MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arturia keystep controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Arturia keystep controller
neuroportal
https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/community/entries/NAMM-2016-Arturia-Ke yStep-Controller-and-Sequencer

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/01/21/namm2016-arturia-keystep-con troller-sequencer/

Could be a very useful tool indeed! V/Oct, V/HZ too.
spudboyblues
This looks so incredibly useful. And if they have actually incorporated the learnings from the early stumbles of the beatstep...this could be a real monster. Color me interested. Guinness ftw!
Piranhaconda
I'm skeptical of Arturia's products along these lines by now and I'm pretty done being an early adopter. The BSP had some serious teething issues including flat out regressing in functionality while they were trying to fix it.

I do hope it sees light of day with well-thought-out functionality and is bug-free, or in the event that it is plagued with bugs they at least get fixed in a timely manner and the thing is not brushed aside when it's time to wow everybody at the next trade show with something else.

I could see myself getting one for my portable situation if it works out though.
computer controlled
I'm curious how the sequencer works, and if it has a clock input.
diophantine
computer controlled wrote:
I'm curious how the sequencer works, and if it has a clock input.

Has MIDI in + "SYNC IN and OUT (supporting 1 pulse per step, 2 PPQ, 24 PPQ DIN Sync, and 48 PPQ DIN Sync)"
hawkfuzz
The keys are weird for not starting on C but that doesn't matter. I think this will be it. Maybe they will do a bigger version by the time of release. I'm surprised more people weren't making these. Seems like eurorack keys are a pretty hot ticket.
dumbledog
Looking forward to the Keystep Pro for NAMM '17!
mark_snipz
I'd like to see a bit more info about the sequencer, but this could be perfect for sequenced chords whilst being clocked by the modular. Married up with a Streichfett.... hyper
jimmie
This one is interesting. I may get when 3 or 4 oct version is released.
moremagic
if the firmware is solid , this could be really handy. midi arp is useful and would be really i teresting, plus adding a sustain pedal in such a tiny pkg will make it a good pairing with a modular. imagine playing cv modulations with the kb while sequencing a midi chord progression
flo
This could be really useful. Thanks so much for including proper DIN connectors (not just USB only) as well as the sustain input!

I'm praying for stable firmware...
southphillysynths
If this turns out to be what they say it will be PERFECT for what I want in a controller. Built in arp and cv out with midi will mean it will connect to everything I've got.

I would kind of prefer a bigger version but honestly it's worth it for the arp and cv alone.
Henfield
southphillysynths wrote:
If this turns out to be what they say it will be PERFECT for what I want in a controller. Built in arp and cv out with midi will mean it will connect to everything I've got.

I would kind of prefer a bigger version but honestly it's worth it for the arp and cv alone.

Check out the Akai Max 25 or 49. It has the arp, CV outs, MIDI, and sequencer. Where it lacks is the additional sync inputs and CV out for the mod wheel, but it has full size keys. Very useful (once you get passed the "whore thong red" plastic of the outer shell).
neuroportal
"once you get passed the "whore thong red" plastic of the outer shell"

That is a potential problem that can be overcome with the plethora of modular manufacturer stickers that seem to breed at scary rates.

However, if the Keystep is (relatively) bug free, the price and functionality look pretty good. The size is also a useful size from a space point of view.

I'm quite optimistic.

I was about the Beatstep Pro, too, however.

And the SQR.

smile
southphillysynths
Looks like this is available for presale @ $120 from sweetwater?!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyStep
southphillysynths
Bump! looks like it ships April 22 from musicians friend!
AdamJay
I'm looking for a decent keyboard for my A4's multi-map, and with a few more octaves than the onboard key buttons.
A 32 key "slim key" velocity and aftertouch sensitive keyboard with DIN MIDI output for $119 ain't a bad deal. The sequencer is a bonus, though I would take the sequencer more seriously if it had more pattern memory.

I do hope that this isn't plagued with the growing pains of updates that it's older __-step siblings have had to deal with.
Jason Brock
It's like an SH-101 without the synth engine. I would like more keys though, but seems great for the price.
Annwn
When I had a Microbrute, I didn't really care for the synth engine and 25 keys but found the connectivity really useful. This almost seems to fix that. An envelope and LFO would have been handy but hardly a realistic expectation.
Let's hope it actually works!
Roy72
Annwn wrote:
When I had a Microbrute, I didn't really care for the synth engine and 25 keys but found the connectivity really useful. This almost seems to fix that. An envelope and LFO would have been handy but hardly a realistic expectation.
Let's hope it actually works!

Me too on all this.
Jason Brock
I want to superglue this thing to the front of my Karp Odyssey. I would gladly give up 5 keys in exchange for better MIDI and a 64 note sequencer/arp.

Or build a Eurorack case with it similar to the Super37:
southphillysynths
I have been excited for this for a while. I hope it hurries up and gets released!

The arp and sequencer would be super quick and fun as everyone mentioned, hopefully it works...

does anyone know the release date?
oootini
why does it start on F?
AdamJay
It's 32 keys so it ends on C, just like a 37 key keybed would.
z3r01
The SH-101 has 32 keys, and starts on F, too. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the Keystep was, in part, influenced (or inspired) by the 101, with regards to the layout of the keys.
AdamJay
Mopho SE/X4, with 44 keys, starts on an F.

I think it's a little more common for keyboards to end on a C than to start on one.
Dcramer
It's like a Vibraharp (Vibraphone) most of which have three octaves of bars from F to F hmmm.....

I wonder if the arpeggio will play out the CV outs? hmmm.....

Still though, if the firmware is suckage....that whore red plastic will really burn Dead Banana
Umcorps
Dcramer wrote:

They do on the MBrutes. Exclusively. But they have no arp out on the midi side of things.

Flip a coin..... sad banana
southphillysynths
Umcorps wrote:
Dcramer wrote:

They do on the MBrutes. Exclusively. But they have no arp out on the midi side of things.

Flip a coin..... sad banana

Didn't know that, thats pretty freaking lame
southphillysynths
Emailed sweetwater, they say probably will ship end of the month
southphillysynths
seems like in this video it will be a while. None of these new demos show it sequencing or arping out of the cv outs, only midi...

a100user
The video on the product page shows the Arp controlling a eurorack system or at least gives that impression

MATSmile
a100user wrote:
The video on the product page shows the Arp controlling a eurorack system or at least gives that impression

not this shit again
rowsbywoof
The KeyStep is $120. That's in the range of impulse buy at this point. Even half baked, it's a cool little controller for sub-Volca pricing. Hard to pass this one up if you're looking to mess around with the keyless synths away from your DAW setup.

I preordered one. If it's a dog, I won't cry too hard over it. I've blown more than $120 on less functional products.
hawkfuzz
My feelings exactly. As long as the pitch works that's all I need. The sequencer is just an added bonus as all other functions are to me.
Astronaut FX
Is there anything on the market that's smaller than this with actual MIDI jacks?
Jason Brock
Astronaut FX wrote:
Is there anything on the market that's smaller than this with actual MIDI jacks?

The Roland A01 is shorter but deeper.
Astronaut FX
Jason Brock wrote:
Astronaut FX wrote:

The Roland A01 is shorter but deeper.

That's right, thanks! Forgot about that.
droningspaghettimonster
anyone know if the arp works via cv/gate by now?
pownie
Someone in the BSP group on FB wrote that it worked with CV, so it should. Which also makes me want one.
Roy72
I wish there was some more info on this, I would just like it to transpose sequences and play a riff every now and then.

A release date would be great.
Roy72
I wish there was some more info on this, I would just like it to transpose sequences and play a riff every now and then.

A release date would be great.
droningspaghettimonster
i hope arturia manage to release this unit without too much bugs. and i hope theysell well enough to make a big key version, the demand for affordable cv/gate controllers is big.
hawkfuzz
Maybe the lack of a solid release date is due to wanting to release it right and minimize patches.
rowsbywoof
Sweetwater is saying mid to end of June is what they're hearing.
southphillysynths
hawkfuzz wrote:
Maybe the lack of a solid release date is due to wanting to release it right and minimize patches.

I hope so this thing better hurry up and come out!! hihi
pitri
so is it stable with CV, etc.?
Roy72
pitri wrote:
so is it stable with CV, etc.?

Not sure what you mean, but as it isn't out yet I don't think anyone knows.
pitri
ah sorry i thought its out allready, but true thomann says delivery on the 28.06 I guess we will see in a month then hyper
southphillysynths
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFxtFGARlW6/?taken-by=tomhallsonics

hey how come this dude has one? looks like there are people around that have gotten a hold of them, beta testers?
Innerself2007
looks like Guitar Center has them for sale now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Arturia/Keystep-Controller-Sequencer.gc

Gonna order one myself.
Anyone receive one yet?
Jason Brock
I don't think any have shipped in the US yet. People on other forums are saying end of June. Seems like the perfect little controller for a Euro system, I'm still interested.
lootacow
Got my Keystep at Moogfest this past week. So far everything has worked great. I havent run into any bugs as of yet. There are a couple of things I would have liked, some of which can be fixed in firmware, some can not. I would have loved a power switch, like the BeatStep Pro. I dont like having to plug and unplug to turn things on and off. A shift function to turn on/off legato would have been great, since you can only play monophonic via cv/gate. c/v out for velocity and aftertouch would have been welcome. I understand there is mod out, but the more outputs, the better. Other than those, its a solid piece of gear for the price. Now, I cant speak for the midi side of things, as I bought it to use strictly with my modular via cv/gate. Good job arturia.
rowsbywoof
Mine has not shipped from Sweetwater, but if GC has them in stock I'll bet mine is shipping soon. The Guitar Center website is saying pickup in store in about three days, so, still not entirely sure they have them yet... But probably soonish.

Bummer about the lack of on/off switch. That miffs me quite a bit with gear. I know it's not a deal breaker, and really just par for he course with Eurorack stuff, but I like turning on gear as its needed and not having to worry about setup and teardown every time I want to play. Plus power is coming from my rack, so it's much easier not to have to mess with stuff behind it regularly.

Ah well, minor annoyance. Maybe it can be fixed in firmware by making a key press to hold on/off, won't hold my breath on that, though.
exper
Innerself2007 wrote:

Gonna order one myself.
Anyone receive one yet?

Did you end up ordering from GC? Curious if they actually have stock or not. Don't want to preorder as I know things can get pushed back way too far.
DonaldCrunk
i'm curious to know whether or not you can step thru the sequence or arp via irregular external clock/gate, ala Juno 6/60 arp or SH-101 etc.
AdamJay
Only eight 64 step patterns is my main (on-paper) complaint toward the Keystep.

The Novation Circuit is a decent alternative for MIDI folks, and is seeing price drops. Quite a bit more sequencer memory as well. 128 steps (using chains) x 32.
rowsbywoof
AdamJay wrote:
Only eight 64 step patterns is my main (on-paper) complaint toward the Keystep.

The Novation Circuit is a decent alternative for MIDI folks, and is seeing price drops. Quite a bit more sequencer memory as well. 128 steps (using chains) x 32.

The Circuit is no way an alternative for the Keystep. The Circuit would be a hard placed replacement for a Beatstep. Nothing wrong with the Circuit. I dig it more than the recent pair of Electribes, if I'm pressed to pick a favorite, but it's not at all playing for the same audience as Arturia is with the Steps.
AdamJay
and yet I can sequence other gear, polyphonically, with velocity - using the Circuit. This is the main feature of the Keystep.

There is your definition of "alternative."

What the hell is it with all the contrarians around here?
MATSmile
AdamJay wrote:
and yet I can sequence other gear, polyphonically, with velocity - using the Circuit. This is the main feature of the Keystep.

IDK, main feature for me is actually keyboard. I have enough sequencers in euro not to give a shit about dumb sequencer implemented in this keyboard. I never used circuit thou, I intuitively stay away from everything that looks like MIDI controller,
pescatore
Picked one up at Moogfest a couple weeks ago, but I haven't had time to play around with it until tonight. I was playing the arp on the Keystep with a Make Noise Tempi, both with the KS as master then with the Tempi as master. I had a lot of problems getting the KS to sync up in either case, with the clock sync type set to either of the "1 step" settings (clock or gate). With Keystep as slave, nothing seemed to be lining up, so I tried KS as master, and for both "1 step" settings, the notes from the arp played were consistently after the clock tick - maybe a 32nd note at somewhere around 120bpm. I finally tried the "1 pulse (Korg)" setting and it seemed to lock pretty well., so I'll stick with that, but I don't understand why I need to - seems like the "1 step (Clock)" setting should be just as effective, but it definitely isn't.

The manual is a little light on details, but it seems like an irregular clock might work if you could get the clock in and the gate out to line up. I'll try it a bit more tomorrow and report back if I have any luck.
rjungemann
I removed my previous comment—I misread something in the thread.

I'm excited to see more SH-style sequencers coming out, like the one on the Future Retro touch keyboard and on the Keystep. They've been less represented than more x0x-styled step sequencers. And the ability to transpose a sequence with a keyboard, and the ability to drive an irregular sequence with a clock is exciting.
rowsbywoof
AdamJay wrote:

We're probably coming from the same pool that spawns people who think everyone should want what they do out of a piece of gear, missing the main appeal of the new one everyone is talking about... Or you know, something like that.
pescatore
I tried last night to get the arp or the sequencer to step to an irregular clock, but had no luck. The closest I got was setting the Keystep to "1 Step (Gate)" and sending it gates, but then each note is gated the length of the received gate instead of triggering the next step in the sequence. Not all that surprising, I guess. If you have some way to control the pulse width of the gate, this might work ok for you. I also tried setting the KS to Clock and to Pulse, but on those settings, could not get it to step irregularly by sending either clocks, triggers, gates, etc.

