MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Author Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler
Panason
Yeah I mean if you want notes to overlap without sharing the same start and end points. Not just for strummed chords but for also doing glides on some monosynths which require legato for glides.
DiscoDevil
Panason wrote:
Yeah I mean if you want notes to overlap without sharing the same start and end points. Not just for strummed chords but for also doing glides on some monosynths which require legato for glides.

I see. Yeah, that would be nice.
calaveras
It's an intriguing piece. But man, the name sounds like a Hyundai Sedan.
Jason Brock
I admit that I simply didn't even consider the SP-16 for a while because of the Rainbow Brite aesthetic and the letters "DJ" on the case. But now that I've given it a chance, it has won me over big time. It doesn't do everything, but it does exactly what I need with an easy to use interface.

- It has excellent pads with a very playable velocity curve, plus freely assignable Choke groups - these are necessary basics that I appreciate coming from an MPC.
- They grafted that onto an x0x step sequencer with parameter locks, probably inspired by Elektron sequencers (though not as full featured).
- Can also record live input, unquantized or quantized.
- Great sound quality, both with and without the Drive/DSI Filter.
- The large display is nice, so I don't have to rename all of my samples with shorter names in order to tell them apart (looking at you, Elektron).

There are a few strange things though, like why can't the touch strip affect a track as it plays back from the sequencer? It only works as you play the pads live. I also wish it could send modulation to the analog filter. It should be possible to mod it with a CV input for cutoff control...maybe some brave soul will crack theirs open one day and provide mod instructions.
Panason
If you start thinking what they could have done with this hardware and that screen.... that way lies madness!

I would throw money at someone who could get into the firmware and add all the things... I would erect a statue of them and sing their praises unto the end of days!!
nodog
Jason Brock wrote:
I admit that I simply didn't even consider the SP-16 for a while because of the Rainbow Brite aesthetic and the letters "DJ" on the case. But now that I've given it a chance, it has won me over big time. It doesn't do everything, but it does exactly what I need with an easy to use interface.

I'm feeling exactly the same having bought one last month. To add to the reasons to not consider the SP16: the price is very steep for what I'm using it for: just a simple loopsampler.

It does this very very well though. Couldn't imagine it being simpler and that's why I don't mind the lack of extra bells and whistles. Most of the time those extra functions just mess up the workflow. This sampler you can almost use without even looking in the manual.

Cut up a loop, make a pattern, parameter-lock some FX and there you go. It's just brilliant!
Jason Brock
nodog wrote:
I'm feeling exactly the same having bought one last month. To add to the reasons to not consider the SP16: the price is very steep for what I'm using it for: just a simple loopsampler.

At the retail price, it is expensive. But a few Ebay sellers are blowing them out for under $900 new at the moment, which I think is a good price for what you get.
nodog
Jason Brock wrote:

At the retail price, it is expensive. But a few Ebay sellers are blowing them out for under $900 new at the moment, which I think is a good price for what you get.

Yes, I got it second hand for that reason. 900 new should be about the price it is worth. Here in Europe it's still 1400.
WilDFire
These are going for almost firesale prices now and I'm thinking of jumping in for the DSI filter alone even though I love my octatrack.

B stock going for 799!
DiscoDevil
Jason Brock wrote:
I also wish it could send modulation to the analog filter. It should be possible to mod it with a CV input for cutoff control...maybe some brave soul will crack theirs open one day and provide mod instructions.

I have two of them and opened one up. Each section of the DSI PCB is clearly labelled and there appears to be solder points for most functions so some kind of breakout box should be possible.
Panason
SlayerBadger!
dubnspace
WilDFire wrote:
These are going for almost firesale prices now and I'm thinking of jumping in for the DSI filter alone even though I love my octatrack.

B stock going for 799!

who has them in stock for that price?
Jason Brock
dubnspace wrote:
WilDFire wrote:
B stock going for 799!

who has them in stock for that price?

Nobody that I've seen. ProAudioStar is the only one with that price and they are out of stock. A few Ebay sellers have them for around $850.
WilDFire
Yep it was proaudiostar and went back a few hours later and it was gone.

I know I will get the RTFM response and I did watch several videos but just wanted to confirm that you CANNOT p-lock analog filter sweeps, correct?

Thanks!
DiscoDevil
WilDFire wrote:
Yep it was proaudiostar and went back a few hours later and it was gone.

I know I will get the RTFM response and I did watch several videos but just wanted to confirm that you CANNOT p-lock analog filter sweeps, correct?

Thanks!

Correct. You'd want to resample the audio while you do it manually.
DiscoDevil
The DSI portion does seem to be just strapped on and not fully integrated in to the machine. It doesn't really make sense that you can't use midi CC to change the parameters on it. I wouldn't doubt if the functionality is there but Pioneer just never bothered to turn it on.
dubonaire
DiscoDevil wrote:
The DSI portion does seem to be just strapped on and not fully integrated in to the machine. It doesn't really make sense that you can't use midi CC to change the parameters on it. I wouldn't doubt if the functionality is there but Pioneer just never bothered to turn it on.

I would doubt it's there actually, because then there would need to be additional control circuitry.
DiscoDevil
dubonaire wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

I would doubt it's there actually, because then there would need to be additional control circuitry.

Well, there's some control circuitry in place considering you can choose how you want to use the section and that option was not available at launch ie it was "unlocked" in a software update. My guess is it's all there and just needs to be programmed.
dubonaire
DiscoDevil wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

Well, there's some control circuitry in place considering you can choose how you want to use the section and that option was not available at launch ie it was "unlocked" in a software update. My guess is it's all there and just needs to be programmed.

Yeah you are right actually. I don't use that feature and had forgotten about it.
Panason
very frustrating
where does it save the file when you render a track ?? Dead Banana
dubonaire
Panason wrote:
very frustrating

Have a look at the Firmware Version 1.5 Operating Instructions Addendum.
Jason Brock
I was also a bit bummed that it can't lock Reverse per step, but I figured out an easy workaround. Just assign the same sample to two tracks and reverse one of them, then set both tracks to the same choke group. With 16 voices available I don't mind using up an extra track for things like this when I need it.
Panason
Panason wrote:
very frustrating

Anyone? I already looked at Pioneer's sad excuse for a user guide... I tried to render a track and it looked like it saved something but I can't find it on the file system / internal or USB. There's a folder called "Rendered" but it's not in there...
Jason Brock
SP-16 v1.5 Addendum
Says, "The destination to store rendered audio files has been changed as: /PIONEER DJ SAMPLER/RenderedAudio/"

It works for me, that's where I find the files.
Panason
Quote:
You cannot access audio files after rendering from the sample browse screen of this unit. Save them in your computer for edit and mastering.

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry Sniper Sniper Sniper Sniper Sniper
Never again, Toraiz or Pioneer...

So the only way to bounce a track with effects included and then load the rendered audio to a track without a computer is to re-sample it from the analog inputs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 20 of 23