MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arturia keystep controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Arturia keystep controller
Innerself2007
looks like Guitar Center has them for sale now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Arturia/Keystep-Controller-Sequencer.gc

Gonna order one myself.
Anyone receive one yet?
Jason Brock
I don't think any have shipped in the US yet. People on other forums are saying end of June. Seems like the perfect little controller for a Euro system, I'm still interested.
lootacow
Got my Keystep at Moogfest this past week. So far everything has worked great. I havent run into any bugs as of yet. There are a couple of things I would have liked, some of which can be fixed in firmware, some can not. I would have loved a power switch, like the BeatStep Pro. I dont like having to plug and unplug to turn things on and off. A shift function to turn on/off legato would have been great, since you can only play monophonic via cv/gate. c/v out for velocity and aftertouch would have been welcome. I understand there is mod out, but the more outputs, the better. Other than those, its a solid piece of gear for the price. Now, I cant speak for the midi side of things, as I bought it to use strictly with my modular via cv/gate. Good job arturia.
rowsbywoof
Mine has not shipped from Sweetwater, but if GC has them in stock I'll bet mine is shipping soon. The Guitar Center website is saying pickup in store in about three days, so, still not entirely sure they have them yet... But probably soonish.

Bummer about the lack of on/off switch. That miffs me quite a bit with gear. I know it's not a deal breaker, and really just par for he course with Eurorack stuff, but I like turning on gear as its needed and not having to worry about setup and teardown every time I want to play. Plus power is coming from my rack, so it's much easier not to have to mess with stuff behind it regularly.

Ah well, minor annoyance. Maybe it can be fixed in firmware by making a key press to hold on/off, won't hold my breath on that, though.
exper
Innerself2007 wrote:

Gonna order one myself.
Anyone receive one yet?

Did you end up ordering from GC? Curious if they actually have stock or not. Don't want to preorder as I know things can get pushed back way too far.
DonaldCrunk
i'm curious to know whether or not you can step thru the sequence or arp via irregular external clock/gate, ala Juno 6/60 arp or SH-101 etc.
AdamJay
Only eight 64 step patterns is my main (on-paper) complaint toward the Keystep.

The Novation Circuit is a decent alternative for MIDI folks, and is seeing price drops. Quite a bit more sequencer memory as well. 128 steps (using chains) x 32.
rowsbywoof
AdamJay wrote:
Only eight 64 step patterns is my main (on-paper) complaint toward the Keystep.

The Novation Circuit is a decent alternative for MIDI folks, and is seeing price drops. Quite a bit more sequencer memory as well. 128 steps (using chains) x 32.

The Circuit is no way an alternative for the Keystep. The Circuit would be a hard placed replacement for a Beatstep. Nothing wrong with the Circuit. I dig it more than the recent pair of Electribes, if I'm pressed to pick a favorite, but it's not at all playing for the same audience as Arturia is with the Steps.
AdamJay
and yet I can sequence other gear, polyphonically, with velocity - using the Circuit. This is the main feature of the Keystep.

There is your definition of "alternative."

What the hell is it with all the contrarians around here?
MATSmile
AdamJay wrote:
and yet I can sequence other gear, polyphonically, with velocity - using the Circuit. This is the main feature of the Keystep.

IDK, main feature for me is actually keyboard. I have enough sequencers in euro not to give a shit about dumb sequencer implemented in this keyboard. I never used circuit thou, I intuitively stay away from everything that looks like MIDI controller,
pescatore
Picked one up at Moogfest a couple weeks ago, but I haven't had time to play around with it until tonight. I was playing the arp on the Keystep with a Make Noise Tempi, both with the KS as master then with the Tempi as master. I had a lot of problems getting the KS to sync up in either case, with the clock sync type set to either of the "1 step" settings (clock or gate). With Keystep as slave, nothing seemed to be lining up, so I tried KS as master, and for both "1 step" settings, the notes from the arp played were consistently after the clock tick - maybe a 32nd note at somewhere around 120bpm. I finally tried the "1 pulse (Korg)" setting and it seemed to lock pretty well., so I'll stick with that, but I don't understand why I need to - seems like the "1 step (Clock)" setting should be just as effective, but it definitely isn't.

The manual is a little light on details, but it seems like an irregular clock might work if you could get the clock in and the gate out to line up. I'll try it a bit more tomorrow and report back if I have any luck.
rjungemann
I removed my previous comment—I misread something in the thread.

