MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Author Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler
AdamJay
CF3 wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
What's the scene button for ?

SCENE is just probably a collection of Sequences, much like a lot of other machines (and Ableton for that matter). Useful for live song structure.

Bummer, if so.
Was hoping for OT style Scene or even Rytm style macro Scene.
GovernorSilver
Villarceau wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
To be truly a competitor to the Octatrack, it would need parameter-locking or at least some kind of parameter automation.

To be a competitor to the octatrack it would need better sound (quite possible) and more outputs (check) if does do live sampling. I had the Pioneer RMX-1000 and it supported entering little unquantized rhythm sequences on the mini-sample player. If it will sport a few nice effects (I'm not sure it will) with sufficient nuances, this is a competition for both the octratrack and rytm especially because this is going to be easy to use, for some users that will matter a lot. The fact that this can synched to a CDJ is the major selling point for me: it would be a great way to gig without a computer and using minimal gear.

I should have specified that as far as I am concerned, it needs parameter locks or parameter automation.

A lot of haters say the Octatrack has terrible sound so it wouldn't take much for a new product to "sound better". After all, "good" or "better" sound is highly subjective.

Yes, it has more outputs than Octatrack. See http://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/news/2016/toraiz-sp-16-sampler-and-step -sequencer/
heckadecimal69
GovernorSilver wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
I hope this forces Elektron's hand in pushing out an Octatrack 2.

There's no Monomachine 2, Machinedrum 2, etc. That's the Elektron way.

actually...
Miley Cyrus
GovernorSilver
heckadecimal69 wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
I hope this forces Elektron's hand in pushing out an Octatrack 2.

There's no Monomachine 2, Machinedrum 2, etc. That's the Elektron way.

actually...
Miley Cyrus

Ok, you got me. There is a Machinedrum MkII.

But they did release Analog Rytm later. And did not call it MachineDrum III
AdamJay
Also Monomachine mk2.

I doubt we'll get an "Analog Samplr"
GovernorSilver
AdamJay wrote:
Also Monomachine mk2.

Yeah but for some reason instead of Monomachine 3 we have Analog Keys/Analog 4.

I don't think the next-gen sampler will have that name either - that's why it didn't make the list of names I speculated would be used.
Hi5
The more I look at this, assuming the FX and time stretching are good, I could see this replacing my OT for live gigs especially when they start showing up used.
AdamJay
GovernorSilver wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
Also Monomachine mk2.

I don't think the next-gen sampler will have that name either - that's why it didn't make the list of names I speculated would be used.

No one is talking about an Octatrack 3 here, so not sure what you're arguing here.

Octatrack mk2 would fall in line with Elektron's history of revising existing products (the subject at hand here). Hence, Monomachine Mk2 is named as such, and not named the "Vertdaferk?".

For some reason? Really?
If you need help understanding why the Analog 4 is named as such and how it is a different product than the Monomachine and not a revision of the Monomachine, I would suggest you look at the specifications of both product lines.
h4ndcrafted
DiscoDevil wrote:
All the talk about Pioneer build quality has me scratching my head. Pioneer stuff is generally feature rich and has a nice finish but is notoriously poor in build quality and longevity. I'm always surprised when I play on a Pioneer mixer that's more than a year old and is still fully functional.

I haven't used pioneer gear for a while, most of the gear I had my hands on was analogue mixers and such, they took a battering quite frankly. They can't be that bad, enough clubs had them installed. Although Formula Sound seemed to be quite a common choice.

Maybe it is the idiot proof layout, but I haven't teamed Pioneer with bad build quality at all. It is just not exceptional quality.

I'd take a Pioneer over Elektons, which isn't bad by any means.
GovernorSilver
AdamJay wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
Also Monomachine mk2.

No one is talking about an Octatrack 3 here, so not sure what you're arguing here.

Octatrack mk2 would fall in line with Elektron's history of revising existing products (the subject at hand here). Hence, Monomachine Mk2 is named as such, and not named the "Vertdaferk?".

For some reason? Really?
If you need help understanding why the Analog 4 is named as such and how it is a different product than the Monomachine and not a revision of the Monomachine, I would suggest you look at the specifications of both product lines.

Sorry, man. I was having a bit of fun with the "Octatrack 2" thing. Didn't think it would upset you that much.

