MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
Paranormal Patroler
Does it respond the same way if you plug it directly to the Elektron ? What's your clock source?
revoltcrews
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Does it respond the same way if you plug it directly to the Elektron ? What's your clock source?

Hi,

tried different modules for clock source. QCD, Stillson, Eloquencer.

clock patched to the top in jack of 330, then the midi in of 222,
with the 222 midi out to digitone midi in.
havent tried just the clock to the digitone (altho, that way i wouldn't get my notes)
which mode do you use? and/or which mode starts the digitone without having to press play on the digitone? (is it possible)
I can't make sense of the Start, Continue, Stop jacks on the 330 either.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm not familiar with the Digitone but if you need to press play on it after you've started sending it MIDI clock then I guess you need the first mode.

Have a sequence on the Digitone and try sending the clock directly. Does that work ok? Is the clock steady?

Stillson's manual says not to use the output to clock stuff if you can avoid it (IIRC). So that's out. Any Pamela's to try out?

Each of the Start/Stop/Continue jacks will output the relevant MIDI message (namely Start / Stop / Continue) if you send a signal to the jack. A quick google search about MIDI will explain what these do. But check the Digitone's manual. There will be a MIDI map which explains what MIDI information it receives.

Seems to me like you need a Start message to have it running.

I must admit I'm a bit worried that you might end up needing a MIDI merge after all. Not sure why. Might be the Digitone that's not handling clock and note info that well. hmmm.....

Let me know how it goes. Also, feel free to PM me and we can troubleshoot together.
revoltcrews
I'm not familiar with the Digitone but if you need to press play on it after you've started sending it MIDI clock then I guess you need the first mode.

Have a sequence on the Digitone and try sending the clock directly. Does that work ok? Is the clock steady?

Stillson's manual says not to use the output to clock stuff if you can avoid it (IIRC). So that's out. Any Pamela's to try out?

Each of the Start/Stop/Continue jacks will output the relevant MIDI message (namely Start / Stop / Continue) if you send a signal to the jack. A quick google search about MIDI will explain what these do. But check the Digitone's manual. There will be a MIDI map which explains what MIDI information it receives.

Seems to me like you need a Start message to have it running.

I must admit I'm a bit worried that you might end up needing a MIDI merge after all. Not sure why. Might be the Digitone that's not handling clock and note info that well. hmmm.....

Let me know how it goes. Also, feel free to PM me and we can troubleshoot together.

right. so, the Digitone midi implementation chart says nothing to the point of
how these are handled. it actually says nothing at all except "Port Config, Clock Receive". the implementation chart only shows what to CC.

I tried patching a mult of the main clock to the start jack but that doesn't work. (perhaps that's the wrong way to use the start jack)
My guess is the digitone is handling it all from that one Port Config option. The other big boxes (octatrack) have a "Transport control" option next to the "Clock Receive" option.

I'll try with a kenton midi merge box soon i guess when i have more time.

cheers
Paranormal Patroler
You only need to fire the Start message once. It's exactly like pressing the button, you do it once to start and once to stop (in which case you need that stop Gate). Continue will continue from where you stopped. If you send Start after stop it will start from the beginning.
Sinamsis
I think if you keep hitting the start input with a continuous clock you could screw things up if the start input acts as a reset too. I just remembered FH-1 also converts analog clock to MIDI. But owning the Digitakt and Digitone and an SH mk II I think you're going to have trouble. Something else needs to be generating the clock, because you will need not only a clock signal but some sort of run signal I assume. Unless you're clock to MIDI converter automatically generates that run signal once it gets a clock.

I guess something is happening though because your Digitone is responding. The other thing is do you maybe have to process the clock signal? Maybe the amplitude isn't high enough, or the pulse width isn't to the converters liking. It sounds like maybe it's missing some clock signals. The other question is how the converter handles an irregular clock. Does it average the incoming pulses? I'm guessing you want the SH to be the master clock since it can be modulated right?

