes on top of it? Like building chords/putting melodies on top, note by note?
davemoog
I found this video very useful for understanding the Keystep/

https://youtu.be/ElcD2rGi8Tg
CTVDR
davemoog wrote:
I found this video very useful for understanding the Keystep/

https://youtu.be/ElcD2rGi8Tg

Yes, very inspiring and helpful smile. But he just switches the notes out rather than building on top, isn't he?
Crazydood69000
I have a keystep right now was looking into getting a 2hp midi module but wasn't sure if you could send midi out through the keystep via usb if its set to internal clock. Does anyone know if you can send midi through usb on the keystep? If so, could you hypothetically send that information to work with the 2hp midi module? seriously, i just don't get it
hawkfuzz
Check the manual, but pretty sure that'll work.
ggillon
1n wrote:
I bought a Keystep the other week.

Despite following instructions, I can't get chord mode to work. Also, it seems a bit glitchy in both seq and arp modes - kind of thinks about it and then starts to follow the key instructions. I've got the sync switches in the right place, I think.

All suggestions welcome.

(My ability to use tech generally exceeds my ability to describe it.)

In case you are still looking for answers, this might sound like a dumb question, but what synth are you sequencing trying to get chords? Because if it doesn't have polyphony, it WILL sound glitchy
bonso
CTVDR wrote:
Is it possible to record for example an 8 note sequencer and then record notes on top of it? Like building chords/putting melodies on top, note by note?

No, any input overwrites the current step rather than adding to it.
You can switch to 'Kbd Play' mode and add notes over the top of an existing sequence as it plays back but those notes won't be recorded by the internal sequencer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 13 of 14