MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
revoltcrews
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

2) Toggle On (button LED should be On) the tracks where you want the incoming gate on Input 1-4 on the right to fire a NoteOn for the track. Toggle Off (button LED should be Off) the tracks where you the change of the CV to fire a NoteOn automatically for each V/Oct note reached by your incoming CV.

The NoteOff# jacks at the bottom will always fire a NoteOff when you send a Gate.

Curious as to this section of your explanation.

Do these NoteOFF jacks at the bottom & on the right,
respond better to Gates rather than triggers.
i.e- do fatter width gates have a better chance of turning notes on and off than skinny triggers.

I'm finding the NoteOn Led's at the top of the module not immediately responsive at times to gate and trigger inputs per note.
Daisuk
Just chiming back in to say that I've gotten the 221 to work sweetly with Resolume, finally. And it wasn't the 221's fault! It was me being a dimwit in setting up MIDI mapping in Resolume.

Anyway, it seems that by default, the 221 is sending out these MIDI CC's on MIDI Channel 9, in case anyone wants to know:

CV in 1 - CC Modulation
CV in 2 - CC Breath
CV in 3 - Control Change
CV in 4 - CC Foot Controller
CV in 5 - CC Portamento Time
CV in 6 - CC Data Entry MSB
CV in 7 - CC Volume
CV in 8 - CC Balance
CV in 9 - Control Change
CV in 10 - CC Pan
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:

2) Toggle On (button LED should be On) the tracks where you want the incoming gate on Input 1-4 on the right to fire a NoteOn for the track. Toggle Off (button LED should be Off) the tracks where you the change of the CV to fire a NoteOn automatically for each V/Oct note reached by your incoming CV.

The NoteOff# jacks at the bottom will always fire a NoteOff when you send a Gate.

i.e- do fatter width gates have a better chance of turning notes on and off than skinny triggers.

I'm finding the NoteOn Led's at the top of the module not immediately responsive at times to gate and trigger inputs per note.

Hi revoltcrews, sorry but I'm mot sure I'm following; what is your question exactly? NoteOff is an "instant" message whereas a NoteOn message's length depends on the Gate length, so they don't act in the same way from my experience.

To make things simpler let me know how you've set up your ADDAC 222 (e.g do you have certain tracks set to receive a NoteOn via the Gate input or do you have them set to react to CV change?) and what you're trying to achieve and I'll do my best to help you out!

Also, what is the issue with the LEDs on top? Do you find that they don't correlate with what's going on?
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

Hi revoltcrews, sorry but I'm mot sure I'm following; what is your question exactly? NoteOff is an "instant" message whereas a NoteOn message's length depends on the Gate length, so they don't act in the same way from my experience.

To make things simpler let me know how you've set up your ADDAC 222 (e.g do you have certain tracks set to receive a NoteOn via the Gate input or do you have them set to react to CV change?) and what you're trying to achieve and I'll do my best to help you out!

Also, what is the issue with the LEDs on top? Do you find that they don't correlate with what's going on?

I haven't changed the settings at all.
I'm sending a Gate + CV from the Varigate 8 into CV1 and NoteOFF 1 of the 222.
I have the CV channel on my varigate tied to a Gate channel. so the notes ONLY fires when a Gate does.. (i.e- i can delay, ratchet, multiply the gates so the notes respond specifically to these actions).
anwho... its pretty darn amazing module!!
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
I haven't changed the settings at all.
I'm sending a Gate + CV from the Varigate 8 into CV1 and NoteOFF 1 of the 222. I have the CV channel on my varigate tied to a Gate channel. so the notes ONLY fires when a Gate does.. (i.e- i can delay, ratchet, multiply the gates so the notes respond specifically to these actions).
anwho... its pretty darn amazing module!!

Based on what you say you are firing MIDI NoteOffs on the ADDAC 222 and the module is handling the NoteOn's whenever it detects that your CV value at the CV1 input has reached a 12-tet V/Oct note. That's the standard way it works for each track unless you change it. Could be that that's the reason you're not seeing a correlation between what's going on with your Varigate and the LEDs on the 222 ... ?

It's a brilliant module! It's so playable, I mess around with velocity, octave switches, channel switches etc all the time. It's such a great hub I've been thinking ADDAC should make a similar module with VCA's and whatnot for analog voices! hihi
Paranormal Patroler
Just received a new firmware for the 221 and a new app. Did the update and tested the app and it works fine.

ADDAC should be contacting you soon with updates on this, just wanted to give you a heads up that it's thumbs up
Daisuk
Well, finally made a eurorack to Resolume video through 221 today, but Youtube just took a dump at it, for some reason, and it's not really worth watching. I'll try again later. d'oh! razz

It's a bit better if you watch it on Vimeo. Posting it here in case anyone's interested.

