MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Intellijel 1U Info Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Intellijel 1U Info Thread
Citizen Klaus
flo wrote:
mskala wrote:
Citizen Klaus wrote:
mskala wrote:
it doesn't make sense to me for "1U" to be the name of the format whose important defining characteristic is that it is not 1.75 inches.

They're both 1.75 inches.

Anybody who applies a ruler is going to disagree.

Correct.

mskala left out the rest of the quote, leaving out the context for that statement.

I'm not disputing that the panel sizes are different -- just that, as shred pointed out above, both 1U formats fit into exactly 1U of rack space, provided you use appropriate rails. With both formats, the size of the total package (panel + rails + tolerances) comes to 1.75 inches. They're both 1U.

The difference is that one format (Pulp Logic/Erthenvar) was designed exclusively around one type of rail, while the other (Intellijel) works with multiple rail types.
Citizen Klaus
thx2112 wrote:
Are just the outer diameters different, or are the hole placements different as well?

Both. From the OP:

ersatzplanet wrote:
The Vector rails indeed do not have a lip, which is there purely for cosmetic reasons. The standard Doepfer panel size will work with vector rails with no lip, Schroff rails with lips, Z-Rails with lips etc., etc. because they are sized for the HOLE SPACING, NOT the overall 3U size. If the original iU tiles made for the hole spacing of vector rails and rails with lips, they would work for both.

It is unfortunate that the originators of the 1U tiles didn't think of the possibility of the rails with lips being used. This means that buyers will always have to ask because now even the hole spacing is different for both versions.

NOBODY makes 3U modules that ONLY work for lipless Vector rails and not in the ones that have them. They are at least universal.

Source

Basically, as I understand it, Pulp Logic/Erthenvar were able to give themselves extra PCB and panel space for their tiles by pushing the rails out to the vertical limits of the 1U form factor. But they could only do this because they were using Vector rails, which don't have lips. Since the lips take up a few mm of vertical space, if you used the Pulp Logic/Erthenvar hole spacing with lipped rails (Doepfer, TipTop, etc.), you'd exceed 1.75 inches of overall height, and the tile row would no longer fit into exactly 1U.
thx2112
Interesting.

I calculate the 1U centers as 33.457mm.

The tiles have about 29mm PCB height, which is just barely enough for two vertical jacks. 22.5mm for 1U is very tight.

It will be interesting to see if it takes.
handsomepanther
Ty wrote:
I brought a blank erthenvar 1U tile to see the size difference with the new Intellijel 1U modules.

That Picture is Super Helpful!
msegarra
do all of them use the same power connector plugs as the rest of my euro?
thx2112
They just sent me this link:

http://intellijel.com/technical-specifications/

It includes the above graphic, plus this one:

dumbledog
msegarra wrote:
do all of them use the same power connector plugs as the rest of my euro?

Intellijel uses the standard 12-pin cables as far as I know, as they use the CV/Gate buses. PulpLogic's tiles use small, keyed, 4-pin 'tile tails' and a cable that splits one eurorack power slot into 3 tile tail connectors to save on slots.

The lunchbox I got has enough connectors built in that I'm able to power 14 tiles without using a single slot on the power board which is kinda nice.
mskala
Citizen Klaus wrote:
I'm not disputing that the panel sizes are different -- just that, as shred pointed out above, both 1U formats fit into exactly 1U of rack space, provided you use appropriate rails. With both formats, the size of the total package (panel + rails + tolerances) comes to 1.75 inches. They're both 1U.

If you want to call them both 1U, that's great, but it has nothing to do with my point, which is very specifically about the proposal from Umcorps to call only the lipless format "1U" and to call it only "1U" with no clarifying adjective.
Citizen Klaus
mskala wrote:
Citizen Klaus wrote:

If you want to call them both 1U, that's great, but it has nothing to do with my point, which is very specifically about the proposal from Umcorps to call only the lipless format "1U" and to call it only "1U" with no clarifying adjective.

Ah. I agree, it makes no sense to call only one format "1U," with no adjective attached. Thanks for clarifying.

Personally, I'm leaning towards "Schroff 1U" and "Vector 1U," to clarify the type of rails used, but "lipped 1U" and "lipless 1U" would accomplish the same thing.
dumbledog
Pulp Tiles and Jelly Squares.
Diabolik!
can we maybe talk about the actual modules in this thread? this debate over the differences in format isn't going anywhere, and it's already happening in multiple threads. Intellijel made their own judgement call, offered their (valid) reasons for doing so, and it's not changing, so why keep discussing it?

i think i'm going to need a couple of the quadratts. would be nice if there was a way to link the two with a ribbon cable to expand to an 8 channel mixer.
modernage
Diabolik! wrote:
can we maybe talk about the actual modules in this thread? this debate over the differences in format isn't going anywhere, and it's already happening in multiple threads. Intellijel made their own judgement call, offered their (valid) reasons for doing so, and it's not changing, so why keep discussing it?

i think i'm going to need a couple of the quadratts. would be nice if there was a way to link the two with a ribbon cable to expand to an 8 channel mixer.

