MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Post pics of your frac setup!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Post pics of your frac setup!
eyehue

the top two fracs i just got last night, i am "babysitting" them for anomos while he is in japan for five months.

i was messing around with the patch shown this weekend, and here are some noises from it:
http://www.anomos.net/VP/eyehue-LaborDaySketch2008.mp3

let's see some more frac modular pics!
parasitk
Love the milk crate rack!

Here's my most recent pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parasitk/2799637501/
Kwote
oooohhh. a chance to show off. i'm in. i'll upload tonight.
DGTom
parasitk wrote:
Love the milk crate rack!

Damned metric milk crates are no good for anything!! except bookcases lol

That is a damned good idea eyehue!

Waiting is the hardest part!!!!
Moog$FooL$
i too love the milk crate rack!! applause
how well does the circuit bent 505 play with your modules??
eyehue
haha, everyone loves the milkcrate fracs more than my mp3 or my custom frac cases! that's actually the rack i am "babysitting" for anomos, so cheers to anomos! Guinness ftw!

the bent 626 works nice with the modular when using the I/O module, however, my yamaha rx5 does way better sending midi to the midi to cv.
Kwote

maybe i should've cropped out the 310A Controller since it's not frac...

naaaahhhhhh. anyways, not pictured is my 2nd dual filter. i had to derack it to make space for the NoiseRing. but i'm not too worried. i'll be getting a 12u case sometime in the near future.. just for the dual filter!!!! sike! hihi i also have a blacet mult/atten sitting on the sidelines. poor little mult/atten waah
BugBrand
Niceness!

Here's my ghetto styles.....

(there's a little Gaken synth top-right, too)
wetterberg
bug, I am really digging the suitcase rig! Is it a custom, or some kind of Zero Halliburton shit?
BugBrand
Thanks!
Yeah, I did it myself a few months ago.
Not actually the strongest case to begin with (£25 job from Maplin a few years ago) - but I've put several horizontal wood struts inside (plus DIYed rack rails) which gives it much more stability than it had before.
One good thing of using this case was that the final weight isn't too much - unlike a proper flight case - but then I'd not trust it in an airplane hold - I've taken it on as carry on luggage on (sl)easyjet just fine (security are generally more interested in it than worried about bomb-i-ness).
I'd looked at some other case options, but things like the pelicase range can't have their lids removed (and they're quite $$$)
Cheers!
Muff Wiggler
holy crap Kwote, I haven't seen your system in a while... that is really REALLY nice!!! What cases have you bolted your fracs into? really streamlined and nice looking. That's a very lovely system, it has matured very well my friend 8)

and Tom - what can I say, just awesome. As always your DIY skills and unique style shine through - really unique and fun system, looks like a blast!!!
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
holy crap Kwote, I haven't seen your system in a while... that is really REALLY nice!!! What cases have you bolted your fracs into? really streamlined and nice looking. That's a very lovely system, it has matured very well my friend 8)

it's an skb roto 6u and skb roto 8u. it's on the cheaper end of skb but nice and sturdy and stacks together perfectly. can't wait to get the 12u. it's gonna be hella fun filling that thing up.
eyehue
i always thought the bugbrand stuff was beautiful.
Kent
BugBrand wrote:

(there's a little Gaken synth top-right, too)

Hey, I've always wondered what those Gakens sound like. Is it cool? Time for some mp3 samples?
Cat-A-Tonic
A friend of mine is an editor and project designer for Gakken (an educational publishing company in Japan).
He hooked me up with a theremin kit and a vacuum tube radio kit. 8)
I recommended him to do a project like the old stylophone.
I wonder if the Gakken SX-150 came from that recommendation....
Muff Wiggler
stickied this important thread 8)
Kwote
you're on a sticky rampage. things could get.. uhh.. sticky. i guess. d'oh!
BugBrand
eyehue wrote:
i always thought the bugbrand stuff was beautiful.

Thanksyou kindly.
I always think colour (dials and I/O) is an important aspect - part for eye-candy, but mainly for semi-concious visual cues.. I think it makes things much more easily apparent.

On Gaken --

Cat-a-tonic -- wow, that's cool if so! Having had a look around it seems like they've done some really interesting projects. The SX150 hardly requires any building, so I'd be interested to hear how the other things compare. How's the Tube stuff? They've got a tube-hifi-amp too, I think?

Its certainly a fun little gizmo, though I haven't used it much really - the sounds aren't all that much, but its an interesting interface and features (way over the stylophone, but pretty plasticy in feel) -- it was more a case of 'I WANT' once I saw about it on Matrixsynth. A friend in japan then managed to procure a copy and send it over. The accompanying magazine is fun too!
matt.patey
Here's mine... Case still needs some work, but I find angled panels really works well for modulars.

parasitk
matt.patey wrote:
Here's mine... Case still needs some work, but I find angled panels really works well for modulars.

Wow, beautiful cabinet!
Kent
Gorgeous concept and execution there.
GCF
matt.patey wrote:

What are those frac cases? It looks like you have removed all the rack ears.
J.w.M.
@Matt.patey-- That's a beautiful cabinet. nice work!
@ Kwote -- Holy camoley. Your system is tons different from when I last saw it. It's truly a serious rig! It looks so well-balanced... Tons of fun.
@ Bugbrand-- Now I'm lusting after that suitcase modular. Great stuff!!!
matt.patey
Thanks for the nice comments everyone :-)

GCF wrote:
What are those frac cases? It looks like you have removed all the rack ears.

They're Blacet cases that I sawed in half then removed the ears from the front.
Cat-A-Tonic
Bug:
Quote:
I always think colour (dials and I/O) is an important aspect - part for eye-candy, but mainly for semi-concious visual cues.. I think it makes things much more easily apparent.

I feel the same way. I've been doing the color coding for knob function too.
Your system is a DIY MONSTER! Much respect. we're not worthy

That's a nice case M. Patey. What kind of wood is that? Are you planning to lug it around to live gigs?
Muff Wiggler
My synth FINALLY has the sort of enclosure it deserves, and a layout that works and is fun to use. It's about damn time mad

Little Blacet closeup -

If you missed the thread in the DIY forum, details on how and why I built these new stands can be found here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1580&postdays=0&post order=asc&start=0
Muff Wiggler
oh yeah, the eurorack you see on the far right is only there as temporary housing. I have four more frac frames which will complete that tower once I get the modules to go in them. I will eventually transfer the Eurorack rig into a 12U tourcase.

ps. sorry I haven't been around the last 2-3 days. I owe lots of PMs and emails. Between this project and the new baby in the house, I haven't touched the computer in a couple days. I'll catch up with you all tomorrow. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
BugBrand
Mike --- holy carp! That is amazing!
Muff Wiggler
BugBrand wrote:
Mike --- holy carp! That is amazing!

oops thanks!!! it came out better than i thought it would.... i'm pretty surprised to be honest!

ps. spot the weevil in the first pic 8)
wetterberg
just four joysticks? tssk. wink

here's hoping you'll find enough time in the near future to actually play your rig.

Guinness ftw!
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
My synth FINALLY has the sort of enclosure it deserves, and a layout that works and is fun to use. It's about damn time mad

Little Blacet closeup -

If you missed the thread in the DIY forum, details on how and why I built these new stands can be found here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1580&postdays=0&post order=asc&start=0

this deserves a quad slayer badger

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Kwote
matt.patey wrote:

what's the module or modules on the very bottom righthand corner? it appears the pots are going down in a diagonal. eek!
Kwote
J.w.M. wrote:
@ Kwote -- Holy camoley. Your system is tons different from when I last saw it. It's truly a serious rig! It looks so well-balanced... Tons of fun.

i'm trying my best. mostly came at the expense of my record collection, which is significantly thinned out now. however i still have hundreds of classic records left over so i can't complain. and the latest incarnation of my modular more than makes up for it. a worthy trade!
matt.patey
Kwote wrote:
matt.patey wrote:

what's the module or modules on the very bottom righthand corner? it appears the pots are going down in a diagonal. eek!

If only they were Frac versions of Buchla 292s... ;-) But no, they are a pair of Blacet EG-1s.
Muff Wiggler
nice job on the case Matt! Looks great.

That Ad Infinitum mult doesn't really fit though hihi

want to sell it?
Muff Wiggler

want to sell it?
matt.patey
Muff Wiggler wrote:

Little Blacet closeup -

Wow that is amazing... You've ordered some Wiard 300 stuff, haven't you? Will you try fit it in the same case?
matt.patey
Muff Wiggler wrote:

want to sell it?

Thanks 8)

I actually considered PMing you about it but then I'd have a 1U blank in the case eek! I've been thinking of how to make it fit, and the only solution I can come up with is to saw off 3/4 inch off of each ear then somehow mount it directly to the case.
Muff Wiggler
matt.patey wrote:
Wow that is amazing... You've ordered some Wiard 300 stuff, haven't you? Will you try fit it in the same case?

Yep, I've paid for four modules, and will add two more to the order soon, and receive a 6-module system in a racking panel sometime around Christmas.

I plan to get a second 6-module panel in 2009.

I won't be racking it with this frac stuff you see here though, I will be building a new, Wiard-specific case for it
matt.patey
Muff Wiggler wrote:
matt.patey wrote:

Yep, I've paid for four modules, and will add two more to the order soon, and receive a 6-module system in a racking panel sometime around Christmas.

I won't be racking it with this frac stuff you see here though, I will be building a new, Wiard-specific case for it

Oh man, I'm so jealous we're not worthy
Muff Wiggler
believe me, so am I hihi

This was the system I wanted from long ago....before I got into modulars. When I finally got into modulars, I was going to order one - and they were discontnued at the time. So I went frac instead to get the Wiard 1200 stuff.

The 300 is the piece of gear I have always wanted more than anything else - more than a Synthi, more than a Buchla, more than anything. I still sorta feel like I'm dreaming and can't believe it's paid for and being built. Seriously can't wait.

This was one of the reasons I renovated my frac system. It was looking too low-rent to sit anywhere close to a Wiard 300 hihi
matt.patey
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
That's a nice case M. Patey. What kind of wood is that? Are you planning to lug it around to live gigs?

Thanks smile The case is made from pieces of pine that were glued together then sanded down to make it seamless (all done by the manufacturer). I don't play live shows actually, so for the time being it's permanently in my small studio. Even if I did play live I think it'd be a little on the heavy/cumbersome side to do so.
neandrewthal
Muff Wiggler wrote:
matt.patey wrote:

Can I come play with it in 5 years when I'm done with school and moving to Auto-Wah? love
Muff Wiggler
hell yes! w00t
kidtesla
Love the new stands! love Nice job muff!!
synthetic
Great job, Muff. That looks amazing. It's like a techno-pagan altar. I also give it four Slayer Badgers.

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Cat-A-Tonic
Muff, that setup looks WAY better than what you were rockin' before.
Nice work, and props for building a unique, classy, super cheap solution for the home studio! SlayerBadger!
scozbor
thanks to a few posts around here I got myself a great new case from IKEA!
$45. perfectly fits 3 blacet racks + 1 standard rack. I just screwed the racks straight into the wood which was a bit crappy because it's just that cheap chipboard type stuff. All good though .. and stoked! Mr. Green

DGTom
Very Nice!

What IKEA unit is that, I was toying with the idea of using a couple of Rast bedside tables which was posted here, but this looks like a good option as well!

I guess you could re-inforce the sides before screwing into them as well. Looks pretty close to the edge, be ok as long as racks don't go in & out.
scozbor
Yeah the only reason I didnt use the Rast bedside table is because they didnt have any in stock. I think this one is called EINA. Its also a bedside table.
Luka
hey scoz what is the module in the top right corner in that first pic?

im trying to study functional density before i finalize my deisngs and etch my faceplates

can you actually tweak those knobs without tweezer?
how much room is between then?
scozbor
top right corner? you mean the blacet LFO?

maybe you mean top left corner? The densely packed thing?
thats a luna modular dual VCF >> http://www.somaticcircuits.com/

Its way too tightly packed. I was trying to conserve space, but I am actually re-designing this panel into 3 frack spaces.

I can tweak the knobs fine. they are 14mm diameter i think. you should see the back though eek!
Luka
oh yeah thats the one haha
cool thanks for info
DGTom
scozbor wrote:
Yeah the only reason I didnt use the Rast bedside table is because they didnt have any in stock. I think this one is called EINA. Its also a bedside table.

I wonder why 19"s makev such good bedside tables... hhhhmmm, I"m sure there is an innuendo there somewhere razz
GCF
scozbor wrote:

What are modules #2 and 4 in the bottom row? It looks like the last one has a unicorn on it.
Muff Wiggler
that's the Ken Stone Unicorn 8)

it's on all the CGS PCB's

so....it's some Ken Stone module... but which one??

great work scozbor!! looks awesome hyper
neandrewthal
I want unicorns on my panels love :(

I think it's a super psycho LFO.
scozbor
neandrewthal wrote:
I want unicorns on my panels love :(

I think it's a super psycho LFO.

you're right! super psycho LFO.

I made the panel by printing it out on a good printer and using clear adhesive paper to stick it to the panel. it didn't come out too bad!

I couldn't resist putting the unicorn on there!

module 2 in the bottom row is the synthasonic MFOS phaser. I love it!
J.w.M.
That's a pro-looking panel on that super psycho LFO, scozbor!
Nice-looking case, too.
parasitk
scozbor wrote:

module 2 in the bottom row is the synthasonic MFOS phaser. I love it!

Well let's hear it then! w00t
Babaluma
Roycie Roller
Babaluma wrote:

Lovely setup Babaluma! The blue of the Wiard controller is beautiful. Goes well with the Chandler!
Babaluma
yeah, they'd look nice next to each other 8)

i really need a 16u case for the main synth/sequencer/controller bits. i think i'll keep the effects rack separate.
Cybananna
Here's my frac system.

and the rest of the system

J.w.M.
Great looking system, Cybanana! I'd definitely like to have a WVX (and a bunch of the other modules) in my system.
Thanks for sharing!
parasitk
I really want a second Quad VCA. Nice rack!
Cybananna
I'm curious to see what Blacet has up his sleeve for a replacement. It's such a nice module.
photon
Heres a recent shot of my set-up. I've moved it down to the basement temporarily while I had some electrical work done in the studio. It should be coming back up tomorrow.

Row 1: Thomas Henry XRVCO, Mankato, Clangora, Klangwerk

Row 2: MFOS VCO, CGS Analog Shift Register (not finished), Synthacon Filter, MOTM Sub-Octave Multiplexer, Blacet Mixer, dual Bugbrand Pattern Generator

Row 3: MFOS VCO, MOTM Noise/S+H, Korg PS3100 Resonators clone (Fonik), Multiple, CGS Pulse Divider / Boolean logic, Dual Low Pass Gate

Row 4: SNVoice, Standard #3 Wogglebug x2, MFOS Envelope Gen, MFOS LFO, CGS Super Psycho LFO
eyehue
awesome setup, photon! lovin the brass frac panels! did u design all the front panels yourself? i'm pretty sure my mankato panels are a variant of your design. great work!
parasitk
photon wrote:
Heres a recent shot of my set-up. I've moved it down to the basement temporarily while I had some electrical work done in the studio. It should be coming back up tomorrow.

Hey it's you! We were just talking about your panels in another thread. Definitely the most beautiful DIY panels I have ever encountered. Wonderful work. we're not worthy
neandrewthal
Beautful, as always, Photon. Especially the super psycho lfo. It's in a class of it's own love

Quick question, though: That's a pretty good sized system, so how do you get by with only one envelope and no DC coupled VCA's?

I can patch for days without any of those, but when I do use them, I always wish I had more, more help
Kwote
oh yes the classic SN Voice panel!! you should throw your two cents into that thread photon.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1211
photon
thanks everybody.

eyehue- yeah, The panels are my own designs. Thanks, I'm glad you like them.

parasitk- Cool! I'll check that out

neandrewthal--Very astute of you to notice, but I'm working on it! I've got a Thomas Henry VCA-1 that I'm building right now, a Dual Thomas Henry VCA (from the 21st Century Synth book) thats in the wings, and a dual MOTM VCA that needs debugging.

I've also got another MFOS EG board w/ all the parts, plus 4 Buchla 281 function generator pcbs that are going into the controller that I'm building. Phew.

Kwote- thanks, I will.

I'm excited to get started on the controller. Its going to be arranged horizontally and the two units will nest together, Voltron-Style. I'm almost finished with the first module, Blacet's voltage controlled clock w/ event arranger from synapse magazine, circa '78.
BugBrand
Yep - brass looks wonderful.
Brass-o-licious
x
photon
thanks, Bugs.
BTW, I'm loving your dual presets/pattern gen... I'm so glad I built it.
6.4 Billion
photon wrote:

Wow, nice job. brass panels and serge style knobs look amazing!
parasitk
The latest:

Plague Bearer in its new home.

Woo - space left for the new Klang Werk and a second VCO. Then I need to figure something out for a Mankato... help

http://flickr.com/photos/parasitk/sets/72157605069885400/
Kwote
i'm kinda in the same position. 4 frack racks filled and the wiard 310A Controller. that's 14u filled. i have 4 modules in a drawer waiting for my next skb which i can't afford right now :(
parasitk
I have two more empty fracs and a ps500 all ready and waiting to go... but I'll also need a new rack for them - and I'm trying to keep them in 12u increments.
Kwote
parasitk wrote:
I have two more empty fracs and a ps500 all ready and waiting to go... but I'll also need a new rack for them - and I'm trying to keep them in 12u increments.

werd. i got an empty blacet rack too. i'm with you on the 12u setup.

before i was thinking 6u for portability. than i thought 8u so i could jam a wiard controller in there(not even knowing how or when i'd get one). and now i've officially come to the conclusion that blocks of 12u is spot on.

my plans for 2009 should fill two 12u cases no prob. then after that i have to invent space in this cramped ass apartment.
DGTom
My Blacet modules have invaded my Euro rack!

.. but I'm content now that I can make 3 VCO detuned sawtooth sounds! SlayerBadger!
GCF
I was just thinking about how I have to do this. Do the screw holes on the Fracs not match up to the Euro's in terms of height? I know they won't match side to side. But getting at least 1 or 2 screws to secure it would be nice.
DGTom
I could get 1 screw in & it would need to be a long one because of the lip on the euro rack, if your rails are the moving nut type you could get 2 screws in, but as you can see mine are floating help
GCF
Thanks Tom. That makes a lot of sense. I just noticed that your frac modules in the eurorack are resting slightly below being lined up vertically. And my euroracks do have moving nuts, so the horizontal shouldn't be a problem.

If you can remove the threaded inserts on your rack you could easily do the same. I just cut every other hole on some threaded inserts to make small one hole nuts. I find it works pretty well.
DGTom
yeah its not very pretty... things are kind of tucked in, so they aren't about to fall out but I need to sort it out.

GCF wrote:
If you can remove the threaded inserts on your rack you could easily do the same. I just cut every other hole on some threaded inserts to make small one hole nuts. I find it works pretty well.

My inserts are removable, I wondered if that'd work, cool, its not been an issue with a massive 2 modules in there but its good to know.
johnnymad
[/img]
tragedybysyntax

Well there she is for now.
Top row is Pulse Divider Logic, Oakley Lag, Sequential Switch
2nd row is MOTM Ladder Filter, Miniwave, VCS, EG1, Improb Drive
3rd row is CV'd Fuzz Factory, Plague Bearer, 808 kick
I'm making a panel for a CGS mixer and a CGS super psycho LFO this week or next. Then I'm going to snag a Blacet I/O ASAFP. She plays very nicely with the euro case ontop of what u see here.
neandrewthal
I`d get rid of those fugly MOTM knobs too, but now it`s naked MY ASS IS BLEEDING
tragedybysyntax
lol, yeah... trying to find a knob I like to go on there. Also for the VCS i'm doing the same silver faced ones that are on the sequencer. And yellow knobs come in for the improb.
BananaPlug
Quote:

I'm thinking of setting up two 3u racks with about a 60/40 mix of frac and euro. Putting frac in a euro rack doesn't work out so well but it looks like putting euro modules in a frac rack will work great. You just have to do some precise drilling and clump a group of euro modules together such that they add up to a multiple of 1.5 inches. Of course you need +/-12 power and distro too. Have you seen this done anywhere?
Cat-A-Tonic
BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:

I'm thinking of setting up two 3u racks with about a 60/40 mix of frac and euro. Putting frac in a euro rack doesn't work out so well but it looks like putting euro modules in a frac rack will work great. You just have to do some precise drilling and clump a group of euro modules together such that they add up to a multiple of 1.5 inches. Of course you need +/-12 power and distro too. Have you seen this done anywhere?

Choosing Euro modules to fit in to groups of 1.5" seems to me like an awful lot of hassle.

I would either:
get 3 Fracs and 3 Euroracks for a 50/50 mix,
4 Fracs (better use of 2 power supplies) and 2 Euroracks for a 2/3 mix,
(3 Euroracks if you want to make the best use of 1 power supply) would give you a 43/57 mix.

