MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
Sinamsis
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Neo wrote:
I get the note on/off thing, but I need the typical cv/gate input behaviour. Any chance there'll be an update to allow this as an option? Otherwise I guess I'll get a second A-192-2 to give me 4 voice midi out.

Hold down the four buttons for a few seconds. You can then toggle which voice works with a Gate for NoteOn (LED should be on) or with a NoteOff (LED should Off). Settings are automatically saved.

The AllNoteOff input on the right is now waiting for a Gate to fire the note. And you can still send a Note Off via the jacks at the bottom so you can do cool pattern changes.

Really... when are they going to make a manual for this thing? It's really not as intuitive as one might think. I really have no clue how to use, hence it's been collecting dust.
Paranormal Patroler
Sinamsis wrote:
Really... when are they going to make a manual for this thing? It's really not as intuitive as one might think. I really have no clue how to use, hence it's been collecting dust.

Honestly? I find it very straightforward. But fire away dude, I'll be happy to help by answering any questions you might be having.
In terms of programing this different options it's just what I said above:

1) Press & hold all four Note # Off buttons for a few seconds. This should go into the mode where you set up each individual tracks's way of firing

2) Toggle On (button LED should be On) the tracks where you want the incoming gate on Input 1-4 on the right to fire a NoteOn for the track. Toggle Off (button LED should be Off) the tracks where you the change of the CV to fire a NoteOn automatically for each V/Oct note reached by your incoming CV. The NoteOff# jacks at the bottom will always fire a NoteOff when you send a Gate.

3) After a few seconds the module will return to normal and your settings are retained after power down

--

As far as the rest goes:

- The only confusing part could be the way the MIDI channels are assigned. You have four voices, each one can be on any MIDI channel from 1 - 9. You have Bank A: Channels, 1 2 3 / Bank B: Channels 4 5 6 / Bank C: Channels 7 8 9. You can switch through channels on the fly but you might get hang notes. I use that to my advantage but I want to work with Andre to solve this so that pressing on NoteOff# button sends a Panic! CC to kill all hanging notes for that channel.

- Octave switch transposes your note by 1 or 2 octaves. Semitone knob adds an addition octave by steps of semitones (from 0 to 12)

- Voices switch allows each track to go polyphonic from 1 to 3 or 6 voices. E.g. when in 3 voices, the module will fire a NoteOff for the first NoteOn note when you make it play the 4th consecutive note. So if you have a sequence of C D E F you'll hear C D E at the same time (sustained) and then when F fires you'll lose C. It's good for arps. I use it with monophonic brass sounds where I allow for a little portamento, so when I fire the 3 voice option my trombones try to glide from one note to the next; it sounds nice if done correctly.

Any other questions feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to answer!
Sinamsis
I know man, you've been awesome. But is a few pages written out in the form of a PDF too much to ask from the company? They never seem to get around to writing a manual for any of their modules these day it seems. I don't want to watch videos. I want something written I can refer to. The ADDAC 501 is a perfect example, where the way it generates random voltages is anything but intuitive. It's great. But having to wait around for a video was pretty frustrating.

The 207 was another case where the manual was written, but it was a bit of a difficult read, and some things I could never get it to do correctly (transposing with the additional CV input mainly).

The 222 is far from intuitive to me. I would've never known that holding all 4 buttons did something. The 221 is a little more straight forward.

Ha, I'm being a bit of a ball breaker, I know. But this isn't Buchla, I expect an f'ing manual. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE ADDAC modules, and I sing their praises to anyone who'll listen. But the lack of documentation is frustrating to me.
Paranormal Patroler
Sinamsis wrote:
I know man, you've been awesome. But is a few pages written out in the form of a PDF too much to ask from the company? They never seem to get around to writing a manual for any of their modules these day it seems. I don't want to watch videos. I want something written I can refer to. The ADDAC 501 is a perfect example, where the way it generates random voltages is anything but intuitive. It's great. But having to wait around for a video was pretty frustrating.

The 207 was another case where the manual was written, but it was a bit of a difficult read, and some things I could never get it to do correctly (transposing with the additional CV input mainly).

The 222 is far from intuitive to me. I would've never known that holding all 4 buttons did something. The 221 is a little more straight forward.