Yeah, I'm very interested in knowing more about all the proposed modules, and pricing/release date for the 1u modules and 7u case. I've been holding off buying another case, and since the NAMM reveal the Intellijel lineup has a slight lead in the race for my money. The affordability of the 1u modules will probably be the deciding factor over whether I will be buying one of their cases.
Jazzmarazz
Is that 36.65mm dimension correct? The full height of a lipped 1U module is 39.65, but they claim the space between the edge and drill is 3mm. This would mean that the dimension between drill-to-drill should be 33.65mm, not 36.65mm.

Hese my comparison.

DSC
Jazzmarazz wrote:
Is that 36.65mm dimension correct? The full height of a lipped 1U module is 39.65, but they claim the space between the edge and drill is 3mm. This would mean that the dimension between drill-to-drill should be 33.65mm, not 36.65mm.

Hese my comparison.

This is interesting.
Jazzmarazz
Here is the design of a universal Intellijel faceplate. This will fit both a lipped rail and vector rail.

The faceplate matches exactly the dimensions suggested by Intellijel, but the drills themselves are cut-out to the nearest edges.

I suppose user modifications could pretty easily be made for these modules to fit a vector rail.

AS mentioned above, both standards are in fact 1U by their own means, for one reason or another. Not necessarily the same reasons. razz
intellijel
There was a typo on the diagram (updated on our site).

hole to hole of the 1U is 33.65mm (not 36.65mm)

[/img]
Trebbers
Info on the 1u modules is up on Intellijel's site. Some have pricing. The first thing that stood out to me is [edit: something I was wrong about!] but is normalled to let you do submixes, which seems like a pretty good tradeoff. Nothing on the cases to put them in though.
intellijel
Trebbers wrote:
The first thing that stood out to me is that the Quadatt won't work an offset generator like the Triatt,

It can do offset generation too.

The differences from the triatt:
triatt has 3 modes for each channel (negative, positive, bipolar)
while Quadratt has two (positive, bipolar)

Triatt sums at output 3 (normals to the sum broken if you patch out of a discrete output).

Triatt has headers on the back to select normalling of +5V or +10V to each input while Quadratt is fixed at +5V.

Quadratt sums via adjacent normalling. e.g. output 2 is the sum of out1 and out 2. out 3 is the sum of out 2 and out 3 and so forth.
So if nothing is patched into the discrete outputs then out 4 would effectively be a sum of all 4 channels. If you patched out of out 2 and out 4 then out 2 = sum of 1+2 and out 4 = sum of 3 + 4 which means you get two seperate sub mixes.

If you want to do offsets you use a pair of channels and only one input. The input that is left unpatched will have the 5V normal and then you can set it to be either 0-5V or -5 to +5V with the mode switch. This voltage will be summed with the adjacent channels output to create the offset to an external signal for example.
le_palace
Jazzmarazz wrote:
Here is the design of a universal Intellijel faceplate. This will fit both a lipped rail and vector rail.

very good idea, interesting indeed
Trebbers
intellijel wrote:
Trebbers wrote:
The first thing that stood out to me is that the Quadatt won't work an offset generator like the Triatt,

It can do offset generation too.

My bad! That is good news. I'll edit the post, accordingly.
jenz
When the Quadratt will be available via intellijel's site?
Roy72
Any possibility of an intellijel 1u headphone tile? To me it seems to be the utility missing from the first release collection.
le_palace
Roy72 wrote:
Any possibility of an intellijel 1u headphone tile? To me it seems to be the utility missing from the first release collection.

+1 only thing missing from output
rimbod
intellijel wrote:
Quadratt sums via adjacent normalling. e.g. output 2 is the sum of out1 and out 2. out 3 is the sum of out 2 and out 3 and so forth.
So if nothing is patched into the discrete outputs then out 4 would effectively be a sum of all 4 channels. If you patched out of out 2 and out 4 then out 2 = sum of 1+2 and out 4 = sum of 3 + 4 which means you get two seperate sub mixes.

Wooooooow... woah That's really interesting...

Any chance the quadratt will ever be available in 3U?
taylor12k
+2 on headphone output!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 2 of 14