OR you could skip the racks altogether (save a TON of money for modules)
and build a wooden case with wooden rales and conductive tape under the Euro sections.
(this would also spare you the tragedy of wasted space in Frac rack ears)
Roycie Roller
I have Euro modules in my frac rack..It is a pain in the cods because the Euro faceplates are a millimetre or two taller than the rack frame, so stacked racks may be a problem. However, if you were to screw the faceplate in from the bottom, and sit them in the top rack (without a lid), you'd be fine.
All four holes in a Euro faceplate can't align with the rails of a Blacet rack at the same time, ie. You'd have to drill two new ones, either at the top or the bottom of the faceplate.
I agree with Cat-A-Tonic, in that it would be much easier to DIY a custom rack 'n rails.
BananaPlug
Quote:
Choosing Euro modules to fit in to groups of 1.5" seems to me like an awful lot of hassle.

The mixed rack would probably be 6"of frac and 54hp of euro stuff.

The only reason I'm considering a mixed format 3u rack is to come up with a reasonably portable instrument, leaving the rest behind. You make a good point about skipping the rack altogether but if I rack them I can easily pull the racks out of the portable box and return them to the larger studio rack.

Quote:
the Euro faceplates are a millimetre or two taller than the rack frame

But they are shorter than Frac panels, which is another reason putting frac into euro doesn't work so well. I'd drill all new holes for them so they're centered top to bottom. A little finicky cause the holes would be near the edges of the rails.

Another way to go about it: This time starting with a euro rack and adding two frac modules at one end. Cut 2 thin strips of wood, screw them into the euro holes, then screw the frac modules into that. They'd stick out a little bit but what the heck. Easier than all that tricky drilling.

Edit: I built it as described above. (pix)
DGTom
BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:

This is sort of what I'm planning, but more of a 2 to 1 Frac / Euro split. I totally get why, for a live rig, it would be awesome to have a combo 3U set-up, but I think its more trouble than its worth. The size factor is just the start.

This document off the Elby designs site explains it pretty logically. For me the biggest put off was the idea of having the 2 voltages / distro all in the same rack would make for some very frustrating

I only have those Blacets there because I won't be getting a new frac rack until next year - or until I can fabricate an alternative, I would love to bypass the ears on the blacet racks to get a wee bit more useable space!
Babaluma
a few very recent images, since i got my new case yesterday! w00t

i'm going to swap the mobius for my other frac rack (with the time machines and phaser etc) once i've had the final "ear" mods done, and use the mobius with the wooden end cheeks as a desktop unit.
GCF
Babaluma wrote:
i'm going to swap the mobius for my other frac rack (with the time machines and phaser etc) once i've had the final "ear" mods done, and use the mobius with the wooden end cheeks as a desktop unit.

Are you doing those mods yourself? They look really nice.
parasitk
Looks great! SlayerBadger!
Babaluma
GCF wrote:
Are you doing those mods yourself? They look really nice.

nope, michael ford from metalbox does them for me (along with the attenuator/mult 1u panels), he does a fantastic job and is very reasonably priced.
Cat-A-Tonic
Your NiceRacks case turned out really pretty Babaluma.
I just put the wooden rails on my ghetto DIY case which is pretty much the evil twin of yours.
Hopefully pics will follow soon.
I've been taking it really slow with the hand tools trying to get it just right.
It still has to be stained.
Babaluma
thanks cat-a-tonic. i'm well impressed with the case to be honest. i decided to go for a "flat" shape rather than an "L" shape in the end to conserve space. your earlier recommendation of 11 inches depth has worked out perfectly, there's about an inch to spare after the ps500s mounted on the back.

looking forward to seeing your case, admire your d.i.y. determination!
Cat-A-Tonic
I too abandoned the 'L-shape' idea as I plan to build a separate 'controllers' cabinet for the tall one to sit on.
The current cabinet is as a result VERY similar to yours.
Same height, but slightly shallower at 9.5".
I chose to mount my power supplies inside the Frac racks to slim it down.
Babaluma
coolio! i thought about trying to mount the psu's inside, but when i looked none of my racks would have space anywhere (i have a psu for each rack) due to long modules, mainly the blacet ones.

hey we should try and get together again and make some musick!
Muff Wiggler
hard to say what forum to put my pics in anymore, but the system is still mostly frac, so I'll put 'em in here...

some new pics

Kent
Whassah yellow TM-series lookin' boxen?
Muff Wiggler
'tis my ICONsWeevil

Pulse Emitter
here's my ugly beast. all handmade. i rather like the rough look! twisted there's actually a lot there: 4 vcos, 4 lfos, 6 vcfs, 4 ring mods, 4 mixers, 4 lags, plus inverters, vcas, more... not much to look at i admit--function over form. but all Frac!
that's my live performance rack on top btw.
perky
looks wonderfull SlayerBadger!
revtor
I love the look!!!!

Any words about the Paia vocoder? ive got one lying around and am wondering if I should plan to put it in the current rack...
thanks
Pulse Emitter
thanks!

you've got a good eye recognizing the vocoder in there. i never use it with a mic, just with synth signals. combines them in unique ways. lots of gain too, crazy noise and crackle possible!
Moog$FooL$
i like your work P.E.!! SlayerBadger!
obscure knobs & hand done... that sorta thing!!
Pulse Emitter
thanks! scavenging knobs is fun...
Moog$FooL$
Pulse Emitter wrote:
thanks! scavenging knobs is fun...

hup hup!!

i've not been as lucky as u (by the look of your rig), but i've found some bakelights & those old RCA style knob that seem to have been used in Canada a lot back in the 60's. depressing to think how much potentially salvageable gear get's thrown into the dump.

care to share your secrets on were to find/scavenge?? hmmm.....
Pulse Emitter
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
care to share your secrets on were to find/scavenge?? hmmm.....

ah well, i haven't scored much lately. there used to be 2 surplus stores in town, one closed, one moved way out in the burbs (need to make a trip out now that i think of it...). but anytime i see a piece of equipment lying on the street broken, i'll take the knobs off it!
dkcg
Muff Wiggler wrote:
'tis my ICONsWeevil

I love the graphics on that thing! How does it sound? smile
Muff Wiggler
dkcg wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:
'tis my ICONsWeevil

I love the graphics on that thing! How does it sound? smile

i do too! it sounds clicky and buzzy and droney, as a weevil should love
tragedybysyntax
Welp! Finally housed my Frac into a portable solution.... YAY!

Hmmm... what's behind door number 1?

Bamm! So... I have a Blacet I/O coming in today with power cables for my CGS Super Psycho LFO and CGS Mixer. I'll post new pics once I get the panels made and this baby is a lil more full. However... she's sexxy. smile

And here she is playing with my euro rack ontop into my VOX amp. Was a blast yesterday patching up drones and playing along the drumkit with it...... Can't wait to get the I/O so I can start running piezo's from the kit into my sequencing modules! F YES F YES F YES! smile
parasitk
So you ended up with one of those 12U EWI racks from Audiopile after all! Did you manage to snag that 10" deep one?
tragedybysyntax
Yeap! That is the 10" deep one. Last one till April... Going to order atleast 1 more. Thanks so much for the heads up bro! Love this case. smile
parasitk
Awesome, looks great. I really want two of those in that depth. Sucks to wait till april. I hate gigging with this huge, ugly, flimsy SKB rack. very frustrating
tragedybysyntax
Thinking about ordering some modules today to stuff this baby.... hahaha. Might order a noisering and an stg wavefolder smile
scozbor
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Might order a noisering and an stg wavefolder smile

good luck with the noise ring.
Grant refunded my money and said he would not be able to complete the order in the foreseeable future sad
tragedybysyntax
Really? makes sense why he never called me back....... FUCK. Well.. guess I'll order an encore frequency shifter. smile
tragedybysyntax
Any opinions on what would be nice to fill up my frac with? smile
neandrewthal
more metalbox love
Kent
Foreign currencies are lookin' good these days.
BananaPlug
I've been surprised by how handy my Binary Zone is. Aside from cranking out minimalist sequences you can use it as a simple divider (just turn up one knob). The reset input makes both of those applications more useful.

It also has a trigger output which works with internal or external clock so you can use the module as a gate to trigger converter.

It's nice to pair it up with a sequencer, using the sequencer for pitch and the BZ to modulate a filter then playing around with the reset or the clock source so the modulation and the pitch sequence are not lining up the same way all the time. Try this with a fat FM sound.

Mix the BZ with a slow sequence for a pseudo-arpeggiator effect. If you're using it for pitches having some kind of quantizer makes tuning it much easier
tragedybysyntax
I had a binary zone... i should get one again.
Also thinking... metalbox vc divider, burst, and comporator. smile
Cat-A-Tonic
What other modules did you have before that you got rid of, and why?

I assume you are using the Euro & Frac together as the only oscillator you have in Frac is the VCS.

I recommend a Blacet Window Comparator. *swiss army knife* love
It is really useful for working around so many patch problems.
Different brands of oscillator won't sync - Window Comp. makes it happen.
Need gates and/or triggers derived from anything - Window Comp.
Paired with the Binary Zone it adds gate/trigger sequencer functionality.
Need another ramp/saw(inverted) oscillator or LFO - Window Comp.
Want a VC nintendoesque digital fuzz - Window Comp.

Your ideas about:
STG Wavefolder love (amazing paired with I/O for processing externals)
Metalbox: Gated Comparator, VC Divider, Burst Generator
Encore Frequency Shifter
all sound exotic and good.
I'm doing those CGS ones DIY (though it'll take me quite a while yet).

You need BugBrand. 8)
parasitk
Mankato
Wave Folder
Window Comparator
Blacet VCO
Serge Panel
...wait what?
scozbor
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Well.. guess I'll order an encore frequency shifter. smile

thats exactly what I did with my noise ring refund! lol
D/A A/D

It's a start...
parasitk
Awesome! w00t The MiniWave is a great start!
D/A A/D
parasitk wrote:
Awesome! w00t The MiniWave is a great start!

Next mod will hopefully be the Buchla 258 clone that a friend is building me...

nanners
parasitk
Okay what? hyper
mono-poly
SlayerBadger!
D/A A/D
parasitk wrote:
Okay what? hyper

Yeah a friend is building a few 258 clones for his 200e, so he is building me a frac one. It will have linear and exponential FM that goes well into crazy... I am really excited for it!
parasitk
D/A A/D wrote:
parasitk wrote:
Okay what? hyper

Yeah a friend is building a few 258 clones for his 200e, so he is building me a frac one. It will have linear and exponential FM that goes well into crazy... I am really excited for it!

Okay I hate you now. hihi
D/A A/D
parasitk wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
parasitk wrote:
Okay what? hyper

Okay I hate you now. hihi

Hate me when I have it in my hands...
parasitk
D/A A/D wrote:
Hate me when I have it in my hands...

Okay fair enough, I'll wait then! hihi
tragedybysyntax
Pulled the trigger.... Ordered a Mankato (i have no osc in the frac anyway, lol. Also a metalbox vc divider and gated comporator!

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL. Now... I only have 2 frac spaces left in my case. smile
parasitk
Nice! I can't wait to order a Mankato very frustrating
perky
Where did you get those small yellow thingies to put on your switches?

D/A A/D wrote:

It's a start...
BananaPlug
And why did you take your pants off to work on that Frack rack?
mono-poly
BananaPlug wrote:

lol!
Babaluma
small bear? i just ordered a load, purple knobs too. ooh!
chamomileshark

"Dirty Knobby" (after the P.K.Dick'd sacred martian monolith) aka "The Black Tower", a Blacet, Wiard and Bananalogue frac (there are three multiples hanging in mid air out of shot.)
D/A A/D
perky wrote:
Where did you get those small yellow thingies to put on your switches?

Small Bear...

Babaluma wrote:
small bear? i just ordered a load, purple knobs too. ooh!

hihi

BananaPlug wrote:

I always do. nodnod
GCF
chamomileshark wrote:

Perhaps you like symmetry? Looks great.
Babaluma
my system is also very symmetrical. just can't help myself!
chamomileshark
I moved stuff around to get that symetry, it took a couple of years to get to that point. I suspect that's it for a while now. I also tried to persuade myself there was a logic in the layout, there is a basic left right flow which may or may not be a good thing.
Babaluma
i have wiard modules in the centre and the four cardinal points. took me about 5 years to get there Cthulhu
Babaluma
i took this photo tonight:

i am wondering about swapping the stonz and 2 x dual linear vca's in the bottom frac rack for a hex zone. i think she would feel comfortable between two time machines. twisted

what do you guys reckon?
DGTom
Love your rig Babaluma SlayerBadger!

Great use of the frac ears, that is a sweet spot for the CGS ASR!

You know, the Hex is so tiny, I've been thinking about putting one in a little desktop box. It just makes more sense to me that way, better suited for me than programming an LCD which is in a rack. That way you could have your cake & not sacrifice any VCAs hihi
Kent
Dear lord, Babaluma. That is some straight up Blacet/Frac sexiness. One of the best I've seen.
Mood Organ
Nice rig, Babaluma! Question: are those 19" mult/atten panels made by Metalbox?
cavage
hop, the first xxx freepic of my frack synth

smile

sorry a bit blurry, i just buyed a few days ago the camera and didnt had time to get on it ... it adds a bit of arty shades

w00t

acutally, doing some kind of sirens lost in noise, testing some trick read here and there about the hex and the binary zone smile
cavage
DGTom wrote:
Love your rig Babaluma SlayerBadger!

Great use of the frac ears, that is a sweet spot for the CGS ASR!

You know, the Hex is so tiny, I've been thinking about putting one in a little desktop box. It just makes more sense to me that way, better suited for me than programming an LCD which is in a rack. That way you could have your cake & not sacrifice any VCAs hihi

that's so rigth

i am very tide to edit my HEX faceplate
i was thinking of exactly the same and transform it table top, shouldnt be a big deal as it is quite slim module !
Kent
Very nice rig, cavage. I like your EHX collection too. How are those MOTM Frac modules? The dual VCA, Looping ADSR & Ladder filter really seem cool to me.
cavage
i love the motm frac modules
actually i havent the ladder filter, the only filter i have from motm is he GX VCF wivh i just loooooove so much, a hardcore, noisist filter to me but so ruuude smile
the motm envellope too i love a lot, strangely i fianly prefer it to the blacet one , more nervous, dunno ...
well, i am happy of this system wich have reach what i wanted in frac, i just so much each modules, either blacet, motm or STG ... all great
just have 2 units left aaaaargh, waiting a mixer blacet and then the final decisive choice of the LAST module smile

haha, exept if i outbox the hex and make it table top hehe
Babaluma
thanks for comments re: hex zone. am still undecided...

yes, all my custom work is done to an extremely high standard and fair price by michael ford from metalbox.

the motm ladder kicks ass, i recently posted an example of it doing some heavy acid.
cavage
heavy acid !
haha

sounds good smile do you have a link i dunno how to search for it ...

i heard that acid file posted by someone i didnt recall made it guess with the borg and sounded just so aciieeeed and dark ...

are the wiard frac modules readilly avalaible ? theyre site looks not updated altrougth nothing mention they cant be ordered ...
would love to finish the frac with a wiard module !
Babaluma
link for the moog acid marmalade:

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2712

'twas i who posted the borg 2 acid recently too...

the best way to find out about the wiard 1200 series is to call grant. the last we heard he's going to let some other enterprising individuals manufacture his designs. don't know when or who though. imho they are some of the best designs in the universe, and definitely the highest quality (build & sound) of any of the frac rack modules i have tried.
cavage
thanks for the info
i may not panic and wait and see who will get into building wiard liscences smile
i guess they have the character ... no problem ...
would have loved to have the borg and boogie at least...

i like the acid thing your into, for instance, i have a "taste question" preferance for the one you made with the borg wich sound more "sick" to me than this one wich is perfect in his style ...
i guess my acidcore education shows up here smile
Babaluma
cheers cavage. the more twisted the better! big acid fan here too. Cthulhu
cavage
even if acid is a vast territory
i'd say " DROP BASS NTW" for ever wink

(evo-we are evo, will stay as a corner stone to me )

just to talk music, off topic

i neeeeeeeeed a borg smile
cavage
just for curiosity's sake ...
what did originate in your two audio posts the acid 303 sound ??

one of the funny thing i found , really decredibilising the second hand crazy market on synths / modulars is that, since i have a "many dollars" modular system i havent been able even one time to aproach an emulation of the TB303 sound/groove ...
i love it because this helps keeping feets on the ground and stopping stupid discussions of synths VS modular VS clones or VS vsti's ...

maybe i dont have the skills and this should be a funny contest, who can do the most TB303ish patch on his modular ?

smile
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
funny contest, who can do the most TB303ish patch on his modular ?

I can't say that I'm really all that interested in emulating a TB-303,
(though Babaluma's demos were pretty F'ing cool)
but I do really enjoy those threads in which people share patch ideas
on ways to synthesize a certain type of instrument sound.
I remember a great one on brass, and another about drums.
I welcome more of this sort of thing, but not in the pics thread.
Babaluma
i love emulating 303's with my modular, but cat-a-tonic is right, we ought to start a new thread!

to quickly answer your questions i have around 40 frac modules, some i used to create those patches. a 303 patch usually takes around 10 modules and 30 patch cables. pm me or start a new thread if you want more detailed info.
Kwote
i just got a new skb 12u and the first 3u of it is filled. my 6u and 8u have been filled for awhile now. i'll have to throw up a shot soon. probably once the 12u is atleast half full which at this rate doesn't seem that long from now. smile
K9Mike
My modular is complete enough to finally warrant posting a pic:

My Blacet modular was intended as a companion to the ARP 2600, so I wanted a functional case to sort of reflect that. The main case (10u) has the same front panel angle as the 2600, and is offset from the base the same height, so when placed side by side, their profiles match exactly. The top "u" of the main case is currently a blank panel which is a place holder for a custom attenuator/multi panel.

The top case is 6u and exactly matches dimensions of the top of the main rack (it's front panel is not angled).

If you need a custom rack at extremely reasonable prices, I cannot recommend Pearson Cases highly enough. I had emailed them with a sketch of what I wanted on Monday, and the custom cases were on my doorstep on Friday. Besides being down right cheap, Pearson doesn't seem to charge any extra for custom vs. something they stock.

Anyway, the 2 open slots in the top frac rack are for Wiard filters, which I'm now wondering if I'll ever be able to fill. Perhaps I should look elsewhere to add filter variety.

- Mike
Kent
Wow. eek! That is simply classy & Beautiful.
consumed
here's an old pic of my frac at its peak, posted here for the record.
its become something newer and less blue recently.

Moog$FooL$
.......and less blue recently.

cry where'd they go???
K9Mike
Kent wrote:

Thanks! I do love the frac format for its high 'feature density' per unit size, although I must admit I am occasionally a wee bit jealous of the gorgeous cabinetry of some of the 5u modulars. Although it is certainly all about the sound, I wanted a case that had a tad more 'studio suite' and a bit less 'tech test bench' that my previous cases had.
consumed
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
.......and less blue recently.

cry where'd they go???

all but one of them (borg) were carefully distributed out to friends =)
Kwote
consumed wrote:
here's an old pic of my frac at its peak, posted here for the record.
its become something newer and less blue recently.

i know where the NoiseRing went. Guinness ftw!
Kwote
K9Mike wrote:
Kent wrote:

Thanks! I do love the frac format for its high 'feature density' per unit size, although I must admit I am occasionally a wee bit jealous of the gorgeous cabinetry of some of the 5u modulars. Although it is certainly all about the sound, I wanted a case that had a tad more 'studio suite' and a bit less 'tech test bench' that my previous cases had.

nice shit mike. you're almost catching up to me. minus the 2600 of course.
K9Mike
Kwote wrote:

Hah! Well, you'll probably stay firmly in the lead, since I am almost done with what I wanted (and what I have space for). I can add at most 2 more racks, but honestly, there are maybe 3 or 4 more modules on my "I'd like to have someday" list. And as much as I love the 2600 (and modulars), poly synths get priority for any 'stimulus package' funds that become available. smile
Kwote
K9Mike wrote:
Kwote wrote:

Hah! Well, you'll probably stay firmly in the lead, since I am almost done with what I wanted (and what I have space for). I can add at most 2 more racks, but honestly, there are maybe 3 or 4 more modules on my "I'd like to have someday" list. And as much as I love the 2600 (and modulars), poly synths get priority for any 'stimulus package' funds that become available. smile

actually i kinda like your setup better than mine. you've got more eg's, vca's & an extra vco vs. my 3 vco's. a lot of what you have as far as bread and butter and an extra miniwave is where i'm headed.

stimulus package? i didn't think we were getting direct cash this time around. details?
K9Mike
Kwote wrote:
K9Mike wrote:

actually i kinda like your setup better than mine. you've got more eg's, vca's & an extra vco vs. my 3 vco's. a lot of what you have as far as bread and butter and an extra miniwave is where i'm headed.

stimulus package? i didn't think we were getting direct cash this time around. details?

