MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Expander available] "Anushri" PCB's with eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author [Expander available] "Anushri" PCB's with eurorack
skookum
Expander PCB and panel available again. Get yours today!
CLICK HERE TO ORDER. w00t

skookumsynth.com/anex for more info and BOM.

FIRST RUN OF PANELS & KNOBS SOLD OUT. PCB's AVAILABLE AT MODULAR ADDICT.
If you're interested in a panel still, let me know for the future.

A couple of times I've had requests to build the Mutable Instruments “Anushri” but I've never been able to find PCBs to buy.
After checking kosherness with Olivier I am going to do a run of boards, keeping what I think I might need now and in the future and then sell the remainder.

PCBs: $40
Panel: $60 (preliminary)
Knobs: $25
Shipping: at cost, location dependant, TBD.

This is an interest check to see if anyone around here is interested in a set of boards. The size of the pcb run will depend partially on interest.
I am not looking for anything up front, other than serious interest only. A list will be made and when manufactured and shipped, they can be paid for. They are a couple of fairly big boards and I expect a small run, so estimate about $40-50 for the set of two.

The boards will have some substitutions and modifications, such as “thonkiconn” jacks, D6R buttons, easier to source toggles and a slightly modified euro power section. This is done to better match my stock of parts and an updated BOM will be provided.

It will be sold and supported by me, nothing to do with Mutable Instruments except the licensing. They will be rebranded appropriately to reflect this.

If there’s enough interest I may offer eurorack aluminum front panels as well. I would like some for myself, but they will be expensive in the low quantity I'm expecting (~$60) so it’ll only go ahead if enough people express interest. Absolute minimum 10 peeps. The panel would not be compatible with MI’s original release, and have my own design on it.
If interest in this panel is sufficient I can offer SIFAM “intelljel” style knobs to go with it as well.

In short, if you'd like to buy a set of “Anushri” PCBs and/or a front panel to build a kick ass little box or module, express your serious interest. The PCB’s are going ahead either way, panel/knobs is interest dependent.

ADDENDUM: There is apparently demand for eurorack panels compatible with MI's original release. If you're interested in just a panel, note your interest. Same conditions as above.

edit: Files are on github as per license.

https://github.com/skookumsynth/anookum
Altitude909
I'd like to see your layout for alternate jacks, I looked at this way back and there wasn't a way to change those while keeping the layout the same for the panel and enclosure. I suppose if you plan on doing your own panels and enclosures that's fine though..
skookum
Yes of course! I learned lesson in copy-pasting old thread drafts.
The jacks do have a slightly wider spacing and as such it differs from original pcb's.
LudfisterSound
I've been interested in doing this myself for a while now... So I'm interested in at least a PCB set probably a euro panel as well.
Barcode
Updated to add an interest for PCB, Panel, and Knobs.

+1 On different jacks.... Make it so the kobiconns or thonks will fit please!!!!

Put me down for a full set. I miss my Anushri.....
TripJ
I'm seriously interested in PCBs. Maybe even a pair of sets.
gwash
I'd be in for a eurorack panel and knobs
skookum
Quote:
+1 On different jacks.... Make it so the kobiconns or thonks will fit please!!!!

Put me down for a set of PCB's. I miss my Anushri.....

I believe the Kobiconns fit in a thonkiconn footprint. With a bit of clipping to the legs and the manual ground wire it should work I think. Feel free to correct me here, I don't have any Kobis on hand.

Quote:
I'd be in for a eurorack panel and knobs

I'm very happy you're interested, but unfortunately the panel is only compatible with these PCB's, it will not work with MI's original release.
euromorcego
skookum wrote:

..., but unfortunately the panel is only compatible with these PCB's, it will not work with MI's original release.

that is unfortunate. I'd also be interested in a panel, but only if it fits the original pcb (still have an acrylic Anushri that wants to be converted).

edit: still interested in eurorack panel for original pcb (a bit depending on price, so a few people should sign up)
fluffymuff
there is a thread on the Mutable Instruments forum about this exact subject so you might want to post on there as there is already a waiting list of 25 people wanting this (including me!)

http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/5261/anushri-euro-pane l-waiting-list/p1
skookum
Well, maybe it is time to fulfill a pent up demand?
Editing original thread.
yan6
Interested in a PCB if a panel becomes available
oberkorn
interested in boards and knobs
maybe also panel depending on design
SMonk
I'm interested in a eurorack panel for the MI original PCB design. Maybe even two.
herrprof
+1 for the ori. panel, especially if the price comes down.
synchromesh
I would be interested in a PCB set and matching panel. Thanks for doing this! thumbs up

EDIT: And knobs as well, why not!?
frozenkore
I'm interested in a eurorack panel and pcb.
skookum
Thanks for your interests, getting closer to the numbers!
Crashlander42
Interested in a PCB+Panel
4floorsofwhores
Definitely 1 board and panel please
edit: knobs too
synthdude
Im in for pcbs/panel/knobs.
Useful Noise
Interested in a PCB Knobs and Panel.
audiohawk
Count me in for 1 set of PCBs and panel.
Maybe knobs...
Thank you for your work we're not worthy
shredsickgnar
I'd be interested in PCB, Knobs, and Panel.
skookum
Ok, excellent! There is enough interest to make a PCB/panel/knob combo feasible. w00t

I'm about to send off for a proto of the new boards (so I can find out what mistakes I've made).
While waiting, the panel design should be finalized. If the PCB's come back OK I will be working on getting the panels sorted from the local shop.
pokeyasd
Will the new PCB design be compatible with the original acryl case? If yes, then I'm in for a PCB set.
nat601
I would be interested in boards / panel / knobs too smile
skookum
pokeyasd wrote:
Will the new PCB design be compatible with the original acryl case? If yes, then I'm in for a PCB set.

Unfortunately it is not, the spacing on the jacks is slightly wider, so without modification to the case it would not fit properly.
teknobryan
Interested in eurorack front plate and knobs
nangu
I'd like 2 MI-compatible euro panels.

Thanks!!
skookum

The protoboards are in. Between work and two kids I'll somehow find time to assemble it and confirm it's all in order!
Altitude909
Well done with the buttons. The eswtich tact and C&K cap combo has to go, those two parts are not made to fit each other. Going to a different part was the right thing to do
maccadelic
I have 2 sets of anushri PCB's sitting in a box. I made one, works perfectly. Willing to trade then for any other eurorack pcb. Preferable filters/effects.

EDIT: sry, just realized that's pretty rude saying this in your post. I just want a good home for them, otherwise they will keep collecting dust
sumdumguy
I'm in, boards, eurorack panel and knobs. Add me to the list please. thanks
LudfisterSound
Will the new Eurorack panel have MIDI I/O? I'm sooooo excited for this!
Altitude909
Think it would be cool to have "stealth" midi, meaning TRS to DIN cables and 3.5mm TRS jacks on the panel
LudfisterSound
Altitude909 wrote:
Think it would be cool to have "stealth" midi, meaning TRS to DIN cables and 3.5mm TRS jacks on the panel

That would be awesome! Especially since DIN to TRS cables are somewhat available now thanks to Arturia, if you don't feel like building your own.
sammy123
Id like a set of the modified boards.
skookum
Altitude909 wrote:

That's an interesting idea, to shrink the expander to 2HP?

edit: Preliminary panel, I want to keep it simple and legible, because there's some pretty fine text in spots.