I did sync it to USB for the first time last night and USB sync is rock solid. I usually use the DAW as a master clock, so for me I think that will work perfectly.

Despite a couple of minor clocking limitations, I'm really loving the Keystep. I think together with the BSP it's going to be a great setup for driving the modular rig.
rowsbywoof
pescatore wrote:
I tried last night to get the arp or the sequencer to step to an irregular clock, but had no luck. The closest I got was setting the Keystep to "1 Step (Gate)" and sending it gates, but then each note is gated the length of the received gate instead of triggering the next step in the sequence. Not all that surprising, I guess. If you have some way to control the pulse width of the gate, this might work ok for you. I also tried setting the KS to Clock and to Pulse, but on those settings, could not get it to step irregularly by sending either clocks, triggers, gates, etc.

I did sync it to USB for the first time last night and USB sync is rock solid. I usually use the DAW as a master clock, so for me I think that will work perfectly.

Despite a couple of minor clocking limitations, I'm really loving the Keystep. I think together with the BSP it's going to be a great setup for driving the modular rig.

Yeah, not too surprised by that either, but I could see the usefulness. Might be something worth contacting Arturia about for a possible future update to the firmware.
droningspaghettimonster
edit due to not reading well enough. sad banana
DonaldCrunk
pescatore wrote:

Thanks for checking. Frustrating limitation, I enjoy doing this with volcas/monotribe/old rolands/korgs/anything with a voltage clocked sequencer. in fact i'm having difficulty thinking of a sequencer or similar with analog clock input that doesn't have some sort of 'one clock pulse = one step' mode.

it seems like the '1 step (gate)' mode would do it, minus the need for the gate to be held high for the duration.
hawkfuzz
@pescatore is your tempi firmware updated?
pescatore
hawkfuzz wrote:
@pescatore is your tempi firmware updated?

Oh, good question, it probably isn't. In this case, I'm not sure it matters though, as most of my testing was confirmed with my Doepfer A-160-2 set to either Triggers or Gates, and an OR module. I'm not actually sure what's new in the Tempi update, but I got a pretty early one, so worth updating, I'm sure.
hawkfuzz
There's a thread that notes everything but it stabilizes the clock drift. It use to only want two pulses and you were suppose to unplug to keep sync. Now you can keep it in with no drift.

I hope it solves the issue, but I'll be picking one up regardless. I just hate knowing the issues beforehand.
rowsbywoof
Sweetwater is now saying July. Oh well. I'm in no rush wink Wondering how GC got them early, though.
Innerself2007
exper wrote:
Innerself2007 wrote:

Gonna order one myself.
Anyone receive one yet?

Did you end up ordering from GC? Curious if they actually have stock or not. Don't want to preorder as I know things can get pushed back way too far.

Sorry for the late response, yes I did order one probably around the time of my original post and just recieved it yesterday. So Im not positive GC had them in stock at the time.
Haven't had time to even unbox it yet, will do after work today. Im reading the manual at work and I believe this is exactly what Im looking for to add to the modular.
Will report back when I give it a test run
exper
Great! Looking forward to hearing about clock stability. If this works well, goodbye Sputnik keyboard.
droningspaghettimonster
more reports from users?
stwerewolf
lootacow wrote:
I would have loved a power switch, like the BeatStep Pro. I dont like having to plug and unplug to turn things on and off.

I'm like this with my Nord Drum 2. I know it's obviously designed for it, but I always freak out that just unplugging it will damage the thing or lose the patch I'm on.

Think I'll be picking one of these up if the price really is £99. Was just about to pull the trigger on a QuNexus after deciding the Sputnik + case was a more than I can afford at the moment, but for less money, a proper keyboard, sequencer and arps this absolutely steals it for me. Can you set the Mod CV out to send "pressure" similarly to the QuNexus or is it just going to be velocity, aftertouch and the mod wheel?
hawkfuzz
Control voltage has them in stock.
Hazza26
Anyone know if these exhibit the same pitch CV octave offset like the Minibrutes? Was going to buy an A-185-2 to correct the MB octave, but this might be a better buy.
REVIVER
hawkfuzz wrote:
Control voltage has them in stock.

Thank you for the PSA. Just grabbed one.
bonso
Hazza26 wrote:
Anyone know if these exhibit the same pitch CV octave offset like the Minibrutes? Was going to buy an A-185-2 to correct the MB octave, but this might be a better buy.

Seems like the keystep can be configured to change this offset according to the manual:

https://www.arturia.com/products/keystep/resources

I'm hoping for a firmware update for the Microbrute/Minibrute to allow the same behaviour if possible. Arturia support said they would forward the request for this but I don't know if its technically possible or likely to be implemented.
droningspaghettimonster
mine has been shipped from perfect circuits audio. thumbs up

i've got big hopes for this unit as i've sold my sputnik keyboard for this. this device is really too simple for Arturia to manage to screw up so basic functions.
exper
droningsphagettimonster wrote:

i've got big hopes for this unit as i've sold my sputnik keyboard for this. this device is really too simple for Arturia to manage to screw up so basic functions.

Ha. I sold my Sputnik for this as well. Still, I'm not ordering until I hear it's relatively stable.
droningspaghettimonster
exper wrote:

Ha. I sold my Sputnik for this as well. Still, I'm not ordering until I hear it's relatively stable.

i hope it was not a bad decision. got me a lot of space for more modules for sure. i contacted an user who confirmed the 1v/o is stable and the clock input works like it should for the arpeggiator/sequencer and that's all i can ask for. still, arturia is not known for being reliable but as far as i know users are quiet happy with this affordable cv controller solution. i'm excited to get mine, especially since the arpeggiator on the sputnik keyboard kind of sucked (no one note basslines etc...).
xonetacular
I have one on the way....

Anyone know if it will also work as a midi to cv converter?
droningspaghettimonster
fedexguy will bring it over tomorrow. i'm very excited to have midi/cv in the same unit. i'll try to post pros/cons very soon. crossing fingers on the midi 2 cv/gate and clock input for the arpeggiator/sequencer... if this controller is properly functional it is too good to be true. hyper
rowsbywoof
Mine's here tomorrow from Sweetwater. Looking forward to getting some time with it this week. smile
kites
Would it be an overkill if I got the Keystep to pair with my BSP? I've wanted the Keystep, but fear that it'll end up cluttering my desk and not being used.

Anyone using both at the moment? Could you comment?
kites
Double post
droningspaghettimonster
just a short report after some jamming.

after setting everything up in the midi control center and on the back of the unit everything is cool, as it seems. great CV tracking on the pitch, the mod and transpose units work good and the clock in is super stable with the sequencer/arpeggiator from my drum machines who also drive the eurorack. it even feels nice in my hands, not built like a tank but not something that breaks after few weeks of using it constantly. i have not checked if it works as midi 2 cv but so far so good.

here is a short video of keystep using cv/gate in action with cr8000 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdakHQ4ED8g

exper, seems like youre to go! thumbs up
basicbasic
droningsphagettimonster can you tell me if it will progress the arp or seq one step at a time (like Pro-One/101) if fed irregular gates, or does it need a steady clock?
droningspaghettimonster
basicbasic wrote:
droningsphagettimonster can you tell me if it will progress the arp or seq one step at a time (like Pro-One/101) if fed irregular gates, or does it need a steady clock?

i set the clocking on the keystep to one step per gate and feeded it random pulses from the ultra random. works like a charm with both seq and arp. however its the only irregular clocking source i've got but it works.
basicbasic
Great - exactly what I was hoping! Time to sell my microbrute for a keystep I reckon. Thanks!
droningspaghettimonster
noprob. in this clocking mode (1 gate advances one step) the built in clock divider ceases to work btw. if there are other questions let me know.
hawkfuzz
Only issue I'm having is the pitch ribbon. I have it set for an octave but it seems the only place I can get it there is the very tip top of the slide.

That wouldn't be that big a deal, but I end up pushing the octave down button since it seems to be only the top 1/8th inch for the octave.

Might mess with the settings so I don't have to go all the way up. Love the MIDI center.
scottmoon
Got mine today. There is an update already. When I tried to update using a USB powered hub, it kept crashing. After connecting USB directly to my laptop, it worked fine. thumbs up
DonaldCrunk
Aha - so they did include a one step per ext pulse mode, that's great to know!
droningspaghettimonster
to confirm earlier question: arturia keystep seems to do a fine job as a midi to cv/gate converter.
D Beau
I went ahead and ordered one of these. I was originally aiming to save up for a Future Retro 512, but I don't think I'll end up using a KB enough to justify that price difference. This should be more than enough for my purposes.
basicbasic
Mine arrived today and I had a quick play - seems to work as advertised - had it running in no time. You can even set the gate voltage (12v or 5v) in the software panel.
z3r01
I held off from getting the Beat Step, and BSP, after reading about the whole issue of buggy firmwares (and firmwares to fix the bugs, were too, riddled with bugs).

I was on the fence on getting the KeyStep, as I don't want to get caught in the web of buggy firmwares. Couldn't resist, and pulled the trigger on one a few days back (waiting for it to arrive soon), but still had that nagging uncertainty.

The above initial reviews of the KeyStep did manage to alleviate a little bit of anxiety. So, thanks for that! thumbs up
av500
DonaldCrunk wrote:

just note that this mode which they call "1step (gate)" only works with the sequencer but not with the arpegiator :(
DonaldCrunk
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:

just note that this mode which they call "1step (gate)" only works with the sequencer but not with the arpegiator :(

OK, interesting, good info thank you! i think i can work around that for my particular needs. I almost bought one during all the sales this weekend, but i may wait for one to hit my local store so i can try it out in person. i'm basically a huge miser.
av500
DonaldCrunk wrote:
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:

OK, interesting, good info thank you! i think i can work around that for my particular needs. I almost bought one during all the sales this weekend, but i may wait for one to hit my local store so i can try it out in person. i'm basically a huge miser.

I reported it to an Arturia rep and he is asking his coworkers if this is by design or a bug, so we'll see. I'll report back when I learn more.
droningspaghettimonster
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:

I reported it to an Arturia rep and he is asking his coworkers if this is by design or a bug, so we'll see. I'll report back when I learn more.

it worked to have it set to 1 step gate if i remember right when using the arpeggiator. i was using a clock from my sequencer 1 and it turned off the clock divider function and the arpeggiator was triggered by the clock. it also worked fine with random pulse out from URA. might not be remembering right, i'll check this out. are you using the latest firmware?
av500
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:

it worked to have it set to 1 step gate if i remember right when using the arpeggiator. i was using a clock from my sequencer 1 and it turned off the clock divider function and the arpeggiator was triggered by the clock. it also worked fine with random pulse out from URA. might not be remembering right, i'll check this out. are you using the latest firmware?

latest firmware 1.0.0.5. I can use the arp in 1step(clock) mode but not in 1step(gate) mode. in this mode, if I press down e.g. 3 keys only one of them will sound with each gate step. when I start the arpeggio in clock mode and then while holding the keys down switch the mode via the PC control app the arpeggio keeps running correctly...
DonaldCrunk
av500 wrote:
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:

latest firmware 1.0.0.5. I can use the arp in 1step(clock) mode but not in 1step(gate) mode. in this mode, if I press down e.g. 3 keys only one of them will sound with each gate step. when I start the arpeggio in clock mode and then while holding the keys down switch the mode via the PC control app the arpeggio keeps running correctly...

hmm, it seems like this might be the 'expected' behavior, though even vintage instruments handle clocked arpeggios a couple different ways. The Juno 6/60 for instance behaves pretty similarly to what you're describing - you hold down a 3 note chord, and no sound happens until the first clock is received - at which point note 1 plays until the next clock is received, then note 2 etc - stepping through each note once per clock pulse received.

the gate thing is a little confusing - does the gate have to be held high for the arpeggiated note to sound?

i'm not nearly as concerned about the arpeggiator as i am the sequencer responding to external clock pulses 'correctly', which it seems to.
av500
DonaldCrunk wrote:
av500 wrote:

hmm, it seems like this might be the 'expected' behavior, though even vintage instruments handle clocked arpeggios a couple different ways. The Juno 6/60 for instance behaves pretty similarly to what you're describing - you hold down a 3 note chord, and no sound happens until the first clock is received - at which point note 1 plays until the next clock is received, then note 2 etc - stepping through each note once per clock pulse received.

the gate thing is a little confusing - does the gate have to be held high for the arpeggiated note to sound?

i'm not nearly as concerned about the arpeggiator as i am the sequencer responding to external clock pulses 'correctly', which it seems to.

no. it does not behave like the Juno. no sound until the first gate is received - as expected. but then on subsequent gates it does not step through the arpeggio. it only plays the first note on every gate.
DonaldCrunk
av500 wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:
av500 wrote:

no. it does not behave like the Juno. no sound until the first gate is received - as expected. but then on subsequent gates it does not step through the arpeggio. it only plays the first note on every gate.

ohh okay i see what you're saying! very interesting. never heard of another device doing this!

i think this might be a case of the manufacturer not really understanding what the 'expected' behaviour of the arp clock input should be, since there are a few different ways to handle it. hooray for user-updatable firmware!

thanks av500 once again for the good info
basicbasic
Interesting - mine landed yesterday and I got it clocking off an irregular pattern in both arp and seq mode with '1 Step (Gate)' and 'Clock start: On clock' settings but not consistently - it occasionally works if I switch those settings in the MCC.

