MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Author Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler
h4ndcrafted
I think the CDM article raises an interesting wish, Ableton link caperbility, that would pretty awesome.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/04/pioneer-just-made-the-hardware-s ampler-that-ni-akai-didnt/
jkile9
If this thing has live sampling that might push me over the edge. I love the capabilities of the Octatrack but have an extra 8 tracks, better pads than the RYTM, 8 outputs and an analog filter sounds soon great. Wasn't able to find any info on the site about it either. This feels like what the MPC Touch should have been
Eme
If it has MIDI sequencing, more than 16 steps, and its real time sampling and timestretching capabilities are good enough, this could be a really great product. Even though the price tag is just absurd. 1600€ is really pricey for a beautiful sampler.

Anyway, Pioneer seems to have won the race for the "standalone pad sampler". AKAI teased us with a 'Windows embedded' standalone MPC a long time ago (2 years now) and it smells like vaporware...
GovernorSilver
To be truly a competitor to the Octatrack, it would need parameter-locking or at least some kind of parameter automation.

If this product is a success, maybe they'll consider a poor folks' version that substitutes a digital/analog modeling filter for the Prophet 6 filters. Then those customer will complain how the filter sucks but, hey, life is hard in the first world.
poppinger
The specs section on the website says that the inputs and outputs are RCA jacks, but in the rendering on CDM they look like 1/4" jacks. hmmm.....
h4ndcrafted
I can't see it being any of those things. Pioneer make robust easy to use Dj equipment. That is their thing.

This isn't going to be a programmers/experimentalist sampler, it will do a few things very well and be reliable. I guess that is what you're paying for. I will be very surprised if it has much sequencing capability. Just take a look at their other gear, it is relatively simple, but you pay a lot because their gear is club proof.

Personally if the build is excellent this could be a very reliable, if pricey live sampler. If it does a lot more than seq and realtime time stretch I will be suprised.

I hope it has a good groove element to it, like templates, be nice if it has some sort of Lofi mode as well. I'd like a few decent fx thrown in at this price from their other units, although will probably air on the more obvious cheesy dj sort. Still I'm not even sure will have much more than seq and an analogue filter ? Hence the big deal made of the DSI element.

Sending some of those outs to their fx units could be a lot of fun!

I just thought, the Tempest is only a few hundred more than this, that price feels a bit steeper now.
dpad
I'm interested in this because it could present an interesting tool not only for augmenting DJ performances, but for sample-based music creation. I've used Traktor for years, and I love grabbing loops from songs on the fly. And with four tracks, you can create interesting multilayered loops. I have not, however, found a place for remix decks in my workflow. I also have Maschine, which I sample stuff from Traktor into. But one of the most infuriating limitations of Maschine is that it still does not have realtime timestretching. And there is still no real integration between Traktor and Maschine. With the TORAIZ and Rekordbox DVS, this could be really interesting if they get it right. If you can grab samples from Rekordbox or external sources on the fly, sequence them and save them, I might give it a try. Really looking forward to demos.
AdamJay
GovernorSilver wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
I hope this forces Elektron's hand in pushing out an Octatrack 2.

You mean a Bestä. Or a Hemnes. Or a Samplrtørp

Anything but "Octatrack 2".

There's no Monomachine 2, Machinedrum 2, etc. That's the Elektron way.

Okay, Octatrack Mk2, then.
h4ndcrafted
What's the scene button for ? Do you think it is like midi snapshots like the su700 ?

Make those 16 steps a bit more diverse.
CF3
h4ndcrafted wrote:
What's the scene button for ? Do you think it is like midi snapshots like the su700 ?

Make those 16 steps a bit more diverse.

SCENE is just probably a collection of Sequences, much like a lot of other machines (and Ableton for that matter). Useful for live song structure.
The 4 "pad mode" buttons under the 16 pads look interesting...TRACK, MUTE, SLICE, SCALE... Triggering and muting sequences in realtime from the pads is one of my favorite MPC functions. Hopefully the SLICE is "pad chopping" a sample or loop. Not sure what SCALE will do? Could be a couple different things. Also looks to have MPC-style Note Repeat. The LENGTH button is encouraging for polyrhythms. Hopefully it can do different time divisions per track.