Rowan
I would be interested in a Eurorack panel for the original MI PCB.
oberkorn
thumbs up for the panel and also the idea of bringing MIDI out to jacks thumbs up
Altitude909
Looks like you should be able to fit 2 more jacks on the panel as is without an expander at all
fluffymuff
Panel looks great, i'm definitley in! applause
atte
What price are we talking? Might be interested in a pcb and euro rack panel...
audiohawk
Panel looking good! Thank you for the update.
LudfisterSound
Altitude909 wrote:
Looks like you should be able to fit 2 more jacks on the panel as is without an expander at all

+1 I don't see any reason to use a separate expander panel. I always thought that was a bit weird on the original.
skookum
Indeed, I'm going to give it a try and I hope it can be accommodated without looking too out of place.
skookum
atte wrote:
What price are we talking? Might be interested in a pcb and euro rack panel...

Pcb set is $40
Panel is $60 (preliminary until finalized, but I don't expect it to change much)
Knob set around $25

Shipping is at cost, location dependant and TBD
PK808370
Hi, skookum,

I'm in for the full set: pcb, panel, and knobs. The panel looks great!
stimresp
Hi skookum,

I love my Anushri and would like to cloth it in your lovely panel and a new set of knobs.

Please mark me down for both!
skookum
So here is an attempt at shoehorning in TRS midi jacks.

By shifting the PCB over to the left, it is possible to fit two wired jacks on the right hand side. Feels a bit lopsided to me. Comments?

herrprof
Maybe drop them to be even with Audio and VCA drums?
alain6870
You should write on the panel that this jacks are stereo ones to avoid any short for the end user... hmmm.....
skookum
Quote:
Maybe drop them to be even with Audio and VCA drums?

That was my initial thought, but I found it put too much of a squeeze on the text.

Quote:
You should write on the panel that this jacks are stereo ones to avoid any short for the end user... hmmm.....

That is a very good point.
LudfisterSound
Will a programmed MCU be available for this as well?
LudfisterSound
Looks like there could be a lot of room under the buttons and jacks if the PCB was moved up slightly. Might even be able to work them onto the control board, the pic of your PCB makes it look like there could be room there.
Rowan
Could I put my name down for 1 X MI panel
smithoid
Hi
Is there any chance I could buy just the controller board? I have already sourced and built the main synth board with the intention of doing custom panel mounted pots, but suddenly the job seems too much hassle.
Cheers
Paul
eclectics
I'm interested in a set of pcbs, knobs and panel, thanks.
sammy123
It does seem a bit lopsided with the midi jacks on the right, but i can't think of a better idea. At least they are out of the way there.
Altitude909
Honestly, the more I look at it, the less it bothers me. If you wanted to go crazy, you could mod the CS PCB and add jacks between volume and audio in
skookum
Quote:
Will a programmed MCU be available for this as well?

At this point I am not planning on producing programmed MCU's, however that may change. Still not sure if I want to do that.

Quote:
Looks like there could be a lot of room under the buttons and jacks if the PCB was moved up slightly. Might even be able to work them onto the control board, the pic of your PCB makes it look like there could be room there.

That is possible, and the Thonkiconn jacks can sit very tight together.
Currently one of the headers are relocated to sit on the edge of the board, below the jacks. Relocating them again would require another round of rerouting for the top and bottom and another proto made. It's not really something I relish getting into at this point.

Quote:
Hi
Is there any chance I could buy just the controller board? I have already sourced and built the main synth board with the intention of doing custom panel mounted pots, but suddenly the job seems too much hassle.
Cheers
Paul

Certainly, but be aware that some of the headers connecting the two boards have been relocated to make room for the changed jacks and switches, so these would need to be wired.

Quote:
Honestly, the more I look at it, the less it bothers me. If you wanted to go crazy, you could mod the CS PCB and add jacks between volume and audio in

Yes I'm trying to keep this off the boards. With a half-stuffed proto PCB I'm not too keen on making changes to the boards unless I made a mistake on this one. If I did, which is not outside the realm of possibility, then I will take another look at incorporating it directly into the control PCB.
alain6870
Your panel is definitivly great! I would let the midi connection out. It is still possible to add them on a 1U panel with other stuff beside.

Count me in for panel and pcb.
ArtGarfunkadelic
I'll be getting in way over my head with this, but I'll take a pcb, panel, and knob set.
4floorsofwhores
Definitely 1 pcb please. plus panel if that happens
spotta
There was a chap on the MI forum who modded his so the fuzz was a pot rather than a switch. When I had my Anushri I always thought that was a mod worth doing, might be worth incorporating.
skookum
spotta wrote:
There was a chap on the MI forum who modded his so the fuzz was a pot rather than a switch. When I had my Anushri I always thought that was a mod worth doing, might be worth incorporating.

That's interesting, I'm going to look for the thread.

Update: I'm waiting for some parts to arrive to finish the control-board and program the MCU.
Coconuts
I'd be interested in a pcb/panel set but not one without the other
m0d01
I'm interested in one of everything.

Serious and committed.

If it's not too late, that is...

N
skookum
Coconuts wrote:
I'd be interested in a pcb/panel set but not one without the other

The PCB's and panel are both going ahead, barring unforeseen consequences. So I'll mark you down!

Quote:
I'm interested in one of everything.

Serious and committed.

If it's not too late, that is...

N

Not at all! This is the first time I am going through this kind if sourcing, so I am taking it slow. And I will be getting a few extras too, so it won't really "close" at any point.
dksynth
Panel and PCB for me. On a mission to build everything MI ever released smile
Hkg_phooey
Please mark me down for 1 set of pcbs + panel. Thanks.
Altitude909
If you're still considering 3.5mm to midi, I recommend these:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/253/KC-300830-202687.pdf

I use them in my Monotribe and Volca midi kits
skookum
Altitude909 wrote:
If you're still considering 3.5mm to midi, I recommend these:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/253/KC-300830-202687.pdf

I use them in my Monotribe and Volca midi kits

Those look perfect, thanks for the tip.
skookum
Well it all seems to work, bar a minor cock-up on one of the boards (that is why we prototype). I just gotta do a bit more testing to make sure its all good then I will order the PCB's and move on to the panels.

Thank you for your patience!
skookum
Ho-kay, I have sent out the panels for final pricing, sent an RFQ for the knobs and the PCB's will be manufactured.

I have decided to go with an expander panel, but I want to break out a few more outputs into it, so it will be separate and forthcoming.
PK808370
Sweet Bejeezus! Definitely excited to hear of the progress.

It is the midi inputs that will now be on a separate expander panel and not as TRS jacks on the main panel, correct? (no opinion, just clarifying)
skookum
PK808370 wrote:

It is the midi inputs that will now be on a separate expander panel and not as TRS jacks on the main panel, correct? (no opinion, just clarifying)

Yes, that is correct.
Opnotic
In for 1 panel/knobs/PCB set. The panel aesthetic looks good. Nice job.
BTS
This looks really cool, I am definitely interested.

Can I get 1 panel, 1 PCB Set and 1 Set of knobs, please?
LudfisterSound
Put me down for an expansion panel then too.
PK808370
Please add the expansion panel to my full-set request too. Thanks!
skookum
I will be offering the expander basically at cost, and if the delayed expander is a deal breaker for anyone, just let me know.

It was mostly a decision to keep the board and panel edits to a minimum, reducing the risk for errors.
PrtScn
Definitely interested in a pcb, panel, and knobs!
PK808370
skookum wrote:
I will be offering the expander basically at cost, and if the delayed expander is a deal breaker for anyone, just let me know.

It was mostly a decision to keep the board and panel edits to a minimum, reducing the risk for errors.

