MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Connecting Modular to Ableton: What gear should I be using?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Connecting Modular to Ableton: What gear should I be using?
raptorantics
Helloooo, I have a silly question for you guys

So i've just got my box filled with a few modules now, starting to resemble a synth. Eventually I will be saving up for a drum machine but for the meantime I want to save my money for modules so I'm thinking of playing drums/sequencing from ableton.

My question is what kind of gear would I need if my requirements are only drums/sequencing/sync from the laptop? I've seen different cv/midi interfaces, external interfaces like the Kenton USB Solo and sound cards though theres so many options I was just wonderng what would be best for me.

Appreciate any answers screaming goo yo
337is
This is a wonder-land full of many options for doing what you describe:

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/
simonlubie
Am kind of wondering a similar thing. Can the FH1 be used to connect ableton to modular, or do you need the ES3?
spudboyblues
Expert sleepers is definitely the default here, but I've had great success using the Roland UM-One as USB -> MIDI and then routing into Yarns. Food for thought as an alternative to the default! Plus then you get a whole sequencer for when you *don't* want to be plugged into the computer...
artistcalled6
Yarns has done me well throughout my journey. Currently I'm using yarns for midi -> trigger to pop drums from an OT, and then PGH Midi3 for the very little voice sequencing that we do. Seems to be a great combo.
spudboyblues
Nice! What're your voices?

My dream rig is going to be this guy: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/250167 with MIDI going into Yarns, which sends a gate to Tempi such that they can bock clock all of the things. That plus a Push to trigger MIDI sequences, and other samples / backing tracks / drum sequences. (Maybe a DS1 to control internal FX sends and levels!) Modular + Ableton into a mixer (6/8 track) and out from there.
artistcalled6
spudboyblues wrote:
Nice! What're your voices?

One is a make noise voice (dpo, sto, rxmx and other mn stuff), the other is a subcon voice (m15, m37, m52, m53).
tthogs
I sampled the sound of a gate and put it into simpler. Put it on a midi track and send it out and extra output on my interface. It's just loud enough that most modules will clock with it. Its a shaky workaround but it hasnt failed yet
bluemeanie
raptorantics wrote:
so I'm thinking of playing drums/sequencing from ableton.

My question is what kind of gear would I need if my requirements are only drums/sequencing/sync from the laptop? I've seen different cv/midi interfaces, external interfaces like the Kenton USB Solo and sound cards though theres so many options I was just wonderng what would be best for me.

Appreciate any answers screaming goo yo

i run from abelton thru my computers midi interface and then midi on to my doepfer midi to cv module.

i can write sequence's on ableton that play the modular

and send midi sync clock to sync the modular's sequencers / clock div etc
Noizy Robot
simonlubie wrote:
Am kind of wondering a similar thing. Can the FH1 be used to connect ableton to modular, or do you need the ES3?

It can via something like an iConnectMIDI interface, but this will only give you CV, gate, and other such CV based controls. If you want to send audio in and out as well you'll need the ES3.
Willowhaus
Good topic. Been considering Expert Sleepers as well for other modular stuff I'm assembling. Right now I have a Mother32, so MIDI clocking works there - could always use that as the CV clock, I guess, but I think I'd rather not have to rely on it alone (although I haven't tested it that much yet...).

From the Ableton side, I either run MIDI out from my interface (Focusrite Pro 40) or from a simple USB interface, similar to the Roland, if I'm going lite & not taking the interface out. The Push works great as a controller - I also have an APC40, and prefer to use that so the Push can be more of an instrument.

I do like doing drums from the Push, although I'm also looking at adding some modules for percussive stuff.
kwaidan
If you just want to sequence drums, there are cheaper options than going with Expert Sleepers. I use an old Analog Solutions MIDI to 16 trigger output that I got used for seventy bucks. While they do not pop up often, there are a few MIDI to 8 trigger out modules that you can get new for under $200. I think Erica has one.

I also have a Yarns, and it is great for chords. However, unless they changed the software, it will only give you four trigger outs, two gate outs, and clock start/stop.

Hexinverter makes a MIDI kit with eight outputs that you may want to investigate. I don't remember how many trigger outs are available with it, but it does have four note and four gate outputs.

Another option is to get a Motu Audio interface. Some of them like the Ultralite or 828 have DC coupled outputs, so you can use them with Expert Sleepers without a module.

Also note that the latest version of Reaktor can send CV out and there are quite a few people starting to use it with Eurorack.
Alteredlandscapes
Get a yarns... You can sync to the bpm in ableton and it will allow you to have 4 gate and 4 cv outs. Each of the 4 sequencers allow you to adjust swing, sequence, and clk divide separately as well as other parameters. You can mult the signals and send them throughout your euro. It works great in the setup I have.
hellfeatures
+1 on yarns.. great flexibility in what information you can send to your modular. it also has a half decent oscillator on board and some very interesting arpeggiating options
spudboyblues
I'm on an ES-3 with the USB Streamer B by miniDSP and it's worked wonders for me. Much better and more configurable than Yarns, IMO, for pure DAW <> Modular, if that's all you're looking for. It's also a much stronger sync than MIDI, if you care about syncing other gear.
Hansi026
the plugin throb from shaduzlabs is really tight .... but only for syncing

http://github.com/shaduzlabs/throb/blob/master/README.md
needlz
Get a Soundcraft Signature 12 Mixer and run all your analog effects through aux send/receive + 12 I/O channels to bring your module's voices into the box for recording or further processing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1