I would therefore classify it as a bug.

It is a little picky about the external clock - did not like 606 trigger but was fine off a square wave.

I'll be experimenting today and over the weekend with the various sync options.

EDIT: I raised it on the Arturia forums and got a reply saying they were fixing that exact issue at the moment.

I posted this over at GS but might be helpful here:
Being of an enquiring mind I used a multimeter to check the CV output on mine. The scale was ok (off by a few mv across octaves) but the offset was a little too far off 0v at C0 so I popped it open. There are scale and offset trimmers on the board where the cv outputs are mounted much like the Microbrute. I managed to scale it to be pretty much perfect across all octaves using a multimeter (0.00v, 1.00v, 2.00v etc).

I'm sure this voids the warranty so obviously this is at your own risk!!! Don't blame me if you short something!!!
rowsbywoof
Mine actually didn't come until yesterday. Slowest Sweetwater shipment I've ever had. Anyway, it's here and I've only had about an hour with it. I'm RTFM right now and putting it through its paces.

Seems pretty straight forward. Digging the chord mode and the sequencer actually works pretty nice. I'm happy with it for the price. Build quality seems pretty decent too, though I do have an oddity on the very first key, the low F. There's a piece of metal that sort of dampens/slows that key, and only that key's movement.

I can see it flexing between the case and the key. Not sure if it is supposed to be like that or not. You definitely feel a different travel on that key. Not the biggest of concerns, but wondering if mine is alone in that little oddity.

Anyway, overall, really nice controller for the cost.
D Beau
rowsbywoof wrote:
Mine actually didn't come until yesterday. Slowest Sweetwater shipment I've ever had.

Yeah, same here. Ordered on the 6th and not expected to arrive until the 12th; a bit surprising. The fellow who called the next day wasn't the guy who normally handles my orders though, so I'll give em a pass.
boinggg
I got mine recently, and had some time to give it a go last night.

I had a hell of a time getting it to work. I thought for a while that I must have gotten a broken one. Long story short- I had to update the firmware, and make sure that the sync in was in the same format as the BSP, which is sending the KSP the clock.

Once I got things sorted, I had a blast. I haven't delved into the KSP's deeper functions yet, but the sequencer works like it should (although determining seq length is a bit weird and different from the BSP) The arp is way cool- I Thought I would never really use it, but I kind of love the arp.

I wish there was a way to have multiple saved arps (I'm not sure it stores any), or a way to make the arp into a sequence, for storing capabilities.

Overall- adding this is an enhancement to my rig. I didn't have a poly hardware sequencer, it does what I hoped it would, and does some cool things I didn't expect.
AdamJay
Anyone using a Keystep with Analog Four (or similar)?
I'm inclined to get one for A4's multi-map, and things like Chord mode, CV mod out, and Sync i/o make it more appealing.

Even without the sequencer/arp it seems to be a good deal considering it has actual MIDI DIN i/o, and not just MIDI over USB.
rowsbywoof
Can anyone confirm if their Keystep is different than mine, and doesn't have that oddity on the first key? Just wondering if I should box this guy up and exchange it for another while I still can with Sweetwater.

I've screwed up a song already with that, since I forget and velocity sensitivity goes to shit on that low-F since I'm not remembering it has to be pressed harder than the other keys. :(

Is mine the only one with that little flexing piece of metal under that first key?
grimoire
Nope, you're not alone, my Keystep is like that, too. It feels like the key is very slightly grinding up against the metal and foam(?), and yes, I can see the bit to the left of the key flexing when the key is pressed.

I'm honestly not sure if it's supposed to be that way, but it does feel strange.
Yip2
My first key isn't like that, but the first D# key wasn't triggering like the others. At first seemed like a dead key, but worked with a certain amount of pressure. Had to send it back and I'm bummed because that's at least a week without it, and everything else with the Keystep was working great.
rowsbywoof
grimoire wrote:
Nope, you're not alone, my Keystep is like that, too. It feels like the key is very slightly grinding up against the metal and foam(?), and yes, I can see the bit to the left of the key flexing when the key is pressed.

I'm honestly not sure if it's supposed to be that way, but it does feel strange.

Thanks! Good to not be alone with that issue... but...

Yip2 wrote:
My first key isn't like that, but the first D# key wasn't triggering like the others. At first seemed like a dead key, but worked with a certain amount of pressure. Had to send it back and I'm bummed because that's at least a week without it, and everything else with the Keystep was working great.

That's so strange... So you had a different key giving you trouble. I'll send an inquiry to Sweetwater to see if they can check their display model. The key works, it's just a different travel due to that piece of metal under the key.

OK... Weird... Yeah, it's not a deal breaker for me, it's honestly not that bad, but I'm wondering if there are some problem units floating around.
basicbasic
My KS doesn't have any keys that feel like there is any issue - they all feel the same so i'd say that's abnormal. It may be that the aftertouch ribbon is out of place not sure. When I opened mine up to calibrate the CV I saw the aftertouch/pressure ribbon was held down at one end by masking tape (!) to presumably help keep it in place which seems like an obvious point of potential failure.

Also, an Arturia rep contacted me after I posted on their forum about the arp issue I was having using external gate patterns and he passed on an alpha/hotfix of the next firmware and that issue is (almost) fixed which is great news!
av500
I found another issues with the keystep, the CV signal settles into its final value only 4ms after the gate goes high. so if you have some module that samples the CV value triggered by the gate, it might capture the previous note value. in fact that's how I noticed it.
rowsbywoof
Sweetwater is saying its abnormal too. Ok, I'll swap this one out for another. I wonder if it is just the after touch ribbon and it just worked loose in shipping. I'm not going to open it up a few days old. Might as well just ship back before I void warranty wink
av500
basicbasic wrote:

Also, an Arturia rep contacted me after I posted on their forum about the arp issue I was having using external gate patterns and he passed on an alpha/hotfix of the next firmware and that issue is (almost) fixed which is great news!

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
bartleby
av500 wrote:
I found another issues with the keystep, the CV signal settles into its final value only 4ms after the gate goes high.

i didn't do any measurements, but on my unit, there is an audible glissando on the pitch cv when playing octaves or greater intervals from the third octave of its voltage range and above.

so, playing 0v-1v and 1v-2v sound ok, but if i play 2v-3v or 3v-4v, there is a noticable (if short) glissando/portamento effect.

do others have this effect as well? it somewhat limits the usefulness of its built-in midi-cv-interface, at least for sounds with short attack...
av500
bartleby wrote:
av500 wrote:
I found another issues with the keystep, the CV signal settles into its final value only 4ms after the gate goes high.

i didn't do any measurements, but on my unit, there is an audible glissando on the pitch cv when playing octaves or greater intervals from the third octave of its voltage range and above.

so, playing 0v-1v and 1v-2v sound ok, but if i play 2v-3v or 3v-4v, there is a noticable (if short) glissando/portamento effect.

do others have this effect as well? it somewhat limits the built-in midi-cv-interface at least for sounds with short attack...

here is a CV step from 0V to the the highest note on the keyboard, it's about 5ms for the CV to settle.

bartleby
av500 wrote:
here is a CV step from 0V to the the highest note on the keyboard, it's about 5ms for the CV to settle.

yuck. but then, that would be a jump of what, 6 or even 8 or so octaves?

have you looked at more mainstream intervals, like 0v-1v, 2v-3v? if there is a noticeable lack on those (like there are on my unit), i think this would be rather problematic...
av500
bartleby wrote:
av500 wrote:

yuck. but then, that would be a jump of what, 6 or even 8 or so octaves?

have you looked at more mainstream intervals, like 0v-1v, 2v-3v? if there is a noticeable lack on those (like there are on my unit), i think this would be rather problematic...

the curve looks exactly the same for 0V to 1V steps, just the vertical scaling changes. the typical RC charge curve does not change shape....
bartleby
av500 wrote:
the curve looks exactly the same for 0V to 1V steps, just the vertical scaling changes. the typical RC charge curve does not change shape....

hm, then maybe what i was hearing there was a different effect. i'm pretty sure that 0v-1v sounded fine, while the glissando was very noticeable with 2v-3v...
av500
bartleby wrote:
av500 wrote:

hm, then maybe what i was hearing there was a different effect. i'm pretty sure that 0v-1v sounded fine, while the glissando was very noticeable with 2v-3v...

just checked, between 2V and 3V the curve looks exactly the same
Hazza26
Haven't read all the thread so apologies if this has been covered already...

I am tired of having to tie up my Disting to correct the octave offset on the Pitch CV out of my MiniBrute. Have Arturia corrected this issue on the Keystep? If so I think it might be a better purchase than a precision adder or another Disting.
bartleby
Hazza26 wrote:

I am tired of having to tie up my Disting to correct the octave offset on the Pitch CV out of my MiniBrute. Have Arturia corrected this issue on the Keystep? If so I think it might be a better purchase than a precision adder or another Disting.

apparently, there are pitch cv offset and scale trimpots inside, but they are not officially user-serviceable.
Hazza26
Ah thanks bartleby, are you talking about the MiniBrute?
Hazza26
Sorry just clicked your link.. so they're on the Keystep!

Ok very helpful, thanks
av500
Hazza26 wrote:

through the MIDI control center you can set the 0V note from C-2 to D8
bartleby
Hazza26 wrote:
Ah thanks bartleby, are you talking about the MiniBrute?

no, the minibrute doesn't have these trimmers. the microbrute does, and apparently the keystep has a similar solution inside...
Hazza26
Thanks guys - don't know what the MIDI control center is but it sounds a lot easier than trimming pots! I'm sold.

Cheers

EDIT: just to confirm that is to set the 0V note for the Keystep keyboard not the MIDI in -> CV conversion?
bartleby
Hazza26 wrote:
Thanks guys - don't know what the MIDI control center is but it sounds a lot easier than trimming pots!

ah i think i miserad your post. i thought you were talking about the cv offset calibration issues that the many minibrutes and microbrutes suffer from. those trimpots inside the microbrute and presumably the keystep help to correct that.

if your question was about changing the assignment of midi notes to voltages - i.e. offseting several notes rather than just some millivolts, the midi control center is definitely the way to go. smile
grimoire
rowsbywoof wrote:
Sweetwater is saying its abnormal too

Ah, good to know. Hopefully Guitar Center will just let me swap mine out in-store. Waited almost a month for the thing to ship, don't really feel like waiting any longer to ship it back. It's a neat little controller, haven't had any issues using MIDI-Out, but my PC/MIDI Control Center doesnt detect it through USB. It doesn't acknowledge that it's even connected at all, besides sending power to it. Receives power just fine through USB>PC, USB>outlet, and USB>power bank.

Also, I was looking over the rest of the case and ports, and I noticed that the sync switch box is askew, and wiggles a fair amount when I try to flip the switches, like it wasn't mounted correctly. Is anyone else's like this?

basicbasic wrote:
I saw the aftertouch/pressure ribbon was held down at one end by masking tape (!)

Whaaaaat? This problem seems like such an easy thing to prevent on Arturia's end, if that's the case...
rowsbywoof
I called them this morning and they've already shipped a replacement for me, along with a return label for me to ship my KS back to them when the new one arrives. I'll check it out first and report if they're the same, though it sounds like we both are seeing the ribbon just pop up a bit on the corner.

If it is just taped down, I have a feeling there are going to be more people seeing this issue... Of course, after the warranty is up, I'd have no issues at all just pulling it apart and securing the ribbon down myself wink Just felt dumb being only a couple days old.

And, although my last few posts have been about an issue with the KeyStep, I want to also say I really like the little guy. Great little controller for the price. I'm very impressed by it so far, and I'd not want to be without it. Even only owning it a few days it helped me with a couple songs I was working on, and it's already integrating nicely into my workflow. Definitely dig the KS.
grimoire
Yeah, I'm just kinda chalking this up to first-run bugs. It works just fine with my Hades, and takes up far less space than my Axiom 49, that's primarily what I got it for.
basicbasic
So I can confirm the scale and offset trimmers are in there. Fairly easy to get at if you're confident with such things. Took me about 10 mins with a DMM to get it pretty much perfect across all octaves (unlike the microbrute where I couldn't get it to 0v for the life of me).

The stock setting was probably good enough but I wanted to see if I could get it perfect.