I'm less into noise / experimental stuff and tend to focus more on melodic so I went for more (exactly as you said) bread & butter modules. I am also a confessed VCO addict... between the Blacet (5) & 2600 (3), there's 8 (227 including all analog oscillators in that room hyper )

I do desperately want a VC-Phaser & VC-Flanger. The Blacet Stonz doesn't have enough stages for me... leaning toward the Moog MF-103, or perhaps, a JH Tau Pipe Phaser. I haven't found a VC-Flanger yet....I think Oakley has (or had) one.

As for Stimulus Package.. that was a feeble joke attempt.. referring to any extra cash I have at the end of the month that I can spend on these toys. hihi
sandyb
K9Mike wrote:

I haven't found a VC-Flanger yet....I think Oakley has (or had) one.

ask and ye shall find smile

http://www.modcan.com/bseries/flange.html
you can ask bruce at modcan to terminate the power cable with a blacet 4 pin connector.

sandy
Cat-A-Tonic
with the independent outs for LFO and delay that looks pretty damn nice.
K9Mike
sandyb wrote:
K9Mike wrote:

I haven't found a VC-Flanger yet....I think Oakley has (or had) one.

ask and ye shall find smile

http://www.modcan.com/bseries/flange.html
you can ask bruce at modcan to terminate the power cable with a blacet 4 pin connector.

sandy

Ooh, thanks! I knew I had seen one somewhere a while ago.
Kwote
K9Mike wrote:
Kwote wrote:
K9Mike wrote:

I'm less into noise / experimental stuff and tend to focus more on melodic so I went for more (exactly as you said) bread & butter modules. I am also a confessed VCO addict... between the Blacet (5) & 2600 (3), there's 8 (227 including all analog oscillators in that room hyper )

I do desperately want a VC-Phaser & VC-Flanger. The Blacet Stonz doesn't have enough stages for me... leaning toward the Moog MF-103, or perhaps, a JH Tau Pipe Phaser. I haven't found a VC-Flanger yet....I think Oakley has (or had) one.

As for Stimulus Package.. that was a feeble joke attempt.. referring to any extra cash I have at the end of the month that I can spend on these toys. hihi

oh you basterd hihi

anyway i might end up with 8 VCO's too. i need one more to have a four voice that i can control with my paia midi/cv but i kinda dig 2 VCO's per voice so..... ouch my bank account smile
K9Mike
Kwote wrote:

oh you basterd hihi

anyway i might end up with 8 VCO's too. i need one more to have a four voice that i can control with my paia midi/cv but i kinda dig 2 VCO's per voice so..... ouch my bank account smile

Why not go with the Moog model ... 3 VCOs per voice. lol
Kwote
K9Mike wrote:
Kwote wrote:

oh you basterd hihi

Why not go with the Moog model ... 3 VCOs per voice. lol

truth is i'm finding 3 to be a bit too much for one voice. 2 detuned seems about right for my style.
tragedybysyntax
I'll take one in modcan a please! wink
Muff Wiggler
Pretty overdue, pics of my current frac setup. Clearing out my camera's memory so I guess now is a good time.

First, here's the whole thing, including the Euro and BugBrand stuff that is only in here as a temporary measure:

Ok, some details. Tower One, Blacet central:

Tower Two, super crazy fun times:

Tower Three, expansion, future home of much sequencing:

And finally one more group shot, from off at an angle:

As mentioned, the BugBrand and Euro stuff is only in these frac towers as a temporary measure. Both of these will soon outgrow the space they have in here, and I want this space for my final phase of frac expansion, which is to add a bunch of sequencing stuff from Metalbox. Sequencing is the one area where this synth is very weak.

Once these three towers are filled with frac, this synth is complete and I am also finished with the Frac format. Any new modules will have to come at the cost of removing one from this rig to gain the space. I have all the empty racks and power needed to complete this expansion, just need the modules.

The BugBrand stuff will move to a desktop type of standalone housing, hopefully ultimately at 4 racks worth.

The Euro stuff will move into a 12U tourcase I bought for it, and then perhaps a second 12U tourcase stacked on top of that. I have 5 additional Euro frames (plus power supplies) needed to complete that growth, and that will represent the point at which the euro rig will be complete. At that stage I have no additional space for more modules, racks or frames. There will be the Frac (18 Frames) and Euro (8 Frames) rigs, my Suitcase Metasonix setup, and two desktop/standalone systems, BugBrand and Wiard 300. That's it for me folks. I'm amazed at how close I am at this point.

(Then I guess I will spend a few years getting nice preamps and eqs and other frontend stuff. Then maybe quiet for a few years and pay some big chunks of house off. Then serge? haha)
kidtesla
Muff Wiggler wrote:
super crazy fun times:

Drunken Homer Simpson zero Drunken Homer Simpson mankato Drunken Homer Simpson frac freque!!
tragedybysyntax
Honestly... I like buchla and serge but uhm.... I'd much rather go have fun at muff's house. Dood has it all in my eyes... what a ridiculously fucking sick system. WOW. smile
Muff Wiggler
wait for the sequencing wing to be finished. IMO that's what's seriously missing in order for this system to 'have it all'.
sandyb
Muff Wiggler wrote:
wait for the sequencing wing to be finished. IMO that's what's seriously missing in order for this system to 'have it all'.

what modules are going in there?
Muff Wiggler
pretty much all metalbox sequencing stuff
tragedybysyntax

I added a 3.1 plague bearer in that open spot. I LOVE!!! My frac system. Good choices I think on my part. I wish I had a noise ring but... what canya do. smile
Cat-A-Tonic
Those are some wild schoolhouse desks you're rockin' Lougi.
Where the hell did you get those, schoolhouse? yardsale? mystery hobo park?
Are you going to mod your 3.1 Plague Bearer for VC gain?
Is the STG Wavefolder your only VCA?!
Damn, those LEDs are bright; like staring at the sun while you patch away.
tragedybysyntax
Lol... good looking out! I actually saw them at a gradeschool down the street when they were clearing the place out. had to have them!!!
I've got the 3.1 and I had kevin toss the jack on the front panel for vc gain. So.. I has it!! And yeah... those blue led's are fucking BRIGHT AS FUCK. Almost thinking about going back and redoing all the blue to a different color. Hmmmmmmm..... After a while doing a patch it starts killin the fucking eyeballs. In person it's not as bad because I had this shit at long exposure but still.... I even put white nail polish on all the blue led's just to killem back a lil! Maybe I"ll go all red led's....
Cat-A-Tonic
tragedybysyntax wrote:
those blue led's are fucking BRIGHT AS FUCK. Almost thinking about going back and redoing all the blue to a different color. Hmmmmmmm..... After a while doing a patch it starts killin the fucking eyeballs. In person it's not as bad because I had this shit at long exposure but still.... I even put white nail polish on all the blue led's just to killem back a lil! Maybe I"ll go all red led's....

I think the large, purple LEDs on the STG Yves Usson Gate Delay are probably the prettiest in my system.
I would consider trying to find something similar to those for DIY projects and customization of modules that lack LEDs.
As an aside note: Is the Gate Delay still being made in Frac?
It doesn't appear to be on the STG site anymore, and the only ones that they have in stock at AH are MOTM format.
D/A A/D
Dark Star Chaos on it's way and I finally bought a PSU500, the miniwave will not look so sad anymore.
scozbor
new rack pics! modules are in random arrangement at the moment. waiting for next rack before I re-arrange.

things you might not recognise:
top row - mfos noise (temp panel) , cgs burst gen (temp panel) , motm 120 + tellun expansion
next row - dark side ssm2044 vcf
next row - yusynth dual saw animator
bottom - dual plague bearer
Kent
scozbor wrote:
new rack pics! modules are in random arrangement at the moment. waiting for next rack before I re-arrange.

things you might not recognise:
top row - mfos noise (temp panel) , cgs burst gen (temp panel) , motm 120 + tellun expansion
next row - dark side ssm2044 vcf
next row - yusynth dual saw animator
bottom - dual plague bearer

Beautiful!!! Let's hear 'em!
Randaleem
tragedybysyntax wrote:
And yeah... those blue led's are fucking BRIGHT AS FUCK. Almost thinking about going back and redoing all the blue to a different color. Maybe I"ll go all red led's....

Hi TBS!

You know you can change the current limit resistor(s) to decrease the Led's brightness? Might be easier than changing them to another color.
PM for details, if interested? Or ask a local Tech, it's an easy job.

Kind regards, Randal
scozbor
Randaleem wrote:
tragedybysyntax wrote:
And yeah... those blue led's are fucking BRIGHT AS FUCK. Almost thinking about going back and redoing all the blue to a different color. Maybe I"ll go all red led's....

Hi TBS!

You know you can change the current limit resistor(s) to decrease the Led's brightness? Might be easier than changing them to another color.
PM for details, if interested? Or ask a local Tech, it's an easy job.

Kind regards, Randal

I hit mine with a permanent marker thumbs up
Cat-A-Tonic
Here's a long overdue update of my studio Frac rig in its DIY Japanese cypress cabinet, and my portable Frac rig on top in a silver cardboard 'cabinet'.

Here is a close-up of the portable monosynth/processor in all its ghettoness.
Cardboard is very lightweight and is plenty durable taped around the Blacet Frac rack.
I put it in an over the shoulder bag (for sports equipment) when I take it out.

I swapped stuff in and out of the portable a couple of times before I settled on this group of modules.
I had to take the interior-mounted power supply into consideration for module placement.
The Blacet VCO was used to drive a Metasonix TM-3 Dual VCO.
I included the Klangwerk primarily for its huge gain boost (and for additional timbral shaping) so that I could use the system to process an Alesis AirSynth.
I controlled it with the Doepfer R2M ribbon controller.
parasitk
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Here's a long overdue update of my studio Frac rig in its DIY Japanese cypress cabinet, and my portable Frac rig on top in a silver cardboard 'cabinet'.

Minijack BugBrand modules?!?!??!

eek! d'oh! very frustrating help

hihi

Great mix of stuff!
DGTom
Mutation;

Cat-A-Tonic
DGTom wrote:
Mutation;

hihi Now I see why you're really considering a second Window Comp...
You want to have identical pairs of modules in your top and bottom rack. lol
DGTom
Sad but trooo!!!!!

help

screaming goo yo

I always planned to have the ID in that blank spot & even stopped myself moving the BZs over 2 spaces left so it would be more "even"

Keeping my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand ID still grin
adam s
My first little frac setup smile

Kwote
ahhh. 2 time machines. Noice!!
Roycie Roller
adam s wrote:

Hey Adam, do you use the EG1 to drive the Mini-Wave? Do you know that trick of taking a lead from the inverted output & plugging it into the Gate input?
I'm not sure what the waveform is (downward ramp?), but it oscillates audibly with no other inputs.
adam s
Roycie Roller wrote:
adam s wrote:

Hey Adam, do you use the EG1 to drive the Mini-Wave? Do you know that trick of taking a lead from the inverted output & plugging it into the Gate input?
I'm not sure what the waveform is (downward ramp?), but it oscillates audibly with no other inputs.

No, I wasn't aware of that EG1 trick. I will try it out... I haven't driven the MW with the EG1, but I usually drive it with an LFO or Wogglebug. Bank 15 is my fav by far
MrDys
Picture forthcoming, but this is just a little message to say that I've joined the Frac ranks. I loves me this Binary Zone, I may have to pick up a second one...

For those playing along at home, that's the third modular format I now own...(soon to add a fourth... d'oh! ).
parasitk
Nice! I really like the BZ as well.

It's my only sequencer at the moment! eek!
panda30y
All I have is a blacet vco and bz, and I have to say the BZ is absolutely amazing. If I had the cash, I would've snagged one of the BZ floating around before on the for sale forum for my second BZ, but all my money is tied up in building the rest of my modular.
DGTom
2 X BZs is SO good!

Fuck, I could use 3! Lacking a pulse divider of any sort I have been using the BZ as a wierd clock generator & driving the 2nd BZ from the 1st, the super bad thing about this is of course clocking BZ1 from a VCO Guinness ftw!

There is a little bit toward the end of this vid;

where you can see / hear the Binary Zone & Window Comparator kick out the jams!
ai
so many holes...

looking forward to expansion and reconfiguration
Kwote
sweet AI!
Kent
Sweet Mother of Fuck!!! That is nice! applause
rezzn8r
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
nice system, ai!!!
DGTom
applause

Welcome ai & your super-mega Frac XD
suboptimal
Quite a rack! You don't have problems with the SRV-3030's heat? I had one for a while that eventually died, but it ran hot as hell when it worked. Lovely 'verb.
Scaff
ai wrote:
so many holes...

looking forward to expansion and reconfiguration

FETT!
ai
suboptimal wrote:
Quite a rack! You don't have problems with the SRV-3030's heat? I had one for a while that eventually died, but it ran hot as hell when it worked. Lovely 'verb.

Yeah, I bought a couple of those when Guitar Center was blowing them out. There's a bunch of heat from that power supply just above the 3030 on the left, so I've never really noticed excessive heat from the 'verb. I'd put the supply on the top to vent the heat better, but it's so heavy I'm keeping it at the bottom to help the rack's stability instead of ruining it.

Thanks for all the comments, folks!
DGTom

I needed more Frac space & I don't have power for another 9U at the moment, so, I turned a cheap record case I had laying about into a 16 FU synth box with the Blacet PSU I could never get back inside its little tin cage.

Here is a blurry one of inside-ish;

The mounting holes are a little off, was in to much of a rush to measure, but thats easy fixed.

Best part is, the lid is deeep, so everything can be left patched when its being moved about grin

At the moment my Lunetta is bugging out with a gang of CGS modules w00t
bonusplays

All MFOS modules.

Top Row: 2 Dual A/R Envelope Generators
Bottom Row: 2 LFOs, 2 VCOs, 2 Dual VCAs
the bad producer
@ DGTom, nice job, those white Metalbox modules look very neat!

@bonusplays, nice panels, but don't you forget which control is which!

I do, after about ten seconds, which is odd as I designed the fucking things, I guess I must be a retard! eek!

Charlie
the bad producer
I finally finished most of my first cab. Only the top row left, which will be either three of those lighter coloured multi-format patchbays, or a MFOS sequencer and quantizer (probably the former)...

scozbor
awesome work!!!!!!!!

fantastic looking!!!!!!!!
eyehue

It's finally 100% finished, so time to share...

Top Left Wood Box: Heavily Modified MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Top Right Wood Box: Baby Ten Sequencer.

First Cabinet:
Top Frac:
Ad Infinitum Multi / Attenuator (modified into frac ear), Blacet I/O, Blacet Binary Zone, Blacet / Wiard Mini Wave, Blacet Filthy Filtre, Blacet VCA Quad Mix, DIY John Hollis Crash Sync (w/ CV input modification).
Middle Frac:
PAiA Power Supply, Blacet Klang Werk, Blacet Improbability Drive (w/ audio input modification), Synthesis Technology MOTM Ladder VCF (Moog Filter Clone), Blacet Dual Linear VCA, Cat Girl Synth Digital Noise, Dave Wright Overdrive.
Bottom Frac:
DIY banana / 1/8” / ¼” multiples, PAiA Midi2CV8, PAiA VCO / LFO / Modulator, PAiA VCF / Modulator, PAiA VCA / Mixer / EG / Noise, Cat Girl Synth Psycho LFO.

Second Cabinet:
Top Frac:
Blacet Multi / Attenuator (modified into frac ear), Blacet Hex Zone Sequencer, Cat Girl Synth Pulse Divider / Boolean Logic / Mixer, Cat Girl Synth Wave Multipliers, Cat Girl Synth Psycho LFO (super slow modification).
Middle Frac:
PAiA Power Supply (modified with lit switch and banana / ¼” converter), DIY Coron DS7 clone drum, Thomas Henry UD-1 drum, Cat Girl Synth Dual Chime, Thomas Henry ADVSnare, Cat Girl Synth Cynare, DIY ¼” / 1/8” / banana multiples.
Bottom frac:
Cat Girl Synth Mixer input, Music From Outer Space VCO, Thomas Henry 566 VCO, Thomas Henry Mankato VCF, Blacet EG, Cat Girl Synth Mixer output.

Designed by / Distributed by / Acquired from:
Blacet, PAiA, Cat Girl Synth / Ken Stone, Thomas Henry, Ad Infinitum, Dave Wright / Not Breathing, Music From Outer Space / Ray Wilson, Scott Deyo / Bridechamber, Midwest Analog, Analogue Haven / Shawn Cleary, Dubchild, SMS, Magic Smoke, John Hollis, eyehue & anomos, etc.
scozbor
there's something about the black 70's look of frac that I love. I much prefer it to the 80's looks of another certain modular format lol
It doesnt look cool or trendy or nice. it looks raw as fuck!

sweet system! thumbs up

will put up mine again soon
Kwote
Fuck yeah Eyehue. Awesome job man!! Now go post a file 8_)
Cat-A-Tonic
That is a kick-ass rig Eyehue.
So much unique DIY flava! love
DGTom
screaming goo yo Very, very nice eyehue!!!

that Mankato panel love
whole system looks great in those twin black cabs.
eyehue
Thanks everyone!

I've been having a lot of fun patching and just spacing out... no more thoughts of little things that need to be finished or fixed, just audio enjoyment.

I think it needs a name. I was thinking something along the lines of Dyad, but sounds too clinical... my neighbor calls it "Darth Vader's Chest".

Darth Vader Darth Vader Darth Vader Darth Vader

oh yea, we have an mp3 album coming out soon featuring this modular in progress along with Sequential Circuits Six-Trak and a bent TR-626. I will post as soon as it's available.
ai
with new colored cables and, coincidentally, a matching painting on the wall...

DGTom
argh my synth caught davies flu & a touch of banana-itis!!!

Shoulda got it vaccinated Dead Banana ambulance lol
panda30y
Nice setup! My system, albeit much smaller, has the same symptoms, but soon will have full fledged davies flu! I'm torn on whether to change my bugbrand to davies, as it just looks fantastic and the blue faceplate makes it different already. The hand build quality is fantastic, and I almost don't want to taint it! seriously, i just don't get it
DGTom
I'm just super hyper Guinness ftw! that its finally finished applause Got Parasitks Frequency Divider today MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Oddly enough, since putting on the coloured bananas & mixing up the Blacet knobs I've kinda been liking them! But once I get some more Davies they'll prob take over totally, especially once you start adding switches to those 1FUs its getting a little tight!

What modules have you banana'd so far? I think I've got enough to do the Quad Mix then I gotta re-up Dead Banana
Babaluma
posted this in the general section the other day, but here goes again for all the frac lovers who might have missed it.

the dual borg and boogie combo is the most insane thing i've ever heard.

also, have now added a chandler tg2 to the bottom rack, completing my studio!

Babaluma
dgtom - how did you get the davies knobs on the blacet knob shafts without wobble? i've tried a few ways, all in vain. did you change the pots? use washers?
DGTom
Stock Blacet pots... getting those board mounted pots off is a world of pain I can tell ya! hmmm..... not sure what you mean by wobble? They are as solid to turn as the Reans, I have noticed they don't make a perfect curve as they turn tho.. I thought that was because of the cheap molding tbh

Not really a problem for me in use, I might try out those brass sheath jobbies one day.
cram1960
Here's my new baby. Now to figure out how to use this thing.

11ish
Fantastic gear you all have! I'm somehow jealous of those frac-only systems - but i started out having both frac and euro and don't want to miss neither of them.

I started rearranging my workspace (or should i say playground) drastically in order to get rid of my huge rack und gain space (which should grow immensely as soon as my A6 is sold).

Rather than one big setup i want to have several units that are more or less self-contained and can be regarded as independent instruments. Just like islands with space in between them where i can put some percussion stuff and my bass as well, and still have room to move.

Today i started with my brand new not-so-DJ-case (no offence to DJs, of course):

As you can see, it's not very deep. Of course it's meant to be used this way:

I will definitely refill the top row, just not sure what to get when i'm fluent again...
Babaluma
wow! another 311? i wonder how many 310A and 311B there REALLY are out there?
Babaluma
another glam shot posted in another thread, but really belongs here!

11ish
Babaluma wrote:
wow! another 311? i wonder how many 310A and 311B there REALLY are out there?

yeah, you don't see too many... imho JAGs are among the best performance tools for modulars ever. I still have the old black JAG, but at the moment my system is just not large enough to utilize three... the 311 is just perfect for a small portable system.

btw, that shot of yours above is awesome! Wow!
Babaluma
yeah, it's the last module we can rub in the noses of the euro freaks, but perhaps not for long...
mono-poly
I'd be happy to take that old JAG.
Great pics!
Babaluma
i sold an old jag and an old joystick and made enough to buy the 311, crazy!
panda30y
11ish
I really like your case! Where did you get it, and how much?
11ish
panda30y wrote:
11ish
I really like your case! Where did you get it, and how much?

I bought it new on german ebay (129€), they ship worldwide. here
Mine is 3/7/4. There are other dealers who offer same sizes, but brown instead of black… and there are cheaper and less robust versions with 2/6/4. I'm considering adding one of those lighter ones for gigs (i feel stupid writing that, having last played live in 2007), because the one i got is twice as heavy (16 kg empty).
Muff Wiggler
posted in other threads and not all frac, but hey

revmutt
a quick iPhone shit shot of Wiard-Blacet-Bugbrand
glacial23
It's close enough to done now - just some labels and the knobs for the 1/8"-shafted pots left to go...