It's definitely not a deal breaker. I'm still in for the set, including the breakout when it's ready. smile
skookum
PK808370 wrote:

It's definitely not a deal breaker. I'm still in for the set, including the breakout when it's ready. smile

I'm happy to hear it! thumbs up

Thats it for panels in this run of 25! I would love to wait for more interest but it needs to move forward.

If you'd like to be on a list in case of anyone backing out or another run, please just post and let me know.

PCB's/knobs available still.
BTS
If you do a second run of expander panels, I'd be in.
skookum
BTS wrote:
If you do a second run of expander panels, I'd be in.

There will be an expander available at cost for everyone who has ordered a panel.
sicpaul
Hope it is not too late to declare my wish of 1 pcb set hihi
skookum
sicpaul wrote:
Hope it is not too late to declare my wish of 1 pcb set hihi

Not at all! Do you want some knobs too? I have knobs. Did I mention knobs? Knobs.

sammy123
Woah. Knobs!!
skookum
12lbs of PCB's are on their way hyper

LudfisterSound
Get out your wallets!

Any news on panels?
sumdumguy
oops. my reading skills are bad. i see that i am already on the list,.interested in a panel and expander panel should there be a next run. looks like i forgot that bit. thanks eric.
yan6
If there is enough room i will bump up to two full kits
dksynth
mmmm knobs. I'll add a set of knobs to my panel and PCB, if possible smile
oberkorn
yes knobs for me (and panel also) thumbs up
synchromesh
yan6 wrote:
If there is enough room i will bump up to two full kits

I'm afraid I must reconsider my interest in this project, so if yan6 would like to take my place (I'm down for PCBs, panel & knobs) that would be fine with me. If I'm already committed that's fine too - I don't want to inconvenience anyone who already has 5kg of PCBs heading their way. This is fun!
skookum
Hello everyone, apologies for the delayed response. I've been away.
Knobs and panels are all spoken for, PCBs are still available. Pretty sure I got enough extras to meet every request up to the last couple of days. I will look over the thread tonight and make sure.

The panel supplier has been quite slow in communication, but i asked for a few extras. If that made it through or not I don't know. I expect response on Monday.

I had expected there would be some change of hearts, things change and that's alright. Just post in the thread if you've changed your mind and maybe someone else will want to pick it up.
skookum
Hello everyone, thank you for your patience. I am juggling his between full-time work and family.

Getting responses from the panel fab has been a true exercise in patience. They are slow. Cheapest price and a local business, but apparently use literal snails for communication.

I took a read from the beginning of the thread and noticed a couple of users edited their posts, and I apologize for missing that. I will update the original post to reflect that.

The minimum quantity to get a decent price from Selco is 500, so I ordered 500 thinking it would be enough. It works out to 23 sets. Currently there are 24 interested parties. This includes a couple of users combining it with a panel for the original MI pcbs. It will not be happening soon, so they may decided to change minds.

The PCB's arrived, and they look great. Except it still has the error from the proto. WTF? I checked the gerbers and they are fixed. I have literally no idea what the hell happened. Investigation continues.

If anyone is fine with a bit of manual wiring (16 wires, one of the headers are reversed (how does that even happen?)), the PCB's are half price.
But I hate wiring and I know many of you do too, so this shit has gotta get jiggered correctly.

While that gets worked out. What would you like to see on an expander board?
skookum
Ok, important lesson learned. I work in two separate locations and use software so syncronize the files between my two workstations. I created gerber files on one spot, but I was in another when I submitted it. Turns out the the sync had failed (for the first time since starting) and I overlooked the datestamps. Dead Banana

Anyway, new files have been submitted. If you are comfortable with some handwiring, its 50% off the boards.

Wrangling back and forth with the panel supplier, I suspect there may have been some initial confusion regarding the quote. So after discussion I am able to make the panels at the price quoted in the first post, except it will be silkscreen rather than metalphoto.
Everything is confirmed and I expect 2-3 weeks leadtime.
LudfisterSound
Assuming you have all the details about what needs to be wired, I'll take a messed up PCB when the panels are ready. I don't mind wiring as long as it works. I'll be the only one to ever see the back of the panel anyway.
yan6
I may not mind but would like to see how much is involved first
alain6870
I'm ok too for handwiring some points and cut some traces if necessary.
Please let us know the final price and delivery time for this revision.
skookum
I want to stress, you don't have to take a buggy board unless you really want to save a couple of $$.

I intend to keep using mine, it works great. It took me about 15 mins of stripping some wires and soldering it to the headers.

One of the headers got reversed during editing How does that even happen? I don't know, I tend to only be *semi*-drunk when working on PCBs. Anyway, below is the situation.

Quote:
Please let us know the final price and delivery time for this revision.

No changes in price. The panels came in slightly more than expected, but it all still works. They are in the queue at the shop and about 3 weeks away. As soon as I receive them, I can ship
mikecameron
is it possible to solve with a ribbon cable plugged into the back of each board, or is it more complicated than that?
skookum
mikecameron wrote:
is it possible to solve with a ribbon cable plugged into the back of each board, or is it more complicated than that?

Ribbon cable could work too, but they need to cross over each other.
Unless you do one from the top and the other from the bottom it would be tricky. Row 1 goes to row 2 above and vice versa.
This way you can still separate the boards if you need to. They'd still be physically connected, but you can get at solder points on the backs.
yan6
Thats not so bad, I will take two of the mistake pcb's if they are still being offered at 50%
skookum
They sure are!
masterofstuff124
how do you go about flashing this? avr the atmega?
skookum
I use a $5 USBtinyISP with AVRDude. I did have to make a small text file edit to get the program to accept the "PU" version of the MCU. But that is very easy. To flash it you just plug it in, run a couple of commands in a command line interface and you're done. It takes no time at all.
Opnotic
Hmm.. I just noticed the proposed panel doesn't give any name to the module (Anshuri or otherwise). I like minimal, certainly okay keeping as shown (prefer even), - but wonder if that was intentional?
skookum
I was thinking about what to put on the panel until very recently. Below is what is getting printed. The name is just a portmanteau of "Anushri" and "skookum".

[/img]
AzzyBear
Hello there, I would like to take one set of messed up pcbs and an expander whenever they are available.
alain6870
Hello,

I thought the panel shown on the first page was the final version! I see now that you added a name and a brand and, would like I panel without this mention. Should this not be possible, I would then only buy a pcb (first run with mistake is OK). Is this still possible to change m'y initial order ?
skookum
alain6870 wrote:
Hello,

I thought the panel shown on the first page was the final version! I see now that you added a name and a brand and, would like I panel without this mention. Should this not be possible, I would then only buy a pcb (first run with mistake is OK). Is this still possible to change m'y initial order ?

No problem! I'll edit the list when I get home. I thought for a while about it and decided it needed identification on the front. Partially so there is no confusion about origin.
skookum
First expander panel suggestion.

I've moved away from the 3.5 MIDI connector. It makes it less accessible for, in this case, no real benefit.

Due to the internal circuit levels of the Anushri, the outputs are buffered and scaled.
It is an active circuit, so requires +/-12V, it would need to be powered from the Anushri in eurorack mode.

I've been concerned about the high price of short runs of aluminum panels. How do you guys feel about PCB material panel for the expander? With a PCB panel (2mm, gold finish) and two PCB's sandwiched behind I believe the cost could be cut down to ~$15.

