MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Author Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler
DiscoDevil
Panason wrote:
Quote:
You cannot access audio files after rendering from the sample browse screen of this unit. Save them in your computer for edit and mastering.

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry Sniper Sniper Sniper Sniper Sniper
Never again, Toraiz or Pioneer...

So the only way to bounce a track with effects included and then load the rendered audio to a track without a computer is to re-sample it from the analog inputs?

Rendering is a function for exporting to a computer. You can resample the Master outputs internally.
Panason
I finally recorded something!
Here's another raw SP-16 live jam (pattern mode) recorded directly to stereo without further processing (No DAW or mixer)
The TT303 is clocked, controlled and distorted with the SP-16 ( using the line in)

oodles of fun!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/treebase/gangsta-acid-live[/s]

Hopefully I'll sequence it properly sometime and add some VST juice... doubt I'll get away with those samples tho hihi
DiscoDevil
Nice! Yeah, that's one thing I've never done with my SP-16 is use the THRU for effects.
Panason
This box is gonna be the hub from now on. Will have to start using the Arranger for more coherent structures. Bring on the fucking Cirklon.
DiscoDevil
Panason wrote:
This box is gonna be the hub from now on. Will have to start using the Arranger for more coherent structures. Bring on the fucking Cirklon.

I still haven't really used the arranger either. I just change patterns manually and then after the performance, I go through the recording and cut/copy/paste in Soundforge to "arrange" the tune. I guess I really never know what the song structure is going to be until I actually get in front of a crowd to play. Once I start the set, I just wing it and build the tunes up, break them down, remix, etc on the fly and hope it works out. Usually I can "fix" any phrasing errors or performance flubs afterwards.
Panason
I'm trying to stay away from perfectly streamlined beats but it's so easy to destroy a rhythm that people are dancing to, when trying to break away from a monotonous beat.... I want to keep it as live as possible but I'm finding it tricky with transitions/fills since switching to a new scene requires a few too many button presses (and remembering which scene I want) so I'm trying to stick with 16 patterns per "song".

Since there is no colour coding for the patterns within a scene, and there is no pattern chaining it's awkward working with transition patterns that should not loop..Moving patterns around so I can put such patterns next to the patterns they should follow (for easy recall when playing live) requires keeping a blank pattern as a copy/paste zone... the kind of house-keeping jobs that make people run back to the computer!

I thought about sticking to one or two bar long patterns and using the pattern length button to add fills that can be manually brought in for a bar or two... but it's easy to miss the timing window for a switch and let the pattern loop over.

I used to have a sequencer (or was it drum machine) that had dedicated fill patterns ... i miss that stuff.
DiscoDevil
Yep. Pattern organization is definitely a chore and leaving a blank pattern to use temporarily while you shuffle patterns around is necessary.

To make transitions smoother, I will sometimes put sequences from the next song in to the current one. Sometimes just the bassline or even just drums so I can break the tune down and then bring in some part of the next song before I switch scenes. It makes it sound more like a DJ set because I am combining the two tracks together for a bit before I "mix" out of the old one. Having another drum machine and synth with internal sequencers in the live rig helps as well as I can mix in to those for a bit while I switch scenes and then start bringing in tracks from the new song.
dubonaire
DiscoDevil wrote:
Yep. Pattern organization is definitely a chore and leaving a blank pattern to use temporarily while you shuffle patterns around is necessary.

To make transitions smoother, I will sometimes put sequences from the next song in to the current one. Sometimes just the bassline or even just drums so I can break the tune down and then bring in some part of the next song before I switch scenes. It makes it sound more like a DJ set because I am combining the two tracks together for a bit before I "mix" out of the old one. Having another drum machine and synth with internal sequencers in the live rig helps as well as I can mix in to those for a bit while I switch scenes and then start bringing in tracks from the new song.

I was going to say part of the reason you don't need to arrange is because the SP-16 is just one instrument in your live set.

Actually the arrangement function in the SP-16 is very easy to use and also good for jamming different loops.
h4ndcrafted
What I’m really coming to appreciate with this sampler, is actually how well sampling works.

Maybe it’s the other phrase samplers I’ve used, but actual method of sampling is so quick. Being able to resample to defined lengths and quickly being able to do retakes is great.

I’m not really using the arranger much as it is mainly used as a studio device.

I’m also finding the analogue filter is great for resampling and using as a band pass for boosting certain freq in drums.
h4ndcrafted
Service manual is here if anybody is interested ?

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/TSP-16_Serv_Man_QRT1001.pdf?token=AWw jTjpCN-mtyBSuTM2SVHEfdcninPJm_Thdolcfc0LaWggbp9zGkwFTZ4puUduiQAyVN7-hn E7h4LRqPj3jfe0h36xfow6UbX2RLu4RSpO_vC42jDAjkftflDfP29ScTKcgRWhD0F-Q50O xT3VHpGei9UPHCahLn6jisFiCu3oGXoWYWioaC8OqcuCuDsgFmjA
tenembre
h4ndcrafted wrote:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/TSP-16_Serv_Man_QRT1001.pdf?token=AWw jTjpCN-mtyBSuTM2SVHEfdcninPJm_Thdolcfc0LaWggbp9zGkwFTZ4puUduiQAyVN7-hn E7h4LRqPj3jfe0h36xfow6UbX2RLu4RSpO_vC42jDAjkftflDfP29ScTKcgRWhD0F-Q50O xT3VHpGei9UPHCahLn6jisFiCu3oGXoWYWioaC8OqcuCuDsgFmjA

Thank you!
sneak-thief
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Can't d/l without a fb login. Is there any possibility for this file to be hosted elsewhere?
sneak-thief
Aha, finally got the service manual.