Ha, I'm being a bit of a ball breaker, I know. But this isn't Buchla, I expect an f'ing manual. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE ADDAC modules, and I sing their praises to anyone who'll listen. But the lack of documentation is frustrating to me.

I did some changes to the 207 manual but they were never implemented. Can't promise anything, but I will talk with Andre about documentation. I love writing and reading manuals, so I know how you feel. That being said I do think the ADDAC videos are top notch and to be fair most people complain for the exact opposite: they can't be arsed to read a manual, they'd rather watch the video so if I had to pick I'd go for the video, from a marketing standpoint at least.

My own opinion is to have a PDF (I actually read those while on the bus) so that I can go through it several times if necessary. But as with everything ADDAC it seems they're opting for a really nice looking result so it takes time to make that happen.

What's important is that the modules work and that we're all happy. 221 software should be available soon for Windows users. I'll ask about documentation. In the meantime, any questions about the 222 or 221, shoot! I really think that the 222 is super straightforward. The only hidden thing is that button option, nothing else to figure out.
revoltcrews

Honestly? I find it very straightforward. But fire away dude, I'll be happy to help by answering any questions you might be having.

1) Press & hold all four Note # Off buttons for a few seconds. This should go into the mode where you set up each individual tracks's way of firing

2) Toggle On (button LED should be On) the tracks where you want the incoming gate on Input 1-4 on the right to fire a NoteOn for the track. Toggle Off (button LED should be Off) the tracks where you the change of the CV to fire a NoteOn automatically for each V/Oct note reached by your incoming CV. The NoteOff# jacks at the bottom will always fire a NoteOff when you send a Gate.

3) After a few seconds the module will return to normal and your settings are retained after power down

As far as the rest goes:
- The only confusing part could be the way the MIDI channels are assigned. You have four voices, each one can be on any MIDI channel from 1 - 9. You have Bank A: Channels, 1 2 3 / Bank B: Channels 4 5 6 / Bank C: Channels 7 8 9. You can switch through channels on the fly but you might get hang notes. I use that to my advantage but I want to work with Andre to solve this so that pressing on NoteOff# button sends a Panic! CC to kill all hanging notes for that channel.

- Octave switch transposes your note by 1 or 2 octaves. Semitone knob adds an addition octave by steps of semitones (from 0 to 12)

- Voices switch allows each track to go polyphonic from 1 to 3 or 6 voices. E.g. when in 3 voices, the module will fire a NoteOff for the first NoteOn note when you make it play the 4th consecutive note. So if you have a sequence of C D E F you'll hear C D E at the same time (sustained) and then when F fires you'll lose C. It's good for arps. I use it with monophonic brass sounds where I allow for a little portamento, so when I fire the 3 voice option my trombones try to glide from one note to the next; it sounds nice if done correctly.

screenshot of the day for me. thanks Paranormal Patroler
my 222 is making its way here w00t
Sinamsis
Sinamsis wrote:

I did some changes to the 207 manual but they were never implemented. Can't promise anything, but I will talk with Andre about documentation. I love writing and reading manuals, so I know how you feel. That being said I do think the ADDAC videos are top notch and to be fair most people complain for the exact opposite: they can't be arsed to read a manual, they'd rather watch the video so if I had to pick I'd go for the video, from a marketing standpoint at least.

My own opinion is to have a PDF (I actually read those while on the bus) so that I can go through it several times if necessary. But as with everything ADDAC it seems they're opting for a really nice looking result so it takes time to make that happen.

What's important is that the modules work and that we're all happy. 221 software should be available soon for Windows users. I'll ask about documentation. In the meantime, any questions about the 222 or 221, shoot! I really think that the 222 is super straightforward. The only hidden thing is that button option, nothing else to figure out.

Dude, I think you just wrote the 222 manual. Haha. I agree, most people bitch about videos. I think it's a nice touch, but hands down prefer something in writing. Like you, I tend to read manuals in the operating room between surgeries. For modules like most of the MI stuff they're a necessity (I actually get pretty annoyed they're not in PDF format ha). Bottom line, I think it's really short sighted of them to not provide modules. I bought the 221/222 sight unseen, just because I had other ADDAC products and I knew they wouldn't let me down. But most informed consumers want to be able to read the manual before committing. And to be honest.... I shouldn't have to come to the forum to sort out how to make the module work like I would expect a pitch CV to MIDI converter to work. Ha, I've spent quite a few frustrating hours trying to sort it out. Thanks for your help!