Thoughts?
masterofstuff124
Ooo a cheap pcb panel! will you also do the original mutable panel? im currently planning an original (standalone) anushri. would love a nice panel. And i see you were planning on a OG panel anyway. what about the expander any chance it would work on an original anushri? Im building this from scratch so hacking in the expander wouldnt be hard for me to accomplish assuming its doable.

of note i would personally prefer the round button caps over the square ones the original used.
masterofstuff124
Oo just noticed the messed up PCBs for half off. Im in for one! still interested in the original aswell though.
skookum
masterofstuff124 wrote:
Ooo a cheap pcb panel! will you also do the original mutable panel? im currently planning an original (standalone) anushri. would love a nice panel. And i see you were planning on a OG panel anyway. what about the expander any chance it would work on an original anushri? Im building this from scratch so hacking in the expander wouldnt be hard for me to accomplish assuming its doable.

of note i would personally prefer the round button caps over the square ones the original used.

I'm sorry I should have been more clear I think, the Pcb panel would be for the expander and accompanying boards. The aluminum panels are ordered and currently on a date with a waterjet.
The expander would absolutely work on an original. The circuits are the exact same.
The panels for the original probably won't happen any time soon. I won't accept money up front, so it's a lot of risk for a very low return.
masterofstuff124
Ahh I see
Having now read this whole thread I'm still interested in one of the buggered boards. I come from DIY guitar pedals so I'm very comfortable with offboard wiring. And thanks to your images I think I can make a shitty euro panel until another run etc. Even if not I'm still interested. A euro anushri seems essential to me now. Looking forward to this build!
shredsickgnar
PCB panel sounds good to me!
dksynth
PCB panel for the expander is fine by me too. Do we have to call dibs on those separately? Sorry if I missed instructions on that, but I'm in for the expander too!
sammy123
Pcb material is fine with me.
skookum
dksynth wrote:
PCB panel for the expander is fine by me too. Do we have to call dibs on those separately? Sorry if I missed instructions on that, but I'm in for the expander too!

Thank you for your patience, everyone.

Ok, I think I'll be going ahead with the PCB panel.
I plan on fabbing enough so everyone who gets PCB's can have access to an expander as well. Plus a few more for regular Anushri users who may be interested.
masterofstuff124
I would also like two of the expander boards along with the one of the messed up euro anushri pcb sets(mentioned previously.) One is for the messed up board and another for a stock anushri.
windspirit
Hey if its not too late Id like a pcb set, Ill prob try my hand at making my own panel. Thank you!
masterofstuff124
can we get the BOM. id like to start sourcing parts.
skookum
Yes! Definitely, I have my own in the works. In the mean time, it is the same as the Mutable Instruments one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-y_RS1UOPwOYie9UAxuSk6lw4EMsU KHqyzrb82ioHI/pub?output=html

EXCEPT FOR:

MIDI jacks (SDS-50J)
1/8" Jacks - "thonkiconn"
Buttons/caps - D6R
Toggle switches - E-switch "100" series with solder lug. Very generic footprint and easy to find. I get mine from bitcheslovemyswitches.com

Also add a eurorack power header, and two extra 1N4001 or 1N5819

I also use 12mm standoffs between the PCB's. It lets me use inexpensive female headers.
BTS
Stupid Question, since the AVR ISP port is still on the main PCB, can the MCU be programmed/burned from the main PCB via a programmer?
skookum
Not a stupid question at all.
I use an inexpensive USBtinyisp to burn the MCUs right on the board.
LudfisterSound
Like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172059880149

I assume you'll have basic instructions for ISP noobs?

Are there any changes in the code from MI's github?
masterofstuff124
Alright gotta couple of questions in anticipation of this build!
are these the correct switches

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/D6R10-F2-LFS/?qs=sGA EpiMZZMvxtGF7dlGNpkpdHmuBIw%2fgX7ohYrWk2UU%3d

they are very nice looking. any idea were i can get other colors?

and for the flip switches i can use these?
x2 of each
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/mini-toggle-switch-spdt-on-off-on.html

and

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/mini-toggle-switch-spdt-on-on.html

you changed the pcb foot print to solder lug? which is awesome btw.

the V2164 quad VCA is a bit annoying to source. Might try the smd v2164M to a breakout board. like this http://i.imgur.com/XNhws8i.jpg etched and adding standoffs. as those seem cheaper.

Finally what is the HP(dimensions) of the finalized board image http://imgur.com/tzhRMAk

i want to make a drill template/toner transfer for a shitty birch plywood panel.
masterofstuff124
as per color the mouser image doesnt show them but according to the tech sheet just order the right part number and it will be that color. http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/60/D6_31aug10-19155.pdf
skookum
*quickpost during break*

It looks like that yes. I can't answer to that particular listing, but mine looks very similar and I have had no problems so far.
I'll be more than happy to provide instructions on how to flash using avrdude in Windows. I don't have a Mac, so I can't really offer specifics there.

No changes to the code. I'm not a programmer, my professional skills lie elsewhere. Olivier is kind enough to have made .hex files available, which is what I have been using, without modification.
skookum
snips from an in progress BOM

1)
RED SPST SWITCH - D6R40 F1 LFS

BLACK SPST SWITCH - D6R90 F1 LFS

2)
The DPDT switches need to be ON-ON-ON
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/tog gle-switch/mini-toggle-switch-dpdt-on-on-on.html Does not work, the switching action is not the same.

The SPDT is fine

One of my goals with modifying the PCB was to make certain parts easier and cheaper to source, especially for the NA crowd.

3) I have had good luck with Cabintech http://cabintechglobal.com/ for the 2164

4) 42HP
skookum
Also, for peeps who want to make their own panel, I'll be making available .DWG, .AI and .PDF files when I know they are bug free.
masterofstuff124
thanks for the help. and panel files!!!! thanks ill wait for those before i start my panel!

THanks again!
skookum
The panels are completed next Wednesday, then an associate and fellow wiggler will pick it up send them to me here in the wilderness.

In the mean time I feel like I'm losing my mind regarding the switches.
When I chose to replace the dpdt switches with more accessible parts\ I compared datasheets of the original, a comparable available at digikey and a "generic". They were all compatible and shared pin numbering, so I edited the existing part to a new footprint and replaced it and rerouted the surrounding traces.
I realized while noodling around with it a couple of evenings ago that the switching isn't right. It is leaving out -1 and the BP. hmmm.....

After checking traces, comparing with the original I still can't see what it is? Obviously I'm too dense to see it and could really, really use another set of eyes on this. What is the error? help

http://imgur.com/a/Kc3rD <- this is an imgur gallery comparing the new and original straight from the source.

I'm lucky I haven't confirmed the replacement control pcbs yet.
alain6870
You should read the datasheet of your switch to see if the truth table is not mirrored. To have it right maybe A3 and B2 should be connected as the schematic and the traces are the same! hmmm.....
yan6
Sp3t right?

Check here i sent a picture of how i wired a ckk brand switch from digikey. The view is from the rear of the switch. If you look at the wiring image by the bad producer you will see his link wire is different. i think it depends on the manufature so check the data sheet.

What view is your pcb , switch on top or behind
skookum
Thanks for the help guys. thumbs up
It is a DPDT on-on-on switch. When I first looked at it the datasheets all suggested identical pins.

This is a link to snippets of original, replacement, and generic replacement. http://imgur.com/a/w4VxP which all appear to match.

The PCB views are of the solder side, so looking at the bottom.
alain6870
Did you check with the multimeter to see if it is really an on-on-on switch? Did you check the connectivity of all your traces? There is something wrong just have to figure out what it exactly is!
skookum
It appears there never was an issue. The generic switch I used appears to have a different projection of the pins in the datasheet. Sometimes I feel pretty stupid. d'oh!
skookum
I'm out of town and phoneposting, but I got this update.