OculoRapido
An earlier history of Frac Rack construction (und sich) ist hier:
http://web.mac.com/rtrelease/AnalogDomain/Gallery.html

The attached Analog Planetfall CD art has an early 2008 version of my Frac Racks.

The blue Metalbox/CGS/Wiard rack is now also 24U, and it appears here with a test-drive of the Metalbox/CGS Programmer/Sequencer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSsEraF3rQ

This expansion pretty much blocked out the remaining sky/space ;-)

There's a third set of Blacet racks building in the top of my MoogerFooger rack, shown here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMFQgUmbqFE
Stay tuned.

And on my UToob Channel's home page, the wallpaper is all Frac.

http://www.youtube.com/OculoRapido

Dream on.

DB
johnnymad
nice rig, OculoRapido. my blacet rig was hovering around 12U for a while, but now it's down to 6U. i'll post pics of my frac/euro hybrid eventually.
SMS303
11ish wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
wow!

btw, that shot of yours above is awesome! Wow!

+1

OculoRapido wrote:

The attached Analog Planetfall CD art has an early 2008 version of my Frac Racks.
The blue Metalbox/CGS/Wiard rack is now also 24U

woah we're not worthy we're not worthy

It's not a picture (yet) but just an impression of the modules i've collected over past weeks.... Yesterday the first 2 modules arrived, can't test them yet 'cause psu is on the way! I can't wait till the day they're been delivered!!! SlayerBadger!

OculoRapido
Thanks, guys. Cool config, SMS.

Find myself experiencing that same old familiar anticipation once more, as I await John B's latest shipment of modules for the hybrid Blacet-Moog guitar synth rack...

The new 6U setup, sort of like SMS303's (above) will have my (LFO/VCA enhanced) version of Blacet's basic rack, plus another FR full of existing modules like a Time Machine, Klang Werk, Hex Zone, StonZ, and Window Comp...

Cheers.

['Doktor Bob]
SMS303
OculoRapido wrote:
Thanks, guys. Cool config, SMS.

['Doktor Bob]

Thanks smile

Unlucky the psu isnt delivered yet...
Probly delayed by costum service for VAT and those things ..

Some luck by unluck: gives me some extra time to rebuild the studio ..

Hopely i can add pictures end this- or early next week when all is connected again and i'll finally start patchin', patching and so on! nanners
DGTom
SMS303 wrote:

thumbs up that'll be a cool little system!

I'd squeeze out one of those mults & add one more each of the Dual Linear VCA & Micro LFO, I have 2 of each in my system, the micro LFOs cross-modulating one another is amazing & the Dual Linear VCAs have some neat hidden tricks that make them a real workhorse; they can be VC mixers & VC Splitters as well as Dual VCAs!!
SMS303
DGTom wrote:
thumbs up that'll be a cool little system!

I'd squeeze out one of those mults & add one more each of the Dual Linear VCA & Micro LFO, I have 2 of each in my system, the micro LFOs cross-modulating one another is amazing & the Dual Linear VCAs have some neat hidden tricks that make them a real workhorse; they can be VC mixers & VC Splitters as well as Dual VCAs!!

Thanks man! smile

I needed more cv sources for my portable dotcom and A-100. Dotcom sounds great but the modules aren't really 'that' exiciting. All those cv inputs brought me by blacet and that i'm almost only into the used market. I hope to gain lot of extra cv controls with these modules SlayerBadger!

You're fully right about 2 LFO's and VCA's but for the moment i'll be happy to find just one of those to fill the remainding gap smile
SMS303
quotin' my own words d'oh! .... I is stupid Dead Banana
falafelbiels
SMS303
Pictures though...

OR ELSE I'LL COME CHECK IT OUT IN PERSON! evil
SMS303
whoot w00t whoot

patience my padawan

thumbs up
falafelbiels
SMS303
Niels i was thinking to invite you when i'm finished connection all the shit load ....

The sad moment you pictured made me overthinking the invitation! hmmm.....
More power for the true Dark Lord of the Sith Jedi

Anyways....
I'll give a shout or call when i'm ready to show of my collection applause

See/speak you soon it's also a while ago to remember the last time smile
falafelbiels
Goodie!

Now I'll get out of here because I'm no Frac-man and shouldn't really be here.
Chugging Beers
rezzn8r
DGTom wrote:
Dual Linear VCAs have some neat hidden tricks that make them a real workhorse; they can be VC mixers & VC Splitters

eek! MY ASS IS BLEEDING w00t
excellent tips!!!
neandrewthal
SMS303 wrote:

The sad moment you pictured made me overthinking the invitation! hmmm.....
More power for the true Dark Lord of the Sith Jedi

Don't worry. He'll be a'ight.
rezzn8r

only a few spaces left. almost time to start crammin' stuff in the ears. just got the 1/8->1/4 utility strip in the mail today (thx consumed!).
symphonicdistortion
Almost ready for a second case...
zerosum
Quote:
Almost ready for a second case...

Beautiful! love Nice first post and welcome!

I finally found a decent picture of my Frac system:

DGTom
Tight 2 racks!! Straight up alien orchestra set-up thumbs up

Here's my, now complete apart from a few tweaks, Banana Blacet case;

& my 'holding pen' mostly full of Metalbox / CGS & a bunch of hombrew bits;

The plain silver 1FW modules are; G. Richter Varilogic II VC Logic - Dual Clock Switch - Rythmic CV Generator - Binary Rate Multiplier. With the 8008, Bi-N-Tic & Wave Multiplier this little box can make a stupid amount of noise screaming goo yo
11ish
jawdrop mpressive!
e-grad
Here are two pics of my set up. Not pictured is a two row half populated Euro frame.
rezzn8r
^^
SlayerBadger!
cool. there is a lot of stuff in that rack I don't recognize.
I know the Blacet and Wiard, but what's the other stuff?
Cat-A-Tonic
Yeah, give us the skinny on all those DIY modules with the nice panels.
It looks like there is a Wogglebug #3 and a bunch of CGS...

Looks good. screaming goo yo
Henfield
Great Setup in the SKB DJ Rig! I have been thinking of doing the same thing with a rack of Dotcom stuff along with Frac.
e-grad
Thanks for the kind words.

The Frac tower has the following stories:

B: Freq Div.; B: Binary Zone; Yu: Clock Div.; CGS: Burst Generator x2.

B: Window Comp.; O: Dual AR; CGS: Dual Slope Detect.; CGS: Dual Analogue Shift Register; O: S&H.

B: MiniWave; B: Dual VCA; P: Dual VCO; B: MiniWave; B: Klangwerk.

W: Woggle Bug; O: Multi Mix; B: Time Machine; B: Mixer; W: Borg 2.

CGS: DIg. Noise; CGS: Infinite Melody & Diatonic Conv.; Ba: VCS; CGS: V8 Sim.; O: Overdrive.

B: EG 1; O: Multi Mix; M: GX-1 VCF x2; M: Dual VCA/RM.

SKB:

Empty row for my Klee.

CGS: Analogue Logic; IF: Jerkster; B: Quad VCA; B: Final Filtre; B: Scanner; F: Dual LPG.

M: 300 VCO x 2; CGS: Modulo Magic

W: Noise Ring; E: Freq Shift.; W: JAG; W: Joy Stick.

D: VCO + Aid + Mix; M: Wavewarper.

Design by:

B = Blacet; Yu = Yusynth; CGS; O = Oakley; P = PAiA; W =Wiard; Ba = Bananalogue; M = MOTM; D = DotCom; IF = Ian Fritz; F: Fonik (the design is acutally Peter Grenader's adaption of Buchla's LPG which Fonik has made available on his HP. Ta!)

The DotCom stuff will be FS/FT soon. Currently it crowded out my CGS Matrix Mixer and MOTM Sub Oct.

There's many more sitting on the bench missing one or two parts (eg Oakley Noise), need troubleshooting (eg Blacet Dual VCF) or just a frontpanel (Ian Fritz Double Well and All-In EG).
gnombient
Here's my modest little 6U Blacet case. I haven't been able to add any new modules for a while, because I need to get another PSU and another case/cabinet first...

rezzn8r
lol nice dice lol
gnombient
rezzn8r wrote:
lol nice dice lol

Thanks! A couple musician friends and I developed an improvisational system that used polyhedral dice -- one part Music of Changes and two parts Dungeon Master's Guide... thumbs up
Adam-V
Oops, double post....
Adam-V
My frac rig which is spread across 2 racks.

Mostly Blacet modules (cavorting with Livewire euro modules nonetheless!):

7/10ths of a rack full of CGS modules:

I'm in the process of reorganising my studio; the Frac modules will, at some point, end up in the same rack.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Kent
Wow! If that's not a thing of beauty, I don't know what is! Great rig and great work, Adam-V
werock
I agree!

What are the LED's? Or are you using lenses on them? Whatever, they look cool.
Adam-V
Thanks for the compliments guys.

The LEDs are these Chrome Bezel ones -> http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL2615&CATID=33&form=CAT&S UBCATID=657.
They're expensive but worth it.

Cheers,
Adam-V
D/A A/D
It grew a little...

Some new PAiA and AI...

nanners
Kent
Oh, man! You gots ta file a report on the new PAiA hotness.
glacial23
I've (almost) finished my third row:

(just the power cable for the Paia Dual VCA to go, really)

I also ordered my next subrack, VCO, DAD, and a bunch of blank panels today! SlayerBadger!

But not a Binary Zone, since Blacet's out of stock cry
Moog$FooL$
some burnin' diy frac action!!!

keep it up fellas... i love it!!

applause

kinda likin' those PAIA new panels too!! seem sorta 2600 like from a distance.
DGTom
I agree, the new PAIA panels look great. I'm a sucker for those block diagram gfx w00t
D/A A/D
glacial23, how did you deal with the lack of the second Molex header for the PAiA stuff?
glacial23
D/A A/D wrote:
glacial23, how did you deal with the lack of the second Molex header for the PAiA stuff?

For most of them (except the dual VCA and the second CV Source/Mixer/Attenuator that I haven't even started yet) I crimped the ends onto .156 connectors that I had from the Blacet power cable kit.

For the last two, and into the future, I've ordered a bunch of .100 pins and 4-pin connectors - my Mouser order should be arriving Monday.
rezzn8r
DGTom wrote:
I agree, the new PAIA panels look great. I'm a sucker for those block diagram gfx w00t

SlayerBadger!
D/A A/D
Kent wrote:
Oh, man! You gots ta file a report on the new PAiA hotness.

They have... No... Power...

cry

glacial23 wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:

For most of them (except the dual VCA and the second CV Source/Mixer/Attenuator that I haven't even started yet) I crimped the ends onto .156 connectors that I had from the Blacet power cable kit.

For the last two, and into the future, I've ordered a bunch of .100 pins and 4-pin connectors - my Mouser order should be arriving Monday.

Ah, cool. Thanks. I am going the .1 route as well as I ordered the AI bus board.
rezzn8r

My frac moved into a new home today! screaming goo yo w00t
Cat-A-Tonic
Very nice Rezzn8r. 8_)
That looks like a very well balanced system you have there.
Are you planning to add one more Frac rack, and oust that 1/4-1/8 adapter panel?
rezzn8r
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Very nice Rezzn8r. 8_)
That looks like a very well balanced system you have there.
Are you planning to add one more Frac rack, and oust that 1/4-1/8 adapter panel?

No. Just picked up a used AI 1U 19" multiples, and planning a custom 19" 1U dual bi`n`tic for the other spot. Then on to the "ears" with an 8008, ASR, and some attenuators. That's a long-term plan, though lol
11ish
one half of my current modular (the other half I'll post at the eurocrack subforum):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3341/4645205856_2601c0c090_o.jpg
Luka
it begins smile
not sure if i will bananafy them at this stage
feels wrong to rip apart and hack these modules

qu.one
Luka wrote:
it begins smile

I'm about to join you! And I love my (euro) MiniWave...
Luka
if you ever make some frac ears let me know stephen
im well keen for some
ignatius
Luka wrote:
it begins smile

it seems like the a totally right thing to do to me! bananafy the world!
nanners

your modules look beautiful btw. would love to hear some of those in action.
Luka
cheers

still sorting power out in my new cabinets
should have been done by now but waited months for a futurelec delivery with necessary components only to find them missing :(

looking for alternative now

re:bananfy

yeah but you loose lots of normalisation doing that
and having to add more switches to the plates is really brutal on these small panels

but i guess i might do it anyway since i want bug modules
parasitk
Luka wrote:
looking for alternative now

re:bananfy

yeah but you loose lots of normalisation doing that
and having to add more switches to the plates is really brutal on these small panels

I haven't found it to be too bad, actually. The benefits of the bananas outweigh the normalizations IMO (which I generally dislike anyway).
Cat-A-Tonic
My newly finished portable Frac cabinet made of Japanese Cypress

from the back

sitting atop the unfinished studio cabinet of the same wood
parasitk
Cat-A-Tonic, beautiful!
parasitk

Cross post from banana system pics...
qu.one
^^^ That is looking sick Chris...
Adam-V
Nice systems guys.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Ekofisk
It started life as this innocent looking bug...

And quickly took over the known universe...

Still have a couple of racks left to bananafy, though. I am really liking the way this thing is coming together.

And to those of you sitting on the fence regarding bananas: DO IT!!!
Ekofisk

EDIT: Don't know what happeneed to orientation here.. Sorry.

rezzn8r
eek! we're not worthy
that is one wonderful sea of bananas
Adam-V
Very nice system!

Cheers,
Adam-V
DGTom
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
My newly finished portable Frac cabinet made of Japanese Cypress

So good! Love the wood & black metal combination; I'm a sucker for big handles grin

Ekofisk wrote:
And quickly took over the known universe...

we're not worthy SlayerBadger! we're not worthy
Babaluma
yep, that looks amazing cat-a-tonic!
Fnord
That's hott
KNYST
@ Ekofisk: lovely! thumbs up
mfirman
Here are some of my Frac modules together with my Wiard 300 series setup.

Moog$FooL$
woah!!

just catching up on this thread.

some really nice systems here..... by all u guys!!! applause

green with envy, me!!!
Babaluma
couple of blurry dark mood shots from last night:
mfirman
@Babaluma: Did you make the 19" multiple/attinuator panels?
rezzn8r
mfirman wrote:
@Babaluma: Did you make the 19" multiple/attinuator panels?

I think they're from Metalbox.
Babaluma
yep, mr. micheal ford from metalbox made them for me to my specification a number of years ago, and fantastic they have been and continue to be! he did all the frac ears for me too. excellent work.
Mark Seagraves
The Beast. It's about to go through some major changes and so I wanted to put this up. I have a bunch of CGS and my own modules that I want to make room for. This has been a really killer setup since it is effectively two complete systems in one cabinet. The original idea was to use it as two voices but I generally just go at it as one complex voice. The changes coming will see one complete voice being moved out and a lot more CV - sequencing and clock functionality going in. I'm not sure how everything will get laid out yet, but it won't be as mirrored as it is now. I'm also considering moving to more of a sloped console style cabinet. We'll see.
Adam-V
brilliant!

Are you using vector rails with sliding nuts to mount your modules?

Cheers,
Adam-V
scozbor
pics from a recent jam!

There are another 2 cabinets (also RAST!)
selfoscillate

the frac part of my modular. mostly blacet, with a few hints
of wiard, metalbox, cyndustries and encore electronics.
rezzn8r
selfoscillate wrote:

the frac part of my modular. mostly blacet, with a few hints
of wiard, metalbox, cyndustries and encore electronics.

Nice system! So, what's going in the empty spot??
selfoscillate
rezzn8r wrote:

Nice system! So, what's going in the empty spot??

thank you smile i'm not yet sure about the empty spot.
i'm thinking maybe i will remove the noise ring to make
enough room for a hex zone. if i do so i would certainly
get another noise ring in euro-format, as i have more
free space in that department. you cannot really
live without a noise ring, don't you? love
hmm, maybe i should better sell the quad mix vca instead.
rezzn8r
eek! don't get rid of the noise ring
perhaps get rid of the 2210s for the hex zone and get ear versions of the mults and attenuators from Metalbox.
selfoscillate
rezzn8r wrote:
eek! don't get rid of the noise ring
perhaps get rid of the 2210s for the hex zone and get ear versions of the mults and attenuators from Metalbox.

i thought about that too, but i like to have the mults spreaded in
the system. i'm doing a lot of crosspatching with my euro modular,
so they are quite handy. i thought of the noise ring because it can
easily be replaced by the euro version, and as it is a desirable
module it would be more easy to sell. the quad mix vca seems
to be more logical to sell, but it will be more difficult, now that
the super vca is available.
rezzn8r
selfoscillate wrote:
i thought of the noise ring because it can
easily be replaced by the euro version, and as it is a desirable
module it would be more easy to sell. the quad mix vca seems
to be more logical to sell, but it will be more difficult, now that
the super vca is available.

If you want to keep the 2210s, then the Noise Ring is the way to go. It would be easy to sell, and the Euro version has Clock In (something I would love for my 1200 version).

And if you're still tight for space you could also sell me you Frac Boogie and get the Euro version hihi
selfoscillate
rezzn8r wrote:

And if you're still tight for space you could also sell me you Frac Boogie and get the Euro version hihi

hehehe, that is well-thought hihi
but i don't think that i will sell the boogie, sorry
Ekofisk
Go to hell, rezzn8r. lol
rezzn8r
Ekofisk wrote:
Go to hell, rezzn8r. lol

lol twisted
Adam-V
Great system!

If it were me looking to free up some space, I'd ditch the two bar graphs and keep the noise ring.

Cheers,
Adam-V
selfoscillate
Adam-V wrote:
Great system!

If it were me looking to free up some space, I'd ditch the two bar graphs and keep the noise ring.

Cheers,
Adam-V

thanks smile

well, but ... i love the bar graphs, they are really useful
and quite unique in the modular world.
just got my second bar graph two or three weeks ago,
so i will keep them for sure.

the only frac module that i really don't need anymore is the
quad mix vca. if i can't manage to sell it, i will most probably
sell the noisering, since i can re-buy it as an euro module easily.
i could even mount it in the euro frame which stands on top of the
fracrack, so it would only be one or two rows away from
where it used to be lol
Adam-V
Fair enough then!

I don't have a bar graph yet and it's probably something I wouldn't ordinarily consider buying but I do have one coming to me as part of a recent package deal so I'll be able to judge its usefulness when I pick it up.

Cheers,
Adam-V
selfoscillate
Adam-V wrote:
Fair enough then!

I don't have a bar graph yet and it's probably something I wouldn't ordinarily consider buying but I do have one coming to me as part of a recent package deal so I'll be able to judge its usefulness when I pick it up.

Cheers,
Adam-V

i use the bar graphs all the time for monitoring control voltages,
especially when i need to keep the cv in a certain range.
they are fast, not like the moving coil stuff.
sometimes when i'm working with the modular i feel like i'm
driving blind somehow. some modules give a good feedback
of whats going on at their output, others don't even have a single led
at all, but a huge output range, which can make things tricky
during excessive crosspatching. thats where the bar graphs
make life a lot easier. plus they look cool smile
werock
Here's my unfinished Frac in an Ikea case - I've run out of cash for now, so will have to wait a few months before finishing it off sad

Terrible phone cam pic:

rezzn8r
Just filled my 4th Rack !!! w00t
I was going to stop at 3, but you guys know how it is oops

Adam-V
Finally amassed enough racks to house all the frac modules I currently have:

Cheers,
Adam-V
Cat-A-Tonic
Adam-V, your system is gate madness. thumbs up

If you have the time, please post close ups of your Wave Multiplier panel.
Adam-V
It is a bit gate heavy I guess! I have the other stuff pretty much covered in other formats.

Here's a the WM up close and personal:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=246392#246392

Cheers,
Adam-V
DGTom
That thing is a beats monster!!
a Quad VCS & it'd be perfect evil
scozbor
FRAC YEAH SlayerBadger!
werock
Nice system Adam-V - looks like you've been really busy on the DIY front...
Adam-V
The frac format is clearly dead...

I have been very busy doing the DIY thing and I've got a bunch more modules to build yet.

DGTom, a couple of these are on the list:

Frac FTW!

Cheers,
Adam-V
a100user
My Frac system is actually all BugBrand but this is it so far in it's new home

More here at the Bug thread https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23742
Babaluma
recent pic:

Modular Nov 2010 by Babaluma23, on Flickr
Adam-V
Nice setup. I don't think you have enough time machines though!