Paranormal Patroler
Just saw this on the Video Synthesis section d'oh! Great work man, you've definitely given me ideas. hihi I'd love to see a video of how you put it to work.
Daisuk
Good to hear! smile I've learned quite a bit over the last few weeks regarding video creation, it's a completely new world of weird rules and strange quirks. The process is quite cumbersome to do smoothly, so once I feel I'm really up to scratch on how to best do it, I can write a little "how to" guide or maybe even film a bit. It's a lot of fun when you see the images reacting to the CV though! Now to get to record and upload something in good quality. hmmm..... Mr. Green
ADDAC System
Hi! Sorry for the delay, we have the Configuration app available on our site

Get the application guide here!
Get the App for OSX here!
Get the App for Windows here!

Here's a link to printable Preset Sheets for those of us old-school enough to use 'em (I do!)

and here's a quick link to the ADDAC221's page just in case you need it. Any updates on any of the above I'll keep you posted!
Flohr
Thinking about getting a 222 to use the Ornament + Crime to sequence polysynths. Would it be technically possible to get 24 note poly going provided your midi device supported it? As in all channels set to 6 voice wrap and all going to the same midi channel.
Paranormal Patroler
Flohr wrote:
Thinking about getting a 222 to use the Ornament + Crime to sequence polysynths. Would it be technically possible to get 24 note poly going provided your midi device supported it? As in all channels set to 6 voice wrap and all going to the same midi channel.

You'd have to sequence your polysynth carefully (unless you like dissonance), but I don't see why you couldn't. You can have all tracks aim at the same channel and have them all at 6 voice wrap.
damase
Is ordering direct the only way to get these in the US? Ive got no experience with addac modules yet
ADDAC System
damase wrote:
Is ordering direct the only way to get these in the US? Ive got no experience with addac modules yet

Hi damase!

You can order directly from us if you want. Just use our order page! We're preparing a big batch to send out to Analogue Heaven in the near future.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
revoltcrews
bug report with the 222 :

bug1 -stuck/hung notes when main sequencer is stopped.
having to press each buttons channel on the 222 to stop hung notes.
I'm using the 222 in the mode where a gate tied to the sequencer is patched into the "All Notes Off/ Notes On" section on the right.
I was also experiencing hung notes in standard mode where the incoming CV fires a note.

EDIT: 2nd bug:
--it only alters the pitch when you put it in the mode where an incoming gate to the “All Notes On/OFF” triggers the CV for the sequence.
--i’m only using 1 channel on the 222 in 1 Voice mode
I’ve reproduced this both on my computer and with my OB-6.
My 222 will play a sequence of notes from incoming CV, say, 2 passes of same sequence,
on 3rd pass, it ignores the incoming sequence completely or changes the octave or notes altogether.

at times, it’s back and forth per sequence pass, playing the incoming sequence 1 time, then changing it or misses notes, doubling gates.

So, How are folks using the "ADJ trimmer per channel" to adjust deviation ?
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:

I'm using the 222 in the mode where a gate tied to the sequencer is patched into the "All Notes Off/ Notes On" section on the right.
I was also experiencing hung notes in standard mode where the incoming CV fires a note.

Hey man, I don't think that's a bug. Which sequencer are you using? Does it lower the gate to 0V when stopped so that the 222 sends out a NoteOff?

When used in the "Standard Mode", as you call it, and you stop the sequencer you need to press the buttons otherwise it wouldn't know when to send a NoteOff, since you've stopped the sequencer. That's why I use the AllNotesOff inputs or the track-note-off inputs to kill the notes. You can create cool syncopation this way, on top of muting the notes when you stop your sequencer.

revoltcrews wrote:
--it only alters the pitch when you put it in the mode where an incoming gate to the “All Notes On/OFF” triggers the CV for the sequence.
My 222 will play a sequence of notes from incoming CV, say, 2 passes of same sequence,
on 3rd pass, it ignores the incoming sequence completely or changes the octave or notes altogether.

at times, it’s back and forth per sequence pass, playing the incoming sequence 1 time, then changing it or misses notes, doubling gates.

Something is amiss. I never had an issue with a steady incoming sequence becoming scrambled on second/third pass and I've pushed this module to its limits. Help me reproduced the mistake please to see if it's indeed a bug.

Honestly I never touched the trimmers and I asked ADDAC about them but all I got was that they're not necessary unless you have an issue. I suggest we try to solve your problem, see if it's an error on the module or whatnot and then see if trimming is needed. I love my ADDAC222 and 221 so if I can help someway or push to get a firmware fix (if necessary) I'm here for you dude.
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

Hey man, I don't think that's a bug. Which sequencer are you using? Does it lower the gate to 0V when stopped so that the 222 sends out a NoteOff?

When used in the "Standard Mode", as you call it, and you stop the sequencer you need to press the buttons otherwise it wouldn't know when to send a NoteOff, since you've stopped the sequencer. That's why I use the AllNotesOff inputs or the track-note-off inputs to kill the notes. You can create cool syncopation this way, on top of muting the notes when you stop your sequencer.

revoltcrews wrote:

Something is amiss. I never had an issue with a steady incoming sequence becoming scrambled on second/third pass and I've pushed this module to its limits. Help me reproduced the mistake please to see if it's indeed a bug.