[/img]
Gabo303
I'd be interested to at least the PCB if you have more knobs etc. even those
Thank you
Gabriele
sammy123
The panel looks nice!
audiohawk
Looking good!
Thanks for the update.
skookum
Ok, the panels are finally (holy crap that took way too long!) in my hand. They appear to fit well!
Now I can start sorting and organizing supplies to get these guys out the door.

shredsickgnar
YEW! Looks Awesome!
cullen
Can I put my name down for a full set of pcbs/panel/knobs/expander for the next run. Thanks.

Also interested in MI panel.
dksynth
-deleted-
skookum
Ok! The first invoices have gone out. I will be doing it in batches.
Thank you so much for your patience everyone. It was a struggle with some of the sourcing.

I can now, in between shipping, concentrate on the expander and making the files available.

Here is a shipping spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vG2ELD_1SD7LKoZLtuaCM7PwYmOcW0 beb2oIjMky1to/edit?usp=sharing
skookum
The updated BOM is just about finished, just needs tidying in the spreadsheet.
The instructions are similar enough that I will re-use the material provided by MI.

I would like to highlight again: as we start putting these together, please keep any questions and problems that arise to the thread and PM's and away from the MI forums.
stringsthings
I've never used the ATMega328p before. What would I need to program the chip and how exactly do I do that? I've looked at the github files but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at. It appears to be source code that would need to be compiled. Is there a "main" file that includes all the necessary modules? Again, I'm a newbie here.

Would something like this work?

ISP ATMEGA16 ATmega32 Board + USBISP 3.3V / 5V AVR Download Programmer

( scroll up )
skookum
Hello,
The programmer should work, but I have not personally used one.
You can get the firmware from below, it is the same file as offered by Olivier.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HxHa-BWPRFdkJjTy11UG9NR2c/view?usp= sharing

I am on a Windows machine, using avrdude.

Run these commands in a command prompt, replacing the initial path, with the paths to your avrdude installation, "usbtiny" to match your programmer.

In step 2, replace "C:\anu_092.hex" with the location to the file you downloaded above and "usbtiny" with the name of your programmer.

Step 1.
C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude -V -p m328p -c usbtiny -P usb -B 10 -e -u -U efuse:w:0xfd:m -U hfuse:w:0xd4:m -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U lock:w:0x2f:m

Step 2.
C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude -V -p m328p -c usbtiny -P usb -B 1 -U flash:w:C:\anu_092.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

If you are using the P-PU version of the MCU, avrdude will complain about mismatched signature.
You will need to open avrdude.conf and edit is as shown in the attachment.
This replaces the signature, with one matching the P-PU suffix.

stringsthings
Thank you ! That looks very straightforward.

Please put me down on the list for the next run of PCB/panel/knobs.
AdrianH
Hello guys.
I'm going to make another run for Anushri tabletop case. It's a skiff designed for Anushri Eurorack panel. Audio, MIDI and Power is at the back.
If somebody is interested building a standalone unit from skookum's PCB's/panel and this design fits to you, then let me know.
With original panel it looked like this.

Made last run two years back and need to get new quote, but I think the price will be around 40€.
It includes skiff, wood, fastening materials and stickers for IO.
yan6
Ohhhh thats nice and im very interested. Just one quick question how does the midi interface to skookum's pcb; is another daughter board required or can the midi jack wire directly onto the pcb
AdrianH
MIDI sockets are on big PCB.
Expander panel needs extra wiring. But this skiff is only for the main panel.
masterofstuff124
Oooo count me in for a anushri skiff. Skookums anushri is going in my rack. But I'm also building an original as a standalone. I imagine the original will fit fine? Along with the originals euro panel?
AdrianH
Yep, original will fit.
skookum
Beautiful cases! Top notch work. I think anyone would be happy to house their unit in one of these.

First packets went out this morning. Please let me know when you receive them alright. I'll keep working my way down the list.
A few people have either missed or ignored PM's. I will give them time until I'm caught up with shipping then they'll be made available.
sammy123
I have one of Adrian' s cases already. It's beautiful. Adrian is a top notch dude as well.
skookum
This is the new BOM. Mouser parts are from the original, Digikey parts are picked by me. I have included some suggested Tayda and Futurlec parts too, but buyer beware, they are not tested.

https://github.com/skookumsynth/anookum/blob/master/bom/anookum_bom.xl sx
skookum
If you purchased a discounted buggered board, below is the documentation.

https://github.com/skookumsynth/anookum/blob/master/documentation/anoo kum_j5_wiring.pdf
alain6870
Thanks for the info. It makes things really easy now!
thumbs up
LudfisterSound
What's the ETA on shipping?
skookum
LudfisterSound wrote:
What's the ETA on shipping?

Please refer to this spreadsheet. Yours was in the first batch, it should hopefully be with you soon.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vG2ELD_1SD7LKoZLtuaCM7PwYmOcW0 beb2oIjMky1to/htmlview
nat601
Just picked up my boards / panel from the post office

nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
skookum
Excellent news! w00t
synthdude
Just got my PCB's and they are high quality boards! Thank you skookum.
skookum
Good luck with the build! thumbs up
yan6
unless I have missed it somewhere, the pots in the BOM are numbered R1, R2, etc; but the pcb isn't labeled in the same way, its labeled by function name. Could you provide a cross reference sheet for this.
skookum
Snips from Oliviers excellent build doc at.

http://mutable-instruments.net/anushri/build

Add the 2x 100k pots with audio taper (resonance and main volume).
An A is printed on the pot symbol on the PCB; and to identify the right part you can read “FA 100K” under the pot.
If you are unsure which pot is which, check the resistance between the first and third lead before soldering them.

Add the 3x 10k pots with center detent. A “CD” label is printed on the pot symbol on the PCB; and to identify the right part you can try turning the pot and check for the click/detent at 12’o‘clock. These are used for the pulse-width, and LFO/ENV pitch and PWM modulation where the central position of the pot corresponds to a neutral setting.

Add the remaining 16 10k pots.
yan6
Ah thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of this doc thumbs up

A couple more quick ones: I notice that Olivier used polystyrenes for C14, C28 & C9. You build specified ceramics for C14, C28 and film for C9, just double checking if these should be polystyrene or as specified in your BOM.

Is it essential that the 4.7uf are non-polar

Lastly do you have a link at smallbear to IC6
skookum
Digi-key doesn't stock the polystyrene caps, so i substituted a film cap I've used lots as the VCO timing cap. The ceramics are for the filter. As long as you use C0G grade caps you should be fine.
stringsthings
My PCBs/panel/knobs arrived today. Thanks skookum! smile
Opnotic
Got mine safely in the post a couple days ago. Everything looks great! Thank you!
smithoid
Do you have any PCB's left? I would be happy with the "incorrect" ones.
Cheers
Paul
AzzyBear
Received the pcbs in the mail yesterday and they look great. Thanks Skookum for putting this together, I know how much effort it requires. Btw, I noticed in the BOM you have 12mm m-m spacers listed. Aren't they supposed to be 20mm?
skookum
I realized I missed half of yan6s question. Apologies.
Please keep the 4.7uF capacitors bipolar, they are dc blocking caps.