Cheers,
Adam-V
werock
Looks like he's also cornered the market in Wiard filters!
rezzn8r
what is that on top next to the hex zone?
Babaluma
one more time machine would be fab, but there's nothing i would choose to loose to replace it with, and i'm at max capacity.

having a pair of borg 2s and a pair of boogies is just super insane for stereo/quad work, or serial chains.

the thing next to the hex zone is a new sonic research turbo tuner st-122a.

i have a pair of hex zones and a bananalogue vcs waiting for a new frac rack and psu. i am hoping it will make a nice sequencing panel.

you can't see the future retro orb in the pick, but that also kicks arse for acid lines.

if you notice, it's 99% L/R symmetrical. i placed a lot of importance on the design.

time re-launch the dream weapon!
valis
Man, this thread always makes my mouth water. Here's my "pre-frac" setup. It's a bananafied PAiA 2700/4700 system with a few of my own DIY modules and power source. This is kind of my gigging system. I just got the CV keyboard from revtor (thanks!).

I figured I'd post in the Frac thread since it is a PAiA machine after all. Plus there's nowhere else for me to hang out sad banana

I'll get some proper sound files up at some point..

werock
Looks very handy for gigging.
sensensempompom
Holigoil
Just completed today! Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance

DGTom
digital noise, 2 micros & 2 delay pedals! space rock juke box extraordinare!! applause
fluxmonkey
major studio rearrangement to get the whole famb dambly together:

beginning to confirm my suspicions that this is more than i need, and will probably be doing some selling in the near future... milton? PSIM? hmmm...

bbob
Cat-A-Tonic
Nice system Flux.
What is that module with the faders at the bottom of the 2nd case from the left?

Do you still have a website up that details your DIY efforts?
It was an inspiration when I was getting started a few years ago.
fluxmonkey
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Nice system Flux.
What is that module with the faders at the bottom of the 2nd case from the left?

analog tracking generator, grant richter design

Quote:
Do you still have a website up that details your DIY efforts?
It was an inspiration when I was getting started a few years ago.

thanks for that, but never was able to keep up with it. did manage to cobble together some pages for a playshop thing a couple years ago: http://fluxplayshop.blogspot.com/
vmgas
small compared to a lot of systems i see up here but efficient
im planning on getting a couple motm modules and another vca to put in a small case and hopefully i'll stop myself after that
eef
The bottom row came assembled from the factory, the Mini-Wave was from the used equipment list at AnalogueHaven, and the rest were soldering meditation practice for me on the way to being working modules.

Sorry for the poor quality, I actually have some really nice cameras, will have to use one instead of the ubiquitous iPhone.
rezzn8r
nice little system. what will go in the last spot top/right?
eef
rezzn8r wrote:
nice little system. what will go in the last spot top/right?

Thanks! I was going to put a DAD in there, but I prefer modules with some VC. Of course a DAD with VC would be an envelator, and I have some of those already as you can see here. I enjoyed the kit building process, so I thought maybe a Plague Bearer would be neat to build, but then I found the CGS site, and became overwhelmed by the options.

In addition to the Frac and Euro I have a few MoogerFoogers (Ring Mod, Phaser, Delay). I love "playing" with the system, exploring the parameter space. Brings back the joy of my earliest experiences with Synthesis, the ARP 2500 at Washington University's Electronic Music Studio.

Given that, any suggestions?
Adam-V
Most recent and somewhat crappy pic of my predominantly DIY frac rig:

From top to bottom
Row 1: VC Ring Mod, Dual Filter, Final Filtre, Dark Star Chaos (Rev B), VC Ring Mod
Row 2: Bi-N-Tic Filter, Voltage Controlled Divider, CV Cluster, CV Cluster
Row 3: 8008 Bass Drum, 8008 Bass Drum, AND/NAND Logic Gates, OR/NOR Logic Gates, Quadruple Bandpass Filter, Plague Bearer
Row 4: Mini Wave, VCA Quad Mix, Dual Lin VCA, Dual Lin VCA, Bar Graph, Gated Comparator
Row 5: Dark Star Chaos (Rev A), Window Comparator, Improbability Drive, Binary Zone, DAD, Micro LFO
Row 6: XOR/XNOR Logic Gates, Pulse Divider/Boolean Logic, Pulse Divider/Boolean Logic, 4x Gate Delay, Joystick
Row 7: Dual Analogue Shift Register, Slope Detector, Analogue Logic, Super Psycho LFO, Triple Attenuator, Joystick
Row 8: Voltage Controlled Mixer, Amplitude Follower, Wave Multiplier/Rectifier/Real Ring Mod, Drum Voice

Cheers,
Adam-V
dan_p
Obelisk

we're not worthy
Cat-A-Tonic
woah AdamV, do you think you have enough logic gates in your rig?
Adam-V
Nope, not at all!

I'm planning more logic modules for this year, mainly for wierd and whacky lunetta style romps through the square wave landscape and odd sequencey goodness.

Cheers,
Adam-V
roeenney
vmgas wrote:
small compared to a lot of systems i see up here but efficient
im planning on getting a couple motm modules and another vca to put in a small case and hopefully i'll stop myself after that
roeenney
Adam-V wrote:
Most recent and somewhat crappy pic of my predominantly DIY frac rig:

From top to bottom
Row 1: VC Ring Mod, Dual Filter, Final Filtre, Dark Star Chaos (Rev B), VC Ring Mod
Row 2: Bi-N-Tic Filter, Voltage Controlled Divider, CV Cluster, CV Cluster
Row 3: 8008 Bass Drum, 8008 Bass Drum, AND/NAND Logic Gates, OR/NOR Logic Gates, Quadruple Bandpass Filter, Plague Bearer
Row 4: Mini Wave, VCA Quad Mix, Dual Lin VCA, Dual Lin VCA, Bar Graph, Gated Comparator
Row 5: Dark Star Chaos (Rev A), Window Comparator, Improbability Drive, Binary Zone, DAD, Micro LFO
Row 6: XOR/XNOR Logic Gates, Pulse Divider/Boolean Logic, Pulse Divider/Boolean Logic, 4x Gate Delay, Joystick
Row 7: Dual Analogue Shift Register, Slope Detector, Analogue Logic, Super Psycho LFO, Triple Attenuator, Joystick
Row 8: Voltage Controlled Mixer, Amplitude Follower, Wave Multiplier/Rectifier/Real Ring Mod, Drum Voice

Cheers,
Adam-V
roeenney
2011 new frac modular - my 25th birthday

man GL built the case and burned my name in the side

going to be building and expanding to a second case shortly

L -> R

blacet attenuator - basically there so i don't put my finger inside
blacet vca
blacet micro LFO - built by hand
paia VCO - built by hand
blacet final fitre
pulse emitter attenuator - **on temporary loan
(!!)
Adam-V
That's a good selection of modules. I didn't realise the Paia VCO was so fully featured. Dual oscillator AND an A(S)R envelope generator that can be set to cycle on it's own.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Bob Borries
Adam-V
Nice animation but that's a euro module isn't it?

Cheers,
Adam-V
vmgas
still have to build a case..hopefully tomorrow
tIB

Have a bit more to join this: 2nd hex zone on the way, encore freq shifter, blacet quad vca and cgs stiener. Hoping to fracifying a euro 3U for the final row.
werock
vmgas wrote:

Nice! An interesting mix of modules you've got there. What's the module on the top row between the Paia's?
glacial23
My live case at the moment:
D/A A/D
Some sexy fucking frac racks boys!
vmgas
werock wrote:
vmgas wrote:

Nice! An interesting mix of modules you've got there. What's the module on the top row between the Paia's?

it's a binary zone
yea i'm really enjoying my setup right now
i think i'll build a smaller system in a couple months..maybe just 4 or 5 modules for easy travelling
Adam-V
Great select ion of modules vmgas but what's with the tape and scribble?

Cheers,
Adam-V
Babaluma
he hates blacet, but can't stop himself from using it?
chamomileshark
I realised I'd not put up pictures of Dirty Knobby follwing it's expansion a few years back.

tIB
Full!

OK, so the untrained eye might spot some gaps but I see a hex zone that's in the post, an encore frequency shifter that's in for repair and somethng narrow and blue.
vmgas
Adam-V wrote:

Cheers,
Adam-V

i really dislike a lot of the text on blacet modules
the typeface chosen just looks plain ugly to me on almost every module
i also dislike the look of blacet knobs
generally i think it's unfortunate that so few modules i see actually look visually pleasing to me but we can't all afford buchla
the mankato though is gorgeous and i think paia's modules look great though i'm not fond of the knobs they use now..metalbox also has a great look
anyway..i built a box at 5am the other day and added a s/h and 3 color noise from paia in the bottom left and right corner
i'll post the pictures on friday..box is kinda weird
tIB
my now daily update:

Hex zone win!

Expect exotica tomorrow.
Adam-V
vmgas wrote:
Adam-V wrote:

Cheers,
Adam-V

i really dislike a lot of the text on blacet modules
the typeface chosen just looks plain ugly to me on almost every module
i also dislike the look of blacet knobs
generally i think it's unfortunate that so few modules i see actually look visually pleasing to me but we can't all afford buchla
the mankato though is gorgeous and i think paia's modules look great though i'm not fond of the knobs they use now..metalbox also has a great look

Wow, seems a bit of an extreme measure but, they're your modules!.

I rather like Blacet's panel graphics and I love the Rean soft touch knobs. I've been tempted to replace the knobs on my eurorack system with them but that's an awful lot of knobs. I agree about the Paia knobs though - horrible. Metalbox panels are too sparsely populated for my liking and the lack of scales on the pots messes with my head. This by no means a criticism of Mikes workmanship, he is a top notch guy, excellent to deal with and every Frac owner should have at least one of his modules in their rack.

Cheers,
Adam-V
tIB
^ I used rean soft touches on my grey euro knobs, I prefer davis clones but they alright on the fingers... like to mix up the colours too.

Not overly keen on the blacet text myself, love the modules though and dislike the look of electrical tape even more...
Moog$FooL$
i'm gonna pipe in for a thumbs up vote for Blacet graphics..... yes they aren't great, but most of them are at least decent. ie, The Stonz. seriously, i just don't get it

as for Pukela... well not so much. but, Serge.... hyper hyper
werock
The only thing that bugs me about them is the different fonts across modules - I'd much rather have one font.
tIB
Look carefully, tucked into todays update is some rather lovely blue exotica!

rezzn8r
tIB wrote:
Look carefully, tucked into todays update is some rather lovely blue exotica!

Bugbrand! BugBrand! Yummy!
which module?
Adam-V
I reckon it looks more like a Metalbox Cynare

EDIT: Or is it the module to the left of that?

Cheers,
Adam-V
Cat-A-Tonic
I think he's talking about that sexy new BugBrand! WAVE FOLDER on the far left of the top rack.
with 3.5mm jacks once again eek! SlayerBadger!
Adam-V
I thought the big blue thing in the middle was a bit too obvious! The one on the left looks back on my monitor. I guess it's just very very very very very very very dark blue.

Cheers,
Adam-V
tIB
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I think he's talking about that sexy new BugBrand! WAVE FOLDER on the far left of the top rack.
with 3.5mm jacks once again eek! SlayerBadger!

this! w00t
werock
How did that happen??
tIB
I sold my soul to tom bugs. hyper
rezzn8r
tIB wrote:
I sold my soul to tom bugs. hyper

I am green with envy. Sounds?
tIB
nothing as yet with the bug in, arrived yesterday and hectic at work... week off now so will get something up soon. It's lovely though...

For a general demo that's your best bet currently: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28328
BugBrand
tIB wrote:
nothing as yet with the bug in, arrived yesterday and hectic at work... week off now so will get something up soon. It's lovely though...

For a general demo that's your best bet currently: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28328

I even showed a picture 3 weeks ago!::
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=382976#382976

I'm in the middle of updating things online and getting ready to gradually begin offering a few modules in Minijack again. This really is a spin-off from the main banana productions - hopefully some nice additions to the general Frac Minijack world.

Updates in progress - as always the best way to stay up to date is the mailing list (which I promise will soon actually have some traffic - so much work the last months has just been with the system users..)

http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_28
werock
That's good news, nice to see some more minijack modules again - probably deserves it's own mention rather than being tucked away in this thread...
Cat-A-Tonic
This

Got changed to this

purely cosmetic,
but black Guinness ftw!
Cat-A-Tonic
and here is a sad I/O on a shelf awaiting switches for its breakout Frac ear.

Luka
love the panels!
DGTom
we're not worthy

I am now looking at the WC & MXP thinking I could cram two modules behind 1 panel!!

i've added CV attens to my WC (Level, Width, Ramp CV) & I was going to add on/off switches to the MXP... but damn... double modules hhhmmm
vmgas
finished box
e-tron
Cat-A-Tonic, very nice panels.

I really like those silver panels with the
stick on lettering. Let me if you want to
get rid of those.
e-tron
Also, @ vmgas, cool set-up.

Are those tape loops you're feeding

in to the synth? I've been doing that

for awhile, very cool. I really wish those

cassette multi-trackers had direct outs.
Cat-A-Tonic
e-tron wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic, very nice panels.

I really like those silver panels with the
stick on lettering. Let me if you want to
get rid of those.

Thanks.

I used the dymo labelled panel to make the black, stamped one.
Using a random-orbital sander on the aluminum camouflages any future scratches you might make if left as bare aluminum,
& gives something for paint to grip if you go that route.
vmgas
e-tron wrote:
Also, @ vmgas, cool set-up.

Are those tape loops you're feeding

in to the synth? I've been doing that

for awhile, very cool. I really wish those

cassette multi-trackers had direct outs.

just some prepared tape collages
i'm pretty fond of the process and it's a nice sound source to have next to vcos or noise generators or whatever for what i make
dogoftears

just re'org'd and this is what i came up w/.
Adam-V
Nice!

Euro and Frac play well so together. I'm surprised more people don't mix them.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Cat-A-Tonic
Adam-V wrote:
Nice!

Euro and Frac play well so together. I'm surprised more people don't mix them.

Me too.
Best of both worlds really.
I don't think of them as separate systems.
I almost never use one without the other these days.
Frac Hug Euro
dogoftears
truth is my patches mainly consist of the euro panel but almost ALWAYS reach out for 1 or 2 blacet modules. the whole frac setup ends up being indispensable. and of course the JAG... nothing can touch that.

i wish wish wish blacet modules were shallow like new-style euro. if i could skiff my blacet around to gigs id prolly go %100 frac.
slow_riot
in the spirit of the last several posts...

i got 1 row frac to mix with my euro... binary zone, time machine (from diy), frequency divider (forthcoming), and Borg and Frequensteiner (although I feel a little guilty of robbing fracers of good filters... but hey i waited for a while for other users to bite and no takers)
dogoftears
as you can see i moved my most important frac modules out of the main case and below the euro for more convenient patching. that ended up being a joystick, a jag, the two time machines, and a mult, my most reached for frac modules. i feel like such a pimp for having two time machines.

i have another wiard joystick not hooked up... i wanna convert it to euro so i can somehow shove it in my goikes case w/ euro power. how does one do this (considering the wiard js doesn't have a socket for power on the module, it has soldered wires leading to a female socket)?
Spencer
I just bought a Doepfer 6U portable case and my first eurorack module to go with my frac system.
werock

Added a couple of Paia modules (Ring Mod & Noise) & a Bugbrand Wavefolder. Have got some other stuff on order from Blacet & Metalbox, some of which will be going into a separate sequencing rack.
Spencer
werock wrote:

Added a couple of Paia modules (Ring Mod & Noise) & a Bugbrand Wavefolder. Have got some other stuff on order from Blacet & Metalbox, some of which will be going into a separate sequencing rack.

What are the three modules on the top row right side?
tIB

Bad photo to celebrate the arrival of miniwave and bug-stick.

More blue things expected next week, good times. Pretty sure Im going to add another row of frac soon, got a freq shifter in for repair... might add a couple of blacet VCOs along with some other bits. Need to sell stuff first.
werock
Spencer wrote:
werock wrote:

What are the three modules on the top row right side?

They are some DIY modules - a Lo Pass Gate based on the Thomas White PCB, a Mattson VCF from the MMM range, and an Attenuverting Mixer based on Fonik's PCB.
Spencer
thumbs up
vmgas
i've been contemplating bringing my paia modulator back into my setup
tIB
It needs reshuffling and moving in my rack but Im pretty pleased with my row of blue:

Hoping to find some more minijack bug processors in the future... delay, LPG and filter would be nice, distortion on the way after payday with any luck. BugBrand! nanners
rezzn8r
nice!
Ekofisk
It's getting old now, but still needs to be said:

There's something strangely colour-/fruitless about your Bugbrand/frac rig?
tIB
One day my friend, one day... thumbs up
Spencer
petal

just waiting on some metalbox modules to fill it out.
Synthasonic
o.k. I'll bite. It's been a while since I updated the pics of my modular:
werock
Nice one Synthasonic! Plenty of free rack space for more, too...

What are the modules in the left hand rack 2nd from the bottom?
Synthasonic
2nd left from the bottom are 5 MFOS EGs I made a while ago. I intended to sell a few, but every now and again, I need all 5, so they've all stayed.
Nouadh

bio feedback is now set up cving the dark star also separate audio output,
2 mfos ten steps on the way and a ken stone utility lfo [/img]
Synthasonic
werock wrote:
Nice one Synthasonic! Plenty of free rack space for more, too...

Actually, I was just figuring it, and there's not going to be that much space left after the next addition. I'm in the process of building MFOS 16 step sequencers with MFOS quantizers built in. I'm making only 5 of them because it's going to be such a huge PITA to wire the front panels. Each one will fill a frac case completely (i.e. 10 spaces). woah I'll probably end up regretting not keeping one more, but I need to finance all of the parts I've bought to build these, so three of the 'litter' will have to go. There's about $250 worth of parts in one, and my estimate is that each one will be about 20 hours of bench time to assemble. Anybody care to make a suggestion as to what I should ask for the ones I'm going to sell (no, they're not available yet!)
werock
Difficult to say - saw 1 or 2 Klees up for sale recently but no MFOS sequencers - $550?
Synthasonic
$550-$600 was kind of what I had in mind. It's always what the market will bear, of course. I'd rather not have them sitting around, tho, as I will get used to having them and then have trouble getting rid of them!
werock
Well they're not in a rack yet, but here's some new modules from Metalbox that turned up today:

rezzn8r
werock wrote:
Well they're not in a rack yet, but here's some new modules from Metalbox that turned up today:

nice! w00t I have some Metalbox coming soon. ASR, 8008, Dual RM, and some other stuff.
Synthasonic
hey rezzn8tr, if you ever figure something cool to do with that analogic, please post. I've owned mine for 9-10 years now, but have never used it even once! Suggestions would be welcome!
Cat-A-Tonic
Synthasonic wrote:
hey rezzn8tr, if you ever figure something cool to do with that analogic, please post. I've owned mine for 9-10 years now, but have never used it even once! Suggestions would be welcome!

Not having used one, I always assumed it was a sort of max/min type thing that could do ringmodesque stuff to audio combinations.
werock
From the Metalbox page:

The AND section outputs the lowest input voltage presented at the inputs, the NAND is inverted. The second OR section outputs the highest input voltage presented at the inputs, the NOR is inverted. Use it with two LFO's or other voltage sources for interesting waveshapes. Effect on audio sources is reminiscent of ring modulation.

So yes, Ring Modulation type stuff is one possibility (2 points to Cat-A-Tonic), I guess you could also use the NAND as a simple inverter if you only feed it one input. Main reason I got it was to be use in combination with Binary Zone and sequencers, I thought it might be able to add some randomness/variation switching between different sources. I'll soon see...
werock
rezzn8r wrote:

nice! w00t I have some Metalbox coming soon. ASR, 8008, Dual RM, and some other stuff.

applause

I was tempted by the 8008 too, but that will have to wait a while...
cerebrosis
Metalbox is beautiful. Got my ASR recently and was floored by the quality and the subdued-yet classy look.
Adam-V
Posted this over in the DIY section but figured it couldn't hurt to be posted here as well for those who don't frequent that particular part of the world.

Re-jigged my frac setup...

Ikea Rast bedside tables with the legs cut off. Painted with black acrylic and finished with polyurethane. I'll be doing more in the near future for my euro rig too.

Cheers,
Adam-V
werock
Awesome looking system Adam, do you use it as a multi voice system or one big single voice/sequencing rig? Good to see you've got some extra rack space too.

I also went with the Ikea Rast, although I used wooden mounting rails rather than a Frac Rack, so I could squeeze in more modules (in the space where the rack ears would be). But that was because I don't have the room for multiple cabinets :-(
Adam-V
Thank you.

I generally use it as a multi-voice system (coupled with my 100m and Euro rig) although lately I've been messing with single voice drones. I'll be finishing off another 5 Rasts over the next couple of weeks so the hole where the 6th frac cabinet should be will be filled then (I have another 2 frac frames set aside already for that!)

Good idea using wooden rails and dispensing with the frac frames - as well as the space saving you save a bit of money too. I'm about to design some replacement "utility" ears for my frames so I'll regain some of the space they take up.

You should give in to your 8008 temptation BTW - they are brilliant. Real window rattlers!

