MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

No love for the Axoloti DSP Board?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author No love for the Axoloti DSP Board?
Broadwave
I'm surprised that there's hardly any mention of the Axoloti DSP (€65/£50) here on Wigglers.

I came across it purely by accident a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd get one to mess around with - It turns out to be an amazingly useful board... Just fire up the editor and create your synth/effects etc (much like the old Nord Modular), download the patch onto the board, disconnect from your Mac/PC, and away you go - a completely independent modular synth that you can edit via CC's. Very clean sound with better anti-aliasing than some commercial VA's out there.

I've just built it into my Code 61 controller.

Jarno
Pretty cool!

I have two of them myself, from the crowdsourcing campaign Johannes did. But yeah, it does remain a little quiet around the Axoloti. Still need to put mine behind a panel.
snaper
I have one too.
After a couple of simple patches, I can say that this is a great little board.
Still in a paper box (grin), because I don't know what to do with it...order a plei enclosure, or put it into a 1U rack, or into a simple MIDI keyboard, still thinking gringringrin
richie
Yeh more people need to know about Axoloti, the hype went down as there was supply problems after the kickstarter, but that seems to be all sorted now. I guess people are waiting for that killer demo before jumping in.
flx
Oh ... I have one of these as well from the Kickstarter but never did anything with it. Is there a way to power it from a Eurorack bus board?
mush
flx wrote:
Oh ... I have one of these as well from the Kickstarter but never did anything with it. Is there a way to power it from a Eurorack bus board?

http://community.axoloti.com/t/euxoloti-for-axoloti-eurorack-module/10 0
kassu
I have one, it's very cool but I also haven't yet found what to do with it.

I think it can be powered straight from 12V (it has its own regulators for 5V and 3.3V). Inputs and ouputs need level shifting to make them modular level.

Lots of info and example patches on the axoloti forum: http://community.axoloti.com/
Dogma
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/423153472/bela-an-embedded-platfo rm-for-low-latency-interact

this has excellent potential and its already WAAAY funded - pretty cool
snaper
The most impressing thing with this Bela is the "PD to Bela convert".

But, Axoloti is much moooooore fun.
fma
I have one and have been working with Paul to Eurofiy mine. Its pretty far along with only a couple of minor bugs to fix. I have documented my build process here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rx9O_k-dUJQDzONVk0AzewmyFckbQyXHiN sPy8fmUj8/edit?usp=sharing

I love the environment and the board, and the community is pretty strong also. The board itself really feels like it was designed to be hacked. I have so many ideas I want to do with it, and really not enough time. For me the biggest drawback is trying to get my head around all the fixed point coding/ number representation if you want to make objects for it. Luckily a lot of other smart people have been figuring it out and doing a great job of putting out custom objects.
thelizard
I'm waiting for this Music Thing Axoloti Control panel:
http://musicthing.co.uk/modular/?p=1375

There's a group interest thread here for bulk ordering the PCB:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156318&highlight=
Tombola
It's a lot of fun with the control panel - bear in mind this video was recorded with the headphone jack plugged into a crappy old TV in a holiday home!

JohannesTaelman
snaper wrote:
The most impressing thing with this Bela is the "PD to Bela convert".

Pd to Bela depends on heavy/enzienaudio
which is NOT open source, or downloadable, only available as cloud service.
And only supports a limited subset of Pd objects.
glennfin
Wow.... I had no idea this existed!.. I'd love to give it a try...

Anyone using the patcher software with Ubuntu?
oisin
i love mine! looking to buy a few more if anyone wants to get rid of theirs thumbs up
ersatzplanet
I wish they had developed the Axolotl Control PCB too. It seems to have faded away and is no longer on their site.

oisin
I'm pretty sure the main developer on the axoloti project is still working on it. . don't quote me on that, but i remember reading that on the axoloti forums. and the LED screen and interface is definitely implemented in the software already ("remote" in the windows menu) so the hardware shouldn't be far behind..
oberling
glennfin wrote:

Hi, I can confirm that it runs smoothly using ubuntu (no suprise at least for the GUI and logic since it's java). Only the communication with the DSP could make problems, but that works great for me too.

I have tinkered a little with my Axoloti but not done anything ground breaking with it so far... So many projects going on right now. screaming goo yo
Chidori
I have one. It actually sounds really nice. I've been lazy and haven't really done anything substantial with it yet since I have so much other stuff to finish. Will probably use it as a simple VA polysynth, or I might use it stand-alone. Would be very cool if it is powerful enough to do an entire set (might be).

I'm not sure how I like the level of abstraction with it yet, coming from a background with PD. In some ways Axolotl is much nicer though.

I only wish it had individual outs instead of stereo. It's the only piece of gear I have that uses single stereo ins/outs.

Patcher works fine in Debian, btw.
glennfin
Thanks, It's nice to see support for something besides winblows and the fruit computer. hihi

oberling wrote:
glennfin wrote:

Hi, I can confirm that it runs smoothly using ubuntu (no suprise at least for the GUI and logic since it's java). Only the communication with the DSP could make problems, but that works great for me too.

I have tinkered a little with my Axoloti but not done anything ground breaking with it so far... So many projects going on right now. screaming goo yo
SoundPool
I've been wanting a Nord micro for some time and this looks like a much better substitute than something like a bunch of patch blocks. But to do a whole set I could see having something with a screen so I can see what patch I'm on or get a bit more visual feedback would be kind of crucial. If the Control or something similar were released I would jump on this pretty quick.
flx
Finally took my Axoloti out of its drawer and programmed an ambient synth and audio processing patch. This thing is amazing!!! A modern Nord Modular indeed! Here's a quick jam with it and my DIY Dronebox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHZacBRVPYM&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&in dex=1
sduck
Just found out about this recently - will be ordering at least 2.
flts
Finally ordered one, and immediately thought use for a second one... Getting unreasonably excited about the possibilities, and the thought of designing a custom control surface for this one.
ratsnake
axoloti alpha tester here o/
really love the project and learned a lot by tinkering around with it. Taking a break from it but can't wait to return - made a sq80 waveform oscillator synth with fm and weird memory allocation automation.

Also the Axoloti Control is still being worked on.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4