MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

?? Frac Format
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author ?? Frac Format
ritchiedrums
I have been building a modular for about 2 years now. Most of my modules are 5u DOTcom, but I also have some MOTM, euroracks & recently added 4 Blacet modules. I see that Blacet & other manufacturers are still introducing new FRACs. So why does there appear to be a "Frac is on the way out..." thing going around? ~ seriously, i just don't get it I don't understand - It's great stuff & a cool size.............
parasitk
Several people have dropped Frac - namely Wiard, STG, Bananalogue, and Flight of Harmony. Only Blacet and PAIA really support it anymore. I suppose and Bugbrand, but only kind of.
rezzn8r
euro=vhs, frac=betamax seriously, i just don't get it
fluxmonkey
Metalbox (lots of stuff).
Sythasonics (filter, phaser).
MOTM (VCS, ADSR, 2 filters).
Oakely (VCA, Lag, Overdrive, Ringmod).
Encore (freq shifter).
STG (filter, still in stock at AH).
Voice of Saturn (filter, just released).

"the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated..."
panda30y
fluxmonkey wrote:
Encore (freq shifter).

Also the FoH Plague Bearer and Choices is still in stock at AH.
haricots
I grew tired of those teensy tiny jacks and bought some modules with big holes. thumbs up I plan on porting some Blacet/Paia over to 5U at some point.
panda30y
haricots wrote:
I grew tired of those teensy tiny jacks and bought some modules with big holes. thumbs up I plan on porting some Blacet/Paia over to 5U at some point.

Banana jacks is my choice route!
parasitk
"still in stock" isn't the same as "still supports".

I did forget Metalbox and Synthasonics though!
werock
I like Frac as a format - at least you know you're not going to be left with stupid gaps somewhere in your rack hihi

But as I've said before, as virtually all the Frac manufacturers are American, it makes them artificially expensive for Europeans, once you add on the VAT & dreaded import tax/fees (it recently cost me £44 in fees when buying 2 new Blacet modules . angry ) That must affect sales.

But I agree, there's still plenty of cool Frac modules - I just haven't got room for them all.
ritchiedrums
Well it would be a shame if it went........I prefer the size over Eurorack. Guinness ftw!
Mood Organ
The Pokey module is going to be in Frac format as well SlayerBadger!

The decline in support is disappointing, but I love the format and between Metalbox and Blacet there is a whole lot of power available. Seems like there's a lot of DIY stuff out there, too.

I'd liken Frac to MacOS and Euro to Windows, rather than the Beta/VHS thing
BananaPlug
Demise of frac? No, I think your just seeing the ebb and flow of the wigglers. I don't think John Blacet is going anywhere and Paia seems to be in the game so there's a full foundation of modules out there. Metalbox too!

When I first arrived at Muff's there was lots of buzz about Wiard and some of the Wiard was then available in frac. Now the Wiard jones is most easily sated by Malekko's euro modules (which is a good thing, they'd gotten nearly unobtainable) so maybe those folks are less interested in frac.

Some wigglers have gone bananas lately and sold off frac (and everything else) to raise cash for that. Adventurous Serge fans can have fun bananafying frac modules. They are generally easier to do than euro modules and the frames are cheap so it's fairly painless to get started.

If anything is diminishing frac it's probably the mind numbing amount of stuff that's available in euro format.
Adam-V
BananaPlug wrote:
If anything is diminishing frac it's probably the mind numbing amount of stuff that's available in euro format.

I think that's the clincher right there. There's just so much really cool Euro based stuff becoming available from a multitude of manufactures at the moment.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Monobass
Mood Organ wrote:

care to explain?
krisp14u
I for one intended to do all the Oakley 3U modules in both Euro and Frac but it looks like it will be Euro only from me

I still haven't broken even on the panels for the VCA and Ring Mod
The Overdrive was a disaster (my fault) and has just about been scraped only the little Lag made me any money so looks like I won't be doing frac no more

I have no Euro and a growing 6 case frac rack system which I love

I will just have to get schaeffer panels for my self for the new filter when it comes out waah

I tried supporting Frac but It didn't support me Dead Banana
Mood Organ
Monobass (Née funtykigs) wrote:
Mood Organ wrote:

care to explain?

When nobody makes Beta tapes, it quickly becomes pretty lame to own a Beta player.

When less developers make MacOS apps, it doesn't make Mac useless. There's less selection, but a lot of what is there is very good. Maybe a few things are even better.

With Frac, you don't get all the crazy new Euro modules, but you can still build one mothereffing cool modular.
kryptic
fluxmonkey wrote:
Encore (freq shifter).

I don't know, think about it...

Yeah, oakly has come out with a couple modules, as did Synthasonics and VOC, but think about all the brands that left.

Bananalogue was awesome, and I was looking forward to what they would come up with next...but they ditched the format.

MOTM looked awesome with the laundry list of modules they said they would be coming out with, but they released the first 4 then apparantly ditched the format as well.

STG looked promising as well, and I always looked forward to what he would do next, but he ditched the format.

Cyndustries Zerosc was dope, as was the promise of more modules in the future...but she apparantly decided against it and ditched the format as well.

So while there have been some new stuff, the amount of stuff that left the format or never even arrived because the maufacturer decided against the frac format is huge.

I kinda wish I had gone with euro now, seeing as how the innovation and amount of cool modules coming out nowadays is amazing...but a few years back frac was where it was at. I love frac and all, but every time I would see a module I wanted, by the time I had the money saved up for it, they always seemed to be permanently discontinued...
Cat-A-Tonic
I can't see why more people don't do mixed systems.
Frac and Euro interface very well.

Think about all the functionality packed into something like the Blacet Super VCA, or the EG1.
In Euro, if you want similar functionality you have what, Cwejman?
Now, look at the price difference, and the option of kits.

My 6U of Euro is a nice extension to my 18U of Frac.
I know there are plenty of other folks that use both formats too.
suitandtieguy
kryptic wrote:
STG looked promising as well, and I always looked forward to what he would do next, but he ditched the format.

i "ditched" it because of low sales and realising the solution to the problem of the frac and euro divide was cheaper euro infrastructure, not supporting two different 3U formats (in addition to two 5U formats).

also there's no 5V rail in frac or MOTM, so the sequencers would have _had_ to have a regulator, which is silly because since they only needed 5V they could run off a 5 dollar wallwart (if someone was budget minded and just needed sequencing) instead of _having_ to use an expensive (in comparison) power supply.
Monobass
Mood Organ wrote:
Mood Organ wrote:

care to explain?

When nobody makes Beta tapes, it quickly becomes pretty lame to own a Beta player.

When less developers make MacOS apps, it doesn't make Mac useless. There's less selection, but a lot of what is there is very good. Maybe a few things are even better.

With Frac, you don't get all the crazy new Euro modules, but you can still build one mothereffing cool modular.

but less developers aren't making MacOS apps.. and Apple have 10% of a mindboggingly huge market. So not a very good analogy! I'm guessing what you actually meant is you like MacOS and Frac best? wink
Mood Organ

but less developers aren't making MacOS apps.. and Apple have 10% of a mindboggingly huge market. So not a very good analogy! I'm guessing what you actually meant is you like MacOS and Frac best? wink

Of course less developers make Mac apps, as compared with Windows. It was worse in the 90s, though.

My analogy may not be great but it's certainly not as flawed as the Betamax one. A module is much more like an app than media. A modular synth is not a playback device, it is a tool.

I like Frac fine but I have zero problem with Euro. I sure thinks Windows sucks, but I'm hardly alone in that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1