Cheers,
Adam.
legionhwp
My current live Frac setup. For my time, money, and space this is my fav live system I own. The depth and variety of modules in such a coherent and tight space make this my own little "Music machine"

Modules include:

Bugbrand, Blacet, Wiard, MOTM, Paia, Metalbox, some DAEDSound.com DIY, Ozzitronics, and Bananalogue. Frac is my favorite DIY format as well and even though this is a 12U system it's case, dual PS, and rackability make it the most portable powerful modular system I own.

rezzn8r
nice selection of modules, legionhwp
tIB
The fracdrum is complete... sort of

FxCam_1308991661742.jpg by sonofprent, on Flickr

Have a gated comparator on the way, that might replace the synthacon, though Ive mysteriously found enough rack space for another 3U of modules and have enough spare power and distro boards... not sure how that happened. hmmm..... hihi

The plan remains to try and find more minijack bug stuff, really want the delay, LPG and pretty much any blue I can get my hands on. Of course, if I ever find enough It might be worth me going bananas... not yet though. Also remain extremely tempted by the living VCO, though a pair of blacet oscs is also on my mind. So, stick or twist.... twist of course, though not yet as I have another non modular toy to pay for...

EDIT: Before I do anything frac I need a 4HP clock divider to go into the gap next to the custom I/O panel.
sensensempompom
frac rack

werock
Nice rack! Plenty of room for more too...
vmgas

this is my new mini system for light travelling
i think im gonna swap out the ctl1 though into my main system and put my mankato in it's place
i wanted to put something together that was compact and a weirder to use
i wanted to have no lfos filters or egs but i think the mankato will work out and seeing as how my other system has 4 vcos the ctl1 would work better there
KNYST
cool mini setup thumbs up

great to see all these bugs. anyone into mini jack frac should grab one of those BugBrand wavefolders - once trying it out you can't live without it.
vmgas
coincidentally i decided today that the wavefolder would be my next and last purchase for awhile
tIB
^ its great!
scozbor
Here is my setup - as of about a month ago. The top right rack is now nearly full of DIY in the balck/white style. Will post more pics when its done (and hopefully not crappy phone pics!)

I'm really happy with how its turning out! I'm trying to fit a more 5U feel into 3U. Big knobs. lots of space.

The gaps between the RAST will be utility panels - buffered mults, jack converters, vcas, attenuverter, simple inverters, a matrix mixer, maybe the MFOS stereo mixer?, and I like that MFOS utility PCB too. I have enough DIY for 2 more RAST right now, so there will be 3 utility panels.

Thanks to everyone here for inspiration and information!
Adam-V
Nice racks scozbor. I like the wood coloured stain on the Rasts.

Cheers,
Adam-V
solitaryzen
KNYST wrote:
cool mini setup thumbs up

great to see all these bugs. anyone into mini jack frac should grab one of those BugBrand wavefolders - once trying it out you can't live without it.

Another vote for the Bugbrand wavefolder here - and the DD3 VCA/Drive is also worth grabbing!
pulse_divider
Here's mine, it's much smaller now than it used to be.
solitaryzen
The tower of power! This was just after I finished mounting modules in the 2nd rack case. Got quite a bit more stuff without any cases to put in yet - I think I'm going to have to get a couple of custom made cases, as I'd ideally like a couple more that I can lay flat in front of these 2.

[img][/img]
BugBrand
Ooh, those blue panels don't half stick out like sore thumbs!
solitaryzen
BugBrand wrote:
Ooh, those blue panels don't half stick out like sore thumbs!

Yeah, I need a whole row of them (at least!) help cry
emergencyofstate
@solitaryzen

What's the module directly to the right of the mankato??
solitaryzen
emergencyofstate wrote:
@solitaryzen

What's the module directly to the right of the mankato??

It's a Megaohm Delta VCF (yes, very different looking to the standard 5U version).
Adam-V
Nice!

I thought the growth rate of my frac rig was mad...

Cheers,
Adam-V
tIB
frac drum!

FxCam_1314363681810 by sonofprent, on Flickr

the bug stuff at the bottom (except the prc5 wavefolder) is going elsewhere, have a vca/mix, filthy filtre and synthacon to replace with.
a100user
My BugModular in it's new case

s o l v e n t
FYI...

"I Dream Of Wires" & MATRIXSYNTH - Modular Pic of the Week Contest

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=602223#602223

Or direct link here:

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/10/i-dream-of-wires-matrixsynth-present. html
e-grad
My current set up. There is quite a number modules I've soldered yet cannot mount since I'm lacking frames.

Pic by Alex Fuchs.
Spencer
scozbor
Wow nice tower!!
vmgas

made a couple minor changes in my main guy i use
still wanting to just keep it at this size
took out my mankato and put the bugbrand ctl1 in its place..took out a yusynth arp filter and replaced it with the frequency divider
put in a metalbox adsr
at some point im gonna get another lfo to put in one of the top corners i think and maybe another 1u guy of some kind on the other corner

dunno what im gonna do with the arp filter right now,,the mankato is currently in one rack system.i might go ahead and start a second rack on that one in a couple months and stick the arp in there

i like to keep everything kind of travel friendly
Moog$FooL$
vmgas wrote:

made a couple minor changes in my main guy i use
still wanting to just keep it at this size
took out my mankato and put the bugbrand ctl1 in its place..took out a yusynth arp filter and replaced it with the frequency divider
put in a metalbox adsr
at some point im gonna get another lfo to put in one of the top corners i think and maybe another 1u guy of some kind on the other corner

dunno what im gonna do with the arp filter right now,,the mankato is currently in one rack system.i might go ahead and start a second rack on that one in a couple months and stick the arp in there

i like to keep everything kind of travel friendly

i like set-ups like that.... as long as they get the job done. that's all that matters!
thumbs up
KNYST
Damn, vmgas! That is one great looking rig!!! w00t SlayerBadger! nanners

And it makes me smile as well - thanks for posting!
fluxmonkey
nice to see where some of my handywork landed, vmgas... looks fearsome!

bbob
fluxmonkey
doing some rearranging, here's where we are today::

Cat-A-Tonic
That is beautiful, Fluxmonkey. love

The DIY 2x4 table for the lovely Wiard cab looks tough.

What every Euro system needs is a large Frac system to keep it company,
and Wiard 300 is a huge bonus.

What is in the grey box on the table?
rezzn8r
awsome rig! SlayerBadger!
Moog$FooL$
fluxmonkey wrote:
doing some rearranging, here's where we are today::

uuhmmm....... woah woah woah

jawdrop fap fap fap... Blacet thumbs up w00t!! Wow! Clap Lotsa Love Lotsa Love Lotsa Love headbang
emergencyofstate
^^ DITTO

I will sleep soundly tonight knowing this exists
KNYST
that is a mighty temple you've created, bbob. Fantastic SlayerBadger!
fluxmonkey
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
What is in the grey box on the table?

one of the ciat-lonbarde paper circuits... mr. grazzi, i think. there are a couple of peter's designs that i often use as controllers, patched in via blacet IO or Oakely EFG
Adam-V
That is indeed a very tasty setup.

What's the module with the sliders in the bottom middle cabinet?

Cheers,
Adam-V
fluxmonkey
Adam-V wrote:
That is indeed a very tasty setup.

What's the module with the sliders in the bottom middle cabinet?

Cheers,
Adam-V

analog tracking generator, design based on grant richter's
Adam-V
Brilliant, thank you.

Cheers,
Adam-V
vmgas
fluxmonkey wrote:
nice to see where some of my handywork landed, vmgas... looks fearsome!

bbob

and your handywork is treating me wonderfully
werock
Very cool setup fluxmonkey - though it looks like your main bench is starting to sag under the weight of it all!
vmgas
also its really nice to see systems that are a bit more visually enjoyable to look at....i get a bit bored of just seeing uniform black with frac.
rad you have some peter b going on...havent seen peter in forever actually. he used to live a few blocks away but moved when his lady got pregnant
werock
vmgas wrote:
also its really nice to see systems that are a bit more visually enjoyable to look at....i get a bit bored of just seeing uniform black with frac.

You won't like my new case then - went and got some black shelving from the DIY store to make up a single row sequencing rack yesterday. hihi
Hopefully have some pictures tonight...

(Although my main rack has some Bugbrand blue)
werock
Here's the start of my sequencing rack:

Binary Zone
Paia Multiple
VCPS (Fonitronik)
Quantiser (MFOS)
Seq Switch
Analog Logic (Metalbox)
And I need to order a new Blacet Freq Divider...

Buying shelving from the DIY store and just about cobbling it together is the extent of my woodworking skills.
Cat-A-Tonic
The VCPS looks awesome.
Between that and the Binary Zone you are going to have some crazy binary sequencing action going on.

I highly recommend a Window Comparator.
vmgas
the paia multiple looks so good
i have to fix my blacet seq switch...one of my jacks is kinda fucked but it's such a useful little module
solitaryzen
Nice looking panel - what are the mods to the Blacet sequential switch?
e-tron
^^

Werock, I'm just about to add LEDs for stages on my switch.
Any tips?

Looks good!
cerebrosis
Looks lke 3/4 step switch, clock out and stage leds. thumbs up
e-tron
With some re-organizing and a couple of mods, that's it for a while.

werock
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
The VCPS looks awesome.
Between that and the Binary Zone you are going to have some crazy binary sequencing action going on.

I highly recommend a Window Comparator.

I have got one in my main rack - it's one of those things I'll have to decide whether to move or not. hmmm.....
werock
cerebrosis wrote:
Looks lke 3/4 step switch, clock out and stage leds. thumbs up

It's going to be a reset in, the extra jack is not wired to anything yet. I bought it already modded off Darenager ages ago.

I wouldn't have dared do it myself, what with drilling holes in the PCB.

e-tron wrote:
Werock, I'm just about to add LEDs for stages on my switch.
Any tips?

I can take some photos tonight - it's not properly mounted yet as I need to finish wiring up the reset in. And there are some notes on the schematic that I'll dig up too.
idiotunderground
Quote:
I can take some photos tonight - it's not properly mounted yet as I need to finish wiring up the reset in. And there are some notes on the schematic that I'll dig up too.

please do, would love to see any mods available
RealDudes
E-tron - that rig is beautiful! I love the buchla
I'm not being sarcastic. it's nice to see somebody that doesn't give a shit about homogeneity in the rack
werock
Ok, here's a couple of photos and brief explanation (bearing in mind I didn't do the mods)

Underside of PCB:

4 tiny holes have been drilled in the PCB - 3 are for the stage out LEDS, which connect via a resistor to the IC pins and 1 for a common ground connection. The white wire from pin 8 is the ground connection.

Top Side:

Ignore the gray, pink & orange wires, they are for the 3/4 stage select switch which has been brought out to the front panel.

The white ground wire from the first pic doesn't have any insulation on this side, so you can just see the bare wire marked 'GND' next to the 3rd jack down. This connects one leg of all the LEDs to ground.

The 3 stage out wires that we saw on the underside connecting to the IC pins are the legs of the 3 vertically mounted resistors, with wires going from the other eend of the resistors to the LEDS.

Electrically it is all quite simple, just connect the resistors directly to pins 3, 2 & 4 of the 4017 chip and the other end to the LEDs. It just involves drilling through the PCB, which could of course end in sad banana sad banana sad banana

And you have to drill holes in the panel for the LEDs.

I'll do my best to answer any more questions...
Cat-A-Tonic
That's very cool WeRock.
Please copy those pics to the Blacet Modifications sticky so that people can find them easily in the future.
Cheers.
idiotunderground
can't wait to add these mods for the seq switch, thanks werock!
werock
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
That's very cool WeRock.
Please copy those pics to the Blacet Modifications sticky so that people can find them easily in the future.
Cheers.

Done!
e-tron
Werock -- That's great!!

RealDudes -- Thanks. The Buchla preamp-detector will soon get a
faceplate. I'm trying to get everything shoehorned
in the smallest space possible. I'll be taking 1Fu off
the WC and MW.
numan7
here's my tiny little frac-baby:

it will sit above the anyware inseqt sequencer, and below the 8x8 vc-matrix mixer, in my center rack, once i have relocated my video synthesis modules to a portable 12u case...

a new BugBrand! syn01-weevil is currently on its way over from the uk! hyper ... and i'm planning to add some blacet, metalbox and synthesis technology f-series modules early next year! Rockin' Banana!

cheers,
7n7
Cat-A-Tonic
e-tron wrote:
I'll be taking 1Fu off the WC and MW.

I did the same thing + a 1FU Mixer Processor.
There are pics of the new panels somewhere around here.
e-tron
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
e-tron wrote:
I'll be taking 1Fu off the WC and MW.

I did the same thing + a 1FU Mixer Processor.
There are pics of the new panels somewhere around here.

I know - thanks for posting those pics. Seeing your set-up made me
go for it. My Mixer Processor is done. If space is a concern, it's worth
the effort.

Nice to see some new Frac system taking shape thumbs up
tIB
The frac is inavading the euro...

FxCam_1324657365321 by sonofprent, on Flickr

...and the frac drum that lives next to it...

FxCam_1324657387166 by sonofprent, on Flickr
solitaryzen
Nice! What's the middle module in the first pic? (between the EG1s).
tIB
Cwejman res4, shoehorned into frac where it will stay forever... love it! My favorite euro module and one Id keep a 12v PSU for if I ever sold the rest, sounds like a vintage swimming pool in a forest.
KNYST
tIB wrote:
Cwejman res4, shoehorned into frac where it will stay forever... love it! My favorite euro module and one Id keep a 12v PSU for if I ever sold the rest...

I'm right with you SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

tIB wrote:
...sounds like a vintage swimming pool in a forest.

we're not worthy best description ever! Rockin' Banana!
otoskope
Here's my growing bananafrac system. Mostly Bugbrand, but quite some wiard, blacet and metalbox, too. And a few odd ones. Just acquired a bunch of these modules used (from ekofisk), so not all power is sorted out, and where to put the vertical rack on the left...

But it's becoming a great system. The bugs are just fantastic, and in good friends' company they flower even more beautifully.

I also have a half-built PAiA 9700 rack, and one empty frame, a Doepfer basic system (to be sold) and a Wretch machine...not all sorted in the same shelf, yet.

/Palle
numan7
woah awesome frac system, 'oskope! we're not worthy

cheers,
7n7
rezzn8r
numan7 wrote:
woah awesome frac system, 'oskope! we're not worthy

cheers,
7n7

+1
love the 'nana mankato love
Adam-V
That's a great system otoskope.

Cheers,
Adam-V
KNYST
My god, Palle - you've really let yourself go... hihi
I'd love to snatch some of those for my own Bananas. Looks fantastic! SlayerBadger!
otoskope
Yes, isn't it inspiring!? hyper Actually, I'm just being guided by coincidences, such as getting into the Bugbrand, and stumbling upon offers to buy a few bunches of used bananafrac of other brands. Through this I learned how good the Wiards and the Metalbox modules are - and Blacet. They all complement each other nicely.

But without the bananas - nope cry They make everything so much easier and more fun!

/Palle
tIB
^ congrats palle, I had my eyes on a few of those bits myself, great fun. Still toying with the idea of nanafying the frac stuff at some point, though since Id likely keep the bug and the fracdrum patched seperately Im not entriely sure its worth the effort. Anyway, look forward to hearing it!

Here's my current bug rig:

FxCam_1324577140479.jpg by sonofprent, on Flickr
parasitk
So... What once was this:

Is now this:

And these will eventually be re-paneled into the Coppersynth as I move totally out of the Frac format. It was a fun ride though! w00t
scozbor
Cat-A-Tonic
^Awesome panel aesthetic,
and OTT kalimba.
Let us hear them combined on recording.
scozbor
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
^Awesome panel aesthetic,
and OTT kalimba.
Let us hear them combined on recording.

Cheers!
It's an Array Mbira. I've had it for ages but never really got into it. It has taken me a while to find a setup for it which works. I have been getting lots of noise and ground hum. I'm getting close but still not 100% happy with the results. There is some amazing ambience on the way from this thing though!! Om
e-tron
Shitty pic of Frac in action. Live music for theatre.

hellohihowareyou
Moog$FooL$ : is that an analogics sequencer in there?
Moog$FooL$
hellohihowareyou wrote:
Moog$FooL$ : is that an analogics sequencer in there?

weird.... do you mean e-tron?

the pic just above your post.
odempress
these setups are insane!

i'll have to post once i build a proper box.
odempress
Is there a case building thread?
s o l v e n t
This week we voted on the 26th Modular Pic of the Week... The contest lasts 30 weeks so there are now just 4 more chances for your photos to be considered. Time to get those photos in if you haven't already! Contest details below...

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/10/i-dream-of-wires-matrixsynth-present. html

No Frac pics at all so far!?!
dadek
muff's frac setup was pretty impressive in it's day...
scozbor
new camera! still trying to work out how to use it. no more crappy iphone pics SlayerBadger!

e-tron
^^^
Woah! What is that?
scozbor
e-tron wrote:
^^^
Woah! What is that?

my DIY frac-ness!
Moog$FooL$
scozbor wrote:
e-tron wrote:
^^^
Woah! What is that?

my DIY frac-ness!

oh come on now...... wont u please show & tell a little more than that. very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating waah
Adam-V
scozbor wrote:
new camera! still trying to work out how to use it. no more crappy iphone pics SlayerBadger!

We want full frontal shots you cheeky little tease!

Cheers,
Adam-V
scozbor
lol there are a few pictures on the last few pages of this thread - but only crappy Iphone pics. I won't have the good camera for a few days now, but will post some more shots soon - including the juicy (messy!) bits.
tIB
Fracdrum is complete!

Obviously it isn't really- Im on the lookout for a doepfer A189-1 again for bitcrushing, thoough that's not frac. The big panel below is an 8 way attenuator/amplifier module, distorts nicely. There's some rack stuff under that too- compressor, digital effects... really happy to have squeezed the QMMG in as I was real light on filtering figuring that out.
parasitk
tIB wrote:
Im on the lookout for a doepfer A189-1 again for bitcrushing, thoough that's not frac.

How about a Socket Rocket ROM for the MiniWave? It can do some interesting bit stuffs.
tIB
^ not a bad idea that, Im tempted for a second miniwave but I think unless I find a euro conversion Im just out of space.

I do like that doepfer thing though, aside from the spring verb its probably my favourite doepfer module. The A112 8bit sampler thingy might be a good/better shout for that config too... Ill keep my eyes out.
vmgas
here are some shitty blurry pictures of my current and revised setup

xonetacular
Forgive my ignorance and no offense to the frac guys but I can't help but notice just how ugly frac is as a format. razz

Not sure if it's just the modules and rough paint or the rails thrown into ghetto looking racks or what- maybe it's part of the appeal and fun I don't know but just very different looking from some of the classy and clean setups in other formats.

Seems like being thrown into a falling apart particle board rack shoved in a bassment is a requirement for a frac system. That said still looks fun. thumbs up
Babaluma
Quote:
I can't help but notice just how ugly frac is as a format

i think it looks way more stylish than most euro rigs i see. but it's personal preference right?

do you think this looks ugly, for example?

or this?

tIB
Mine is definitely a case of substance over form. The blacet stuff is fugly, my encore freq shifter is the worst looking module I've seen... function wise they are fantastic though.

I love the look of metalbox stuff and if you count bugbrand as frac then I don't think you will find much better looking stuff than that.
scozbor
xonetacular wrote:
Forgive my ignorance and no offense to the frac guys but I can't help but notice just how ugly frac is as a format. razz

Not sure if it's just the modules and rough paint or the rails thrown into ghetto looking racks or what- maybe it's part of the appeal and fun I don't know but just very different looking from some of the classy and clean setups in other formats.

Seems like being thrown into a falling apart particle board rack shoved in a bassment is a requirement for a frac system. That said still looks fun. thumbs up

frac cares not for euro hipsters either twisted w00t
SYN7HOR
I agree with poster saying many frac systems are ugly (I only use euro, so I'm obviously "biased"), but the second one posted above looks great, at least function-wise. Love the symmetry. The fonts used are horrible though.

Also, I wouldn't mind some built-in attenuators and multipliers in my Doepfer cases.
Norman_Phay
I totally fail to see the point of dropping in to diss the visuals of a synthesizer system you have absolutely no intention of buying or using.

As a non-user of these instruments, surely you are better to offer criticisms of your own chosen system/format, in order to then make your own user experience a happier one. (IE ppl make shit less ugly-ass in the format you buy, hopefully)

Also, this:

http://bible.cc/luke/6-42.htm
Cat-A-Tonic
Of the manufacturers that have, in the past,
made modules for both Euro and Frac
(Bananalogue, Oakley, Cynthia...)
I personally think the Frac versions are more pleasing to the eye.

Frac is a friendly format for those who DIY.
DIY naturally yields a larger variety of aesthetic quality than manufactured products.

I generally like the look of Blacet modules;
though I prefer the simple title fonts (micro LFO) to the 'playful' ones.
vmgas
not everyone playing synth is an elitist yuppie
me personally, i dont have a lot of money..it took me 3 years to be able to put together 5 racks..so i'll make shit work
ill make a case out of scrapwood laying around in my building, i dont give a fuck..maybe it weighs a ton and doesnt look "clean" but who cares if the shit works.
function over fashion
ghetto synth crusts 2012 homie

and to be real..there are so many gross looking euro modules..lookin like tribal tattoos and energy drinks. not for me dog.
e-tron
^^

Truth!!
Adam-V
xonetacular wrote:

And nobody has EVER chucked a module of any other format into a shitty looking chipboard cabinet. d'oh!