Haha, this is getting way off topic, but I guess nothing else is going on here.
revoltcrews
My 221 CV to CC module arrived today!! screaming goo yo w00t

Quick basic question about connecting it to the 222:

i patch from the 221 to the 222 midi in right..? not the other way around?

Also, any tips n tricks for the 221 do share w00t
Paranormal Patroler
You can patch in either direction, 221 > 222 or 222 > 221, as long as patch MIDI output to MIDI input. You can even use a TRS cable directly which is fantastic in my opinion.
revoltcrews
You can patch in either direction, 221 > 222 or 222 > 221, as long as patch MIDI output to MIDI input. You can even use a TRS cable directly which is fantastic in my opinion.

EDIT**
its working on the digitone. altho quite strange the way it interacts.
only works in Unipolar mode with strange offsets aligned between the 2 knobs.
currently at work. but will do more testing as the day progresses.

Edit 2*
works great on the ob-6.
generally the module seems intermittent at first. no response upon 1st knob movements. then it seems to "wake up" and worked fine.

1-do the Jumpers on the 221/222 need to be set in any certain way ?
revoltcrews
I’ve been using the midi monitor app to watch what happens with my 221..
Either i'm doing something wrong on my synth side of things with midi set up or this is wonky module behavior.
using this with my OB-6 desktop and digitone (separately testing)

-It doesn’t boot and function properly some of the time, meaning CC’s won’t even fire or the knobs don't register movement on midi monitor .
A few of the knobs aren’t responsive (meaning the midi monitor app shows no movement)(then they do, then they don't)
-Its not remembering presets from the app the majority of the time (i think):
it will assign some of the knobs and not others. i'm not sure its even "uploading preset". although midi monitor does show some kind of transmission
-it will sporadically send the proper cc assignments and then send a jumbled mess of cc’s and completely annihilate my current synth preset.
-turns things on and off that aren’t currently mapped in my saved 221 preset.
(i've been doing my homework and am watching out for CC #'s that may be duplicates, but this is not the case)
-I've also tried just patching the 221 directly to my synths. but kinda the same.

Any thoughts from 221 users would be helpful.
Should i reload the current firmware (although thats from last year).

Cheers, .... when it works its super cool. I do realize that CV to CC is currently in development, i.e, it's not a perfect technology yet. so i'm really excited about this. woooord.
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:
Either i'm doing something wrong on my synth side of things with midi set up or this is wonky module behavior.

-It doesn’t boot and function properly some of the time, meaning CC’s won’t even fire or the knobs don't register movement on midi monitor .
A few of the knobs aren’t responsive (meaning the midi monitor app shows no movement)(then they do, then they don't)
it will assign some of the knobs and not others. i'm not sure its even "uploading preset". although midi monitor does show some kind of transmission
-it will sporadically send the proper cc assignments and then send a jumbled mess of cc’s and completely annihilate my current synth preset.
(i've been doing my homework and am watching out for CC #'s that may be duplicates, but this is not the case)
-I've also tried just patching the 221 directly to my synths. but kinda the same.

Cheers, .... when it works its super cool. I do realize that CV to CC is currently in development, i.e, it's not a perfect technology yet. so i'm really excited about this. woooord.

Bump!
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:

Bump!
Eudox
My beginnings with the 221 was quite frustrating. At first i didn't manage to make it act the way i wanted (ie. controlling an Octatrack that acts like a 4 ch. mixer for my Euro rig).

The presets wasn't updated on the module (always outputting default scenes) and it seems that only the USB out sent out CC.

After a lot of frustration and emailing W/ ADDAC, it appears that updating the module firmware solves the thing. Now the 221 works flawlessly.

I hope you will fix yours, i'm sure there's some bugs that need to be ironed out. Don't loose your temper on it.

As a side note, i really think that CV to MIDI is a great path to go. In my case most of the FX are now handled by the Octatrack whereas i can focus my rig on what i think eurorack is best for : modulations and sequencing.

