MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
ADDAC System
propertyof wrote:
Just checked again midi in & out work normal between those 2 synths but when i connected to 222's midi out trs, there's no respond from each synths. Checked the actual channel already.

I'm afraid both of trs-to-midi female cables that came with the 222 are not working.. or even worse if my 222 midi out jack is broken.. sad banana

If I'm not mistaken you double-checked with us that your module is in perfect condition, right? Did you figure out the MIDI issue yet?
propertyof
ADDAC System wrote:
propertyof wrote:
Just checked again midi in & out work normal between those 2 synths but when i connected to 222's midi out trs, there's no respond from each synths. Checked the actual channel already.

I'm afraid both of trs-to-midi female cables that came with the 222 are not working.. or even worse if my 222 midi out jack is broken.. sad banana

If I'm not mistaken you double-checked with us that your module is in perfect condition, right? Did you figure out the MIDI issue yet?

almost. i've managed creating multi-timbre sound from 222 to my synth/sound module but only using midi-thru from my laptop via USB.
222 midi-out > laptop USB (program editor) > sound module USB
i can play & change the patches from 222 channels/banks.
But then when i tried using 222 midi-out > synth midi-in directly it wont work.

i'm already pmed the 222's ambassador Paranormal Patroler since we use similar sound module coz seems it's only setting up the channel issue?, waiting for his enlightenment here too we're not worthy
Paranormal Patroler
propertyof wrote:
i'm already pmed the 222's ambassador Paranormal Patroler since we use similar sound module coz seems it's only setting up the channel issue?, waiting for his enlightenment here too we're not worthy

I got your back man, we'll figure it out. I've sent you a PM, let's continue our conversation there. thumbs up
propertyof
i'm still having problem connecting my 222 directly to my synth/sound module.

i've tried many times connecting 222 midi out (via 3.5 mm addac adaptor) > midi in synths/sound modules. but the synths/sound module couldn't receive any midi message at all. i've check all channels is correctly arranged.

but when i use 222 midi out (via 3.5 mm addac adaptor) > usb laptop (running midi-ox utility software) > midi in synths/sound modules, all works perfect. i can control/change the synth's patches, channels, voices from the 222 switches & knobs.
also using 222 usb midi > laptop > usb laptop > synth midi in, works perfect too.

i've checked all of my midi cables with multitester and there's no problem.
i'm using the adaptor that came with the 222 to connect Roland Midi cable like this exact one:
https://www.roland.com/jp/products/msc-15/
this cable works when i connect my midi synths to another midi synth/sound module.

and my midi-usb cable is similar to this:
https://elevatorsound.com/product/usb-midi-cable/
it only works when i connect the 222 to my laptop's usb before go to my sound module's midi in.

any idea why is this happen? what did i miss?

really hope anyone can help. thanks.
Eudox
It seems i have quite the same problem with my 221.

I've managed to influence softsynth via USB but the module hasn't yet managed to send properly Midi CC to an Octatrack via the DIN socket.

sad banana

I haven't run all the test you've made though... I must investigate further.

As of note, does anybody here manage to make this pair work together (221 and Octatrack)?
propertyof
here's my interesting find this evening..

i did rewiring one of my midi cables, so it's connected differently from the addac cable but similar to arturia trs-midi type din cable:
Pin 5 – Ring (Current Sink)
Pin 4 – Tip (Current Source)
Pin 2 – Sleeve (Shield)
https://www.midi.org/articles/updated-how-to-make-your-own-3-5mm-mini- stereo-trs-to-midi-5-pin-din-cables

and voila! my synth sound module received the midi messages, the midi indicator lights blinking responding to the notes that sent directly from 222, BUT the sound module got hang immediately & became unplayable, and didn't respond if i press any of its button.
but hey this is the first time the synth responded to the 222 midi-out directly without laptop usb!

if only Andre or anyone who has more insight can jump in and share their views..
propertyof
i'm still having problem with my 222. waah

connecting its midi-out with the addac's trs-to-midi cable to my synth directly without any result.
but connecting its midi-out with arturia's type midi cable to my synth resulted that the midi message received by my synth (midi indicator blinking) but makes my synth freeze.

possibly internal route problem on the 222 midi-out jack?

Dead Banana
ADDAC System
We'll sort it out propertyof don't worry! thumbs up
damase
Maybe obvious to some.... but here is a pretty cool/easy trick for anyone needing the ADDAC222 to utilize your gate length as the entire midi on/off message (Gate on= midi on gate off=midi off)...

I used 2 channels of an Intellijel Quadratt but any mixer/polarizer that the channels are normalized should work...