I am an aesthete of the highest order but at the end of the day, these are just highly personalised tools for making sound; as long as the owner of said tools is happy about how they look and they function as expected, it ultimately doesn't matter what they look like.

Cheers,
Adam-V
FrankV
xonetacular wrote:

Hmmm.

I dunno.

Doesn't seem terribly ugly to me, but I'm biased! hihi
I suppose I should remake all the non-blue panels in Bug-livery for extra class! (also note that some of the raw aluminum paneled modules are semi-prototype bits or things I threw in to see if I liked them with the system)

Frank
fluxmonkey
xonetacular wrote:
Forgive my ignorance...

acknowledged, and forgiven. meh
gnpick
"ghetto synth crusts 2012 homie"

EARD DAT
Cat-A-Tonic
Frac Tower July 2012
werock
Looks great - and still room for more w00t

What are the 2 silver modules? Something DIY I guess...
Cat-A-Tonic
werock wrote:
Looks great - and still room for more w00t

What are the 2 silver modules? Something DIY I guess...

Repaneled Mini-Wave up top,
CGS Digital Noise down low.

There are a few modules outside the rack at the moment,
and piles of DIY yet to tackle.
rezzn8r
I just re-racked my Frac in an 18RU case.

werock
That's one big tower of awesome! A great selection of modules by the look of it.
rezzn8r
Thanks!
It's a little light on EGs for a stand-alone system, but I plan to remedy that situation soon.
vmgas
new passive mixer
just did it up today
2 networks of 3/1
pots and on/off switch for each input
fun times
scozbor
amazing rig rezzn8r applause
rezzn8r
scozbor wrote:
amazing rig rezzn8r applause

Thanks! I've really been enjoying patching with it lately. It should be full soon. I've already added a pair of Blacet D/A/Ds since that pic, and I'm going to pull the Blacet 2210 Multi/Atten to make room for an Oakley VCO.

Here's a pic of it patched in its current state
cerebrosis
Love that system, rez!!! Guinness ftw!

You sold the frac zerosc?
rezzn8r
cerebrosis wrote:
Love that system, rez!!! Guinness ftw!

You sold the frac zerosc?

Yeah, I sold it back to Muff. I have a Teezer in my 5U cabinet, though thumbs up
noisefor
bedfellows
rezzn8r
nice!
what's in the right ear?
noisefor
rezzn8r wrote:
nice!
what's in the right ear?

thanks! it's just a mult/att split between the two ears... your set up is epic btw!!! thumbs up
fracmonkey
Oh, I get it: the PCB is in two parts... Quite clever of you! we're not worthy
noisefor
fracmonkey wrote:
Oh, I get it: the PCB is in two parts... Quite clever of you! we're not worthy

well thanks... but Cat-A-Tonic is the king of clever when it comes to frac ear mods! Ninja
jamb
live (and only) rig. just trying to find a wiard 1200 filter for the one vacancy, then it's complete! spinning though i have a time machine and JAG on the way, which will be fun to try and wiggle into this setup somehow. might make something like this for jag/joystick... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=384374&l=6e3f35eed8&id=164701833 585144
the shallow depth of the hex zone would also make it nice it its own mini housing...the gator case (gr-6s) i have has plenty of room behind racks that i could use velcro/ something else in the extra space to strap in something like the external hex zone/ or jag when traveling... hmm.. Guinness ftw!

rezzn8r
nice applause
I have a Hex Zone en route. Can't wait to give it a spin.
jamb

not pictured: Time Machine
D/A A/D
Frac is just fucking sexy...
jamb
D/A A/D wrote:
indeed.
D/A A/D
jamb wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
indeed.

Your setup, doubly so sir!
jamb
D/A A/D wrote:
jamb wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
indeed.

Your setup, doubly so sir!

hah thanks.. i never planned on having a setup of more than 6u, but you know how it goes... smile

it'll take me purchasing about 12u's worth of modules to figure out the best possible 6u setup for what i'm trying to do. now that i have 300 modules on the way (bantam style) shit will start getting really wiard.
Adam-V
D/A A/D wrote:

Blacet Blacet Blacet Blacet Blacet Drunken Homer Simpson

Cheers,
Adam-V
unease
This is my modified 9700s that I built several years ago. I've put the MIDI-CV module in one ear and the other ear is front plate for a Paia reverb unit that is bolted on the back of the case. I also added a new module that is based on two EFM module, the ladder filter VCF2f and LFO5A.

You might also spot an Virus TI and a Pro-One. The plan is to expand the modular with 6U Eurorack [ducking!] :-)
dogoftears
Just re-organized my studio and purged most of my Euro. I'm 95% frac now: (horribly shitty iPhone pic)

Proof that it all works: (this one is just the Bugs and Wiard-frac)

themanthatwasused
dogoftears
Great looking and sounding setup man!
I think the frac wiard is a great combination to the bugs especially when bananafied. Another dream that would be hard to attain for me.
dogoftears
themanthatwasused wrote:
dogoftears
Great looking and sounding setup man!
I think the frac wiard is a great combination to the bugs especially when bananafied. Another dream that would be hard to attain for me.

i'm hoping to eventually bananify the whole system, tho the wiards' will be first for sure. then i can post my system in the banana systems thread It's peanut butter jelly time!
Babaluma
a fully bananafied wiard 1200/300/blacet system would be insanely awesome!
tIB
Fracattack!

IMAG0235 by sonofprent, on Flickr

FxCam_1357328949499 by sonofprent, on Flickr

At some point in the not too distant Im going to banana the lower half of the frac rig. Ill do all of it if the hex zone can be converted. Although I love the bug filter I think I want to keep blue out of the blacet side so that will likely go. Have a miniwave to go in another gap too. Blacet BugBrand!
idiotunderground
hex can be converted to nanners haven't done it mysef-mine is stock minijks- but i know someone who has
jamb
tIB wrote:
Fracattack!

Awesome looking setup tIB.... are those just euro racks holding your fracs on the top pic?
dogoftears
jamb wrote:
tIB wrote:
Fracattack!

Awesome looking setup tIB.... are those just euro racks holding your fracs on the top pic?

those look like bugbrand frac frames--- ingeniously designed to house 11 FW's instead of 10!
jamb
killer! those aren't very deep cases though, are they?
dogoftears
jamb wrote:
killer! those aren't very deep cases though, are they?

only 3 or 4 inches depth.
good for bugbrand modules and some blacet ones and all the wiard frac
dogoftears
wait a sec that's a good point...
tIB how do you have all those deep blacet modules in that bug frame??
tIB
Not bug frames, they are some euro rails with the lip machined off and DIY side panels. I'm way too OCD to let one width go to waste, and I can also squeeze in a 4hp of dirty euro in there too!
Cat-A-Tonic
tIB wrote:
Not bug frames, they are some euro rails with the lip machined off and DIY side panels. I'm way too OCD to let one width go to waste, and I can also squeeze in a 4hp of dirty euro in there too!

Don't the rails have to be vertically offset a bit for the screws to line up with Frac?
tIB
^ yep, I usually have my old man make the sides to match, though Ive also cowboyed it and drilled the holes wider- its only a few mm.
e-tron
Here's my solution to the synth tapas bar (AKA modular) conundrum.

Wine crates.

I try to keep it to a minimum for clarity. Many unpowered modules
dumb in the wings.

a100user

New case for my BugBrand, designed by me and realised by Ross (microscopial) Lamond
Moog$FooL$
ah yes!!
this thread always brings me back to the original reason for me coming to this place.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
e-tron
That BugBrand system is NICE!!!
a100user
Thanks for the nice words.

It is a great case, Ross did a great job.
werock
That's a really nice looking case & system - I'd want to take that to bed too!
jamb

thumbs up
rezzn8r
MY ASS IS BLEEDING You found a Boogie This is fun! congrats!
Is it everything you expected?
themanthatwasused
Congrats on catching your white whale!
Guinness ftw!
I hope to one day snag mine ( bug format e350)
Happy wiggling.
jamb
rezzn8r wrote:
MY ASS IS BLEEDING You found a Boogie This is fun! congrats!
Is it everything you expected?

Yeah thanks! I'm so psyched to have it in my setup... My setup wasn't complete without it. I was actually on the phone with Grant Richter a couple of weeks ago talking about converting a Malekko Boogie to Frac when he offered to sell me his own personal Boogie... so, that was that! thumbs up

Next up, Borg Filter!

I have another 3Us worth of modules but at the moment I just want to keep my setup to 6U. I might make a little standalone case for the Hex Zone.
Ted2

it's coming along!
werock
Cool! Are you assembling the modules yourself?
Ted2
Thanks! I've assembled about half of them. The others are factory assemblies. I'm working on the Hex Zone right now!
werock
Here's my current Frac setup (another terrible phone pic):

Moog$FooL$
groovy....... gonna try to squeeze some diy into those little spots on the end?

8_)
senecio
[/img]
werock
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
groovy....... gonna try to squeeze some diy into those little spots on the end?

8_)

Yeah, it would seem a waste not to. Not sure what though...
werock
Nice unit you have there senecio thumbs up
Moog$FooL$
mults would fit. seriously, i just don't get it
perhaps look at some of the ideas people done to their frac ears.

hmmm.....
Tubeampguy
Here's my Blacet Rak-2.
Ted2
dude, nice!!!!!!! i am so jealous waah
Tubeampguy
Hey Ted, When did you upgrade to a Rak-2?
You most definitely need at least one DAD in there too! thumbs up
Try this, put your Micro LFO in high mode and patch into the FM input on your VCO. Pure FM magic! After I discovered that I knew I needed a second VCO just for FMing.
Ted2
Trying it right now-- sounds awesome!!!

I got a rak-2 a few weeks ago-- i added it to my single rack, so i am going for a three rack system now. Working on a Hex Zone kit right now, and am about to send in a paia vco for repair, looking forward to using both!! funds are a bit slow atm, but getting the eg1 and improb next. I think I might try a DAD, they look like great value!
Tubeampguy
Ted2 wrote:
Trying it right now-- sounds awesome!!!

I got a rak-2 a few weeks ago-- i added it to my single rack, so i am going for a three rack system now. Working on a Hex Zone kit right now, and am about to send in a paia vco for repair, looking forward to using both!! funds are a bit slow atm, but getting the eg1 and improb next. I think I might try a DAD, they look like great value!

I use the DAD on the gate output of the HEX DRIVE too.
bakedcircuit

Been a while since i threw any pics up here. here's my current rig - 4frame bug bomber + some more racks for the rest of my blues (wiard 300, 1200, lvco, bug minijacks, bug overflow, etc.). The remainder of 'black attack frac' are on the floor atm as i'm looking to trim down a bit since my GAS flared up/need to figure new housing.

Here's a closer looksee...

apologies for shitty iphone grainy-ness.
dogoftears
^awesome skull and setup!!!!
themanthatwasused
bakedcircuit
That's a mammoth of a set up.
Congrats!
rezzn8r
I just got my frac cabinet up and running again after swapping out the PS500 PSUs for a Hinton supply.

I've got some modules sidelined while I save up for a new cabinet, but I'm currently pretty happy with this configuration.
screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! love w00t
senecio
werock wrote:

Thanks!
It's fun to make music on something that looks like an old cigarette machine!
senecio
werock wrote:

Thanks!
senecio
werock wrote:

Thanks!
werock
rezzn8r - what do you have in your rack ears? Looking for some inspiration!
rezzn8r
werock wrote:
rezzn8r - what do you have in your rack ears? Looking for some inspiration!

Psycho LFO, ASR, Dual Ring Mod, passive attenuators, 8008 Bass Drums, SPDT Switches, 1/8 & 1/4 mults.
Adam-V
rezzn8r - that is one nice tower of frac power.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Tubeampguy
I have been receiving UPS and Fedex packages for the last two weeks! Here's a picture of my expansion to Super Stack!
werock
That's a good looking system, a great selection of modules by the look of it.
Ted2
Man, tubeampguy, that is sweet. you've got to post a demo!

how on earth did you get your hands on a dark star chaos? that's awesome! w00t
Tubeampguy
Ted2 wrote:
Man, tubeampguy, that is sweet. you've got to post a demo!
how on earth did you get your hands on a dark star chaos? that's awesome! w00t

Right now I have no video camera and need to get one soon just for demos!

I bought a used setup on Ebay. It included the DSC, Klang Werks, Freq Divider, Time Machine (needs work) and a Mixer/Processor (DOA)
Its was mounted in a PAIA rack frame, but with a Blacet PS 200 and a PSCONN2.
I pulled out the DSC and replaced it with Klang Werks right after I took the picture. twisted I would really like to trade the DSC for a STONZ, The STONZ is a module I REALLY want to have in my set up instead of the DSC! twisted
That was the start of my Frac set up. I still haven't sent the Time Machine or the Mixer/Processor back for repair! I still need to do that! eek! sad banana
rezzn8r
yes, very nice selection of modules, Tubeampguy. How do you like the Metalbox wave multiplier? I've had my eye on one of those for quite a while.
Adam-V
Nice set up Tubeampguy.

@rezzn8r
I haven't got the Metalbox wave multiplier but I built the CGS version it's based on and it is the mutt's nuts.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Tubeampguy
rezzn8r wrote:
yes, very nice selection of modules, Tubeampguy. How do you like the Metalbox wave multiplier? I've had my eye on one of those for quite a while.

Its a killer module! thumbs up
Tubeampguy
Adam-V wrote:
Nice set up Tubeampguy.

@rezzn8r
I haven't got the Metalbox wave multiplier but I built the CGS version it's based on and it is the mutt's nuts.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Thanks Adam!
synthcube
what a great setup!
needs a dual 258j oscillator

smile
Ted2
it's grown a bit! slowly making some progress. made a haphazard cabinet too.
Tubeampguy
Way to go Ted! thumbs up
Cat-A-Tonic
Here's the Frac rig as it currently stands.

and here it is in context with its Euro comrades.
rezzn8r
great looking setup, C-A-T. I think that frac tig could use a little more 'ear' development, though thumbs up
Cat-A-Tonic
rezzn8r wrote:
I think that frac rig could use a little more 'ear' development, though

Definitely.
and with the synth DIY backlog ahead of me
it's going to need some more cabinetry. Dead Banana
Adam-V
Nice mix of frac and Euro Cat-A-Tonic.

Cheers,
Adam-V
dogoftears
very cool Cat, an eclectic and unique selection of modules.
Tubeampguy
Here's my current set up.
werock
Cool setup, very neat & tidy lead storage!
a100user
Love seeing the Bugbrand modules in these systems, even if they are the perverted version grin
Tubeampguy
a100user wrote:
Love seeing the Bugbrand modules in these systems, even if they are the perverted version grin

I wish Tom would reconsider making limited runs with 3.5mm jacks. I really like his circuits, BUT I can't bring myself to mod ALL my modules and buy all new cabling! eek! sad banana
3.5mm allow me patching to all my Eurorack cases thumbs up
Cat-A-Tonic
Tubeampguy wrote:
I can't bring myself to mod ALL my modules and buy all new cabling! eek! sad banana

I feel exactly the same way.
synthcube
love the patch cord storage too! what a great system and must be easy to use...

and might that be serial number 00001 of the frac j3rk dual 258j oscillator down towards the bottom right?

smile
Tubeampguy
synthcube wrote:
love the patch cord storage too! what a great system and must be easy to use...

and might that be serial number 00001 of the frac j3rk dual 258j oscillator down towards the bottom right?

smile

Proper patch cable storage is vital! 8_)
Yes it is! SN00001 j3rk dual 258j oscillator in full effect! thumbs up Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! thumbs up

I just wish I could of had you sign the backside of the panel seriously, i just don't get it
a100user
Tubeampguy wrote:
a100user wrote:

I wish Tom would reconsider making limited runs with 3.5mm jacks. I really like his circuits, BUT I can't bring myself to mod ALL my modules and buy all new cabling! eek! sad banana

I just link the earth of the two systems and use 3.5mm to banana cables to link these two lovelies together.

Tubeampguy
a100user wrote:
Tubeampguy wrote:
a100user wrote:

I just link the earth of the two systems and use 3.5mm to banana cables to link these two lovelies together.

Nice cat! thumbs up
dJ dAb

PAiA THEREMAX Theremin, PAiA 6710 Vocoder, PAiA 6740 Hot Springs Reverb, PAiA 9302 Drum Tone Board, PAiA 9700 Midi to CV Interface (3), PAiA 9720 VCO, PAiA 9730 VCF, PAiA 9710 VCA, PAiA 9741 Dual VCA (2), PAiA 9744 CV Source + Attenuator/Mixer, PAiA 9747 Passive Mixer/Splitter (2), PAiA 9748 Balanced Modulator, PAiA 9752 Sample and Hold/Gate and Hold, PAiA 9753 Envelope Follower, PAiA 9754 Preamplifier, PAiA 9756 Linear to Exponential Converter, Blacet 2000 Dark Star Chaos Noise, Blacet 2010 Klang Werk Ring Mod, Blacet 2020 Freq Divider, Blacet 2030 Final Filtre, Blacet 2040 Mixer, Blacet 2070 EG, Blacet 2090 Wiard Mini Wave, Blacet 2100 VCO, Blacet 2200 VCA, Blacet 2210 Multi/Atten (2), Blacet 2225 I/O, Blacet 2300 Binary Zone, Blacet 2410 Dual Lin VCA, Blacet 2430 Micro LFO, Blacet 2440 StonZ VC Phaser, Blacet 2510 Improbability Drive, Blacet 2520 Bar Graph (2), Blacet 2600 Scanner, Blacet 2650 Seq. Switch, Blacet 2700 Window Comparator, Blacet 2780 Splitter, Blacet 2790 Mixer, Blacet 2800 Hex Zone, Blacet 2930 Quad VCA/Mixer, Blacet 3030 FX/Reverb, Midwest Analog ADV-Bass Drum, Midwest Analog ADV-Snare, Ken Stone CGS03 Psycho LFO (Almost Super), Ken Stone CGS08 V8 Simulator, Ken Stone CGS18 Drum Simulator, Ken Stone CGS19 Chime Simulator, Ken Stone CGS31 Digital Noise, Ken Stone CGS35 Steiner Synthacon Filter, Ken Stone Serge CGSSSG Smooth / Stepped Generator, Hex Inverter Liquid HiHat, Hex Inverter NeinOhNein Kick, Hex Inverter NeinOhNein Clap, Hex Inverter NeinOhNein Rim, Hex Inverter AteOhAte Mutant Cowbell, Hex Inverter batteryACID, Hex Inverter vcNOIZ, Mattson VCO, Mattson Amplitude Follower, Mattson Gate Delay, Mattson / Patchell VCF, Synthrotek DS8 Clone, Synthrotek Atari Punk Console, Synthrotek LoFi Fuzz, Synthrotek PT2399 Delay, Synthrotek 555 Timer, Barton BMC014 Looper/Delay, Highly Liquid MD24 Midi to Gate, Doepfer MTV16 Midi to CV, Gabotronics Xprotolab Oscilloscope, Percussive Synthesizer MPC Synare Drum Synth, Radio Shack LoFi Sampler w/ trigger in (2)

Builds to come:

Ken Stone CGS31 Digital Noise (#2), Ken Stone CGS47 Cynare, Ken Stone CGS48 VCO (3), Ken Stone CGS57 Bi-N-Tic Filter/Oscillator, Serge CGS114 DUSG, Serge CGS113 Wave Multiplier, Thomas Henry MPS & more by Hexinverter, Barton, etc.

Greetings!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frac-Rak-Users/221539761320648
construct09
Nice first post man!!! hyper
Welcome! Guinness ftw!
Moog$FooL$
greetings to you too. thumbs up
i "liked" fb. page btw.

Blacet Blacet Blacet
synthcube
That is really beautiful! Well thought out with the cable organization and monitors too! Welcome.
fracmonkey
Very nice!

Even the drapes and DV helmet.....
werock
@dy dab, your setup looks like it's a joy to use - and an interesting set of modules too. The whole layout looks very ergonomic.
spacemod
Heya,

Been out of the synth/music thing for a few years, but getting back to it. I have not quite 3 racks of frac.

Split between Blacet and Wiard modules. I will get some pictures up soon. Looking to grow the system and to integrate it more with my other equipment.

