MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley VCO to VCLFO modification
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Oakley VCO to VCLFO modification
monzelio
Hi
i have successfully built three Oakley VCO and they sound great, i would like to modify one of this,someone has idea how to mod this VCO in order to switch from normal VCO to VCLFO?
I suppose that changing the value of C14, (in my schematic is the timing capacitor)i can get lower frequency...
someone has tried it?
Thanks
Synthbuilder
monzelio wrote:
I suppose that changing the value of C14, (in my schematic is the timing capacitor)i can get lower frequency...

Increasing C14 will indeed lower the frequency - doubling the value will lower the frequency by half. But for a sawtooth core to work properly the timing capacitor must be discharged completely on every cycle of the oscillator. A bigger capacitor takes longer to discharge so the discharge FET must be on for longer to remove all the charge from C14. Control over discharge time is based around C10 and C13. So you may well have to play with those values (increase them) to get your VCO to work well with big increases in the value of C14.

The stock VCO does go quite low with CV control anyway so you may find lowering the value of R28 will get you where you want without having to change C14.

Personally I find VC-LFOs best served by triangle core oscillators. You get really nice shaped triangle and sine waves out of them which are more suitable for slow modulations.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1