MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
Paranormal Patroler

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Paranormal Patroler
So where are the gate inputs on 222 ? Knowing Andre, the fact that there are no gate inputs means he has done some weird stuff here. I presume it understands CV values that correspond to MIDI Notes and automatically fires Gates when those are reached? It also has Note Off instead of Note On and the switches show that each "track" can do polyphony (1 - 6 voices). So it receives CV input and plays the MIDI notes until you send it a gate to stop the note?

A bit unorthodox but interesting.

It'll be a big issue if you want to use a straight sequencer which also fires its gates in-sync with the notes. One point I need to make: since you have the USB port on the front please please please allow for an option for the user to program an offset to the gate timing. It has been a huge issue with the Doepfer a-192-2's and it would save a lot of people a lot of trouble to be able to use their sequencers (e.g. Metropolis) directly with this module. Additionally it could help "swap" the functionality from Note Off to Note On if people prefer it. seriously, i just don't get it
flo
Wow! Addac is on a run! Looks like they're gutting out the VC computer. That is a good thing IMO, more specific and less generic thumbs up

Cheers Guinness ftw!
maltemark
I guess the midi in/out will be needing special cables?

i use my doepfer cv to midi all the time. Great thing to have a cv mangling mayhem machine to control 16 cc's on the TR-8, the output of which goes into an envelope follower etc. to generate the upstream cv signals that in the end ends up modulating the tr8's midi cc. The doepfer is a bit cumbersome though, needing a computer to dial in the presets and so on. A bit off-putting. Maybe this implementation is better?
visible cow
The 221 looks great. Would love to try this out with audiomulch.
borris_yeltzun
they should swap the presets knob with the usb port on 221
so you could use something like a right angle usb A cable and have easy access to presets

ima definitely gunna buy 1 or 2 either way tho
Paranormal Patroler
Had a big discussion with Andre about these on SB (sorry Andre, I know I'm opinionated but I'm just trying to help) and all.I can say is I'm really excited.
Eudox
Well my Octatrack receiving Voltage Control from the modular.

THAT should be something.
necrobious
All in on the 221. I've been looking at ways to control the midi CC params of a BigSky peddle, was set on the A-192-1 until I saw the 221.
A few questions:

1. how are thethe CC values set?
2. are there latency or flooding issues?
3. price?
Paranormal Patroler
necrobious wrote:
All in on the 221. I've been looking at ways to control the midi CC params of a BigSky peddle, was set on the A-192-1 until I saw the 221.
A few questions:

3. price?

1. You use a nice computer app which is very friendly
2. Haven't managed to flood mine yet, and I'm trying to
3. These aren't available yet hihi
ersatzplanet
I know I'm really old school here, but I wish it had a DIN-5 out instead of the USB. If it had a header that could connect to a expander module that had the DIN-5, that would be useful. I would love to dive some gear directly without the need for anything in between.

A module like this driving my Nord G1 or older rack synths would be very nice. Paring the ADC222 with an Axoloti would be a good combo too.
Paranormal Patroler
ersatzplanet wrote:
I know I'm really old school here, but I wish it had a DIN-5 out instead of the USB. If it had a header that could connect to a expander module that had the DIN-5, that would be useful. I would love to dive some gear directly without the need for anything in between.

A module like this driving my Nord G1 or older rack synths would be very nice. Paring the ADC222 with an Axoloti would be a good combo too.

I respectfully disagree. I love MIDI and always have, but I honestly like the TRS fad and I think it's about time we moved away from the old DIN option. TRS not only allows manufacturers to save space on their front panel, it gives way to MIDI patching between modules that use it and is actually the economic step forward as the old MIDI never utilized pins 4 and 5 to begin with.

Additionally I firmly believe that since Korg opened the flood doors, it's time someone steps in and makes a small female-female plug that accepts TRS jack on one side and male MIDI DIN on the other. I'm 100% sure that's doable, I just haven't found the manufacturer who would be up for mass producing it.

I don't know if ADDAC plans on making a TRS > MIDI DIN module to accommodate old-school users.