But you're right. The modules work, that's all that matters.

As an aside, do you have the changes to the 207 manual you made? I'd love to see them. I sold mine, but kind of regret it. Part of it was the difficulty trying to figure out how to do basic quantizing. But the other issues was the "pickiness" with gate lengths. Short gates would make my unit go nuts. I still debate buying another, as OC isn't a very quick quantizer in comparison. But I hesitate.
Neo
Neo wrote:
I get the note on/off thing, but I need the typical cv/gate input behaviour. Any chance there'll be an update to allow this as an option? Otherwise I guess I'll get a second A-192-2 to give me 4 voice midi out.

Hold down the four buttons for a few seconds. You can then toggle which voice works with a Gate for NoteOn (LED should be on) or with a NoteOff (LED should Off). Settings are automatically saved.

The AllNoteOff input on the right is now waiting for a Gate to fire the note. And you can still send a Note Off via the jacks at the bottom so you can do cool pattern changes.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Although I'm not sure it's quite what I was after. What I'd like is note on when the gate input goes high, and note off when the gate input goes low. Similar to the way the A-192-2 works. I might be a bit stupid, but it doesn't sound like that's what the 222 does, even with the settings change.
Sinamsis
So I've made a concerted effort to sit down with these modules and put them to use. I can't even get the 221 to register with the editor. Anleton recognizes it. But the editor won't connect. I'm on a Mac. Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: If I unplug all CV inputs it works. A little annoying but I'll take it I guess.
Sinamsis
And shot another shitty video:

revoltcrews

--
As far as the rest goes:

Just got my 222 yesterday!! So,
I'm using it with a newly acquired OB-6 desktop module.
Set up the 222 & straightaway its working fine.
Using Rene on ch1 and Varigate8 on ch2

Couple quick ?'s:

1- am i right in thinking that i can use just my Rene's QCV output into 222 CV input 1, set that channel to 6-voice, and it'll perform the magic polyphony.

2- or, use Rene & Varigate 8 on 2 channels of the 222, set each one to 3 Voice,
and go from there.

I'm definitely hearing some forms of polyphony from my OB-6 desktop.

Running Rene and 1 cv output of Varigate 8 into 222 is getting some cool results.

Any tips for my 2 modular sequencers/222 to achieve chord like fatness.

Cheers!
Paranormal Patroler
Notes are played sequentially so it's not really chords, is it? It's more like a polyphonic arpeggiation where the previous notes are still there. If you play notes #1 #2 #3 and then stop, it'll hold them, but as soon as you play #4 then you lose #1. I don't know how Rene works to be honest, but you get what I'm saying, right?

If you do want chords you can use the Varigate to play all tracks (4) simultaneously. But other than that, it does play polyphonically on each track, indeed.

How do you like it so far?
revoltcrews
Notes are played sequentially so it's not really chords, is it? It's more like a polyphonic arpeggiation where the previous notes are still there. If you play notes #1 #2 #3 and then stop, it'll hold them, but as soon as you play #4 then you lose #1. I don't know how Rene works to be honest, but you get what I'm saying, right?

it will stack notes in 6 voice mode tho right ? thats why that switch is there eh.
or are we not capable of stacking notes to achieve chords.
Like sending 2 cv sources tuned differently & fire them at 222's 2 inputs. each set to 3 voice mode..
won't it play those at the same time ?

And i absolutely dig it!!
only had bout an hour with it last night.

If i played all 4 cv inputs simultaneously, Which Switch position would be best for this on each track ?
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
it will stack notes in 6 voice mode tho right ? thats why that switch is there eh.
or are we not capable of stacking notes to achieve chords.
Like sending 2 cv sources tuned differently & fire them at 222's 2 inputs. each set to 3 voice mode..
won't it play those at the same time ?

And i absolutely dig it!!
only had bout an hour with it last night.

If i played all 4 cv inputs simultaneously, Which Switch position would be best for this on each track ?

Of course it stacks notes! That's what the switches are for, I'm just saying it won't play them like a chord (as in everything on at the same moment), but you can create chords that way.

