MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet Mini Wave applications
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Blacet Mini Wave applications
elemental
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
The Metasonix TM-3 Dual Thyratron VCO is lovely for driving the Mini-Wave as well.

Aargghh!!
I've been curious about the TM-3 for a few years now. Now I'm curious again!!! But I have not the funds ... damn gear lust! razz
felix
synthetic wrote:
Damn. I spent my modular budget this month, like, four times already. But the MiniWave kit is tempting.

Yeah, this is the last thing I can buy this month, and possibly next. But I wanted to make sure I got one, and it should be a fun (and hopefully not frustrating) project.
elemental
I've actually been thinking of getting another one, probably in kit form as I want to get confident building kits so I can put together some more esoteric modules in the future.

I love the wave sounds... but also recently discovered quantizing with it. So 2 would be real nice!!
I'm looking to sell my doepfer quantizer ... I just got the hylander scale quantizer rom. One thing it cant do though that the doepfer one can is generate triggers when it switches pitch. Is there a module taht can do this? I thought maybe the window comparator might but it seems not. Something that generates a trigger/event with a given difference in the input voltage over a very small space of time. (Maybe a new thread is needed..)
question
plord
felix wrote:
... it should be a fun (and hopefully not frustrating) project.

The MW was my first DIY module, and I've since pulled it and put it behind a different panel (and re-wired all the jacks). It's pretty easy, though not completely idiot proof. Tips:

* Do not drop one of the 22pf capacitors. You'll never find the fucker.
* Standard advice: mind you don't get the chip sockets in backwards!
* Otherwise, stuffing the board is cake.
* Wiring jacks and pots is straightforward.
* The LEDs are the chinese finger puzzle of the whole exercise. You must get the 90 degree bends just right and the height off the PCB just right before you even think about picking up the iron, or else its nearly impossible to get them into the holes in the front panel. If possible, build to that point, skip the flying wires, and line up the LEDs *in place*, through the board loose, in the panel holes, then solder.

Congrats and enjoy!
eyehue
plord wrote:

* Otherwise, stuffing the board is cake.
* Wiring jacks and pots is straightforward.
* The LEDs are the chinese finger puzzle of the whole exercise. You must get the 90 degree bends just right and the height off the PCB just right before you even think about picking up the iron, or else its nearly impossible to get them into the holes in the front panel. If possible, build to that point, skip the flying wires, and line up the LEDs *in place*, through the board loose, in the panel holes, then solder.

i agree with plord, i recall the build being really easy. only trick is getting those LEDs in nice and uniform.
matt.patey
elemental wrote:
I've actually been thinking of getting another one, probably in kit form as I want to get confident building kits so I can put together some more esoteric modules in the future.

I love the wave sounds... but also recently discovered quantizing with it. So 2 would be real nice!!
I'm looking to sell my doepfer quantizer ... I just got the hylander scale quantizer rom. One thing it cant do though that the doepfer one can is generate triggers when it switches pitch. Is there a module taht can do this? I thought maybe the window comparator might but it seems not. Something that generates a trigger/event with a given difference in the input voltage over a very small space of time. (Maybe a new thread is needed..)
question

I can imagine how one could use an ASR module to do this (like with Plan-B's Model 23, e.g. compare output 1 with output 2 and see if they match), but I don't know of any ASR modules that exist for Frac (anyone?)...
matt.patey
Come to think of it, you could probably detect the change using a combination of Metalbox's Analogue Logic (http://metalbox.com/modules/analogic.html) and either his Slope Detector (http://metalbox.com/modules/slope.html), VC Divider (http://metalbox.com/modules/vcdiv.html), or Gate Comparator (http://metalbox.com/modules/gatedcomp.html). Using the divider or VC Comparator just OR the Up/Down outputs to detect change, and if you're using the Gate Comparator just OR outputs 1 and 2 to detect a change. If this works the way I think it would then I think you could make a pretty cool sounding arpeggiator, especially if you drive the MW with a random VC source such as the Noise Ring... So tempted to buy the slope and analogic modules to try this out... 8)
Babaluma
matt.patey wrote:

I can imagine how one could use an ASR module to do this (like with Plan-B's Model 23, e.g. compare output 1 with output 2 and see if they match), but I don't know of any ASR modules that exist for Frac (anyone?)...

michael ford built me a ken stone/cgs asr into a frac rack ear, it's super duper Guinness ftw!
Babaluma
today i swapped out the standard MW rom, it took less than five minutes. i now have the scale quantiser rom in slot one and the socket rocket rom in slot two (the LIF one), woooopppeeeeee!!!