Half the names I put up were from the Ikea catalog.
h4ndcrafted
So what are the pads like on these modern Pioneers ? I read they are the same as some controller they do, prob for serato.

Anybody used it and can report on the quality and feel ?
h4ndcrafted
AdamJay wrote:
CF3 wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

SCENE is just probably a collection of Sequences, much like a lot of other machines (and Ableton for that matter). Useful for live song structure.

Bummer, if so.

Unless it is a collection and their setting, which kind of the same on the su and ableton now I think of it, now clips hold automation data.

Nothing about groove functionality too, big one for me, can't stand working on this sort of thing if you can't at least nudge to make your own swing or have templates. Basic swing seems a bit low spec now days.
CF3
h4ndcrafted wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
CF3 wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Bummer, if so.

Unless it is a collection and their setting, which kind of the same on the su and ableton now I think of it, now clips hold automation data.

I think this would be a base-case scenario. Sequencers from the 80's can do this sort of thing. By definition that's what a scene is. I just hope it includes everything......effects, filter, the slider automation, etc.

I also agree about "groove" or swing, but I would think if you're gonna include pads, you're gonna have to have unquantized sequencing or what's the point? All it would take is DELAY per step like on the Cirklon for the step sequencer.

Again, MUST. SEE. MANUAL. Help a brother out Pioneer. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
computer controlled
Way too expensive. Seems more marketed towards cotton candy edm "djs" rather than serious production. For the price, it better have proper effects per channel, not their "DJ EFEX", and the sample mangling better be on par with the OTs. Parameter locking, muting should be at trigger level, not on the actual audio track. And serious MIDI sequencing capabilities. Otherwise, not interested.

This just makes me miss my Octatrack even more.
GovernorSilver
Good point - why would you give the user pads but not let the user turn off quantize.

Some MPC users are famous for their real-time MPC pad drumming.
h4ndcrafted
Well I think there is obviously going to be some sort of automation per pattern, otherwise why have assignable touch slider.

I think there is no point comparing it to the Octotrack, I highly doubt the sequencer will be as advanced, more like a basic Mpc with realtime time stretch.

Having a master filter makes me think this isn't going to be about creating tracks, how often do you want to filter the master ? This part just seems like a gimmick. Maybe you can send stuff to the filter as already mentioned ?

This is more a remix tool to bridge the dj/production gap. I just think Pioneer are gonna get a lot of hate bc people really want a new hardware production sampler, and this is going to be more a DJ thing for ready made loops, not to work from the ground up. But then they have it in a production category.

I doubt it will have a very good sequencer at all for anything than local pattern based performance.
h4ndcrafted
Derpt
kstl
xonetacular
so on the plus side we learned it does live sample

only has one set of inputs though. didn't hear anything about more than 16 step sequences either. and it inherited the DJM effects...

I just hope this might force elektron to start putting out units with decent displays.
blinosynth
xonetacular wrote:

I just hope this might force elektron to start putting out units with decent displays.

...and no more irritating OS
h4ndcrafted
kstl wrote:

Sounds as if it isn't finished enough to give more detail , editing etc ?

Good to hear it has enough Ram, Pioneer aren't exactly going out of their way to sell it, which is why I think it is so unfinished.

I'm assuming you will be able to resample, hopefully with the filter.
johnnylonz
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Sounds as if it isn't finished enough to give more detail , editing etc ?

Good strategy IMO. I'd rather have them be a little coy on the features now and over-deliver on the finished product.
CF3
Pretty useless video honestly. I really don't need Dave Smith telling me how magical an analog filter is. Short on actual info. Nick was struggling to pry specs out of the other dude. I appreciate the sales pitch and everything, but get somebody who can talk intelligently on the subject. Details people, DETAILS.
h4ndcrafted
This on the GS thread..

'I just had a very nice dinner with the lead software programmer/designer of the Toraiz. Sampling from the audio input is possible. Additionally, you can resample through the analog filter section'
johnnylonz
Little more info here:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/04/we-got-our-hands-on-pioneers-new -sps-16-sampler/

Confirms MIDI sequencing in later firmware, can chain 4x16 step sequences, can do swing and shuffle, possible DAW integration in the works.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 3 of 23