I'm thinking of buying a 222 now...to control my Yamaha TG33...
Paranormal Patroler
Hi revoltcrews, sorry I missed your post. Have you tried updating the firmware ? It's super easy! Go to http://addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac221

It should fix whatever issues you're having.
revoltcrews
Hi revoltcrews, sorry I missed your post. Have you tried updating the firmware ? It's super easy! Go to http://addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac221

It should fix whatever issues you're having.

pm'd hmmm.....
resynthesize
propertyof wrote:
so i just got my 222 back from service, sent it back to Andre couples weeks ago.
and they found out the problem.. it turns out that my unit has a mono jack for the midi out instead of using stereo jack! that explains everything! seems my unit skipped a QC process.
anyway Andre & ADDAC team been very helpful with this & replace my 222 with a new unit. now everything is working as it should.
oh, did i mention they sent me a free t-shirt too.. thumbs up
now back to wiggling! w00t

I recently purchased a 221/222 set from a fellow wiggler and am having a similar problem with my 221. I see data in a midi monitor over USB but I don't appear to getting anything out of the TRS midi out jack (I don't have an easy way to monitor midi on the TRS output, but I've plugged it into a couple of different synths with no result, and I also don't see CC data via USB out on the 222 when I patch the 221 trs out to 222 trs in) . How do I test whether I have a stereo or mono jack? Anything else I can take a look at? I'm on the latest firmware already.
Paranormal Patroler
So 221 works fine by itself but 222 doesn't? And when you go 221 > 222 you don't get any CC messages at the output either?
resynthesize
So 221 works fine by itself but 222 doesn't?

222 is working great over USB midi and TRS midi out. 221 works fine over USB midi but not TRS midi.

And when you go 221 > 222 you don't get any CC messages at the output either?

Yeah, when I go 221 trs out to 222 trs midi in with a stereo TRS cable, I don't see any CC messages on 222 USB out (routed to a midi monitor on my computer), and presumably don't get any CC on the trs out either.
Paranormal Patroler
Ok, so the problem is obviously on the TRS output of the 221. Make sure your TRS-to-DIN adapter is ok, by trying it on the 222. If it's working then the problem is on the module output. If you have the same jack problem mentioned above then shoot a message to ADDAC.

They're responsive, they'll short you out. Just be a bit patient as they posted about moving HQ so they might be slower than usual.

Post here if you have any other questions!
resynthesize
I got my previous issue with the 221 sorted out (user error, module was fine).

I have a couple of other issues with the 222 though.

1) The module periodically sends note off messages to random channels every 20-30 seconds. I've verified this by monitoring the usb midi output with a midi monitor app on my desktop. Example screenshot attached. This happens with nothing patched into the module at all!

2) The channel/bank toggle switches for inputs 3 and 4 don't correspond with the manual (or inputs 1 and 2). Instead this is what I get:

A1: Channel 7
A2: Channel 8
A3: Channel 9
B1: Channel 4
B2: Channel 5
B3: Channel 6
C1: Channel 7
C2: Channel 8
C3: Channel 9

I want to like these modules so much, but this has been a frustrating experience to say the least. I'll contact ADDAC again, but just wondering if anyone has seen anything resembling this behavior and if there's any fixes I can try.

Paranormal Patroler
That is VERY weird and something I never run into. Which firmware are you on? Have you tried the latest?

I highly suggest you update the firmware and post here again. Mine works fine so let's make sure you get yours working as well.
resynthesize
I updated to the latest firmware version (B_3) after I got the module.
Paranormal Patroler
How are you patching the module when you test? Which mode are the channels in?
shoottofill
So I just got a 222 from Analog Haven and I'm trying to get it into mode 3. I'm assuming it doesn't have the latest firmware if I press all 4 buttons and I can't get them to blink. Is there any easy way to tell if it has the latest firmware?

(without plugging it in)
shoottofill
shoottofill wrote:
So I just got a 222 from Analog Haven and I'm trying to get it into mode 3. I'm assuming it doesn't have the latest firmware if I press all 4 buttons and I can't get them to blink. Is there any easy way to tell if it has the latest firmware?

(without plugging it in)

i think i updated the firmware. hard to tell what mode i'm in
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 8 of 9