SlayerBadger!
Kwote
Babaluma wrote:
i now have the scale quantiser rom in slot one and the socket rocket rom in slot two (the LIF one), woooopppeeeeee!!!

SlayerBadger!

that's how i'll be rollin once i get my hands on the MW.

back to sellin on ebay i go.
johnnymad
eyehue wrote:
MW kits are back in stock at Blacet!

w00t w00t i just ordered mine. i still need to finish building the hex zone though. i bought a frac rack a couple of weeks ago and i already need another one once i get the miniwave. very frustrating
Luka
i want one of these for my klee, have to call in some debts i think
Kwote
i'm on the hustle again. i hate it but i should have an MW already. fate already failed me once. not this time though.

it's probably crazy for me to think they'll sell out within just a week or two but i still feel the situation is urgent.

relatively speaking of course. i don't view gear acquisition as life and death. smile
matt.patey
Mine came in today, can't wait to try it out :-) I'll post a demo if I happen to come up with something interesting with it.
Kwote
one thing i'm finally starting to realize is pretty much any random voltage can be quantized. this gives me great hope for some very unpredictable and full of variety sequences.

can't wait. i mean shit it actually makes me feel like i need a whole other module for my ideals.

like a quantize module with atleast 4 or 6 seperate inputs and outputs each with a dedicated prom. then i could shove a scale quantizer prom into each signal path and quantize lots of stuff. Noiserings, Binary Zones, Psycho LFO's, Super Psycho's, etc. damn that would be hot!!!!!
Babaluma
the psim could do that! (well, 4 quantisers at a time) used to have one but sold it.
Luka
does anyone know how well the Qunatix8 compares to the miniwave?
elemental
matt.patey wrote:
Come to think of it, you could probably detect the change using a combination of Metalbox's Analogue Logic (http://metalbox.com/modules/analogic.html) and either his Slope Detector (http://metalbox.com/modules/slope.html), VC Divider (http://metalbox.com/modules/vcdiv.html), or Gate Comparator (http://metalbox.com/modules/gatedcomp.html). Using the divider or VC Comparator just OR the Up/Down outputs to detect change, and if you're using the Gate Comparator just OR outputs 1 and 2 to detect a change. If this works the way I think it would then I think you could make a pretty cool sounding arpeggiator, especially if you drive the MW with a random VC source such as the Noise Ring... So tempted to buy the slope and analogic modules to try this out... 8)

I just ordered (amongst a few others) the CGS Slope Detector PCB. Will probably be my first bare PCB build; need to practice on a couple of Blacet Kits first. That should turn the miniwave into some kind of arpegiator smile
johnnymad
Kwote wrote:
i'm on the hustle again. i hate it but i should have an MW already. fate already failed me once. not this time though.

it's probably crazy for me to think they'll sell out within just a week or two but i still feel the situation is urgent.

relatively speaking of course. i don't view gear acquisition as life and death. smile

i don't think they'll sell out in a week. if it took that long for them to be back in stock, i'm pretty sure blacet got a bunch of them.
Kwote
Babaluma wrote:
the psim could do that! (well, 4 quantisers at a time) used to have one but sold it.

cool. i might actually have an opportunity to get a Pism.

hmmm.....
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
Kwote wrote:

i don't think they'll sell out in a week. if it took that long for them to be back in stock, i'm pretty sure blacet got a bunch of them.

i know. i'm just a total nut and i've been lusting for a mini-wave for quite some time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2