So far this thing (along with the upcoming firmware update which unfortunately I found another arp bug with) is pretty great.
av500
rowsbywoof wrote:

If it is just taped down, I have a feeling there are going to be more people seeing this issue... Of course, after the warranty is up, I'd have no issues at all just pulling it apart and securing the ribbon down myself wink Just felt dumb being only a couple days old.

yes, the ribbon is taped down on the left side, but it is also taped down the whole width of the keybed. so it's not the masking tape that holds it in place, because on the right side there would then be nothing holding it in place at all. the ribbon has sticky tape on the bottom and sticks to the black plastic frame of the keybed:

scottmoon
av500 wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:

yes, the ribbon is taped down on the left side, but it is also taped down the whole width of the keybed. so it's not the masking tape that holds it in place, because on the right side there would then be nothing holding it in place at all. the ribbon has sticky tape on the bottom and sticks to the black plastic frame of the keybed:

Masking tape is the best they could come up with? seriously, i just don't get it
av500
scottmoon wrote:

Masking tape is the best they could come up with? seriously, i just don't get it

it's the industry standard - but it's not regular masking tape, but the more musical kind smile
rowsbywoof
av500 wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:

OK... That's a lot better than it first sounded wink I was expecting things to look a lot worse inside from my mental image of what a taped down ribbon would look like.
av500
painlessparker
When playing live over the top of a sequence, is it possible to send the sequence and live playing to separate voices via CV outs and midi respectively?
hawkfuzz
I think with midi I believe each channel can have a sequence and you can change and go into another.

Cv is not possible le solely with the keystep.
av500
no reply yet from Arturia, but there is a similar "CV slew" issue with the BeatStep Pro it seems, I guess it's the same HW solution:

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87149.0
Flohr
My KeyStep arrived a few days ago. I just moved and have no internet so I haven't been able to download the editor for more advanced functions. So far:

Pros:
1. Form factor. I could fit it in a backpack to go jam with a friend. Awesome!
2. Various Sync modes work well. Dip switches instead of having to use an editor to change modes is great.
3. Arp and Sequencer with hold button. Intuitive and immediate.
4. Pitch and mod strip. Overall I dig these, nice feel.
5. Keys are better than MicroBrute.

Cons:
1. Keys are better than MicroBrute. (Not much in the way of praise.)
2. Mod Strip has no visual feedback to show its current level.
3. No BPM display or other way of showing the clock rate besides blinking lights. Not a big deal.
4. It would have been cool to have some knobs that could send ccs or be assigned to the mod cv output. Perhaps that will be on the KeyStep Pro.

Overall I'm really happy with it. Favorite things so far have been using the note priority on my MicroBrute to get duophonic cv out to my modular, and using the KS to control Nave on my iPad. Oh and Chord Memory!
machetemirage
Got mine this week.

Very easy to use out of the box, I didn't even bother using the editor until I'd played with it for awhile with both midi and CV devices. Huge plus imo

Build quality/keys blew my mind, having only memories of the Minilab, which felt plasticy with horrible keyboard feel... it didn't stay around long. This feels like a tank and the keys feel great.

My only complaint is that my OP-1/Pocket Operators are too weak to drive the sync in... Using the clock in/out on my Makenoise 0coast I can make it strong enough. A minor annoyance in the big picture.

Love it!
airfrankenstein
boinggg wrote:
I got mine recently, and had some time to give it a go last night.

I had a hell of a time getting it to work. I thought for a while that I must have gotten a broken one. Long story short- I had to update the firmware, and make sure that the sync in was in the same format as the BSP, which is sending the KSP the clock.

Once I got things sorted, I had a blast. I haven't delved into the KSP's deeper functions yet, but the sequencer works like it should (although determining seq length is a bit weird and different from the BSP) The arp is way cool- I Thought I would never really use it, but I kind of love the arp.

I wish there was a way to have multiple saved arps (I'm not sure it stores any), or a way to make the arp into a sequence, for storing capabilities.

Overall- adding this is an enhancement to my rig. I didn't have a poly hardware sequencer, it does what I hoped it would, and does some cool things I didn't expect.

I'd understood that the only way of adjusting sequence length is using the "cancel last step" button which is far from practical. Is there another solution?
For this feature the beat step seems more practical. The keyboard action is quite nice especially compared to the Microbrute.
Flohr
That reminds me of two cons which hopefully could be fixed in an update. 1. As mentioned above no sequence length parameter. 2. No mass delete/clear sequence. Having to hit the clear last step button repeatedly is annoying.
airfrankenstein
Flohr wrote:
That reminds me of two cons which hopefully could be fixed in an update. 1. As mentioned above no sequence length parameter. 2. No mass delete/clear sequence. Having to hit the clear last step button repeatedly is annoying.

Hope it can be fixed via firmware update : but without flashing buttons it'd be hard to know where sequence stops and starts. If there were at least the possibility of using an octave of keys to set sequence length as in 2,4,6,8...
rowsbywoof
Flohr wrote:

Are you sure? Mine has been boxed up for a little while now, waiting for my Sweetwater replacement. Dumb, I know, but I've been busy and already boxed it, expecting an RMA, before learning they would just ship me out another first.

Anyway, I could have sworn there were steps in the manual to choose sequence length, as I was walking through it with the keyboard last week. Also, clearing a sequence is pretty much as easy as just recording over it. It's actually easier to nuke something than it is to add things to a sequence with the way they have it setup wink I do remember that from my limited use with it.
rowsbywoof
AH, that's right... Just browsing through the manual again. The sequence length thing is a pain: You enter notes to set a sequence, you can't define a sequence length.

You're right, that would be something nice to fix.

As for clearing everything, though, yeah... That's basically just record a new sequence over the one you're looking to delete. To append you either have to record into the sequence while it is playing, or press rec -> play from a stopped sequence. Otherwise pressing rec and entering notes will kill the sequence already saved. It's not a mass delete, but pretty easy to just wipe over things when needed.

That length parameter, though... Yeah. Sucks that you can't even extend a current sequence with the rec -> play option. Once set, it's set, and that's something that will hopefully get fixed grin
rowsbywoof
Replacement came today, and this one is working perfectly. All keys are as they should be. No wobbly ports or switches.
starmandeluxe
Just got mine this past weekend and found a broken key on delivery. The middle F# only outputs a CV gate sometimes when pressing this key. Half the time nothing comes out. Only this key has this issue.

I contacted Arturia but they weren't very helpful as I purchased this outside the US so I'd have to pay for the repair myself... I didn't see the logic in punishing the consumer for a brand new item with a hardware defect so I'm trying to get the merchant to replace my unit.

Lesson is, be careful on the build quality and check everything, and make sure you check the warranty policy before you buy (wasn't made clear to me via the shop I got it from).
starmandeluxe
Update on my broken key issue: The reseller was kind enough to send me a replacement unit, and to my shock, the same problem! Except this time it's not the F# key, but the Bb key that only outputs gate CV sometimes. I'm going to have to ask them to give me yet another replacement. Buyer beware!
droningspaghettimonster
aweful to read that! eek!

hope you get proper replacement sooner than later, i love my keystep and have experienced no issues what so ever. brought it along to a gig already. thumbs up
starmandeluxe

hope you get proper replacement sooner than later, i love my keystep and have experienced no issues what so ever. brought it along to a gig already. thumbs up

Thank you. Unfortunately, just a few minutes ago my 3rd unit came in and I exchanged the second broken unit for it, and I just tested it and the same issue exists but with a different key. This time the low A key outputs absolutely nothing (no CV, no USB/Midi). The key itself is simply BROKEN. It is always just one key that is not functioning. Keep in mind this is a NEW item. The entire batch sent to this shop must have been compromised.
rowsbywoof
Are you running the latest firmware? Both of mine shipped with 1.0.2, but 1.0.5 is the latest. I'm guessing you already tried, but if you haven't, maybe this is just a firmware glitch? Try 1.0.5 and see if it fixes it for you... It's so odd you're having problem after problem with these. Mine worked flawlessly, just had a build issue that was annoying. Nothing was actually non-working on either controller I have.
rowsbywoof
Also, yeah, the Keystep has improved my workflow about tenfold. I love the little controller. Its small enough to sit on the desk full time, and is ready to go whenever I get in the mood to mess around in Live or with a smaller key-less synth. It's not the best build quality, granted, but for the money it's still damn good. Here's hoping they can get some of the little first run issues ironed out, but even as is I'm more than happy with my Keystep.
Yip2
starmandeluxe wrote:

Thank you. Unfortunately, just a few minutes ago my 3rd unit came in and I exchanged the second broken unit for it, and I just tested it and the same issue exists but with a different key. This time the low A key outputs absolutely nothing (no CV, no USB/Midi). The key itself is simply BROKEN. It is always just one key that is not functioning. Keep in mind this is a NEW item. The entire batch sent to this shop must have been compromised.

This is the same problem I had with my first shipment. I'm lucky that my replacement seems to be working fine. I'm lucky I wasn't planning on gigging with this, because it doesn't seem reliable at all.
starmandeluxe
rowsbywoof wrote:
Are you running the latest firmware? Both of mine shipped with 1.0.2, but 1.0.5 is the latest. I'm guessing you already tried, but if you haven't, maybe this is just a firmware glitch? Try 1.0.5 and see if it fixes it for you... It's so odd you're having problem after problem with these. Mine worked flawlessly, just had a build issue that was annoying. Nothing was actually non-working on either controller I have.

It's not a firmware related glitch. I did do the update. It is pretty clearly a hardware problem when only one key out of all of them doesn't function. Also, it's odd, but it's not that odd: it's likely one of the first batches, and since I am simply getting replacements from the same lot, it is not unusual that the entire lot is compromised.
pix
question for keystep users, can you record/overdub mod wheel sweeps into the sequence, and if so is this stepped or continuous?

I'm wondering if I can use this as a CV looper of sorts.
tosol
Is it possible to transpose arpeggiator like on SH-101? I know Keystep can transpose sequences but what about arpeggios? Can't find any info on that. seriously, i just don't get it
Flohr
pix No. That would be sweet though! I wish more synths and controllers came with knob recording functionality.

tosol No. When an arp is latched and you press a new key it starts a different arp.
jcn7
So I just received an Arturia Keystep tonight, and started playing around with it a bit, and it inspired me to compose this in about 15 minutes! I really love this thing!

Anyway, it's late and hopefully I won't have a night like depicted in this little piece.

Update: So I reworked that quick little sketch into more of a real piece of music...now called "Insomnia 2.0

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/276066205" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

I'm so thrilled with this new Keystep! It's simple yet powerful and allows me to work quickly. I find that speed of trying out ideas, simplicity, and inspiration are are integrated to productivity. For me this will be one of the most important pieces of gear in the studio simply because of speed and function.
stwerewolf
Any sign of these in the UK yet? Seems to be taking an age.
kites
Yikes, Arturia has always had problems with any of their products with keys. I've heard users receive broken keys from everything from the Keylabs to Minibrutes.

Shame to here the same thing happen with the Keystep waah
Hope it gets resolved.
kwil
stwerewolf wrote:

Juno had stock earlier on in the week but I missed out. However DV247 have them in, ordered last night and waiting for package to arrive today.

Will give it a good test given the problems that have been reported.
stwerewolf
kwil wrote:
stwerewolf wrote:

Juno had stock earlier on in the week but I missed out. However DV247 have them in, ordered last night and waiting for package to arrive today.

Will give it a good test given the problems that have been reported.

Just grabbed one off PMT/Dolphin. They're not showing up on the website but they do have them if you ring up. Should be here tomorrow.

Fingers crossed there's no issue with keys, hoping to use it at some shows next week.
Umcorps
stwerewolf wrote:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/arturia_keystep.htm?ref=search_rslt_keystep_ 380937_0

"Available immediately"
newgreyarea
I've had one for a couple of weeks! Love it! haven't used it too much for CV stuff yet as I've had it at my house and the modular is in the studio. Used CV at a friend's studio while recording last night. Worked great but didn't check every key.

I love the poly sequencing way more than I thought I would.
For the price, it's really good. Sorry to see, but not surprised to hear, that there are issues. Seems to happen to every piece of Arturia gear I've ever owned. Think I went through 3 MiniBrutes and 2 Micros before I gave up.

-b
suitandtieguy
well guys i just bought one of these, paid full price so i could complain in public!

you'll hear from me soon.
Leverkusen
Hm, mine arrived yesterday and while all the keys are alright the software is not. I already found some things that do not work as expected in the arpeggio pause/restart behavior. confused

Plus what I miss is a simple trigger at the gate out instead of a gate, that would be cool!

EDIT: I muddled up gate and trigger in the last sentence, now it's right.
newgreyarea
Leverkusen wrote:
Hm, mine arrived yesterday and while all the keys are alright the software is not. I already found some things that do not work as expected in the arpeggio pause/restart behavior. confused

Plus what I miss is a simple trigger at the gate out instead of a trigger, that would be cool!

I'm afraid I don't know the difference between a "simple trigger" versus a "trigger". I may just call it something different.

Also, Not really spent much time with the software. I did program a sequence in it to see if I could but that was it.

-b
Leverkusen
newgreyarea wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:

Plus what I miss is a simple trigger at the gate out instead of a trigger, that would be cool!

I'm afraid I don't know the difference between a "simple trigger" versus a "trigger". I may just call it something different.

Also, Not really spent much time with the software. I did program a sequence in it to see if I could but that was it.

-b

Ups... d'oh!

Instead of a gate I wanted to say - fixed it above for clarification.
The aim is to get something like retriggering when you press a key and another key is still pressed. Now you get portamento then with a long gate for both notes. BTW: ist there a glide inside?
newgreyarea
Leverkusen wrote:
newgreyarea wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:

-b

Ups... d'oh!

Instead of a gate I wanted to say - fixed it above for clarification.
The aim is to get something like retriggering when you press a key and another key is still pressed. Now you get portamento then with a long gate for both notes. BTW: ist there a glide inside?