With any machine like this I think it'll be all about the operating system. The build itself looks solid.
graphixsounds
both the touchscreen and timestretching should be top notch considering they've had the tech in several of their products for years.

most of pioneers dj products are built with great quality and work very well. i wouldnt expect this to behave differently.

someone at pioneer should start answering questions though bc this announcement has provoked a lot of great questions about what it does or could do
codemode
...I just can't believe that the Pioneer folks let DSI use that awful mistral font for Dave's signature. It makes everything look awful to me (flashbacks of Flashdance, Silk Stalkings, Sandals resorts, or that shitty restaurant across the street from my house). It was fine when he started DSI and wanted to slap his sig on there without having to hire someone or take the time to make a proper logo with vector graphics. It needs to die a miserable death twisted maybe I'll start a petition razz

Look forward to more details. On first sight it seems a bit shorthanded on several aspects but waiting for more concrete details.
Paranormal Patroler
CF3 wrote:
SCENE is just probably a collection of Sequences, much like a lot of other machines (and Ableton for that matter). Useful for live song structure.
The 4 "pad mode" buttons under the 16 pads look interesting...TRACK, MUTE, SLICE, SCALE... Triggering and muting sequences in realtime from the pads is one of my favorite MPC functions. Hopefully the SLICE is "pad chopping" a sample or loop. Not sure what SCALE will do? Could be a couple different things. Also looks to have MPC-style Note Repeat. The LENGTH button is encouraging for polyrhythms. Hopefully it can do different time divisions per track.

I have the exact same questions, especially when I saw SCALE on there.
h4ndcrafted
Of course, being a Live user that should of twigged d'oh!

At least there are some short of of fxs, starting to think there wasn't any. One of the pics has chorus as fx 1. I wonder how they have organised them.

Maybe I'm wrong and they have a few non dj type fx (more subtle sounding) as this is in a 'Production' category on their website.
Paranormal Patroler
Is there a price available ? hmmm.....
Barfunkel
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

If you have to ask, you don't wanna know. It aint' cheap!
Eme
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

1600€... zombie
Eme
The polyrythmic capabilities would be a huge turn on for me, though. help
Villarceau
GovernorSilver wrote:
To be truly a competitor to the Octatrack, it would need parameter-locking or at least some kind of parameter automation.

To be a competitor to the octatrack it would need better sound (quite possible) and more outputs (check) if does do live sampling. I had the Pioneer RMX-1000 and it supported entering little unquantized rhythm sequences on the mini-sample player. If it will sport a few nice effects (I'm not sure it will) with sufficient nuances, this is a competition for both the octratrack and rytm especially because this is going to be easy to use, for some users that will matter a lot. The fact that this can synched to a CDJ is the major selling point for me: it would be a great way to gig without a computer and using minimal gear.
Parametex
I feel that this machine will sufficiently do what the 70% of the octa ppl use their OT for.
DiscoDevil
All the talk about Pioneer build quality has me scratching my head. Pioneer stuff is generally feature rich and has a nice finish but is notoriously poor in build quality and longevity. I'm always surprised when I play on a Pioneer mixer that's more than a year old and is still fully functional.
tom.bzode
At that price point this thing better have a good MIDI spec...

No mention so far as to whether it can sequence external MIDI gear. To continue in the lineage of the MPC etc this should really be a given.

Can it be driven by an external sequencer, fully multi-timbral, across channels?

I am pessimistic.
marcomoreno
Villarceau wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

To be a competitor to the octatrack it would need better sound (quite possible) and more outputs (check) if does do live sampling. I had the Pioneer RMX-1000 and it supported entering little unquantized rhythm sequences on the mini-sample player. If it will sport a few nice effects (I'm not sure it will) with sufficient nuances, this is a competition for both the octratrack and rytm especially because this is going to be easy to use, for some users that will matter a lot. The fact that this can synched to a CDJ is the major selling point for me: it would be a great way to gig without a computer and using minimal gear.

The Toraiz does have 8 Outputs.
http://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/production/toraiz-sp-16/black/spec ifications/
marcomoreno
tom.bzode wrote:
At that price point this thing better have a good MIDI spec...

No mention so far as to whether it can sequence external MIDI gear. To continue in the lineage of the MPC etc this should really be a given.

Can it be driven by an external sequencer, fully multi-timbral, across channels?

I am pessimistic.

Midi out seems to be implemented. It would be strange if this machine is not able to sequence external stuff.
Read the specs http://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/production/toraiz-sp-16/black/spec ifications/
lamouette/rck
DiscoDevil wrote:
All the talk about Pioneer build quality has me scratching my head. Pioneer stuff is generally feature rich and has a nice finish but is notoriously poor in build quality and longevity. I'm always surprised when I play on a Pioneer mixer that's more than a year old and is still fully functional.

Exactly, every Pioneer stuff i had, are well finished, but really poor quality.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 2 of 23