Are there schematics also available?

"TSP-16 QRT1002: SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM, PCB CONNECTION DIAGRAM, PCB PARTS LIST"
sneak-thief
Re. analog filter section:

Can the analog high-pass filter be automated with the current firmware?

Neither the LPF frequency nor the LPF resonance pots are connected to the main CPU, but there's a single-channel DAC that goes to the HPF frequency CV control:

DiscoDevil
As it is now, no. I imagine you could make a breakout box to allow CV control over those circuits though.
DiscoDevil
Imagine a CV breakout box and just a midi to CV convertor so you could program in CCs and convert them to control the analog section of the SP. Someone needs to get on that.
Panason
I was going to say the same thing! Are there points on the PCB for CV control of the filters?

Could use a MIDI track to send out the CCs...
DiscoDevil
Panason wrote:
I was going to say the same thing! Are there points on the PCB for CV control of the filters?

Could use a MIDI track to send out the CCs...

There are clearly labeled solder points for each section on the PCB but I'm not skilled enough to know what you can do with them.
DiscoDevil
Another live set courtesy of the SP-16.

[s]https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/644910054[/s]
DiscoDevil
And yet another. This one is a collaboration with Autokinetic. We used 2x Toraiz SP-16s plus a bunch of other gear. We got around the sync drift issue by using one SP-16 as the master clock and loading it up with a majority of the timestretched loops and heavy pattern/scene changes. The other SP-16 was slaved but only one pattern per scene was used. Timing stayed tight throughout the nearly 1.5hr set.

All original music except the last tune which is a "cover". Performed live Somewhere in Wisconsin @ Even Furthur 2019.
hez
Apologies if this has already been covered in the thread (I read back a few pages and couldn't see a clear answer), but is there any way to just trigger loops up to e.g. 16 bars long and have them play constantly until stopped, Ableton style?

I'd love to have a sort of stems box that syncs nicely with CDJs so that I can stem out some of my own material and cut interesting loops from other tunes, with a bit more live control than just throwing them on a 3rd or 4th CDJ. However, 4 bars (or 8 bars with the weird pattern chain trick/LFO workaround) is a bit limited for the kind of long melodic progressions/pads in my music.

If I understand the (very limited) documentation, the 1.5 live recording/looper functionality seems to enable straight loop playing functionality (beyond the 4 bar pattern sequencer limits), but only for audio recorded live, not for samples already stored on the box/loaded from a USB stick?

Cheers
DiscoDevil
hez wrote:
Apologies if this has already been covered in the thread (I read back a few pages and couldn't see a clear answer), but is there any way to just trigger loops up to e.g. 16 bars long and have them play constantly until stopped, Ableton style?

I'd love to have a sort of stems box that syncs nicely with CDJs so that I can stem out some of my own material and cut interesting loops from other tunes, with a bit more live control than just throwing them on a 3rd or 4th CDJ. However, 4 bars (or 8 bars with the weird pattern chain trick/LFO workaround) is a bit limited for the kind of long melodic progressions/pads in my music.

If I understand the (very limited) documentation, the 1.5 live recording/looper functionality seems to enable straight loop playing functionality (beyond the 4 bar pattern sequencer limits), but only for audio recorded live, not for samples already stored on the box/loaded from a USB stick?

Cheers

You are limited to 64 seconds for sample length. The MPC LIVE might be more what you're looking for. The SP-16 sequencer is pretty well tied to 4bar loops and variations.
hez
DiscoDevil wrote:
You are limited to 64 seconds for sample length. The MPC LIVE might be more what you're looking for. The SP-16 sequencer is pretty well tied to 4bar loops and variations.

Thanks for the swift response! 64 seconds is definitely more than enough for me in terms of absolute length, it's just the 4 bar thing that's a bit of a killer.

The MPC Live looks fantastic but the plug and play sync capability of the SP-16 is the biggest sell for me - my sets will still be mainly CDJ based but being able to add a fairly portable live element on top, that isn't dependent on MIDI sync, is pretty attractive. I tend to move tempo quite a lot on the CDJs and being able to quickly turn sync on and off is really handy when switching in and out of ambient sections etc. - I fear relying on MIDI for this sort of performance would just lead to endless troubleshooting and pain lol
Panason
hez wrote:
(or 8 bars with the weird pattern chain trick/LFO workaround)

What trick is that?

Re: CDJs : I would check that the DJ Link thing actually works properly before buying....
DiscoDevil
Panason wrote:
hez wrote:
(or 8 bars with the weird pattern chain trick/LFO workaround)

What trick is that?

Re: CDJs : I would check that the DJ Link thing actually works properly before buying....

If you've got longer samples you can use slices or sample start times modulated by an LFO to start the sample from different points.

You can take a 16 bar sample and slice it up in to 4 bar slices and then use 4 patterns to play all 4 parts back to back or you can use an LFO to trigger the long sample from a different start point each time the 4 bar pattern loops around.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 21 of 23