Ahhh!! Gotcha!
I've not seen a glide, but it may very well have that. I'd guess not as we can do that within the modular realm.
starmandeluxe
starmandeluxe wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:

It's not a firmware related glitch. I did do the update. It is pretty clearly a hardware problem when only one key out of all of them doesn't function. Also, it's odd, but it's not that odd: it's likely one of the first batches, and since I am simply getting replacements from the same lot, it is not unusual that the entire lot is compromised.

Final update on this. I received my FOURTH replacement unit after much stress and frustration in dealing with the merchant and the unhelpful support and warranty policy from Arturia. This unit finally was functional!

The merchant literally had to open the box before shipping it to me to test that the keys weren't broken this time and they found one that was working.

Shame on you Arturia. This is my first, and will be my last, purchase from them since they failed to deliver fundamentally working hardware yet happily take my money and remove warranty for international users, and their "support" consists of simply asking for more money to repair a broken product that they sold DOA for full price. SMH.
suitandtieguy
here's a video of Keystep working with my Trigger Mini-Store and a MAM MB33 Retro.

it could use a couple of features which will never be implemented and bug fixes which might, but I am at least able to do this so I can get making music with it. I'm delighted. will buy another just for my Blofeld:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIhQNG4D_Mw/
newgreyarea
suitandtieguy wrote:
here's a video of Keystep working with my Trigger Mini-Store and a MAM MB33 Retro.

it could use a couple of features which will never be implemented and bug fixes which might, but I am at least able to do this so I can get making music with it. I'm delighted. will buy another just for my Blofeld:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIhQNG4D_Mw/

It's perfect to use with the Blofeld! Too bad the Blofeld doesn't fit on it like it does on my Novation controller.
macs4music
Just got mine this afternoon; great fun so far...

Not being a hacking type, do other users think it might be possible to put in a second CV out jack for the mod strip or is it too software controlled for that to work?

Neil
av500
macs4music wrote:
Just got mine this afternoon; great fun so far...

Not being a hacking type, do other users think it might be possible to put in a second CV out jack for the mod strip or is it too software controlled for that to work?

Neil

not sure I understand, the mod strip is already on a CV out jack. what I miss is the aftertouch on another CV out, there is an unused DA converter in the chip, so it would have been easy to provide that....

but yes, its a microcontroller and a lot of software...
hawkfuzz
You should just put it in a mult. Maybe run an attenuater from one single?
dumbledog
Can the Keystep transpose its keyboard without the use of software? I see in the manual that you can transpose an arpeggio but nothing on e.g. turning the A key into a C#.
macs4music
It's the same thing - I have after touch routed to the mod out so at the moment I'm not using the mod strip. Using a Mult simply sends the same signal to multiple locations rather than allowing me to use the mod strip by itself.

I think I'm going to look at getting an Expert Sleepers FH1 to allow me to use them all; that way I can use velocity too.

Neil
av500
macs4music wrote:
It's the same thing - I have after touch routed to the mod out so at the moment I'm not using the mod strip. Using a Mult simply sends the same signal to multiple locations rather than allowing me to use the mod strip by itself.

ah, I missed that possibility in the settings smile So it's a damn shame they did not add another CV out to have both, as said there is a spare DAC on the chip sitting idle...
tosol
basicbasic wrote:

Did this hotfix solve the 1step(Gate) and arp issue for you? If it did, could you please share that fix with us? Can't wait for Arturia to release the new firmware update..
suitandtieguy
I'm using the Keystep triggered by my trigger sequencer to control a MAM MB33 Retro and making the best acid lines of my life.

Quirky, rolling, interactive acid lines. I've been wanting to do this for so long.

I used it at my gig on Friday at a museum:

https://suitandtieguy.bandcamp.com/album/peoria-riverfront-museum-augu st-2016

i am looking forward to the arp bug when under gate sync fix. that's a bit of a bummer. if that gets fixed i'll get a second for my Blofeld.
hawkfuzz
Does anyone know how one would patch so the notes don't decay until after I let go?

I'm racking my brain, but feel like it is possible. I've been using Maths and Peaks for envelope now how to get a VCA to stay open after the gate hits the envelope?

Edit: Help to know the rack I bet
[/img]
Roy72
DOuble post
Roy72
Use the maths offset, so there is always a positive voltage into the VCA, so it stays open. Or maybe put the gate into the arrow in rather than the trigger in. so it sustains until the gate closes? Or am I misunderstanding?
gimber
hawkfuzz wrote:
Does anyone know how one would patch so the notes don't decay until after I let go?

Peaks has an ADSR mode and an AD mode - if you're in ADSR mode it should work as you're hoping. It sounds like you have it in AD mode.
Leverkusen
Roy72 wrote:
Put the gate into the arrow in rather than the trigger in so it sustains until the gate closes

this should work... thumbs up
hawkfuzz
I have the peaks in expert mode, however using the maths as the envelope and multing it. Definitely going to try the peaks instead. Thanks!
Seaweed Sound
Really digging the Keystep for coming up with riffs. A buddy and I needed dinsync adapter cables and I made some extras.. PM me or check FS section if you need one or two for your Keystep. Got mine slaved to a TR-808 so I can use the MIDI input for transposing sequences. Haven't measured yet but the timing sounds tight.

I think it'll work as a bidirectional MIDI to Sync24 converter too.
Leverkusen
suitandtieguy wrote:
I'm using the Keystep triggered by my trigger sequencer to control a MAM MB33 Retro and making the best acid lines of my life.

Quirky, rolling, interactive acid lines. I've been wanting to do this for so long.

I used it at my gig on Friday at a museum:

https://suitandtieguy.bandcamp.com/album/peoria-riverfront-museum-augu st-2016

i am looking forward to the arp bug when under gate sync fix. that's a bit of a bummer. if that gets fixed i'll get a second for my Blofeld.

I just installed the new firmware and it works now nicely with single stepped arpeggios! Great little keyboard - I already learned some chord schemes, next step will be thinking about rehearsing some scales that fit to my modular quantizers... hihi
Licudi
starmandeluxe wrote:
Shame on you Arturia. This is my first, and will be my last, purchase from them since they failed to deliver fundamentally working hardware yet happily take my money and remove warranty for international users, and their "support" consists of simply asking for more money to repair a broken product that they sold DOA for full price. SMH.

Remove warranty for international users? What does that mean?
StanleyHiller
Sucks that people have been having issues with this. Just got mine after waiting on backorder for a while, not sure but maybe that was a good thing it kinda forced me not to be an early (or initial?) adopter. I do pretty much all of my sequencing with an mpc or in ableton, so having this thing around has been kind of amazing. I've been waiting for an affordable controller with CV options that I can plug and play for a while, and i think this is a good solution for me over a cv keyboard module or even the pressure points brains combo. definitely cheaper at least. Haven't dug into the software yet, but from a few nights of messing around I was pretty much instantly happy with it.

here's simple jam, the keystep is the center of it, providing the main arpeggio and clock for bass and melody:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/280677606" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Teddyruxx
when this thing is working, i can't imagine anything coming close to its functionality at CLOSE to the price.
i love my BSP too, and the Brutes have found their uses, but this just goes so well w/ EVERYTHING, LOVE it w/ the 0-Coast
kites
So how well does the Keystep and BSP work together? Is there a lot of overlap, or just right?
franman69
That is a great question.. I have a BSP and I'm just not getting enough use out of it. I end up sequencing with Rene and Turing more often (I guess I like less structure) but the Arp and possible Lead lines on a keyboard is attractive to me. I've avoided any type of traditional keyboard up to now, but I'm really getting ready to fall off the fence onto a keystep. I think I might end up letting my BSP go. I don't do chained sequencing so I don't know if I need it... hmmm.
rowsbywoof
franman69 wrote:
That is a great question.. I have a BSP and I'm just not getting enough use out of it. I end up sequencing with Rene and Turing more often (I guess I like less structure) but the Arp and possible Lead lines on a keyboard is attractive to me. I've avoided any type of traditional keyboard up to now, but I'm really getting ready to fall off the fence onto a keystep. I think I might end up letting my BSP go. I don't do chained sequencing so I don't know if I need it... hmmm.

It's great for doing simple melodic pieces. The small keys really don't allow for any serious playing, but the chord mode and nice arp really does bring a lot of usability into the little guy. I really don't use it as a sequencer at all, and that surprises me, since that was my original hope for it. Setup some cool sequences and then play over them... but what I do more is just send some MIDI data to Live and use it as a completely awesome scratchpad/controller.

It's really great for the money. If mine died tomorrow I'd buy another. Can't say that for a lot of cheap controllers in my setup.
franman69
Ok.. let's say I get a Keystep and a Circuit. I have an MPU101 that I'd like to use to get Midi Note data out of the Circuit. I'd like to be able to clock the Keystep, Circuit and my Pams on the Modular. What's the best clock flow that will allow Start/Stop?? I'm thinking Keystep MIDI > CIrcuit (for Clock) and Keystep Clock Sync out to Modular.. question is are both clock OUTS available at the same time if I try to drive the entire rig with the Keystep??? Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps clock out of the Pams into the keystep and then MIDI from Keystep > Circuit?? Once again, can you drive one clock IN to the Keystep and have it generate another (MIDI) Clock out to the CIrcuit??

Hoping somebody's doing something like this.. thanks guys!
thresholdpeople
Can anyone confirm that this has an 11-octave range? I asked in the other Keystep thread, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

I'm looking for a small keyboard type thing that helps calibrate VCOs and this may be it!
kites
Thanks guys, I'm hoping the Keystep BSP duo will end my hardware sequencer hunt for a while.

From what I gather from the Ytube, it sounds like the Keystep helps write nice melodies on the fly.
hawkfuzz
Don't have the BSP but I'd imagine the two really complete any desires from external programming. MIDI to CV is also a plus for many.
kites
My Keystep came in last night and worked perfectly on arrival. I was anticipating some factory issue from what you've all said above, but everything seems to be fine so far.

The BSP and Keystep make a good duo, each filling in for each other - kinda feel like it would be fun integrated as one massive controller.

Anyone discover some interesting patches?
mackster
Hi I've already got a bsp and am considering getting the key step for the arp/extra sequences, but would like to get feedback from existing bsp/ks users on the timing. Specifically is anyone getting midi and cv timing issues when one unit is slaved to the other?
Cheers
basicbasic
mackster wrote:
Hi I've already got a bsp and am considering getting the key step for the arp/extra sequences, but would like to get feedback from existing bsp/ks users on the timing. Specifically is anyone getting midi and cv timing issues when one unit is slaved to the other?
Cheers

I have both and I have the Keystep synced via 1ppq from the sync out of the BSP. I sync the BSP to logic via USB with no obvious issues.

Perhaps ironically I find the BSP easier to record 'natural' sounding, played by hand melodies as it's easy to set the sequence length to 32 or 64. The sinle octave (at a time) 'keyboard' is obviously the weak part, but overdubbing is so easy. On the Keystep i've found it was less intuitive, so I mainly use it for step-time sequences and arps at which it's perfect.
mackster
Thanks basicbasic- appreciate the feedback.
tarmoog
Rarely I get as positively suprised as I got with Keystep. Super easy and fast to sketch out ideas with step sequencer, transpose sequences etc...

I would pretty much recommend this to anyone starting with modular and before they go and purchase more expensive sequencers.
charonme
what's the slowest speed the sequencer can play on its own (without external clocking)?
indigoid
So I picked up a Keystep today, after seeing them in a Make Noise demo video. Might have been a video for the 0-coast. Impressions:

* I somehow misread the DIP switch instructions and got the switches backwards for what I wanted :-( This caused a lot of frustration... entirely own fault though, and I don't see how Arturia could have prevented this really, except perhaps to make it another rotary switch instead, which would cost more

* once over that hurdle... the firmware update process sucks. Seems to have a very narrow window of time in which to hit the OK button after unplug/plug. But I eventually got it and the update process worked after that

* really enjoying the seq/arp with my pair of Pittsburgh Modular Synth Blocks

* no actual problems with usage once I got the DIP switches sorted out d'oh!

* I like the narrow keys as it gives my big ape hands a wider reach, good when using the arp and reaching for the hold button
indigoid
charonme wrote:
what's the slowest speed the sequencer can play on its own (without external clocking)?

I think the manual says 30bpm is the lower end
etheroar
Just got a Keystep and overall it's great, really helping my melodic workflow. One thing I've noticed about the sequencer workflow that'a annoying me is this: when you hit record, play some notes {keyboard untransposed) for the sequence, then press play, if you hit the same key you started the sequence with it's automatically been transposed down an octave. If I'm recording a bassline say, and I record the step sequence with the transposition down 2 octaves, then when I hit play and try to transpose the sequence the keyboard has been transposed down TWO octaves. Why does it do this? Why doesn't it stay in the octave range that you recorded the sequence? Is this a Midi Control Center issue? This seems to be the default behavior.
av500
etheroar wrote:
Just got a Keystep and overall it's great, really helping my melodic workflow. One thing I've noticed about the sequencer workflow that'a annoying me is this: when you hit record, play some notes {keyboard untransposed) for the sequence, then press play, if you hit the same key you started the sequence with it's automatically been transposed down an octave. If I'm recording a bassline say, and I record the step sequence with the transposition down 2 octaves, then when I hit play and try to transpose the sequence the keyboard has been transposed down TWO octaves. Why does it do this? Why doesn't it stay in the octave range that you recorded the sequence? Is this a Midi Control Center issue? This seems to be the default behavior.

yeah, that bugs me too, but I haven't yet found the will to dive into the control center and find out if it can be changed...
ElCampesino
I'v hooked up the keystep via USB to my DAW and I'm syncing the sequencers and other stuff I have in my modular.

