MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Accenturist, 6 ch mixer with accent feature (2181 based)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author The Accenturist, 6 ch mixer with accent feature (2181 based)
falafelbiels
Hey people,

because I have a bunch of little percussion modules that have no accent feature, I made a mixer for them that does, The Accenturist.
This is again an idea that came from looking at the CR8000 circuitry.

The Accenturist is a fairly straightforward 6 input, 1 output mixer that uses a VCA (that2181c because I had a bunch of these) and an internal little envelope circuit to accentuate notes.
It can take any old positive going trigger signal (thus far anyway, surprise me) to get the envelope going and it will give you a bump in your audio.
the amount of bump can be set with a little attenuverter and because it is an attenuverter, you can also make that bump a little dip. This dip isn't always very audible on percussive notes though, on an oscillator it is good.

the input can also be switched from trigger in to CV in mode, in which case it will stick the input into a buffer, and ignore the envelope. In this mode, you can use any of your envelopes, envelope followers, LFOs or what have you to modulate the dynamics of your signal for all kinds of compression/ expansion effects. It is very nice I assure you.

It has "stupid eurorack power wrongful connection" protection as some people have asked for this and footprints for ptc fuses just to be on the even safer side. I bridged these because I don't have those parts here.

There are trimmers on the back for setting the general level and the max accent level. Make sure you have some headroom on your mixer channel if you want dramatic dynamics effects.

Mucking around a bit with pita falafel pattern in the background. This is a thing I want to do a bit more of.

So this one works as is and the only "funny" part in there is the THAT2181c VCA chip. all SMD is 0805 so no problem there with even slightly steady hands.
I will upload a BOM as soon as I have made one. Also schematics because I want to better myself hehehe.
It is probably a two hour build or so if you have all your parts ready to go.

Right, now I have 5x v0.2 boards to spare.
So to get a bit of money back into my Paypal account so I can make more new stuff (working on some things) I would like to sell these boards, with panels if anyone wants them. Tomorrow I will do some panels which I think look nicer than these, will post piccies.
The panel you see here is 2mm thick, 5 layer "airplane" plywood, which is quite strong. I have no problem using this stuff and it looks rather nice.
I can do 3mm Perspex and 3mm birch triplex as well, but 3mm doesn't go very well with the Thonkiconn connectors that I love to use.

For anyone interested, I am thinking €10,- for the PCB and €10,- for the panel, plus €3,- for shipping anywhere and VAT where applicable.

I will be ordering v1.0 versions soon (but I need my Paypal filled up a bit for that so there you go). v1.0 will probably be exactly the same, maybe I will lose the symmetry trimmer, but then again, why would I?
Anyway these are good, so they will be renamed v1.0 as is only usual.

So who wants a piece of this?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

well:

1 x hsimonis
2 x spneca I still have a hard time pronouncing that
1 x grizzle See? much easier!
2 x sixty_n
1 x DJBRUTAL
1 x yan6
2 x Crashlander42
3 x mtrnn
1 x jensu
1 x sammy123
1 x Zaibach
1 x shiftr
2 x mobith
1 x oberkorn
1 x Suf-fuD

And that's it for this run. Nag me and I will order more boards...
hsimonis
looks like fun, and manageable even for my limited SMD skills. One PCB and panel to Ireland, please.

Helmut
falafelbiels
hsimonis

Will do!
and invoice coming later this week.
I will post some piccies of a newer style of frontpanels I have been thinking about. they will look something like this:

note the pita falafel pattern in the background...
would you like that?
executiveBlaster
sweet module! and those panels look really great.

do you have your own laser?
NS4W
I like your simple designs better! The new one seems cluttered in my opinion. This is fun!
spneca
I'll take 2 sets.
grizzle
i want 1 set please!
sixty_n
yes I'd take 2 sets too. The new style panels look really nice
DJBRUTAL
One for me please. Would like a wood panel (original design) to match my Corny Rhythm & SSM2044 filter.
falafelbiels
executiveBlaster wrote:
sweet module! and those panels look really great.

do you have your own laser?

Thanks!
I wish...

There is a makerspace here that I go to, but time goes by real fast when you are in there. I should get my own machine but I am a little spoiled by now.

NS4W wrote:
I like your simple designs better! The new one seems cluttered in my opinion. This is fun!

I understand, just looking for a bit of variety myself.
This is just an old design on a slab that I had previously lightly engraved. So no trouble not doing that.

spneca wrote:
I'll take 2 sets.

cool

grizzle wrote:
i want 1 set please!

1 set for you sir

sixty_n wrote:
yes I'd take 2 sets too. The new style panels look really nice

Thank you very much!

DJBRUTAL wrote:
One for me please. Would like a wood panel (original design) to match my Corny Rhythm & SSM2044 filter.

Sho can do

I will start a list up there
yan6
You know I want one with a wood panel hihi
falafelbiels
yan6

And you know that I know that you know I was thinking about you all the time while I was making this, right?

spinning

Yup you are in of course!
yan6
w00t

btw the new panel styles are supa nice we're not worthy
falafelbiels
Thanks man!
Crashlander42
I'll take two sets, unless you're out in which case I'll take two next time you have them available.
falafelbiels
Crashlander42

Sure thing

I was out of available boards really quick. Will order new ones tonight, with fast shipping.
Things must be pretty hectic in China now, with all these people coming back from their holiday. I hope they enjoyed it!
mtrnn
So for synthesis use this would give some sort of speudo 303 accent?
Three PCB:s for me from the next batch please!
antf4rm
I like the idea of this mix bumper. It would most likely give the effect of accent to a few drums with less patching. ?? I haven't yet considered the idea of accenting a drum mix but when I think about it it seems very practical. Neat!
jensu
I would be up for 1 board aswell please.

Could do some pseudo-ducking with this.
falafelbiels
mtrnn wrote:
So for synthesis use this would give some sort of speudo 303 accent?
Three PCB:s for me from the next batch please!

Hmmmwelllll, doesn't that include a bump in filter frequency as well?
I will happily sell you boards but I can't confirm this is what you are looking for. Not so big on 303s here. I like 101s...

antf4rm wrote:
I like the idea of this mix bumper. It would most likely give the effect of accent to a few drums with less patching. ?? I haven't yet considered the idea of accenting a drum mix but when I think about it it seems very practical. Neat!

Yes it sure saves some patching. It works best on short percussive notes which is probably why the 808 has accent per voice, with the long decay on the bassdrum and all. Bumbing the audio while a long 808 boom goes through is a funny effect. This method is als used in the dr110.
It works well for me.

jensu wrote:
I would be up for 1 board aswell please.

Could do some pseudo-ducking with this.

Sho nuff, you certainly could.

Alright a bunch of boards has been ordered, should arrive in two weeks.
sammy123
I'd like a wood panel and pcb set. I could always use another mixer. Thanks.
falafelbiels
Cool yo!
falafelbiels

Lines are somewhat thicker on these and next batch I will do the pita pattern a bit lighter. I will put up this picture in the original post as well.
Grumskiz
I like the background pattern. Seems like all the cool kids have something like that now wink (Mutable Instruments, Erica Synth Black Series...and you!)
falafelbiels
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4