EDIT

I just realized you said "DIN-5 instead of USB" lol oh boy, now I feel stupid!
maltemark
Is it usb only?? that is only pure stupidity.
Paranormal Patroler
maltemark wrote:

Nope, both modules sport TRS MIDI In and Out (check the lower right corner of the panels on the images above) and I think ADDAC will provide the proper cables along with the modules, but don't hold me to that. I just assume that's the case. The USB acts as a medium for programming the appropriate CC parameters and other stuff and also acts as a MIDI Thru.
ersatzplanet
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
maltemark wrote:

Nope, both modules sport TRS MIDI In and Out (check the lower right corner of the panels on the images above) and I think ADDAC will provide the proper cables along with the modules, but don't hold me to that. I just assume that's the case. The USB acts as a medium for programming the appropriate CC parameters and other stuff and also acts as a MIDI Thru.

I did not see the TRS connection. That at least allows the making of a conversion cable a lot easier. Getting and soldering on a USB connection is not as easy.
Paranormal Patroler
Yeah, I think it's now easier to find a TRS-MIDI cable on the market. Doesn't Korg offer those as standalone ? The Volcas use them.
necrobious
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
necrobious wrote:
A few questions:

3. price?

1. You use a nice computer app which is very friendly
2. Haven't managed to flood mine yet, and I'm trying to
3. These aren't available yet hihi

Perfect, ty! thumbs up
Sinamsis
These modules are EXACTLY what I've been looking for (I was looking at the Doepfer modules for a while). Do we have an ETA on these?
Eudox
Andre gave me more precisions about how the 222 works by email. They've been added to a short FAQ on the product page.

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac222

The wrapping of the notes and the "sample and hold" functionality (with the gated "notes off") seem impressive (on 4 channels at once!).
Paranormal Patroler
Keep in mind that you can have both NoteOn and NoteOff set up for the same track/voice simultaneously. This gives you the option of doing c r a z y things with your rhythms by allowing different patterns for when the note fires and when it stops!

If you have any questions regarding the wrap around feel free to post them here and I'll see if I can answer them as best I can.
Eudox
The module goes way beyond CV to midi conversion, and i can now imagine many creative uses of it indeed!

With a well chosen sequence of gates you can indefinitely add variation to a 8 steps sequence for example, if i'm not wrong.

Anyway, the module deserves a proper demo!
Paranormal Patroler
The module is very playable. I can't do a demo right now but what I can offer is a live half hour set next week in which the ADDAC222 will be the centerpiece. If the video is worth its salt I'll be happy to repost it here. oops
Sinamsis
So I just ordered a 221/222. Super excited to get these. Is there a manual for these?
Paranormal Patroler
Sinamsis wrote:
So I just ordered a 221/222. Super excited to get these. Is there a manual for these?

Not that I know of but saying that a) they are very straightforward to use, b) I'm always happy to help with any questions you might be having, and c) I'm positive ADDAC will make another great looking and in-depth manual. So no worries about that!

d) they also make great demo videos that go in-depth as well.
Sinamsis
Dude, you just opened the flood gates.....

So in the bottom right, there's a group of inputs labelled "all notes off/note ons".... what exactly is that? is that for incoming gates/triggers? I'm also still having some difficulty wrapping my head around the note off inputs.... obviously I know how it works in the MIDI world, and I understand somewhat how you would use it with the polyphonic setup and to choke notes. But basically let's say I want to use my Rene to sequence a hardware synth of soft synth (not imaginative, I know)... how would I do that?

Also, it looks like the 221 sends USB MIDI. Is the 222 USB just for programming or does it also transmit MIDI?

The 221 description mentions connecting several 222's to it using it's thru functionality. How would one do this physically? A TRS cable? And why? To only use one USB cable?

Is there a programmer for the 221?

Have you tried audio rate modulation? I can't imagine this could work well, but I'd be pleasantly surprise if it did.

Any stepping or lag that you can notice?

Sorry, a million questions I know. I kind of bought this with little info available. I know I went out on a limb. But its exactly the solution I've been looking for (I've actually been saving a case just for these modules since I heard about them). I'm really hoping it's worth it, I suspect it will be. I love the few ADDAC modules I have.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5