Sync is super solid. But my problem is that it always starts the sequence in the keystep whenever I start the DAW. I don't want this because I want to use the CV outs to play stuff I have programmed in my DAW. When not in USB sync mode, it does that with no problem at all. I record melodies in the DAW and play it back to my modular via the keystep. No biggie.

And when I press the stop button on the keystep but keep the DAW running, the sync out stops spitting out gates so my external sequencers all stop. Ugh.

Does anyone know a solution to this? Is it really impossible to use the keystep as a simple midi to cv converter with the USB sync enabled? waah
Orwell
Took a punt on the key step and it's a bargain
Keys are actually nice.
A knob for switching between 8 sequences is gold for me
I like it more than the underwelming verbos keys and it's in someways more versatile than the Sputnik keys. Wish it had the multi cv outs similar to the Sputnik but the stored 8 sequences gives it a lot of power.
Anyway it's so simple to use with modular and it's rock solid.
Best Buy, I love it.
Leverkusen
...mine suddenly lost the ability to sync to external clock. confused
Hoping for an answer of Arturias support team now....
hawkfuzz
Last time that happened to me I realized the DIP switches were wrong.
Leverkusen
Yes, you always have to think of them switches - I tend to set them on Midi when I go over USB and then wonder what's up. Or I set them upside down, looking from above. d'oh!

But not in this case, unfortunately... seriously, i just don't get it
DonaldCrunk
picked one up. having fun so far, haven't tried any firmware updates or anything. Need to build a 3.5 mm stereo - > DIN cable to sync my 606.

i took it to a 'kids play synthesizers' type event here in Seattle yesterday and set it up controlling a Korg Volca Keys. the kids had a lot of fun with it, but let me tell you they did brick it at least 3 times requiring a hard reset. Who knows what they did - all manner of strange button combos. At one point all of the lights were flashing very rapidly while a 4 year old laughed hysterically

if you ever want to beta test something, take it to an event like this holy shit. good luck figuring out what caused the bug though
ElCampesino
Does anyone know how to setup the keystep to generate CV sync out in USB mode without the sequencer starting? See my post of november 8.

Does anyone know if that's even possible? seriously, i just don't get it
avandelay
Can the Keystep take midi notes from an external source and translate them into a chord? I'd like to run a sequence from the Beatstep to a Keystep, so I can have a monosynth playing the root note via Beatstep CV and a poly playing chords/arps via Keystep. I do not have a Keystep, just considering whether it will be useful in my setup. Thanks for any advice.
Nightly Closures
If nobody answers you by this weekend, I'll give it a try. I get mine on Friday and will be hooking it up to the BSP.
avandelay
Thanks, I think it would be good information for people to have.
clusterchord
i finally hooked up my Keystep last night.

installation of mcc and new firmware went without a hitch. haven't tried synchronisation yet, just played the keyboard and arpeggiator, hooking it up first to E350 and a Maths envelope, and then to my old Oberheim SEM. v/oct is ever so slightly high when playing E350. i was relieved to hear you can open it and trim the v/oct trimmer. for some strange concidence, SEM was perfect.

(does E350 have v/oct trimmer at the back, maybe thats the culprit? never thought about this,,as this is the first time ever im playing it melodically, instead of just doing some spooky drones.,.,)

few of my findings, in short..

pros: build quality, metal case, buttons are okay too, aftertouch and modulation wheel respond nice. bang for the buck is incredible. however:

cons:

i can hear that damn slew even on sequences spanning an octave. for a while it was fine, then i started noticing it more n more. basically its impossible to get that punchy cutting 8/16-step bassline, as its always "swimming" with that few milisecond slew. a deal breaker. even midi/cv coverters from 30yrs ago didn't perform so poorly in this regard.

keys are infinitely better than microbrutes, and have some resistance so you can do gradual dynamics to an extent, but overall its not a keyboard for precise pyrotechnics, or any sort of inspired, rubato performance. guess its only full size keys for me.

arpeggiator, tons of its various modes are less musical than i expected. especially the random which i had high hopes for. code for randomness is somehow stupid - too static and repetitive. and too often you get double nots in a row. on top of this there is no provision for octave jump. so all together a far cry from magic that is on my jupiters. i know it was perhaps too much to ask for, but a bad arp is the same as no arp to me.

i got best results using ORDER mode and continously changing the order of notes, pressing in slow rhythm changing notes, octaves etc.

i might keep it as small portable usb keyboard to feed my MBP, and will provide arpeggiators in cubase or live, and feed it to expert sleeprs. that dont have the bloody slew - unless you want it. but i am already brainstorming options involving FH1. this would allow me to use whatever full size usb keyboard.

i know its hypothetically possible they update the behaviour of that arpeggiator and polish some other bugs. but i fear the slew might be simply insuficient hardware/cpu/dac issue.
av500
clusterchord wrote:
but i fear the slew might be simply insuficient hardware/cpu/dac issue.

the slew is pretty much fixed in hardware and is due to the "DAC" scheme that they implemented, using a fancy dual 8-bit PWM where a lot of filtering is needed. I understand they did not want to use the onboard 12-bit DAC of the CPU, but they could have hooked up an outside 14-16bit DAC for $1-2 more and have a proper CV out.
clusterchord
i managed to partially workarround the lack of octave jump by simply grabbing two and a half octave worth of desired notes. not ideal, but sounds better that way.

synchronisation with analog clock is working, and it outputs whatever clock source you chose as its master, on all its other outputs/formats. basically it does double duty a clock converter.

i succesfully slaved it to CR8000 pulse, played random arp into moog Source, and routed its analog clock output to SH101 sequencer. i've ran that setup for an hour, and it all stayed in sync.

decided to keep it. if it weren't for slew issue, i'd get another immediately. its a perfect front end for monosynths, with or without keyboard. i've enjoyed soloing while controlling filter with aftertouch. and was suprised how much i like the pitch bend strip. it just might be perfect - when i set a larger range, like 5th, it allows me to move within with precision, and some tricks in expression that aren't possible with classic stick or wheel.
Redstar
Great piece of kit if you are space limited nice size keys too. only hade mine a few week but would recomend it for cash strapped beginners looking for a controller that does midi and cv
guraynet
does anyone know that can I use arrpegiator/sequencer of keystep via usb with ableton ?
Redstar
Yes you can use Arp/Seq via usb with ableton or almost any Daw
Corbeau
Just bought one of these, mainly to use with the Little Deformer 2 but using it with the modular will definitely be fun. Good thing I'm not picky when it comes to keys, just so long as they don't snap on me I'm fine. It was either this or the microbrute, and I'm low on space so hopefully it wasn't a bad compromise. And It doesn't look like there are too many major bugs...

Turning my bugbrand system into a sort of beastly monosynth is going to be fun too. I've only used it for poly-rhythms so far due to the lack of keys really.

Here's hoping the holidays don't delay the delivery too much.
zobbo
I got one of these for Xmas and really enjoying it

One comment (I've just read the whole thread but might have missed it). Some people were wishing that you could route aftertouch to the CV Mod out instead of just from the Mod strip. That is settable now (maybe not before?) from the MIDI Control Centre - MOD CD Source can be either Mod Wheel, Velocity of After Touch.

Cheers

Ian
damase
Feature request:
A way to disable midi clock output, or change midi clock to strictly Thru output via software.

I have other great gear that id like to slave to the same midi clock as the keystep, but i want to do odd analogue sync clocks to generate cool rhythms on the keystep... So once i flip on the arp it shoots out the crazy midi clocks to the next gear which messes them up.
couchcoatcat
Couldn't find anything through search bar.

I would like to send midi info from my Eurorack sequencer to a 'regular' keyboard synth.

I got:

Metropolis
Arturia Keystep
Microkorg

Will the Keystep facilitate this, through the CV (input), and then with the MIDI output to the synth?

http://downloads.arturia.com/products/keystep/manual/KeyStep_Manual_1_ 0_0_EN.pdf

Manual page 11 clearly says it is a CV output, so I am just checking if I am going to blow things up.
flo
^ You probably won't blow up anything, but it simply won't work.

There are not that much options for CV to midi (plenty for the other way around). But you can find a few threads on this board if you dig for it.
couchcoatcat
Ok thanks for the info!

Guess I will have to invest in a Yarns or something similar.
Leverkusen
I think Yarns or something similar won't do the trick either.

What you want is CV to Midi conversion - not Midi to CV conversion. Like the Doepfer A-192 (not the A-190).
Flohr
couchcoatcat

Like they said you can't use the KeyStep as a cv to midi converter but one thing you can do that would be cool is set the clock input to 1 pulse per step and then use the Metropolis gate patterns to advance the KeyStep sequence or arp and send that midi out to the MicroKorg. So you could generate the rhythmic pattern with Metropolis.
couchcoatcat
Ouch, why do all these basic functions have to be so complicated and expensive in eurorack.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually it is the rhythm that make the metropolis so great.
King Faust
So I don't know if this has been addressed already, but it seems there is no way to keep the MIDI clock going when you stop the sequencer/arpeggiator. I'm not that experienced with MIDI so it might not be a specific Keystep problem, but it does get in the way of my plan of using it as a master clock for a few synths all synced through MIDI (I want to be able to stop the arpeggiator/sequencer without everything else going out of sync).

Does anyone know of a way to keep the clock running all the time? (the sync out does this but well, not all synths have this option)
flo
Flohr wrote:
but one thing you can do that would be cool is set the clock input to 1 pulse per step and then use the Metropolis gate patterns to advance the KeyStep sequence or arp and send that midi out to the MicroKorg. So you could generate the rhythmic pattern with Metropolis.

You can do that. In the control panel.

The big caveat is the gate length... But it does advance on irregular trigger patterns when set to 4ppqn.
polykobol
So...anyone here with some inside information whether or not a KeyStep Pro will arrive soon? It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
Leverkusen
polykobol wrote:
So...anyone here with some inside information whether or not a KeyStep Pro will arrive soon? It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

What do you have in mind - a Beatstep Pro with an attached keyboard? Could be nice if the keys were bigger, better and if there were some more of them... thumbs up
polykobol
Leverkusen wrote:
What do you have in mind - a Beatstep Pro with an attached keyboard?

Partly. Another set of CV/gate outputs. An intelligent random feature like the BeatStep Pro has. 16 step buttons to easily mute or change each step.

Leverkusen wrote:
Could be nice if the keys were bigger, better and if there were some more of them... thumbs up

Nah, I think the small size is an advantage in this case. wink
fano
does the ks fit inside a rack? i imagine it would be nice to have this on a pull out tray.
flo
It is rather precisely 19 inch wide. I suppose it would not fit a rack drawer, like just for a few cm...
fano
yeah that's what i figured. google says it's 482.6mm wide which is precisely 19" format. damn, what a shame!
cscairney
Just picked up a keystep. must say the arpeggiator is perfect as far as 'I'm concerned. Build quality is great. Features seem well implemented... I like the resistant aftertouch as well. A good tool to play with... not a useless toy, which is what I was afraid of.
johnnyapolis
Noob question if you please:
I just plugged mine in for the first time last night into my 0-Coast. I'm not sure if it was the settings of the envelope on the 0C, but it seems like I had to wait a while before I could trigger another note, regardless of the envelope settings. The only way I can remedy this is to adjust my playing to perfect releases right before striking the next key, which seems like it shouldn't be that unforgiving. Is there some mode I don't know about? I scoured the user's manual, youtube, and this forum and couldn't find an answer. I hope it's not broken! Any ideas?
johnnyapolis
The other thing that is weird thing is that the fundamental pitch that the oscillator is generating is only accessible when I have the Key Step tuned 4 octaves down playing the lowest possible note. I would think the fundamental would be accessible in the middle of the keyboard with the octaves reset to the default octave.

It's really weird because even with the oscillator set to the LOWEST pitch, I still have to pitch the Key Step down 3 or 4 octaves just to access those notes. What do I need to know about this?
tobywan
Had a Keystep arrive today. Had to send it straight back. The ModWheel strip was broken and wouldn't output any messages over both MIDI or CV.

Tested the Aftertouch and Velocity out the the Mod CV port which worked fine. Modwheel... nothing! Bit disappointing :(
revoltcrews
edit. delete. figured out my issue.
apparently the JP-08's on board sequencer was starting and it had steps entered. which i did not enter.
cleared those.
and now my keystep isn't playing a weird sequence that i didn't record.

hilarious. Dead Banana
basicbasic
johnnyapolis wrote:

It's really weird because even with the oscillator set to the LOWEST pitch, I still have to pitch the Key Step down 3 or 4 octaves just to access those notes. What do I need to know about this?

