MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
monads
So when will dealers get these? Drooling....
Sinamsis
I ordered directly from ADDAC.
Paranormal Patroler
Sorry for the late reply, it's been a tough week for me. Let's go through your questions:

Sinamsis wrote:
So in the bottom right, there's a group of inputs labelled "all notes off/note ons".... what exactly is that? is that for incoming gates/triggers? I'm also still having some difficulty wrapping my head around the note off inputs.... obviously I know how it works in the MIDI world, and I understand somewhat how you would use it with the polyphonic setup and to choke notes.

You can set the Note On/ Note Off in a per track basis (re: you have four tracks on the module is what I mean by that). So you have two options: a track either recognizes when you reach a MIDI note (think typical MIDI tuning of black and white keys) so it fires a NoteOn for every note you reach just via CV and you set the number of notes you want it reach before it "wraps around" (1-3-6). Or you can set the track as to expect a NoteOn gate to start the note as you would on any of the other CV-to-MIDI modules available. The cool thing here is that you also can control NoteOffs while doing that so you can actually control when each note shuts up/chokes! That means you can have a specific trigger sequence making the gist of your note pattern and then send a different, modulatable sequence that changes the duration of those notes. Plus other coooooooooool stuff. I absolutely love this. Oh, and it's very easy to swap between the two functionalities.

Quote:
But basically let's say I want to use my Rene to sequence a hardware synth of soft synth (not imaginative, I know)... how would I do that?

I don't know how a Rene works. But any sequencer ... you just plug your sequencer's CV output to the CV In. If you don't plug anything to the velocity input you can still use the knob to control it. You plug your gates to the NoteOff at the bottom if you want to use the wrap-around/auto-detect-notes method or if you want something more straightforward you plug your gates to the Note-On input on the right side and set the track accordingly. You don't need to fire Note-Offs, it will know as soon as the Gate is low that it's a Note-Off but that doesn't mean you can't do both hihi

Quote:
Also, it looks like the 221 sends USB MIDI. Is the 222 USB just for programming or does it also transmit MIDI?

USB can be set as a MIDI Output to plug to your computer and you can also make sure it transmits (Thru) whatever is coming in at the MIDI Input.

Quote:
The 221 description mentions connecting several 222's to it using it's thru functionality. How would one do this physically? A TRS cable? And why? To only use one USB cable?

Yeah, I use a small TRS-TRS 3.5mm cable to plug the 221 to the 222 and only use one TRS-to-MIDI cable to reach my hardware synth.

Quote:
Is there a programmer for the 221?

I have a beta version of it. For that you have to contact ADDAC and see how he plans to release it. I assume it will be made available through the site. It's very easy to use though.

Quote:
Have you tried audio rate modulation? I can't imagine this could work well, but I'd be pleasantly surprise if it did.

Ha! Good question. I have of course tried everything hihi Audio rate makes MIDI synth go .. wha?!? after a bit. They just stuff that sounds like Black MIDI. Google that and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Any stepping or lag that you can notice?

Ah, not that I know of. I honestly tried fragging the module for hours. My synth gave up far sooner than the module did (it never did actually).

Quote:
Sorry, a million questions I know. I kind of bought this with little info available. I know I went out on a limb. But its exactly the solution I've been looking for (I've actually been saving a case just for these modules since I heard about them). I'm really hoping it's worth it, I suspect it will be. I love the few ADDAC modules I have.

I love ADDAC stuff. Totally ahead of the curve, right ?!? Yeah, I think this is a must for everyone into CV-to-MIDI. I'm talking straight from the heart here: this set is soooooo playable. I love how you can mess about with Velocity and octaves and add or remove voices. It's brilliant is what it is!
Sinamsis
Paranormal Patroler
Thanks for the in depth response. I can't wait to get this bad boy! I think my Propagate will play well with this. I think it's the last step to make my studio a truly modular set up where all equipment can interact seemlessly. I've always been attracted to things like the TTA Z DSP but now all my hardware and software effects can respond to CV. That alone is mind blowing. But also the thought of adding LFO and random to more limited fixed architecture synths, generative sequencing, etc is really exciting.

Regarding the programmer Andre emailed me to say he will send me the required software. My modules should ship tomorrow. Hopefully within the next week or two I will have them!
maltemark
They can't be serious to be only piping out midi from the cv-to-midi interface through a computer USB port? I can't be arsed dragging a computer into the studio each time I want to interact the modular with the rest of the synths ... Major dealbreaker in that case.
Sinamsis
maltemark wrote:
They can't be serious to be only piping out midi from the cv-to-midi interface through a computer USB port? I can't be arsed dragging a computer into the studio each time I want to interact the modular with the rest of the synths ... Major dealbreaker in that case.

Ha, someone else mentioned this above.... the bottom right corner has the MIDI I/O via TRS. So you could use TRS to MIDI. I personally am glad that there's USB, but for those averse to it, there are other options.