Honestly I never touched the trimmers and I asked ADDAC about them but all I got was that they're not necessary unless you have an issue. I suggest we try to solve your problem, see if it's an error on the module or whatnot and then see if trimming is needed. I love my ADDAC222 and 221 so if I can help someway or push to get a firmware fix (if necessary) I'm here for you dude.

thanks for chiming in Paranormal Patroler:
the bug (if it is one) exists only when i change the way each track fires a Note : pressing all four buttons and then setting them to “Toggle On”. so a gate is required to fire the incoming CV. which is the way i want to use it.
I did try and adjust the ADJ.1 trimmer a little bit left and right to see if it would compensate. but the changing of cv still happens.

i'll do some more quality time this morning.
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
the bug (if it is one) exists only when i change the way each track fires a Note : pressing all four buttons and then setting them to “Toggle On”. so a gate is required to fire the incoming CV. which is the way i want to use it.
I did try and adjust the ADJ.1 trimmer a little bit left and right to see if it would compensate. but the changing of cv still happens.

Let's break it down so we get it solved. On your first post you said:

Quote:

Hence my mention of the CV-tracking mode and how to solve hanging notes. Remember that the AllNotesOff and NoteOff inputs are super useful there and will help you avoid any problems while using that mode.

I always use at least one channel in Gate-Mode (re: requiring an Incoming Gate to act as NoteOn) and I've even used more than one track in that mode and also in all 1-3-6 note situations. Never had an issue of hanging notes or mangling my sequence unless I switch between MIDI channels (using the top switches) on the fly which I use when I do want to hang a note on purpose. So yeah, if you find a way to replicate this I'm all ears. Which sequencer are you using? I'm curious. We'll get to the bottom of this, don't you worry.
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

Let's break it down so we get it solved. On your first post you said:

Quote:

Hence my mention of the CV-tracking mode and how to solve hanging notes. Remember that the AllNotesOff and NoteOff inputs are super useful there and will help you avoid any problems while using that mode.

I always use at least one channel in Gate-Mode (re: requiring an Incoming Gate to act as NoteOn) and I've even used more than one track in that mode and also in all 1-3-6 note situations. Never had an issue of hanging notes or mangling my sequence unless I switch between MIDI channels (using the top switches) on the fly which I use when I do want to hang a note on purpose. So yeah, if you find a way to replicate this I'm all ears. Which sequencer are you using? I'm curious. We'll get to the bottom of this, don't you worry.

stillson hammer mkii
Paranormal Patroler
Sweet, I have that! I think I'm on v666 or something like that. Let me know your specifics so I can see if I can replicate the issue thumbs up
revoltcrews
Sweet, I have that! I think I'm on v666 or something like that. Let me know your specifics so I can see if I can replicate the issue thumbs up

i'm on the latest firmware, just released.
http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/products/18

Using the 222 in mode where a gate is required to fire cv.
nothing else. just sending it a sequence from track 1 of the stillson.
cv to cv1 in. gate from stillson to All Note ON/OFF 1
Paranormal Patroler
Damn, not sure if I can update it right now but I'll give it a shot. Is the firmware stable? Any chance that could be the cause of the issue? Not to diss on SHmk2, but it has had problems before. Did you try it with an oscillator in parallel? Anyway, I'll try to upgrade let me know if/when you have details on the settings so I can replicate.
revoltcrews
Damn, not sure if I can update it right now but I'll give it a shot. Is the firmware stable? Any chance that could be the cause of the issue? Not to diss on SHmk2, but it has had problems before. Did you try it with an oscillator in parallel? Anyway, I'll try to upgrade let me know if/when you have details on the settings so I can replicate.

cv is stable on the shmkII,
yes, used with oscillators without the 222.

* i'm going to bring my 222 in to work and look at the action on a mordax data scope SlayerBadger!

** have you noticed different semitone offsets in pitch on the 222 output.
like for me, ch1 & 2 are outputting the same, 3 & 4 are like up 50% from incoming.
I tried turning the trimmers ever so slightly. but to no avail.
word.
propertyof
just got my 222 while waiting for my sound module to arrive.

tried to test the 222 last night with any midi device available in the house, there's a mother32 and my friend's microkorg XL+, but couldn't get any sound out of it. i was creating sequence from ER-101 to 222 and to any of those synths.

did i miss something here?
i'm not too familiar with midi function & it's been a while since the last time i used midi. anyone has suggestion?
propertyof
Just checked again midi in & out work normal between those 2 synths but when i connected to 222's midi out trs, there's no respond from each synths. Checked the actual channel already.

I'm afraid both of trs-to-midi female cables that came with the 222 are not working.. or even worse if my 222 midi out jack is broken.. sad banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 5 of 9