I don't have schematics on my phone, but I can look later at ic6

Yes, 12mm standoffs between the boards. It lets you use the supercommon style of female headers.
skookum
Smallbear V2164D http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/ic-v2164d/

Mammoth Electronics http://www.mammothelectronics.com/Coolaudio-V2164D-p/400-1034.htm
BTS
Just wanted to let you know that I've received the parts the other day. Can't wait to get the rest of the parts and put this sucker together! SlayerBadger!
skookum
Splendid! nanners
grizzle
I would like to buy pcbs, a panel, and knobs when/if you have them in stock again. I can source my own knobs if its easier.

thanks,
Alex
eclectics
I received the package last week, thanks!

When I looked at the bom from the previous page, google tells me the file is in your trash? Is there a new version or something?

ta,
skookum
I reorganized my files onto github, neglected to update that link. Thanks for the reminder!

This is the BOM: https://github.com/skookumsynth/anookum/blob/master/bom/anookum_bom.xl sx
audiohawk
Back from NY with a package that was waiting for me there for a while.
Looking great... Now to build it!
Thank you for your work we're not worthy
skookum
Good to hear! thumbs up
sicpaul
Just a note:
My PCBs arrived in Berlin today
Pretty fast
Thanks
love
skookum
Excellent!
skookum
A minor revision for the BOM. Potentiometers R26 and R27 have the correct Mouser part no. but are marked as being 10kA when they should be 100kA.

If you have already non-Mouser sourced based on this misinformation, PM me and we'll work something out. d'oh!
oberkorn
forgot to write that mine landed in Sweden last week
PrtScn
A little late here, but got my PCBs and Panel in the mail! They look great!
Bamboombaps
skookum wrote:
Hello,
The programmer should work, but I have not personally used one.
You can get the firmware from below, it is the same file as offered by Olivier.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HxHa-BWPRFdkJjTy11UG9NR2c/view?usp= sharing

I am on a Windows machine, using avrdude.

Run these commands in a command prompt, replacing the initial path, with the paths to your avrdude installation, "usbtiny" to match your programmer.

In step 2, replace "C:\anu_092.hex" with the location to the file you downloaded above and "usbtiny" with the name of your programmer.

Step 1.
C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude -V -p m328p -c usbtiny -P usb -B 10 -e -u -U efuse:w:0xfd:m -U hfuse:w:0xd4:m -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U lock:w:0x2f:m

Step 2.
C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude -V -p m328p -c usbtiny -P usb -B 1 -U flash:w:C:\anu_092.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

If you are using the P-PU version of the MCU, avrdude will complain about mismatched signature.
You will need to open avrdude.conf and edit is as shown in the attachment.
This replaces the signature, with one matching the P-PU suffix.

if anyone is familiar with this process on mac, can you provide a similar step by step?
skookum
Unfortunately I don't own a Mac and I've never worked on one. seriously, i just don't get it
skookum
It should be mentioned that you should leave out the V2164 if you program and power through the ICSP header. It will *maybe* be fine, but it really doesn't like it. So to be safe, pop it out.

I learned about >>this<< recently. If I had been aware of it at the time I would have implemented it on the board. As it is now either beware or implement the diode as advised by the link.
nat601
All built, just waiting for the V2163 to show up :(

Any update on the expander panels Skookum?
skookum
nat601 wrote:
All built, just waiting for the V2163 to show up :(

Any update on the expander panels Skookum?

Its coming. Been busy with other work to pay the bills.
I'm also trying to think of a strategy which does not involve SMT while keeping the HP down.

But perhaps using SMT resistors, but through hole IC's isn't a big deal? seriously, i just don't get it
ym2612
Bring on the SMT! 0805 and SOIC opamps are no problem IMO. cool
andrewradtke
Step 2.

This will work if you rename Oliver's file from 'anu_0.92.hex' to 'anu_092.hex'. Just tried this on an old board that I have been working on. Worked like a charm. Thanks.
nat601
Has anyone else successfully built this yet? I'm having a few problems, namely no square wave from the oscillator (sub square is there though) and the filter just doesn't work! i can hear a bit of resonance when its cranked up but the cutoff hardly does anything :(
yan6
I have successfully built two of them now. Unfortunately im not in much of a position to help just now. I just moved houses and my stuff is still packed away. Perhaps in a week i will be better setup. I could post a pic of my build if it would help you look for errors.
skookum
I have successfully built four myself. Any problems that I have had has so far been solved by reflowing the relevant sections and connectors.

There is a ton of connection back and forth between the two boards through the headers and it is a weak point if you need to repeatedly take it apart to check for things. Check these too.

Have you confirmed the test points as documented by the original MI build doc, it is all exactly the same? Check towards the bottom of this PDF.

Link>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HxHa-BWPRFLXJ1bmFwR0g2ZWs/view?usp= sharing
sicpaul
I finished mine and it seems to be good. Guinness ftw!
Did not test with MIDI yet, but made analog connections.
Beside from a very low level at the panel outputs (which is quite normal, as i asked a friend with an original anushri) everything seems to work fine.
Lovely little toy

Thanks skookum applause
bretvh
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but found this thread when searching for Anushri PCBs. Wondering if you have any of these left, and if so, how I could go about ordering a PCB set and a panel. Thanks!

-Bret

skookum wrote:
FIRST RUN OF PANELS & KNOBS SOLD OUT. PCB's STILL AVAILABLE. If you're interested in a panel still, let me know for the future.

A couple of times I've had requests to build the Mutable Instruments “Anushri” but I've never been able to find PCBs to buy.
After checking kosherness with Olivier I am going to do a run of boards, keeping what I think I might need now and in the future and then sell the remainder.

PCBs: $40
Panel: $60 (preliminary)
Knobs: $25
Shipping: at cost, location dependant, TBD.

This is an interest check to see if anyone around here is interested in a set of boards. The size of the pcb run will depend partially on interest.
I am not looking for anything up front, other than serious interest only. A list will be made and when manufactured and shipped, they can be paid for. They are a couple of fairly big boards and I expect a small run, so estimate about $40-50 for the set of two.

The boards will have some substitutions and modifications, such as “thonkiconn” jacks, D6R buttons, easier to source toggles and a slightly modified euro power section. This is done to better match my stock of parts and an updated BOM will be provided.

It will be sold and supported by me, nothing to do with Mutable Instruments except the licensing. They will be rebranded appropriately to reflect this.

If there’s enough interest I may offer eurorack aluminum front panels as well. I would like some for myself, but they will be expensive in the low quantity I'm expecting (~$60) so it’ll only go ahead if enough people express interest. Absolute minimum 10 peeps. The panel would not be compatible with MI’s original release, and have my own design on it.
If interest in this panel is sufficient I can offer SIFAM “intelljel” style knobs to go with it as well.

In short, if you'd like to buy a set of “Anushri” PCBs and/or a front panel to build a kick ass little box or module, express your serious interest. The PCB’s are going ahead either way, panel/knobs is interest dependent.

ADDENDUM: There is apparently demand for eurorack panels compatible with MI's original release. If you're interested in just a panel, note your interest. Same conditions as above.

edit: Files are on github as per license.

https://github.com/skookumsynth/anookum
stringsthings
It took some time, but I finished my build. This was the first time I've ever flashed a chip, so I was bit nervous. So I bought an inexpensive USBtinyISP and successfully flashed the chip. Waited a day or two for the V2164 IC and some Erthanvar 3.5mm jacks and then fired her up. I had already tested the drum machine while the V2164 was being shipped and now the synth section was fully operational.

Wow! I'm surprised at the versatility of this circuit. I'm waiting on a new MIDI controller so I just used the "hold" function to enter notes. I wound up playing with the different sounds and functions for an hour before finishing the panel with knobs and all the screws.