Sounds like the kind of thing the Arturia software can help with - MIDI control centre I think it's called.
stwerewolf
Am I right in saying that the chord hold/sequencer modes will only work with MIDI, and not CV/Gate seeing as there's only one output? I don't have much experience in sequencer old analogue polysynths (Mono/Poly for example), but assume their CV/Gate in is mono as standard?
Leverkusen
johnnyapolis wrote:
Noob question if you please:
I just plugged mine in for the first time last night into my 0-Coast. I'm not sure if it was the settings of the envelope on the 0C, but it seems like I had to wait a while before I could trigger another note, regardless of the envelope settings. The only way I can remedy this is to adjust my playing to perfect releases right before striking the next key, which seems like it shouldn't be that unforgiving. Is there some mode I don't know about? I scoured the user's manual, youtube, and this forum and couldn't find an answer. I hope it's not broken! Any ideas?

When you press a key the keystep sets a not on until you release the key, pressing another key before releasing the first one keeps the note on and changes the note value. Same with the gate output if you use the CV out.
You want a retrigger, I don't know if the o-toast can do that.

johnnyapolis wrote:
The other thing that is weird thing is that the fundamental pitch that the oscillator is generating is only accessible when I have the Key Step tuned 4 octaves down playing the lowest possible note. I would think the fundamental would be accessible in the middle of the keyboard with the octaves reset to the default octave.

The "default" octave setting should play around a middle C and you might tune the oscillator after that. Switching to lower or higher octaves is not tuning the keystep but changing the frame you work on. A full keyboard has 88 keys and the lowest note is played with the left most key. Changing the octave on the keystep moves the frame of the current keys to the left or the right until you reach that lowest note.

Midi transmits note values and CV voltage values since there is neither negative voltage for pitch nor negative midi values you should tune the oscillator to the lowest pitch you need while pressing the key you want to play it in the octave range that gives you as much headroom as you want.
colourloss
What is the best way to use the Keystep to sync modular with ableton live? I like to clock the modular with my Wogglebug - could I clock the Keystep with the Wogglebug and have it send that clock to Ableton?
Beewo
colourloss wrote:
What is the best way to use the Keystep to sync modular with ableton live? I like to clock the modular with my Wogglebug - could I clock the Keystep with the Wogglebug and have it send that clock to Ableton?

You should be able to, check out the the types of sync that the Keystep can receive thought.. I have yet to run into anything that is straight up not compatible clock wise.
Wendy Veen
Just ordered last night based on some YT clips, but seeing now that folks are having some trouble really getting it to integrate into Eurorack.

Hoping I'm not destined for the same fate.
tcbilly
I ordered mine today. Hope it will work fine with my setup confused
Obsessed
I've had mine since last summer. It's worked great for me.
Nightly Closures
Mine works great with euro
av500
black is the new white! Ninja

Metatarsals
av500 wrote:
black is the new white! Ninja

Just got one of these through today but it's going back if I can't get the firmware upgraded. Pretty sure I had this problem (on another mac) with the BSP, and I've spent about an hour now wanting to flush another Arturia product down the toilet.
Metatarsals
Oh, I fixed it, instantly after typing that. Had to force it into Bootloader mode (Hold Play+Stop when powering on).

Looks like it'll be staying, at least for now!
D_Bowman
Can anyone tell me if there are legato retrigger modes on the keystep (for playing from the keyboard) through CV? Or is there a new gate for each key press regardless of whether you play legato or not?
flo
Hmmmm... You definitely can program legato notes (that don't retrigger the gate output) in the sequencer, SH101 style... I'm not sure whether there's a setting for legato manual playing, though. Will have to check later, or maybe someone else can chime in... Didn't find anything quickly scanning the manual (in the CV/gate options of the midi control center)...
slicetwo
I'm interested in the keystep, but I'm curious as to if I can use the knobs as CC controllers. I don't need a bunch of knobs, but having 1 or 2 that I could assign real quick to my DAW when I want to automate a parameter would be great.
nostalghia
slicetwo wrote:
I'm interested in the keystep, but I'm curious as to if I can use the knobs as CC controllers. I don't need a bunch of knobs, but having 1 or 2 that I could assign real quick to my DAW when I want to automate a parameter would be great.

No, the knobs cannot send Midi CC data. Their only functions are for the sequencer/arpeggiator.
However, the Mod strip ("mod wheel" ribbon) can be re-assigned with the Arturia Midi Control Center app to send any CC# (not limited to just mod wheel CC). You can also set the Midi channel for it-can be different from the keyboard channel.
And the sustain pedal (not included with the Keystep) can also be set to different CC messages (switching type CCs anyway, so not useful for any "continuous" control types).
slicetwo
nostalghia wrote:
No, the knobs cannot send Midi CC data. Their only functions are for the sequencer/arpeggiator.
However, the Mod strip ("mod wheel" ribbon) can be re-assigned with the Arturia Midi Control Center app to send any CC# (not limited to just mod wheel CC). You can also set the Midi channel for it-can be different from the keyboard channel.
And the sustain pedal (not included with the Keystep) can also be set to different CC messages (switching type CCs anyway, so not useful for any "continuous" control types).

Gotcha. Ok. Seems like this won't be for me, then. I want at least 2-4 knobs that I can just easily assign when necessary.
nostalghia
slicetwo wrote:
nostalghia wrote:

Gotcha. Ok. Seems like this won't be for me, then. I want at least 2-4 knobs that I can just easily assign when necessary.

Arturia Minilab then. Or add the Behringer X-Touch Mini. 8 knobs transmit midi cc#s, preset or assignable. $60.
slicetwo
nostalghia wrote:

Arturia Minilab then. Or add the Behringer X-Touch Mini. 8 knobs transmit midi cc#s, preset or assignable. $60.

I need a MIDI DIN output for my MIDI Hub, so that won't work. Trying to find more info on the MIDIPlus X3. Looks dope, but no one seems to know anything about the quality.
Funkydroid
Just wondering can it take clock from DAW via usb and send it to modular, so that when i push play on daw, modular will run? Clock as in trigger on every beat.
chrisdermo
Funkydroid wrote:
Just wondering can it take clock from DAW via usb and send it to modular, so that when i push play on daw, modular will run? Clock as in trigger on every beat.

I think it should. I use a midi out on my interface to send midi clock into the keystep, then clock out to meng qi voltage memory sequencer. However the clock out didn't work with my double knot when I had it...... but the gate out did work to clock the double knot. Just meant I had to have the keystep on arp mode with an arp playing the whole time.
Funkydroid
chrisdermo wrote:
Funkydroid wrote:

I think it should. I use a midi out on my interface to send midi clock into the keystep, then clock out to meng qi voltage memory sequencer. However the clock out didn't work with my double knot when I had it...... but the gate out did work to clock the double knot. Just meant I had to have the keystep on arp mode with an arp playing the whole time.

mhm..interesting
SteeVtheRipper
Just got one of these to go with my new laptop for playing on the go. I think it's great but I really wish they had included a few assignable encoders. There's nothing I hate more than playing a software instrument and having to use the mouse or trackpad to adjust parameters while playing. If they had included 4/5 encoders it would have been perfect. But still enjoying it for what it is.
slicetwo
SteeVtheRipper wrote:
Just got one of these to go with my new laptop for playing on the go. I think it's great but I really wish they had included a few assignable encoders. There's nothing I hate more than playing a software instrument and having to use the mouse or trackpad to adjust parameters while playing. If they had included 4/5 encoders it would have been perfect. But still enjoying it for what it is.

This is the only thing that's put me off from buying one. I want a more compact keyboard than my Remote SL, but I do need at least a few knobs.
col
SteeVtheRipper wrote:

yep, same. I guess thats the Keystep Pro.
NewNewRon
SteeVtheRipper wrote:
There's nothing I hate more than playing a software instrument and having to use the mouse or trackpad to adjust parameters while playing.

wink
Leverkusen
col wrote:
SteeVtheRipper wrote:

I thought that's the MiniLab:

col
Leverkusen wrote:
col wrote:
SteeVtheRipper wrote:

I thought that's the MiniLab:

rephrase: I guess a future version of the Keystep featuring both the arp/sequencer and additional encoders will be called the Keystep Pro.
Cashman
Can anyone enlighten me on the actual usefulness of the chord mode? Is it actually any use whatsoever if it doesn't transpose the note of the chord within a given scale? Forgive me if I'm missing something here. I'd buy this if it could do that.
weekdayworrier
Cashman wrote:
Can anyone enlighten me on the actual usefulness of the chord mode? Is it actually any use whatsoever if it doesn't transpose the note of the chord within a given scale? Forgive me if I'm missing something here. I'd buy this if it could do that.

If you mean, does chord mode move chords around diatonically (e.g., in c major it plays a cmaj triad, dmin triad, emin triad, fmaj triad etc), no, it doesn't. If you play a major triad in root position in chord mode, it will just transpose the major triad around based on whatever new root notes you play.
Cashman
weekdayworrier wrote:
Cashman wrote:

If you mean, does chord mode move chords around diatonically (e.g., in c major it plays a cmaj triad, dmin triad, emin triad, fmaj triad etc), no, it doesn't. If you play a major triad in root position in chord mode, it will just transpose the major triad around based on whatever new root notes you play.

That's what I thought. So what use is it if it's totally unmusical?
Annwn
Cashman wrote:
weekdayworrier wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Because it creates instant "jazz" chords for house music without having to know what you're actually doing. hihi
Jumbuktu
Cashman wrote:

Well, it's not 'totally unmusical'. Listen to all those songs made in the 1980s with chromatic chord riffs. If you are a jazz pianist, you can just play CM7 / DbM7 / DM7 / EbM7 without thinking ... but many of us can't. This is a function that was made available on old synth keyboards like the Korg Poly6. It's also a staple on samplers, since you can just sample a chord and play it chromatically.

Do you really need a built-in chord function to be able to play chords diatonically?
floater
Side note of the keystep subject

This new Beatstep roller feature has always been possible on the keystep if you are in arp mode just use the time division knob like you would the roller strip
jules
This little thing is fantastic.
The slew problem is annoying, but not critical for most applications, and miles away from the trouble caused by the buzz on the Qnexus (made it useless for me).
Arp and seq facilities are perfect and simple.
Being able to trigger midi and CV at the time has never been so simple and make it a joy to play.
Now make one with the slew problem sorted, 2 sets of CV outs (including another modulation CV out to access aftertouch and the mod wheel independently) with a "detune" knob for each set, and I'll buy a truck load of them.
weekdayworrier
jules wrote:
2 sets of CV outs (including another modulation CV out to access aftertouch and the mod wheel independently)

Yep, I keep finding myself wanting this when I use my keystep, for sure.
Jason Brock
jules wrote:
This little thing is fantastic.
The slew problem is annoying, but not critical for most applications

Hmm, I hadn't heard about this so I Googled it. Now that I know, I can barely hear it in certain circumstances, like jumping up two octaves - on mine it's like the pitch goes slightly higher than the note and then corrects very quickly. But I agree with you under typical operation it isn't noticeable. Do you have any audio that demonstrates the slew problem?
lava
Quick question:

Can the Keystep ingest MIDI CCs (say, from a desktop synth's knobs) at its MIDI in port and send them to a computer over USB? The manual is not explicitly clear on this.
metasonix
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyStep
"Available Soon
Reserve yours now, risk-free, or contact us for more information. We'll ship it as soon as it's available. "

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/arturia-keystep-controll er-sequencer?rNtt=arturia%20keystep&index=2
"In Stock & Ready To Ship"

https://www.amazon.com/Arturia-430201-KeyStep/dp/B01BPSBU40
"Only 10 left in stock - order soon."

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/arturia-keystep.html
"Availability: In stock"

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AUA-KEYSTEP
"In Stock! Order now, ships next business day!"

http://www.detroitmodular.com/arturia-keystep.html

And it's not listed by Analogue Haven, Big City Music, Schneider, CTRL or several other modular specialists. So is it available/usable or not?

(I'm most interested in it because it claims to put out Hz/v CV. Which would be usable with our oscillator products.)
CalvaryBand
metasonix wrote:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyStep
"Available Soon
Reserve yours now, risk-free, or contact us for more information. We'll ship it as soon as it's available. "

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/arturia-keystep-controll er-sequencer?rNtt=arturia%20keystep&index=2
"In Stock & Ready To Ship"

https://www.amazon.com/Arturia-430201-KeyStep/dp/B01BPSBU40
"Only 10 left in stock - order soon."

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/arturia-keystep.html

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AUA-KEYSTEP
"In Stock! Order now, ships next business day!"

http://www.detroitmodular.com/arturia-keystep.html

And it's not listed by Analogue Haven, Big City Music, Schneider, CTRL or several other modular specialists. So is it available/usable or not?

(I'm most interested in it because it claims to put out Hz/v CV. Which would be usable with our oscillator products.)

Quite usable/available. I have used the Keystep to control a MS-20 sporting Hz/v with great success.
jonatron
After spending a good deal of time trying to get this question answered here and on arturia's forum:

Is it possible to send both a clock signal AND gate/cv from a DAW simultaneously? I spent a good bit of time trying and seemingly could only send one or the other. The closest I got to sending gate and CV with the clock was using the arpeggiator... which literally arpeggiated the gate/cv output coming from my DAW. If anyone knows how to achieve sending clock PLUS gate/cv from DAW/USB, I'd love to know how...
CalvaryBand
jonatron wrote:
After spending a good deal of time trying to get this question answered here and on arturia's forum:

Is it possible to send both a clock signal AND gate/cv from a DAW simultaneously? I spent a good bit of time trying and seemingly could only send one or the other. The closest I got to sending gate and CV with the clock was using the arpeggiator... which literally arpeggiated the gate/cv output coming from my DAW. If anyone knows how to achieve sending clock PLUS gate/cv from DAW/USB, I'd love to know how...