Been fun reading all of the old posts...
dJ dAb
Update:

Black & Blue Modular:

PAiA THEREMAX Theremin
PAiA 6710 Vocoder
PAiA 6740 Hot Springs Reverb
PAiA 9302 Drum Tone Board
PAiA 9700 Midi to CV Interface (3)
PAiA 9720 VCO
PAiA 9730 VCF
PAiA 9710 VCA
PAiA 9741 Dual VCA (2)
PAiA 9744 CV Source + Attenuator/Mixer
PAiA 9747 Passive Mixer/Splitter (2)
PAiA 9748 Balanced Modulator
PAiA 9752 Sample and Hold/Gate and Hold
PAiA 9753 Envelope Follower
PAiA 9754 Preamplifier
PAiA 9756 Linear to Exponential Converter
Blacet 2000 Dark Star Chaos Noise
Blacet 2010 Klang Werk Ring Mod
Blacet 2020 Freq Divider
Blacet 2030 Final Filtre
Blacet 2040 Mixer
Blacet 2050 Time Machine
Blacet 2070 EG
Blacet 2090 Wiard Mini Wave
Blacet 2100 VCO
Blacet 2200 VCA
Blacet 2210 Multi/Atten (2)
Blacet 2225 I/O
Blacet 2300 Binary Zone
Blacet 2410 Dual Lin VCA
Blacet 2430 Micro LFO
Blacet 2440 StonZ VC Phaser
Blacet 2510 Improbability Drive
Blacet 2520 Bar Graph (2)
Blacet 2600 Scanner
Blacet 2650 Seq. Switch
Blacet 2700 Window Comparator
Blacet 2780 Splitter
Blacet 2790 Mixer
Blacet 2800 Hex Zone
Blacet 2930 Quad VCA/Mixer
Blacet 3030 FX/Reverb
Midwest Analog ADV-Bass Drum
Midwest Analog ADV-Snare
Ken Stone CGS03 Psycho LFO (Almost Super)
Ken Stone CGS08 V8 Simulator
Ken Stone CGS18 Drum Simulator
Ken Stone CGS19 Chime Simulator
Ken Stone CGS31 Digital Noise
Ken Stone CGS35 Steiner Synthacon Filter
Ken Stone CGS48 VCO
Ken Stone CGS95 Reverb
Ken Stone Serge CGSSSG Smooth / Stepped Generator
Hex Inverter Liquid HiHat
Hex Inverter NeinOhNein Kick
Hex Inverter NeinOhNein Clap
Hex Inverter NeinOhNein Rim
Hex Inverter AteOhAte Mutant Cowbell
Hex Inverter batteryACID
Hex Inverter vcNOIZ
Mattson VCO
Mattson Amplitude Follower
Mattson Gate Delay
Mattson / Patchell VCF
Barton BMC 001 Simple CV Quantizer
Barton BMC 009 User Writable Quantizer
Barton BMC 011 Wave Animator
Barton BMC 013 Random Resonator
Barton BMC 014 Gate Delay / Looper
Synthrotek DS8 Clone
Synthrotek Atari Punk Console
Synthrotek LoFi Fuzz
Synthrotek PT2399 Delay
Synthrotek 555 Timer
Highly Liquid MD24 Midi to Gate
Doepfer MTV16 Midi to CV
Gabotronics Xprotolab Oscilloscope
Percussive Synthesizer MPC Synare Drum Synth
Radio Shack LoFi Sampler w/ trigger in (2)
DIY 8 channel Snake

Builds to come:

Ken Stone CGS31 Digital Noise (#2)
Ken Stone CGS47 Cynare
Ken Stone CGS48 VCO (2)
Ken Stone CGS57 Bi-N-Tic Filter/Oscillator
Serge CGS114 DUSG
Serge CGS113 Wave Multiplier
Thomas Henry MPS
& more by Hexinverter, Barton, etc.
Adam-V
To steal a little from your signature, that is indeed one might fine modular synth.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Epoch
Ted2 wrote:
it's grown a bit! slowly making some progress. made a haphazard cabinet too.

I know I'm a bit late with this bit of praise, but I honestly think that is the most inspirational photo I have seen on this site. Its achievable, looks like providing hours of fun and fits in with a family room to provide those odd "Five Minute Wiggling Moments" between other tasks.

Its definitely got the grey cells working, I can tell you.....and the Blacet web pages are getting a flogging.
Ted2
well shucks, thanks man! it sure has been a fun project
dJ dAb
My current OberMod panels...

Adam-V
Nice work. Aren't you worried about accidentally dropping a patch cable onto the pins of the ICs on that bleep labs module?

Cheers,
Adam-V
dJ dAb
If I was the type to drop patch cables lol Kiddin'. But, ya got a point. Not too concerned. Pretty slim chance and it's such a simple circuit, repair-wise. Dirt cheap parts too (purchased a lot of 10 atmega328 chips for $20. Hoping to make custom sound chips)

I would move it up but it's at the perfect angle to bang out beats. Now, I'll probably fry it? Dead Banana
whitewulfe
Okay, that is just absolutely gorgeous dj dAb!

Now I'm really curious as to where to get those panels, or at least designs! ^_^
fracmonkey
Look like Front Panel Express?
rezzn8r
dJ dAb wrote:
My current OberMod panels...

eek! we're not worthy SlayerBadger!
wow, that's three of the most beautiful frac racks I've seen in a while.
dJ dAb
Thanks guys. I tried my best to keep them consistent and follow the basic PAiA / Blacet layout. Designed by myself and fabricated by Front Panel Express.
ISOTROPOSPHERE
rezzn8r
ooooooo woah
love your bi-n-tic panel love love love
synthcube
dJ dAb wrote:
Thanks guys. I tried my best to keep them consistent and follow the basic PAiA / Blacet layout. Designed by myself and fabricated by Front Panel Express.

Love the Barton panels!! We have the Wave Animator coming out in frac soon, to complement the Quantizer, and more Barton designs in the works.
fluxmonkey
FPE discount available on their facebook page, thru end of month
dJ dAb
fluxmonkey wrote:
FPE discount available on their facebook page, thru end of month

Thanks for the heads up. Had a few serge panels waiting.
Spencer

There is a list of the modules here. https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105008
BananaPlug
Moog$FooL$
banana frac...... for a banana plug!!

nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Blacet Blacet headbang
rezzn8r
Here's a new pic to celebrate the 258J I received yesterday, and the Zero I received today!

Party time w00t

Adam-V
That is one mighty fine frac set up.

Cheers,
Adam-V
chachi
BananaPlug wrote:

the elusive makenoise frac wogglebug! sighted in its element!
BananaPlug
Actually it's an elusive early Makenoise euro Wogglebug which I've pinned into place by slightly overlapping the adjacent frac modules. Cheating but it works just fine.

Another alien has invaded since that pic was taken. The elusive Modcan frac CV Recorder!
construct09
Great systems guys thumbs up
Cat-A-Tonic
Bananaplug is such a cheater. hihi

He feareth not the format differences.
May they lay together in the same rack,
and dine together on a shared PSU.

No parallel mounted PCB shall be left behind.
For he, the Bananaplug, will mod them with grommets. we're not worthy It's peanut butter jelly time!
spacemod

Just picked up a 4th rack and a 3rd power supply along with a Klang Werk and a Binary Zone. It has been about 10 years since I had acquired the last modules in this rig.

I really like how the MicroBrute works with this rig.
Tubeampguy
My current configuration.
rezzn8r
Very nice collection of modules, Tubeampguy. Lots of my favs there; VCS, Miniwave, Plague Bearer, CGS Wave Multiplier, the list goes on.
How are you liking your 258J?
Tubeampguy
rezzn8r wrote:
Very nice collection of modules, Tubeampguy. Lots of my favs there; VCS, Miniwave, Plague Bearer, CGS Wave Multiplier, the list goes on.
How are you liking your 258J?

I really like it! It's Serial #0001 first one built up by Synthcube. Holds a special place in my system twisted
Moog$FooL$
thumbs up thumbs up

does synthcube have d-shaft knobs??
those don't look like his usual kind..... those look like the old blacet kind.

come to think of it...... anyone know what blacet is doing about replacing that discontinued style??
Tubeampguy
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
thumbs up thumbs up

does synthcube have d-shaft knobs??
those don't look like his usual kind..... those look like the old blacet kind.

come to think of it...... anyone know what blacet is doing about replacing that discontinued style??

No, There round shaft. The knobs came from my Makenoise Pressure Points. I upgraded to the new knobs and had these in my spare parts bin.
chachi
BananaPlug wrote:
Actually it's an elusive early Makenoise euro Wogglebug which I've pinned into place by slightly overlapping the adjacent frac modules.

if, like, SOME DAY, you just happened to have a screwdriver in your hand, and you were, say, just STANDING THERE...with nothing to do, and you wanted to just unscrew that module and take a picture of the board and pot mounting...and then post it to this thred...well that would just be really, really cool.

SlayerBadger!
jjclark
Here's a blast from the past, in my early days in synths.

I'm all Eurorack these days, but I got my start in Frac, with a PAIA 2700 with a shirt button keyboard, which you can see at the top of the first photo. I added a few DIY modules (PLL, joystick, don't remember what the others were) and my Dad made a couple of nice wood cases. The case in the lower photo was quite nice, but weighed a ton!

This was back in the late 70's. I never got the keyboards to work, and could never get the PAIA stuff to be in tune. My brother chucked everything out when I left it at his place when I went to grad school.

Cat-A-Tonic

New SynthTech DIY panels getting some sun in the garden.
LeftyLogic
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Those custom panels look wonderful! Guinness ftw!
Cat-A-Tonic
LeftyLogic wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Those custom panels look wonderful! Guinness ftw!

Thank you. Coffee Addiction FTW
dJ dAb
Here's some of my OBERmod Frac panels (a few new ones)...

Others in the works...

synthcube
Fantastic panels! Nice work!
rezzn8r
Commodore 64 interface ?! woah
Any details on that one?
dJ dAb
rezzn8r wrote:
Commodore 64 interface ?! woah
Any details on that one?

Yup, it's something I've wanting to do for a longtime. Basically it has din sync in/out options, midi in/out, tape in/out (for multitrack sync recording and playback) and a SD card floppy emulator... Using Mssiah and Steinberg Pro-16 w/ Card 32. The other panel has audio ins/outs and controls over the SID chip (might add vactrol cv over pots too, at some point). Also, last year I built a bunch of midi to gate, trigger and cv builds so the C64 will interface with those too. Fun times...

J3RK
That is ridiculously cool!!!! 8_) thumbs up applause applause w00t
Adam-V
Nice panels.

Cheers,
Adam-V
dJ dAb
Modified / enlarged the case to migrate over to 60" vector rails.

So far... I might be crazy.

Moog$FooL$
eek!
rezzn8r
Wow
Can't wait to see it all filled up
dJ dAb
rezzn8r wrote:
Wow
Can't wait to see it all filled up

Luckily, it'll take a while. hyper Currently, I can fill 4 rows (5 if I fill one w/ Eurocrack) out of 8 available.
Adam-V
Nice! Are you using sliding nuts or threaded strip in those?

Cheers,
Adam-V
dJ dAb
Sliding
Adam-V
Do you find them difficult to use? I imagine it's hard to get the nuts in the right place (queue dirty joke here!).

Cheers,
Adam-V
dJ dAb
Not terribly difficult but not as easy as Frac standard, of course.
dJ dAb
btw... My nuts are usually situated right where they should be, depending on the occasion. hihi
dJ dAb
Adam-V
That is going to be a lot of frac when it's filled!

Cheers,
Adam-V
dJ dAb
Getting there but, waiting on all the C64 and Mattson SQ816 panels...

construct09
eek! You can get cables that long??
dJ dAb
Multiples, splitters and mixers to be postioned in the center
rezzn8r
That will be an epic system when the case is full
we're not worthy
dJ dAb
A few more updates. Off to assemble...

Cat-A-Tonic
Can't wait to see & hear what you do with that custom Frac C64.

Absolutely insane woah
J3RK
That is indeed one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
rezzn8r
dJ dAb wrote:

something wonderful
fracmonkey
Just Fracin' awsome!
applause we're not worthy It's peanut butter jelly time!
dJ dAb
Need some blank panels but enjoying the feel of it. Trunk lines needed too but multiples in the middle, etc.

ginorobair
New configuration, with lower case in a rolling rack to make it easier to move around the studio. The SEM is hitching a ride.

dJ dAb
Finally I have a little Wiard in there... only took nearly 15 years d'oh! Oh yeah, JAG and NR en route too SlayerBadger!

and the following should be complete soon:

rezzn8r
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I really can't think of anything to say about your frac rig. It leaves me speachless. I am in awe.
scozbor
most insane frac setup i think i have seen SlayerBadger!
Moog$FooL$
king of the fracs! no??

seriously, i just don't get it
monstrinho
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
king of the fracs! no??

seriously, i just don't get it

Yeah, kind of the frac version of the Serge "Fist Of God"!!
rezzn8r
dJ dAb wrote:
Finally I have a little Wiard in there... only took nearly 15 years d'oh! Oh yeah, JAG and NR en route too SlayerBadger!

Yes, I see a Boogie in there. Sweet! That one really starts to shine when you start mixing the outputs.
thumbs up
Sooooo many option for the J.A.G. in your system. The mind boggles.

I'm curious how you power your system?
dJ dAb
Yeah, out of phase outs & routing options on the Boogie... just started going with that ;o)

Can't wait to get my hands on the JAG!

Oh yeah, 8x PS500s and picked up a couple PS800s a while back (yet to be installed. Might save for portable rig)

btw, Thank you for the kind words everyone. It's been a longtime build and I'm enjoying it immensly.
rezzn8r
dJ dAb wrote:

Oh yeah, 8x PS500s and picked up a couple PS800s a while back (yet to be installed. Might save for portable rig)

Wow, only 8. I expected more.
fracmonkey
Eight PS500 = 4A or 4000 mA. Figure maybe 50 mA per module = 80 modules. Mults need no power.

OK, someone count the modules.

BTW are the emoticons working?
dJ dAb
Good call, just about 80 powered from those ;o)
Other power supplies used for PAiA, C64 and Synthrotek bits.
dJ dAb
dJ dAb
Communication is the key...

dJ dAb
Recently got a scratch & dent EHX V256. Just for kicks...

werock
Looks like a cool project thumbs up

You seem to get more done in 2 weeks than I do in a year!
rezzn8r
dJ dAb wrote:
Communication is the key...

Hahahahahaha
dJ dAb
Just a couple more builds to go before summer, then it's strictly patch and playtime...

rezzn8r
Wow
scozbor
dJ dAb wrote:
Just a couple more builds to go before summer, then it's strictly patch and playtime...

when can we hear it? Rockin' Banana!
dJ dAb
Hopefully soon. Have plans to patch up something special, alongside some cool aerial fisheye cams. hihi
c1t1zen
Woah, glad I accidentally landed on this page from a random google search for something else.

Dooood DJ DAB applause

I recently bought 60" vector rails and was looking for inspiration. That C64 with monitor is beyond cool. Do you record all that analog gear at crunchy 8bit on the c64? cool
werock
rezzn8r wrote:
Wow

That sums it up perfectly!

How many voices do you have there?
J3RK
werock wrote:
rezzn8r wrote:
Wow

One-hundred-billion!! Mr. Green

applause thumbs up w00t
dJ dAb
c1t1zen wrote:
Woah, glad I accidentally landed on this page from a random google search for something else.

Dooood DJ DAB applause

I recently bought 60" vector rails and was looking for inspiration. That C64 with monitor is beyond cool. Do you record all that analog gear at crunchy 8bit on the c64? cool

60" vector rail from one of those smaller distributors is the way to go!
I think I bought from Gerber at $60 per 4 units.

The C64 is mostly for sequencing (Steinberg Pro-16) and adding some grit via Mssiah, Cynthcart, etc. cool
dJ dAb
J3RK wrote:
werock wrote:
rezzn8r wrote:
Wow

One-hundred-billion!! Mr. Green

applause thumbs up w00t

Need some Stroh Modular boards in the mix doe Guinness ftw!
Samuron
Had to build a bigger Frac cabinet:

It works great, but for some reason plays "Also Sprach Zarathustra" on powerup.
rezzn8r
Nice one, Sam
Which SynthTech modules do you have in there?
dJ dAb
I would guess Morphing Terrarium and Cloud Generator? Looking good btw!!!
Samuron
Yep; Morphing Terrarium. Cloud Generator, and Morphing LFO. The PAIA stuff is really just filler. grin
dJ dAb
I totally missed the Morphing LFO. Great modules!
dJ dAb
For those times you find yourself under the influence ...of MIDI...

Finally migrated all my Midi to CV boards to matching Frac panels Rockin' Banana!
J3RK
dJ dAb wrote:
For those times you find yourself under the influence ...of MIDI...

Finally migrated all my Midi to CV boards to matching Frac panels Rockin' Banana!

Nice!
studio.mars
A pic from October 2014.https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/uploadpic.php
a100user
My current Frac set-up. All BugBrand plus a Stroh VCF

BTW that last slot has been filled now.

Next boat to be started with BugBrand PEQ & Spring Tanker
dJ dAb
Beautiful!
a100user
dJ dAb wrote:
Beautiful!

Thank you. Tom does beautiful work and the casing is all Lamond.
dJ dAb
Hey, I know that Lamond guy hihi

[/img]
Moog$FooL$
..... hhmmmn. i'm lost, who are these people & why is there so much synth around & behind them??

woah woah woah woah nanners nanners SlayerBadger! w00t w00t
a100user
dJ dAb wrote:
Hey, I know that Lamond guy hihi

[/img]

Yep that's the boy smile

Typical beer in one hand and somebody else's knobs on the other wink
dJ dAb
Ha! Wish he'd come back and visit!!! TR-808's, vinyl, wood-working and modular synths were just a few of the shared interests over here. Oh yeah, BMX bikes too hyper
spacemod
I just re-housed the four panels into a single rack case from two 6-space cases. I filled the final 4 Frac spaces with 2 Blacet VCOs this fall.

I also have two battery powered Wiard Joystick Trigger units in project boxes.

Next panel will add 2 Blacet Super VCAs and 2 EG1s and maybe that new Mix3500 module. I am hoping to rearrange the modules so 1 panel fits into a skiff.

Right now for EG I am using a Sherman Filterbank (I like this EG alot) and 2 Arturia Microbrutes.

The SKB rack in which all of this is encased is a bit too deep. Any ideas on a more shallow rack that doesn't weigh a ton? It should be at least 17"deep, but not much more. 4 panels (12 spaces).

I feel like I have only cracked the surface with what I am doing with these machines. Putting more and more effort into coaxing music out of this beast.

rezzn8r
Great selection of modules, spacemod
What's in the top left corner?
spacemod
2 custom built Blacet Dark Star Chaos modules. I didn't want to wait for the silk screening of the panels, so I took them without.

Nick Liebrecht built these for me when he worked for Grant Richter. He did a great job.

They were my oscillators for a good 10 years in this system. Glad to have finally got the VCOs.

I still like them a lot!
KingOfTheTKBs
Original Wiard 1200 series, complete with the one-of-a-kind NL-1299 Kitten module.

fracmonkey
Or meowdule....
moogboy
I joined yinz ranks last week

if anyone happens to recognize this system//know the previous owner, I'd love to get in touch with them
LeftyLogic
Oh wow, that is a fantastic looking system!
moogboy
LeftyLogic wrote:
Oh wow, that is a fantastic looking system!

that is a big part of why I want to find the previous//original owner! I added the Miniwave, and removed the sequencers they had in the system, but it is a deeply idiosyncratic beast. The module placement really makes no sense at all to me, the module selection is pretty interesting to me on a lot of levels (why three filters?! ONE Quad VCA/Mixer? the questions are endless!), and there's this positively gorgeous hand bound binder with manuals for all of the Blacet modules in little dust sleeves. It's just MAGICAL though. Something about this synth is operating on a deep, deep plane.
fracmonkey
Where did you buy it? Maybe they have a clue.

Looks like you need a Super VCA!

Nice set of filters---all quite different.
moogboy
fracmonkey wrote:
Where did you buy it? Maybe they have a clue.

Looks like you need a Super VCA!

Nice set of filters---all quite different.

Control! I could always just call over and ask to be put in touch but I kinda like the mystery//would love to just stumble across them. kinda like a planned happy accident
rezzn8r
Nice system. The 1490 is one of my favourite filters.
werock
Here's my system as it is currently, in temporary cardboard cases. I wanted to have something wider than the usual frac cases so I ordered some 104hp vector rails and stuck them in these cardboard cases that I made up. I've just ordered some laser cut plywood to make proper cases with, so it will be a bit sturdier and hopefully look better!

One day I'll learn how to take a decent photo meh
monotom
@KingOfTheTKBs

Love the Wiard Frac modules (especially the cat). Is it still possible to get hold of them?
thee ghost ov n_phay
All Blacet, awesome system:

Moog$FooL$
nice!! thumbs up
fracmonkey
Simply gorgeous!
werock
I had some cases laser cut - I wanted a wider case than the standard racks:

The single space at the top right is for a SD78 snare I built from mangros's PCBs on Oshpark, which complements the Metalbox 8008 bass drum very nicely - I'm just waiting for a panel.

Not sure if it needs them, but I had some air vents cut into the side panels, as each case has its own power supply mounted inside the case:

As it's a wider case than normal I used vector rails for the mounting rails. It's a bit fiddly getting the nuts in the right positions within the rail, it's a good incentive not to change modules around too much.
chachi

have a 1u window comparator going in that hole, gonna need another rak.
Moog$FooL$
wow.... that Wiard joy rider seems rare-ish. no??
there can't be many of those around. hmmm.....
chachi
yeah only 11 of them. fantastic filter.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 32