I'm excited to see more SH-style sequencers coming out, like the one on the Future Retro touch keyboard and on the Keystep. They've been less represented than more x0x-styled step sequencers. And the ability to transpose a sequence with a keyboard, and the ability to drive an irregular sequence with a clock is exciting.
rowsbywoof
AdamJay wrote:

We're probably coming from the same pool that spawns people who think everyone should want what they do out of a piece of gear, missing the main appeal of the new one everyone is talking about... Or you know, something like that.
pescatore
I tried last night to get the arp or the sequencer to step to an irregular clock, but had no luck. The closest I got was setting the Keystep to "1 Step (Gate)" and sending it gates, but then each note is gated the length of the received gate instead of triggering the next step in the sequence. Not all that surprising, I guess. If you have some way to control the pulse width of the gate, this might work ok for you. I also tried setting the KS to Clock and to Pulse, but on those settings, could not get it to step irregularly by sending either clocks, triggers, gates, etc.

I did sync it to USB for the first time last night and USB sync is rock solid. I usually use the DAW as a master clock, so for me I think that will work perfectly.

Despite a couple of minor clocking limitations, I'm really loving the Keystep. I think together with the BSP it's going to be a great setup for driving the modular rig.
rowsbywoof
pescatore wrote:
I tried last night to get the arp or the sequencer to step to an irregular clock, but had no luck. The closest I got was setting the Keystep to "1 Step (Gate)" and sending it gates, but then each note is gated the length of the received gate instead of triggering the next step in the sequence. Not all that surprising, I guess. If you have some way to control the pulse width of the gate, this might work ok for you. I also tried setting the KS to Clock and to Pulse, but on those settings, could not get it to step irregularly by sending either clocks, triggers, gates, etc.

I did sync it to USB for the first time last night and USB sync is rock solid. I usually use the DAW as a master clock, so for me I think that will work perfectly.

Despite a couple of minor clocking limitations, I'm really loving the Keystep. I think together with the BSP it's going to be a great setup for driving the modular rig.

Yeah, not too surprised by that either, but I could see the usefulness. Might be something worth contacting Arturia about for a possible future update to the firmware.
droningspaghettimonster
edit due to not reading well enough. sad banana
DonaldCrunk
pescatore wrote:

Thanks for checking. Frustrating limitation, I enjoy doing this with volcas/monotribe/old rolands/korgs/anything with a voltage clocked sequencer. in fact i'm having difficulty thinking of a sequencer or similar with analog clock input that doesn't have some sort of 'one clock pulse = one step' mode.

it seems like the '1 step (gate)' mode would do it, minus the need for the gate to be held high for the duration.
hawkfuzz
@pescatore is your tempi firmware updated?
pescatore
hawkfuzz wrote:
@pescatore is your tempi firmware updated?

Oh, good question, it probably isn't. In this case, I'm not sure it matters though, as most of my testing was confirmed with my Doepfer A-160-2 set to either Triggers or Gates, and an OR module. I'm not actually sure what's new in the Tempi update, but I got a pretty early one, so worth updating, I'm sure.
hawkfuzz
There's a thread that notes everything but it stabilizes the clock drift. It use to only want two pulses and you were suppose to unplug to keep sync. Now you can keep it in with no drift.

I hope it solves the issue, but I'll be picking one up regardless. I just hate knowing the issues beforehand.
rowsbywoof
Sweetwater is now saying July. Oh well. I'm in no rush wink Wondering how GC got them early, though.
Innerself2007
exper wrote:
Innerself2007 wrote:

Gonna order one myself.
Anyone receive one yet?

Did you end up ordering from GC? Curious if they actually have stock or not. Don't want to preorder as I know things can get pushed back way too far.

Sorry for the late response, yes I did order one probably around the time of my original post and just recieved it yesterday. So Im not positive GC had them in stock at the time.
Haven't had time to even unbox it yet, will do after work today. Im reading the manual at work and I believe this is exactly what Im looking for to add to the modular.
Will report back when I give it a test run
exper
Great! Looking forward to hearing about clock stability. If this works well, goodbye Sputnik keyboard.
droningspaghettimonster
more reports from users?
stwerewolf
lootacow wrote:
I would have loved a power switch, like the BeatStep Pro. I dont like having to plug and unplug to turn things on and off.

I'm like this with my Nord Drum 2. I know it's obviously designed for it, but I always freak out that just unplugging it will damage the thing or lose the patch I'm on.

Think I'll be picking one of these up if the price really is £99. Was just about to pull the trigger on a QuNexus after deciding the Sputnik + case was a more than I can afford at the moment, but for less money, a proper keyboard, sequencer and arps this absolutely steals it for me. Can you set the Mod CV out to send "pressure" similarly to the QuNexus or is it just going to be velocity, aftertouch and the mod wheel?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 3 of 14