-Set ADDAC222 to the 2nd play mode to fire midi ON with a gate into the NOTE ON input (hold all 4 buttons at once and then change each channel individually)
-Mult you gate signal from the NOTE ON input to ch1 of Quadratt, set in bipolar mode. Knob all the way counterclockwise
-Set ch2 of Quadratt to bipolar signal with the knob fully clockwise.
-output of channel 2 into the NOTE OFF input of your ADDAC222 channel

Now you're gate signal is being inverted and then set back to zero, so the new signal is gate on when you're original gate signal turns off, which is now firing your Midi Off message

It works great
Paranormal Patroler
I do the exact same thing using the inverter part of my Knit Rider expander. I mult the signal from the Knit Rider (set as random Gate length) and plug it on the NoteOn and the Inverted output on the Gate Off.

But FYI, I've discussed with ADDAC and they said they're considering adding a 3rd mode to the ADDAC222 which will do the NoteOn/NoteOff trick without needing to send gates at the NoteOff input; when the Gate ends a NoteOff will be fired. The NoteOff will be repurposed to hold the notes which is super useful in polyphonic mode!

Sounds good? I'm super excited about the third mode! hyper
damase
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I do the exact same thing using the inverter part of my Knit Rider expander. I mult the signal from the Knit Rider (set as random Gate length) and plug it on the NoteOn and the Inverted output on the Gate Off.

But FYI, I've discussed with ADDAC and they said they're considering adding a 3rd mode to the ADDAC222 which will do the NoteOn/NoteOff trick without needing to send gates at the NoteOff input; when the Gate ends a NoteOff will be fired. The NoteOff will be repurposed to hold the notes which is super useful in polyphonic mode!

Wow!!! Yes that sounds amazing! Once i realized the ease of getting it to do this i was wondering if a mode to natively enact it would be possible. In my brain that would be the “main mode” as in the one that most people are imagining when they first think of CV to Midi in the modular context

Really hope that happens! Kudos to Andre and the Addac team. Fantasticly helpful, Andre recently got me a custom firmware for my 222 to have the midi channels i needed!
Paranormal Patroler
damase wrote:
Wow!!! Yes that sounds amazing! Once i realized the ease of getting it to do this i was wondering if a mode to natively enact it would be possible. In my brain that would be the “main mode” as in the one that most people are imagining when they first think of CV to Midi in the modular context

Really hope that happens! Kudos to Andre and the Addac team. Fantasticly helpful, Andre recently got me a custom firmware for my 222 to have the midi channels i needed!

Yeah, they're super helpful, but you should let them know you're interested so that they know I'm not alone on this. From our discussion you'd have three modes: Light on (GateOn), Light off (automatic), Light blinking (Gate variable). To tell you the truth the required NoteOff has its merits, especially if you try playing each track polyphonically. It's super nice!

But having that NoteOff input as hold is also a nice idea. So many polyrhythmic stuff you can pull off with this module ...
revoltcrews
I've since moved my 222 into a Mantis case.
i have it operating in the mode wherein you have to patch a Gate to fire note on/off
Been noticing stuck gates every time i stop my sequencer.
it just started doing this. wonder if its cuz of the mantis case power ?
strange that it should just out of the blue start not releasing gates.

this is the set up, literally nothing else in the case yet:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/551597
Sinamsis

This is what I had hoped for when I bought the module. A high gate should trigger note on message, when gate goes low it should trigger note off... I hadn't thought about inverting gates... that makes sense. Honestly, I've put these modules on the back burner for a while. I'll have to revisit them soon.
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
i have it operating in the mode wherein you have to patch a Gate to fire note on/off

The mode requires a gate at note off to kill notes. You are aware of that, right? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have a polyphonic option per track.

Sinamsis, I hear ya. You're right but as I mentioned above, the original idea was to have the midi play polyphonically per track. Andre added the GateOn option because I asked him to after SB16, and the way he did it makes sense if you want to fire more than one note at a time, using just one track. You should contact ADDAC and say you'd be interested in the third mode so they know it's not just me who wants that. Andre said he'll do it, but he is kinda busy these days. I wouldn't mind having that extra Hold option, it's rather cool!
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

The mode requires a gate at note off to kill notes. You are aware of that, right? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have a polyphonic option per track.

hmmm:
so, basically, i need to patch 4 extra gates into the bottom 4 Note OFF jacks as well as my other 4 gates i have patched into the right section which are firing from my sequencer with the CV...? essentially "playing" an extra gate sequencer.
Paranormal Patroler
Nope. When you have a track set up monophonically each new NoteOn info will kill the previous note. So you don't really need to plug the NoteOff unless, as you said, you stop sending new NoteOn info by stopping your sequencer. When you do that press the button of the track to kill the note. If you have it in polyphonic it will require as many presses as the notes that are hanging.