Have you tried the sync out jack from the Keystep? You can customize the type of signal coming from this jack in the Keystep's software (I used 48PPQ for my LinnDrum but there are many sync division types supported).
jonatron
CalvaryBand wrote:

Have you tried the sync out jack from the Keystep? You can customize the type of signal coming from this jack in the Keystep's software (I used 48PPQ for my LinnDrum but there are many sync division types supported).

Yeah. I'm using the sync out, cv and gate jacks simultaneously. I'm trying to send a MIDI sequence PLUS sync from my DAW, at the same time. the keystep only seems to output one or the other - or I can send an arpeggiated version of my MIDI sequence along with the sync.

What I want to do is output the raw cv/gate from the MIDI sequence in my DAW along with sync from that same project. I would have thought this would be simple, maybe I'm just missing something obvious.
z3r01
Anyone experiencing dead keys on the Keystep? Mine has about 5-6 dead keys. Started with 1-2 keys with intermittent response issues, and was away for a bit and now, about 6 keys are either dead, or are a little dodgy in response.

The Keystep is out of warranty, and was wondering if there might be a way to fix it myself? Thanks in advance!
hawkfuzz
I have a one myself. The very last key. Started randomly and I also can't use he cv/gate/mod outs unless all of them are hooked up to something. Otherwise the pitch doesn't put out any pitch.

I like this keyboard but I think I'd be better off getting a midi controller and a midi module. I want more keys.
coaster0
I want a pro version with knobs. This would be perfect I think.
Blackblacky
Does anyone know if it is possible to sync the seq (or arp) to clock in (external) but still use the clock out from the key step ? (without midi, by using the the minijack clock in/out) hmmm.....
3pand
Blackblacky wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to sync the seq (or arp) to clock in (external) but still use the clock out from the key step ? (without midi, by using the the minijack clock in/out) hmmm.....

Just tried it and it works. It seems to just pass the same clock signal it is receiving and it’s not affected by any of the rate or speed settings. Also stays constant regardless of arp playing or not.
sloth713
Without a doubt the star of this NAMM (2018) was the keystep, most of the NAMM videos I watched it was used as a controller. So kudos to Autria for making such an useful, accessible, and inexpensive controller
luketeaford
sloth713 wrote:
So kudos to Autria for making such an useful, accessible, and inexpensive controller

Excellent -- I ordered one just a few days before NAMM and I'm looking forward to it. I will probably use it more with my laptop than the modular.
MvK
The manual says that the midi input is merged with the internal data of the keystep and sent to the midi output. Is the merged data also sent to the usb midi out?

I need a keyboard like this but have to integrate it with the octatrack and the shuttle control. SC only has usb inputs, so right now I need a bulky din midi to usb cable to connect the octatrack to the SC.

so the configuration would be

Octatrack Midi out -> Midi in Keystep usb out -> Shuttle control

Next step would be to connect the midi out of the keystep to the midi input of the octatrack to be able to play and record the octatracks audio and midi tracks.
That would introduce a midi loop but looking at the octas midisettings it could be possible. Rewiring the midiconnections is not possible because I mainy play live.
weekdayworrier
luketeaford wrote:
sloth713 wrote:
So kudos to Autria for making such an useful, accessible, and inexpensive controller

Excellent -- I ordered one just a few days before NAMM and I'm looking forward to it. I will probably use it more with my laptop than the modular.

Yeah, I bought it thinking I'd mostly use it with my modular, but, in fact, I've been using it for live gigs with two bands, controlling my DSI Tetra. I can drop both the Tetra and the Keystep on top of my Nord Electro, and no need for a second tier on my keyboard stand. The Keystep has 5-pin midi in and out, and it's actually kind of awesome to have aftertouch in something so cheap and light.
colourloss
jonatron wrote:
What I want to do is output the raw cv/gate from the MIDI sequence in my DAW along with sync from that same project. I would have thought this would be simple, maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem.
orangehexagon
Is anyone else wigged out that the keyboard starts on F and not C like every other keyboard (at least every other keyboard I've ever used).

It's bothering me more than I thought it would sad banana
bitflip
orangehexagon wrote:
Is anyone else wigged out that the keyboard starts on F and not C like every other keyboard (at least every other keyboard I've ever used).

Yeah, it's a bit weird... Though the JX-10 starts on E (and ends on G!), it's much less noticeable with 76 keys.

My main complaint is that when i'm playing down low, my pinky sometimes touches the mod strip, and in some situations the consequences are disastrous. Dead Banana
rowsbywoof
orangehexagon wrote:

I just center on middle C and work from there. I am constantly reaching for the octave buttons, too, but I've never once even given the starting key any thought. I guess moving from a traditional piano to keyboards, it never feels right, anyway, so I just approach it like I would sitting at a piano and play from the center of the Keystep.
Rafi
After scouring the interwebs for a black limited edition keystep with no luck, I randomly found one in MINT condition on craigslist for $60!!

Can anyone verify how many units approx Arturia built in black?
vdyankov
Is there a way to use both Blofeld Keys and Keystep and play both at the same time ?
bonso
Can anyone comment on how solid/tight the MIDI sync is when clocked via USB from a DAW? (Cubase in my studio)

Someone mentioned sync was solid when clocked in this manner earlier in the thread, but I'd appreciate hearing of others experience.

I know it has proper DIN MIDI ports which would be optimal but I've run out of MIDI ports on my trusty old Midex 8 and I would also like it to be portable so I can place it far away from the rack of despair.

The MIDI sync of the AKAI MPK mini Mk2 I'm currently using to fill this role is definitely not "solid" to say the least.
InteBra
It seems to be should out everywhere. Is there a new version on the horizon? Thomann have changed the availability date several times. Now it's like by the end of april.
TheDegenerateElite
It's been out for quite a bit now, it's just that many retailers have trouble keeping it in stock.
Yodhan
Seems like every shop near me has both colors these days
1n
I bought a Keystep the other week.

Despite following instructions, I can't get chord mode to work. Also, it seems a bit glitchy in both seq and arp modes - kind of thinks about it and then starts to follow the key instructions. I've got the sync switches in the right place, I think.

All suggestions welcome.

(My ability to use tech generally exceeds my ability to describe it.)
InteBra
Wierd. Thomann changed availability from end of april to mid-june.
CTVDR
Is it possible to record for example an 8 note sequencer and then record notes on top of it? Like building chords/putting melodies on top, note by note?
davemoog
I found this video very useful for understanding the Keystep/

https://youtu.be/ElcD2rGi8Tg
CTVDR
davemoog wrote:
I found this video very useful for understanding the Keystep/

https://youtu.be/ElcD2rGi8Tg

Yes, very inspiring and helpful smile. But he just switches the notes out rather than building on top, isn't he?
Crazydood69000
I have a keystep right now was looking into getting a 2hp midi module but wasn't sure if you could send midi out through the keystep via usb if its set to internal clock. Does anyone know if you can send midi through usb on the keystep? If so, could you hypothetically send that information to work with the 2hp midi module? seriously, i just don't get it
hawkfuzz
Check the manual, but pretty sure that'll work.
ggillon
1n wrote:
I bought a Keystep the other week.

Despite following instructions, I can't get chord mode to work. Also, it seems a bit glitchy in both seq and arp modes - kind of thinks about it and then starts to follow the key instructions. I've got the sync switches in the right place, I think.

All suggestions welcome.

(My ability to use tech generally exceeds my ability to describe it.)

In case you are still looking for answers, this might sound like a dumb question, but what synth are you sequencing trying to get chords? Because if it doesn't have polyphony, it WILL sound glitchy
bonso
CTVDR wrote:
Is it possible to record for example an 8 note sequencer and then record notes on top of it? Like building chords/putting melodies on top, note by note?

No, any input overwrites the current step rather than adding to it.
You can switch to 'Kbd Play' mode and add notes over the top of an existing sequence as it plays back but those notes won't be recorded by the internal sequencer.
Isaiah
My Keystep arrived recently but I haven’t had much chance to explore it yet.

Is there an easy way to completely erase sequences in such a way that the step length is erased as well as the note information?
ianbortolotti
I find the way the sequencer transposes really weird. Say, if I record a sequence starting in D and try to transpose it to a sequence starting in E by pressing E, I get a sequence that starts in F#, if I press D again, the sequence doesn't transpose to D, but rather to E!

I understand the reference is always C. To get it to work the way I want, I need to record all my sequences starting in C, but that is really annoying.

My Microbrute sequencer works the way I expect it to. It transposes in relation to the way I played it while recording. Is there any way to get Keystep to behave like this?
operator808
Help? Is there a way to save a sequence I've just created onto the Keystep's on-board memory without syncing it to my computer and using the MIDI control center??

xx
lohacker
operator808 wrote:
Help? Is there a way to save a sequence I've just created onto the Keystep's on-board memory without syncing it to my computer and using the MIDI control center??

xx

8 sequences are stored in the 8 slots selectable with the first encoder (Seq/Arp mode).
operator808
Sure. Is there a way to over-write them? I've just entered in a new sequence that I'd like to save to the Keystep's on-board memory but don't know how to go about it.

xx
lohacker
operator808 wrote:
Sure. Is there a way to over-write them? I've just entered in a new sequence that I'd like to save to the Keystep's on-board memory but don't know how to go about it.

xx

afaik it's already saved, just press stop and play a new one to overwrite it
_lampshade_
Considering buying a keystep but maybe they are about to premier a new one at namm... any thoughts? Should I just go ahead or wait it out?
timeforest
does anyone have any ideas why the pitch cv on my keystep is two (or more) octaves too high when connecting to eurorack oscillators? and potentially how to correct it?
nrrrd
timeforest wrote:
does anyone have any ideas why the pitch cv on my keystep is two (or more) octaves too high when connecting to eurorack oscillators? and potentially how to correct it?

If it's like the Beatstep Pro you have to use the MIDI control centre software to set the "root note" - i.e. the lowest note possible.
I think the default is C2, and I had to set it to C0.
You can also set the voltage offset for CV.
timeforest
nrrrd wrote:
timeforest wrote:

If it's like the Beatstep Pro you have to use the MIDI control centre software to set the "root note" - i.e. the lowest note possible.
I think the default is C2, and I had to set it to C0.
You can also set the voltage offset for CV.

im in the midi centre and changed the "transpose center pitch" to C0 in "sequence settings" and its at c-2 in cv/gate settings but it still is very pitched up when i plug in the pitch out to an oscillator. is there something else i should be doing?
Red Electric Rainbow
l hated it. l bought a few weeks ago and had to downgrade the firmware to a previous version for it to work correctly for me with my hardware. What the fuck, right? lf it wasn’t so cold out that day l would’ve gone outside and smashed it against a dumpster.....legit that pissed....and lm not an angry person.
timeforest
is this pitching octaves up with pitch cv a defect in my unit? changing it in the midi station does nothing that i can discern
charonme
maybe you have to "sync" or "upload" the setting into the keystep? What did you select as the "0V MIDI NOTE" option?

there's also this thread: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=82696.0

also see 10.9.4.3 MIDI Note reference in the manual
http://downloads.arturia.com/products/keystep/manual/KeyStep_Manual_1_ 0_0_EN.pdf
timeforest
edit fixed in midi station very frustrating
Technologear?
Just adding my positive experience to this thread:
- setup once via arturias software and I have had all functions working as they should and as I prefer
- love the dip switches on the back to select clock source, good spot for that.
- the BEST thing for me: record a chord in Chord mode. Play back a Sequence and the single notes will play back chords. Plus you can transpose the sequence live using the keyboard.
Great for simple polyphonic synth stabs in classic techno.

Way more fun and powerful than what I bought it for initially.
Shledge
Planning to build a case that integrates the keystep, aiming for 104hp.

How much HP would a keystep take up? Wondering because I plan to make a little "side panel" for small performance modules right beside the keystep - precision adders and such.
col
The keystep is: 485mm x 146mm x 55mm (including the knobs).

Edit: add 4mm for the rubber feet.
Mashmore
Just wanted to share in case anyone else missed the firmware update that was released in July.

Its a big one IMO, mainly for the fact that they finally gave you the option to clock externally and not have the arp start automatically. nanners applause

https://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manuals
cake100
Someone said on the other site that there is a CV trigger bug if I recall correctly since they installed this new firmware.
Datum
The arp/seq not starting automatically is when I run the external clock is huge! Thank you Arturia for listening to our cries for help! SlayerBadger!
Mashmore
Datum wrote:
The arp/seq not starting automatically is when I run the external clock is huge! Thank you Arturia for listening to our cries for help! SlayerBadger!

I couldn't agree more! It only took a couple of years lol. They can code Moog clones and all kinds of stuff but could't take the time fix a run/stop error on ground level...Either way its a huge. we're not worthy

I haven't noticed that trigger bug yet(crosses fingers)
Thanks for sharing, If I experience that or anything else I'll report back.
synthi
cake100 wrote:
Someone said on the other site that there is a CV trigger bug if I recall correctly since they installed this new firmware.

Whats the other site??? sad banana
Fallen_lassen
The dark site Miley Cyrus
cake100
synthi wrote:
cake100 wrote:

Whats the other site??? sad banana

Begins with G and ends with earslutz
Bignorthumbrian
Delete, found the answer...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 14