The switch position depends on your MIDI synth's voice. Let me give you an example of how I use it: I like switching to 3 voices even though I have a monophonic voice, as I tend to add portamento, so I can easily switch between sliding notes and non-sliding notes by flipping the switch. If you want chords you need to make sure the incoming voltages on the CV input will create your chord. So maybe if you send a CEG you might go for 3-voices.

Also, keep in mind that if you set the tracks on the same MIDI channel they do add up to the total polyphony of your synth. I use that sometimes to make more interesting patterns.
revoltcrews
cool!

getting some really nice results using varigate 8's 2 CV outputs.
having them synced to the same gate output for stacked notes into 2 channels on the 222, each set to 3 voices and same midi output to make the OB-6 happy SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Getting used to how the default note on/off works seems tricky.
Paranormal Patroler
Nah, it's very easy! It just understands whenever you reach a 12tet - V/Oct note and it fires a NoteOn info as long as the CV value is there. That means you don't need to fire Gate to "open your VCA" but to "close your VCA" if you want NoteOffs.

You can always switch each track to the other mode.
revoltcrews
chiming in..

getting some hung notes here and there.
the note on/off section is still interesting.
just watching the main led at the top kind of respond to gate inputs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUI-MHkgXfU/

super awesome to be able to work with the ob6 !!!
killer module!
Paranormal Patroler
What's the black panel on the second row?

Hang notes? Did you switch MIDI Channels ? That can happen if you don't allow the NoteOff to be fired and you swap channel before that. You can go back to the previous channel and click on the NoteOff button.
revoltcrews
its a blank panel.
that is the part of the row that went byebye to get the 0b-6 SlayerBadger!

not switching midi channels as i only have one synth.

still sorting the best way to use both the varigate8 and rene together on 1 midi channel.
Paranormal Patroler
I'd appreciate if you let me know more about how/when you get hang notes. I've only had them by switching channels which makes absolute sense. Never had any issue with any other switching, speed or whatnot. hmmm.....
revoltcrews
I'd appreciate if you let me know more about how/when you get hang notes. I've only had them by switching channels which makes absolute sense. Never had any issue with any other switching, speed or whatnot. hmmm.....

ill give a better report later when i get back in the studio cool
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:

ill give a better report later when i get back in the studio cool

Take your time and feel free to PM me. Just trying to determine whether it's user error, the OB-6 or if the module is acting up. You can never be too sure about MIDI but I want to make sure you're happy with the module. I absolutely love mine!
lootacow
I've been looking for a Voltage to CV converter for a long time. Ended up going with the Moon Modular 552 since I already have a 5u. If the Addac is anything like the Moon 552, it will be great. I love playing my polysynths with my euro sequencers
Daisuk
Anyone heard anything about the 221 app (nudge, nudge, Paranormal Patroler)? It's a bit frustrating that the app still isn't working. I'm happy to wait as long as there's a light in the end of the tunnel, obviously, but it would really suck if this turned out to be some sort of insolvable MIDI/Windows problem (have had my share of those). confused
Paranormal Patroler
Daisuk wrote:
Anyone heard anything about the 221 app (nudge, nudge, Paranormal Patroler)? It's a bit frustrating that the app still isn't working. I'm happy to wait as long as there's a light in the end of the tunnel, obviously, but it would really suck if this turned out to be some sort of insolvable MIDI/Windows problem (have had my share of those). confused

Working on it is all I can say. I hate making empty promises but I don't think anyone wants a module out in the wild without any option to edit, so hold your horses and thank you for your patience. I'm positive ADDAC will continue working on it soon enough.

A Windows Update has %&$*#(# my laptop up and I lost three days trying to fix my mouse drivers (still problematic). angry
Daisuk
Daisuk wrote:

Working on it is all I can say. I hate making empty promises but I don't think anyone wants a module out in the wild without any option to edit, so hold your horses and thank you for your patience. I'm positive ADDAC will continue working on it soon enough.

A Windows Update has %&$*#(# my laptop up and I lost three days trying to fix my mouse drivers (still problematic). angry

Yeah, I'm sure it'll come through eventually! smile Thanks!
Ah, man, I've struggled with updating Windows lately too (because of WannaCry). Computers! Don't know why I bother. lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 4 of 8