Like PP said, ADDAC are on some next level shit. Haha, they're pretty far ahead of the curve. The modules are pricey, but well worth it IMO.
maltemark
YES REAL MIDI :)
Paranormal Patroler
maltemark wrote:
YES REAL MIDI smile

Hej,

yeah the input and output are both TRS-to-MIDI and ADDAC provides the cabling (at least I think so) so you're totally covered. They go for the Korg-like type of TRS-to-MIDI mapping so it can also work with stuff like the Volcas etc etc.

Wicked! SlayerBadger!
Paranormal Patroler

Just used one row out of Hainbach's Doepfer 6U for a gig in Berlin. ADDAC 222 was the star of the show, making jazz sounds from a modular system possible! Totally hands on, I had to change my playing style right before the gig due to the 3sec reverberant space. Just flipped from Note Off automatic note change to Note On for all channels which meant I only fired notes within greater intervals, giving much needed breathing space to the performance (far better with such lush reverb). At first I was aiming for very fast swing-like patterns which would've sounded like mud in there.

Flipped back to Note Off right before the grand finale to create tension. Changed MIDI channels, octaves, velocities ... everything right at your fingertips. Man, I absolutely LOVE this module; it's sooo playable.

Here's a quick mellow part up on instagram.
Sinamsis
Finally got around to installing the modules and tried to get them up and running... however, I get an error when trying to install the software to configure the 221. Anyone have a copy of the software for Mac?
Paranormal Patroler
Sorry, I know nothing about Mac stuff.

Irrelevant to the issue, but relevant to the modules. Remember the instagram post from above? Here's one from a show on Friday. Very similar patch, but the 223 is so hands on you can really do crazy stuff with it.

Check out some cool licks here!

Considering my previous post you can see how much of a different sound I had intended for Berlin. Changing how the ADDAC223 responding to gates is extremely versatile ... SlayerBadger! Totally love this module.
Sinamsis
Nice! I filmed my first go with the 221/222. I used it to control my Prophet 12. Sequence came from Popcorn, controlled by Bastl Popcorn. Various gates for Zularic/Numeric Repetitors and Confundo Funkitus. Wogglebug into 221, but I had to rely on the presets as my editor isn't working. Managed to find a preset where I could control distortion and spread of the P12, and I think filter cutoff maybe? Haha.

Eudox
Impressive vid!

I hope the problem with the editor on Mac will be fixed... i'm planning to use a 221 to place under CV an Octatrack.

I can imagine a whole lot off presets on the 221... one for scanning live recordings (like an 8 tracks 111 wav player!), one to make an outstanding FX box for my 6U, etc. Sky is the limit.

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Sinamsis
Oh I'm sure it wasn't the editor software specifically that was the problem. It just got corrupted in the transfer. Looks like Andre sent me another, which I will try out later today I hope.
Sinamsis
Finally up and running:

Paranormal Patroler
The Complex Random pairs nicely with the 221, right ? hihi
Sinamsis
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
The Complex Random pairs nicely with the 221, right ? hihi

So awesome. Blinds is nice with it too. This is going to be a lot of fun. Now if I can only figure out how to better program this damn Prophet 2002.
Daisuk
Anyone tried hooking this up to a VJ/video software yet? I'd love to see how it works. Mr. Green
Paranormal Patroler
Daisuk wrote:
Anyone tried hooking this up to a VJ/video software yet? I'd love to see how it works. Mr. Green

No video stuff, but you can always visit ... hihi (although I wanna make some demos soon, so I guess a GoPro is in order).
Daisuk
Daisuk wrote:

No video stuff, but you can always visit ... hihi (although I wanna make some demos soon, so I guess a GoPro is in order).

I'm in the process of ordering it actually. They're not the quickest to reply to emails though. razz
revoltcrews
so curious about the 222.

i've been reading up on it.
i'd love to let this run say my jp-08 from my modular.

anymore vids or usage or tutorials out there..
such an awesome module!
Paranormal Patroler
I need to get a camera first for tutorials. Do you have any specific questions ? I'd be happy to answer them.
revoltcrews
I need to get a camera first for tutorials. Do you have any specific questions ? I'd be happy to answer them.

hey thanks for chiming in..!
i guess no very specific questions.

would just love to see & hear it action with a bit more focus. a clear demo
of setting up a patch routing to your fav poly synth. and boom boom shake the room.
Daisuk
Got my 221 today! From what I've gathered reading about it, all the inputs are supposedly assigned to the corresponding MIDI channels (so input 1 MIDI channel 1, input 2 MIDI channel 2 etc), but all of the inputs seem to fire on MIDI channel 1 here, which makes setup a bit difficult. No manual or software to go with it yet (that I've found), so anyone got any clues on how to set it up to send on different channels? hmmm.....

It says this in the FAQ for the module.

Quote:
Can you send CV>CC to different channels at the same time in the same preset?

There’s an App where you can program each preset of the module, for each of the module's input channel (1 to 10) you can set a cc number and the midi channel.
So yes, independent midi channels for each input.

But it doesn't say which app does this. w00t
Sinamsis
ADDAC will send you the programmer.... there are different presets, I don't recall what preset 1 is, but the software will program it to do whatever you want. Shoot an email out to them, or if you have a Mac PM me and I can send it to you.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 2 of 9