MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Successfully finished my First DIY Module - the VRG
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Successfully finished my First DIY Module - the VRG
Leverkusen
Hey everyone,

I just finished my first diy module, the versatile ramp generator - and: It's working! w00t

I had not dared to hope for it and it eventually took some two or three attempts (first, I had shifted the the LM4040 to the end of process when clipping in the IC's and then forgot it - second, I connected dotcom power via a adapter I found in a box to Oakleypower, which gave strange grounding issues). It even worked with the wrong jacks I ordered a bunch of...

I am pretty proud now and as there is no one around at the moment I have to post it here. Looks like that:

It's peanut butter jelly time! Rasta-nana nanners
Paradigm X
congrats!

w00t

Ive just got my vrg to a testing stage now, hopefully it will work too, now ive sorted out wiring issues ...

edit - ive just spotted, are you not meant to put a jumper on the 3 way 'oakley bus' pads? or are you using the oakley bus?

see P7 of the user guide (not builder guide)

i just remembered i need to do this myself.

cheers
Leverkusen
Ups, you are right - thank you for paying attention. I hope yours is working too!

I just build it in and as I understood that it is not essential but I will do it when the next module is built and things get rearranged. Although I should not have built in the Oakley/MOTM power bus as I now power it from a dotcom PSU. I think this not essential too but more a general quality issue to address later on.

I am looking forward getting more experienced...the next one will be the Croglin or the Overdrive II.

It's great fun to build them modules by yourself - and the building guides are nice, too!
Flareless
Very nicely built! applause

I've always thought about installing both types of connectors on some of my Oakley builds. In the VRG Builders Guide on page 8 it indicates that if using the Dotcom connector you must link pins 2 and 3 of the PSU effectively jumpering the grounds. If this the case as it is on some of the boards I've built then I figured it must be possible to install both connectors and then install a jumper on the middle 2 pins of the PSU when using the Dotcom connector.

This way if you decide to sell the module or use it in a different modular you have the option of using either connector.

Tony, if you're reading this would that work? I know all the boards are not the same and some require other jumper lines when using the Dotcom connector (the 4014 Ring Modulator for example) but for the boards which only require pins 2 and 3 on the PSU to be linked it seems like it should work.
Synthbuilder
Flareless wrote:
I figured it must be possible to install both connectors and then install a jumper on the middle 2 pins of the PSU when using the Dotcom connector.

Yes, if you want the panel grounded when using the dotcom connector you need to join the two middle pins of the MOTM power header. The easiest way is indeed using a dummy power connector with pins 2 and 3 linked together.

Some boards do have the two power connectors very close to one another. There may not be room for two headers in this instance.

Tony
Flareless
Thanks Tony! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1