Thanks to skookum for a great project ! smile smile smile
glennfin
Interested in a PCB/panel as soon as they're available. hyper
skookum
stringsthings wrote:
It took some time, but I finished my build. This was the first time I've ever flashed a chip, so I was bit nervous. So I bought an inexpensive USBtinyISP and successfully flashed the chip. Waited a day or two for the V2164 IC and some Erthanvar 3.5mm jacks and then fired her up. I had already tested the drum machine while the V2164 was being shipped and now the synth section was fully operational.

Wow! I'm surprised at the versatility of this circuit. I'm waiting on a new MIDI controller so I just used the "hold" function to enter notes. I wound up playing with the different sounds and functions for an hour before finishing the panel with knobs and all the screws.

Thanks to skookum for a great project ! smile smile smile

I'm very happy to hear of your success! It is a great synth isn't it?

I want to take a minute and extend apologies for the much delayed expander. Full-time work, two small children and a home under construction has left me with little time or energy to pour into different projects. I do hope to get a chance to revisit this soon.
If anyone purchased based on the expander, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay.
o0
Making good progress on designing a standalone acrylic case, while I wait for the last parts to come in and I start the build.

I was about to send it to the printer when I noticed that the while Olivier's build calls for 10mm spacers between the 2 boards, the connectors are around 11mm+ once you mate the male and female header, which means adding a spacer or using an 11m headers instead.

I'm might actually replace the whole thing with low profile headers, since there is absolutely nothing in between the 2 boards, except for room for the exposed solder traces.

I also replaced the knob for the filter cutoff for a much larger MXR style, and using 1900h style for everything else.

I guess the Eurorack people don't care, but I wished the PCBs were designed so the ICs and most importantly the MIDI and Audio connectors were between the 2 boards instead of below the main board, so the entire assembly could have a much lower profile.

Here's the case design in progress...

masterofstuff124
looks like a nice case! im looking forward to it!
skookum
That looks fantastic! Great job! This acid monster deserves a yuuge Resonance knob. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Oliviers BOM has the low profile headers. I made the choice of "regular" headers ands 12mm standoffs, again to make the sourcing easier and it is mainly aimed at the Euroracked segment.

You could make it even more low profile by using wires in the headers too, but thats a ton of work.
glennfin
Are PCB's and panels still available?... hmmm.....

skookum wrote:
That looks fantastic! Great job! This acid monster deserves a yuuge Resonance knob. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Oliviers BOM has the low profile headers. I made the choice of "regular" headers ands 12mm standoffs, again to make the sourcing easier and it is mainly aimed at the Euroracked segment.

You could make it even more low profile by using wires in the headers too, but thats a ton of work.
evolve
Interested in europanel/PCB (and knobs I guess!)
Always wanted one of these
sammy123
Is the expander still available for those of us from the pcb/panel/knob run?
skookum
sammy123 wrote:
Is the expander still available for those of us from the pcb/panel/knob run?

It will be, for sure.
I got my ass in gear and the prototype is in the fab, and will hopefully be with me soon.
Altitude909
Just finished a build, well done. Those new tacts are a very welcome addition. Any reason you dont use the bootloader? There is an alternate Anushri firmware floating around, having the bootloader would save cracking open the case/pulling it from the rack to update it
lasesentaysiete
pcbs and/or panels still available?
bertjepilsbier
I have an original Anushri and would love to buy an alu panel and other knobs.

Do you also have a replacement for the in/out and MIDI panel?
Altitude909
bertjepilsbier wrote:
I have an original Anushri and would love to buy an alu panel and other knobs.

Do you also have a replacement for the in/out and MIDI panel?

Doesnt fit the orginal Anushri, different jacks and tacts.

While on the topic, here's my case. Same case I used to the MI Anushri adapted to the new jacks and switches

skookum
Just got notifications of a reply, after the fact it seems.

Altitude909 is correct, the buttons and jacks are different and have a slightly adjusted layout.

[quote
Just finished a build, well done. Those new tacts are a very welcome addition. Any reason you dont use the bootloader? There is an alternate Anushri firmware floating around, having the bootloader would save cracking open the case/pulling it from the rack to update it[/quote]

Ignorance I suppose. I haven't seen the alternate firmware you mention. It has made me curious though and I'll be looking for it!

That's a great looking implementation too. Good job! thumbs up
ym2612
Altitude909 wrote:
While on the topic, here's my case. Same case I used to the MI Anushri adapted to the new jacks and switches

love love

Do you have a design file for this that you can share?
indigo
Definitely interested in a kit when available! Tnx
skookum
I did not get a notification that they were at the post office, got a "Final Notice" slip in the mail and they are finally in my hand. Close one!
I hope to get time to test within the next few days. Hopefully all will be well, it is a very simple board.

[/img]
stringsthings
Awesome! Those red boards look great. I'm ready to put my build into the eurorack to let it play with the other modules. This project has been a real joy. Thanks so much for putting this together.
sumdumguy
I am looking for someone to program/flash the atmega for me. I have made two attempts without success and need to determine if there is somene else wrong with my build. PM me if you are willing to help.thanks, eric
audiohawk
Expander boards looking good.
Thanks for the update and Thank you for your work we're not worthy
AdrianH
I have some skiffs and panels left for Anushri and Anookum.
If interested then let me know.
Ilpolainen
AdrianH wrote:
I have some skiffs and panels left for Anushri and Anookum.
If interested then let me know.

Hi!

I would be interested in buying your Anushri desktop -box, and would also like to know where i can buy pcbs suitable for it.

You can email me:
pohjolanilmari@gmail.com

BR. Ilmari Pohjola
brawnywynn
sumdumguy

did you ever successfully flash your atmega?
stringsthings
Any news on the expander boards?
skookum
It's done and BOM is done.
Needs a panel but if someone doesn't need panel, PM me! thumbs up
br1qbat
Adrian - How much for a euro panel for the anookum?
ground_state
This is from the wayback machine, but I really need to understand it:

skookum wrote:
I learned about >>this<< recently. If I had been aware of it at the time I would have implemented it on the board. As it is now either beware or implement the diode as advised by the link.

- Is this even necessary for an unracked unit?
- Is, for example, soldering a Schottky diode directly between pins 8 & 9 on the bottom side of the board a valid solution?
- Equally important: *which* Shottky diode is the correct part? The referenced website mentions BAT85 (fix V- disconnected) and 1N5817 (to add? reverse voltage protection).
skookum
-In the interest of keeping the magic smoke inside your VCA chip if your negative rail fails for some reason it is a good idea.
-Yes
-Either is OK. You don't have to use a specific part no, just make sure you use a Schottky diode. 1N5817, 5818 and 5819 all work and are easily found.
br1qbat
I was perusing the BOM, and ic6 is named only as a quad vca chip. Im assuming this is a 2164? I dont know any others that fit that description, but wanted to he sure
skookum
br1qbat wrote:
I was perusing the BOM, and ic6 is named only as a quad vca chip. Im assuming this is a 2164? I dont know any others that fit that description, but wanted to he sure