You can use the Noteoff inputs to change the gate lengths of your notes. How about multing your gates, sending them to ADs to control your velocity, and using the EOC to fire off the NoteOff? Mr. Green

Swapping Midi channels on the fly might cause hanging notes, but that is to be expected. I actually use that to good effect, by leaving channels "empty" as placeholders when I want a note to hang. Swap, hang, go back to original channel and continue. Love this module!
damase
revoltcrews wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:

hmmm:
so, basically, i need to patch 4 extra gates into the bottom 4 Note OFF jacks as well as my other 4 gates i have patched into the right section which are firing from my sequencer with the CV...? essentially "playing" an extra gate sequencer.

Funny that the two conversations in this thread are actually about the same thing.... I think its a natural way to think that "Gate Length = Midi Note length". However thats not the case until this third mode we were discussing gets added.

I've grown to appreciate the current two modes for their different usage and I think the polyphony switch is a stroke of genius. I would probably use the third mode a lot because my circadian rhythm can do whatever gate lengths i want on any channel, and also integra funkitus can derive a lot of new gate lengths via probability

As Paranormal Patroler said, if we contact Andre at Addac and express interest he is likely to put the effort in to implement it.
Paranormal Patroler
applause Couldn't agree more!
Eudox
I'm really interested in the discussion about the 222 operating mode... But as i was mentioning the problem i had with my 221, maybe it can be useful to give a quick update on that.

I've managed to solve my problem and now the 222 is fully functional. It drives mostly the effects of an octatrack, which acts as a four track mixer for my rack.It's really really great.

I've discovered that the module was in some way buggy, and didn't accept the messages from the app. On MIDI PORT the 221 was always outputing the data from the factory presets, whatever i was uploading as a preset, and ignoring the CCs i’ve been editing and uploading via the app.

I’ve updated the module with the new firmware and the problem disappears. Boom.

I wan't to add that from my point of view the 221 brings a lot to expand the modular world : my Octatrack is now a full part of my system : it can clock it, sequence it and at the same time it can be modulated by the rack etc. It’s a powerfull effect box under CV control. Not to mention what is possible to mangle samples with the modulation sources of the modular...

Its a great way to go : making bridge between machines, making them learn to interact instead of trying to put everything we can think of into a module! (my 2 cents).
propertyof
so i just got my 222 back from service, sent it back to Andre couples weeks ago.
and they found out the problem.. it turns out that my unit has a mono jack for the midi out instead of using stereo jack! that explains everything! seems my unit skipped a QC process.
anyway Andre & ADDAC team been very helpful with this & replace my 222 with a new unit. now everything is working as it should.
oh, did i mention they sent me a free t-shirt too.. thumbs up
now back to wiggling! w00t
Paranormal Patroler
propertyof wrote:
so i just got my 222 back from service, sent it back to Andre couples weeks ago.
and they found out the problem.. it turns out that my unit has a mono jack for the midi out instead of using stereo jack! that explains everything! seems my unit skipped a QC process.
anyway Andre & ADDAC team been very helpful with this & replace my 222 with a new unit. now everything is working as it should.
oh, did i mention they sent me a free t-shirt too.. thumbs up
now back to wiggling! w00t

Those are great news man! Super happy you sorted this out and even more happy to see you're using your 222! SlayerBadger!
Midiot
The Elektron Analog4 receives midi notes etc, but does not send them (something many A4 owners wish it did).

But it does send CV, Gate, and Mod values.

So..... Are these ADDAC converters a good work-around to get the A4 to send sequences to my other "midi only" synths ??

With all the conversions going on, I wonder if this will add latency, or pitch and timing issues ?

(I saw the Octotrack usage mentioned earlier)
Sinamsis
Midiot wrote:
The Elektron Analog4 receives midi notes etc, but does not send them (something many A4 owners wish it did).

But it does send CV, Gate, and Mod values.

So..... Are these ADDAC converters a good work-around to get the A4 to send sequences to my other "midi only" synths ??

With all the conversions going on, I wonder if this will add latency, or pitch and timing issues ?

(I saw the Octotrack usage mentioned earlier)

With the money you’d spend to achieve real functionality I would just buy a DT and save the cash. You’ll have a small box with the Elektron sequencer that can have 8 different MIDI sequences and send 8 CCs per track. The modules probably won’t do the traditional note on off and midi note conversion that you’re expecting right now. If you want to take a lot of CV signal from your modular and control different MIDI gear that’s probably a more appropriate application.
Midiot
Sinamsis wrote:

With the money you’d spend to achieve real functionality I would just buy a DT and save the cash.

(DT = Electron Digitakt or Digitone ??)

Thanks....well noted.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 6 of 9