That is correct. Either the Coolaudio V2164 or (if you can find one) Analog Devices SSM2164.
ground_state
Very clear. Thanks!
skookum wrote:
-In the interest of keeping the magic smoke inside your VCA chip if your negative rail fails for some reason it is a good idea.
-Yes
-Either is OK. You don't have to use a specific part no, just make sure you use a Schottky diode. 1N5817, 5818 and 5819 all work and are easily found.
br1qbat
Snookum - do you still have any euro panels available?
ground_state
Ugh. I realized I had a problem with the spacers after I'd already soldered the headers. I ordered 20mm spacers after looking at the MI build docs again. Now that I'm completely done *except* for final assembly with the case, I came back here to read through everything and realized that the *headers* are >10mm on purpose.
So, long story short, HELP.
Pololu cut and engraved the case (can't recommend them highly enough), so there's no re-doing that. Any suggestions on how to fit this guy together in the case, short of de-soldering the headers and replacing with low-profile (horrors)?
windspirit
Quick question, is the BOM roughly the same as a normal Anushri BOM? I am finishing up an Anushri build for a client and wanted to build my anookum at the same time. I was hoping to just load up the anookum BOM and then add parts to it as needed for the Anushri build. I know that the jacks and buttons are different but the core components of the synth are the same correct?
skookum
ground_state wrote:
Ugh. I realized I had a problem with the spacers after I'd already soldered the headers. I ordered 20mm spacers after looking at the MI build docs again. Now that I'm completely done *except* for final assembly with the case, I came back here to read through everything and realized that the *headers* are >10mm on purpose.
Pololu cut and engraved the case (can't recommend them highly enough), so there's no re-doing that. Any suggestions on how to fit this guy together in the case, short of de-soldering the headers and replacing with low-profile (horrors)?

If I understand it correctly you have used the 12mm spacers in the middle of the "sandwich" and now you are finding it to be to tall for the case? If that is the case your best bet is to get 18mm spacers. Does it seem your jacks and switch would be functional still if offset 2mm vertically?

Apologies for not highlighting this issue better. d'oh!

windspirit wrote:
Quick question, is the BOM roughly the same as a normal Anushri BOM? I am finishing up an Anushri build for a client and wanted to build my anookum at the same time. I was hoping to just load up the anookum BOM and then add parts to it as needed for the Anushri build. I know that the jacks and buttons are different but the core components of the synth are the same correct?

Yep, you got it!
ground_state
skookum wrote:
ground_state wrote:

If I understand it correctly you have used the 12mm spacers in the middle of the "sandwich" and now you are finding it to be to tall for the case? If that is the case your best bet is to get 18mm spacers. Does it seem your jacks and switch would be functional still if offset 2mm vertically?

Apologies for not highlighting this issue better. d'oh!

No prob, it's down to my lack of due diligence very frustrating . I worked out the 18mm standoff idea after I'd already posted, but thanks for the speedy reply nonetheless thumbs up
It looks like everything should space out OK.
ground_state
So it all worked out in the end. My first build of something like this, and my first soldering since I was a kid (it's been a little while smile ).
The graphics on the case/panel are an amalgam of Snookum and Olivier's modular panels and Olivier's case panel. The case and panel were fabbed and engraved by Pololu (highly recommended) from Illustrator files, total cost $60. I hand-colored everything using Sakura fineliners.
Power tested out good the first time! The only reason I had no sound (as it turned out) was bad flash commands. I got it right on the third try using info from Pololu's website (I also bought their AVR programmer).
On to the good stuff (not sure how image posting/linking works here, so these are Flickr links):
Money shot - https://www.flickr.com/photos/quaestor/33908816041
Panel - https://www.flickr.com/photos/quaestor/33908813371
skookum
Looks *fantastic*! Great job on the case! applause
ground_state
skookum wrote:
Looks *fantastic*! Great job on the case! applause

w00t
Alll due to the generosity and hard work of you and Olivier we're not worthy
windspirit
Hey so I realize that this question is probably better posed to the MI forum but I figured Id ask here in case someone already figured it out. I have a bunch of B100k pots I bought in bulk,will those work instead of the 10k pots? I figure for the digital stuff they are mostly voltage dividers but for the analog stuff it may be more tricky. Obviously the audio taper would have to be a different pot.
skookum
I don't have the schematic in front of me, so it needs to be confirmed but I believe the vast majority acts as simple voltage divider. Except the output volume, resonance, wave, and sub level.
skookum
Unfortunately it appears everything works as intended. w00t

windspirit
Ok folks, I am absurdly close to finishing this thing, but I can't find the correct SP3T switch? I can either go with the one on the mutable BOM and pay 16$ or the one on the anookum BOM and wait 7 weeks. Has anyone found a suitable replacement?

EDIT BEFORE POSTING LOL: Newark for the win with the weird parts selection!

http://www.newark.com/e-switch/100dp6t1b1m1qeh/toggle-switch-dpdt-5a-1 20vac-panel/dp/15N9945?CMP=AFC-OP
Altitude909
Try MCM electronics
Bjarne
@skookum Am I too late for this? I'd like to get PCB/Pots for Anookum/Anushri (thinking about case from Adrian). I'm located in Stockholm, Sweden. Cheers hmmm.....
cnicht
I have a set of boards and front panel if anyone needs them.
skookum
Well this is it. It took way too long but I have a small amount of these sets available. If there is more interest than sets I will make more.

The expander breaks out and brings to a 4hp panel 6 different buffered outputs.
-VCO, from the analog core.
-DCO, square wave from the MCU
-Envelope
-Individual HP, BP, and LP filter modes
Also MIDI in and out.

Soldering is 0805 passives and SOIC chips with through hole headers and jacks.
Documentation is forthcoming. Really just a BOM and wiring points.
Limited amount right now, it was a successful prototype run not requiring any changes.

CLICK HERE TO ORDER
oberkorn
paid for 1x ANEX
Gegenschein
Skookum, are you still building those expander modules? I recently got an Anookum in a trade, which came with the PCBs for the expander module. I'm interested in having them built up because this thing rules. Do you still have panels?
skookum
Gegenschein wrote:
Skookum, are you still building those expander modules? I recently got an Anookum in a trade, which came with the PCBs for the expander module. I'm interested in having them built up because this thing rules. Do you still have panels?

I certainly do, check PM. thumbs up
ambrohski
I wanted to drop in and give some props to Skookum's Niklas- I was looking for some diagnostic tips for getting my build running, and he was extremely helpful- his assistance going WAY beyond that would be reasonably expected...

With his help, I worked it out, and now I'm enjoying playing this fun machine.

Nice work Niklas, thanks again! Rockin' Banana!
stringsthings
Received my panel for the expander. Very, very nice. Building the Anookum has been an entirely pleasant experience.

Cheers Niklas from "down under". Guinness ftw!
ground_state
Yep, nice easy build; it's awesome to have direct access to the extra outputs.
The only trouble I've run into is that I get nothing from the DCO output, not even a blip on the scope. I've triple checked continuity/voltages on everything; I'm starting to think that the Anushri must need to be set up in some particular way which I'm not aware of.
Anyone have any thoughts?
skookum
Hey! Sorry to hear you are having problems with it.
Are you getting a DCO signal at the MCU on the main unit, but not at the expander output?
ambrohski
MI build doc

This is very useful in shaking out issues, and shows the points to check- good luck!
ground_state
LOL @ me
Yeah, turns out it was a patching issue. It's possible to set the VCO tuning such that the DCO essentially turns off...
The PDF manual has a lot of good info, but some of it is kinda buried.
Oh! Almost forgot: thanks a million skookum for all the PM help!
skookum
Glad to hear you got it sorted! w00t
brawnywynn
Do you have any expanders left? I am definitely interested.
skookum
Soon! My parcel has been in the hands of customs for some time, it will hopefully be in my grubby paws soon. screaming goo yo
skookum
Expander PCB and panel available again. Get yours today!
$30 USD includes worldwide shipping. w00t

skookumsynth.com/anex for more info and BOM.
bengarland
The website says ANEX is sold out. Will it be offered again?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 11