MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Mapper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author LZX Mapper
goldenliustra
New Mapper module is available at LZX's website:
https://www.lzxindustries.net/product/mapper/

How essential is this one? Should I just get it? Assuming the answer is "yes" Guinness ftw!
Paulyvoks
goldenliustra wrote:
New Mapper module is available at LZX's website:
https://www.lzxindustries.net/product/mapper/

How essential is this one? Should I just get it? Assuming the answer is "yes" Guinness ftw!

Just got mine.
Love at first patch.
I would say it's the tie-dyed pile of cherries on the whole cake! thumbs up
Dirty_Bill
I actually use mine (original version) much less than I anticipated. So depending on your workflow, it may or may not be necessary.

If you are still figuring out your workflow, go for it! cool
Dirty_Bill
Dirty_Bill wrote:
I actually use mine (original version) much less than I anticipated. So depending on your workflow, it may or may not be necessary.

If you are still figuring out your workflow, go for it! cool

That said, I made sure to use it in all my patches last night. I do like the subtle colorations it can add, if you can coax it to be subtle! hihi
Dirty_Bill
Double Post!
samn
I use the OG colorspace mapper in almost every live performance its great to get crazy colors fast without nit-picking. I am going to get this as a 2nd for A/B channels in the cortex Miley Cyrus
goldenliustra
Sounds convincing, thanks!
Backroads
samn wrote:
I use the OG colorspace mapper in almost every live performance its great to get crazy colors fast without nit-picking. I am going to get this as a 2nd for A/B channels in the cortex Miley Cyrus

samn can you say a bit more about how you intend to use the mapper with the visual cortex? I recently got both and am curious how others are using them together. thanks
nickciontea
most common use scenario would be to plug an image (camera or pattern) into the hue input.

then take the RGB outs to the cortex. this gives you the thermal imaging(predator) look
make sure your brightness and saturation controls are turned up.. and since we are using the hue input. use those knobs to find a sweet spot

after you have figured out that patch.. you can start adding extra signals to the saturation and brightness inputs and finding sweet spots with those controls.. you'll slowly understand your favorite ways to use the module.

i always have a BSO qvam next to my mapper so i can mix my hue input.. mxing a small percentage of strobe or scroll to a camera before you get to the Hue input will make your face melt a bit. go from there
Dirty_Bill
nickciontea wrote:

i always have a BSO qvam next to my mapper so i can mix my hue input.. mxing a small percentage of strobe or scroll to a camera before you get to the Hue input will make your face melt a bit. go from there

This is a powerful technique. As you get more modules, mixing in processed waveforms and even feedback from other modules into the Hue input can create some subtle to powerful effects, even with just waveforms.
samn
Backroads wrote:
samn wrote:

samn can you say a bit more about how you intend to use the mapper with the visual cortex? I recently got both and am curious how others are using them together. thanks

Yeah man, I can take a demo if you want lmk, I will try to explain it. Nick explained it pretty well above. I usually plug everything into a blending matrix and then route those signals out to the input on the mapper, I then take the RGB out from the mapper and plug those into the corresponding RGB on the cortex. In this specific case I would like to have 2 mappers for Left channel and Right channel on the cortex so I can fade without a big difference in colors OR a BIG difference in colors lol (its powerful).

Traditionally with the old video encoder you only had RGB colorspace so you would route everything into 1,2,3 on the video blending matrix and then take the outputs and plug them into the encoder. The mapper gives you a nice new way to get colors in the work chain.
Backroads
Thanks, guys, for the explanations. I think I have enough to try things out on my own for now.

This video synth stuff is so rewarding, and I've only just started.
spacenoodle
Could someone explain why there are two sets of outputs, and what they each should be used for? Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to CV the colors.

This video stuff is enigmatic to me, compared to working with audio modules. I'm getting all sorts of cool visuals but I seriously have no idea what's going on.
trax
spacenoodle wrote:

This video stuff is enigmatic to me, compared to working with audio modules. I'm getting all sorts of cool visuals but I seriously have no idea what's going on.

hey nick - don't have a mapper yet....but keep reading the video forum and you may want to pick this up:

http://signalculture.org/dvd.html#.V30aT5Ao670

(or watch stuff on yoo tube....it will get you up to speed with video fast!)
nerdware
spacenoodle wrote:
Could someone explain why there are two sets of outputs, and what they each should be used for? Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to CV the colors.

2 different color spaces. Well, 3 because the Mapper converts from 1 to 2 others. There are many more color spaces but there's a limit to what 1 module can do.

Quote:

The Mapper has really transformed my video feedback patches. No, I have no idea either. I don't care - this is too much fun already. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Dirty_Bill
There isn't a way to directly CV it, however, you can use a crossfader to mix the outputs with themselves or with non-mapped versions of your signal under CV control, or add in a control signal to one of the other inputs to get some cv like effects.
nerdware
Yeah, I'm using a Pathways to mix in other signals. A VBM also works well, if you have one.
spacenoodle
Ok thanks for all your advice, I have this working now. I sent my video source simultaneously to channel A on the Cortex and Mapper. Then out of Mapper to Passage to Cortex channel B. With this setup, by sending CV to the middle row of inputs on Passage (called "thru"), I'm getting what I think is the same affect as twiddling knobs on Mapper. And I can blend the entire effect mix with the crossfader on the Cortex. And I get very different results between the YUV and RGB outputs.
nerdware
I had fun last night keying on the VC between both sets of Mapper outputs and twiddling the Mapper controls. I learned a lot.
wednesdayayay
I'm thinking about keeping a

| BSO triple VCA | Passage | Mapper |

all by each other

being able to CV either the incoming signals for the passages' inputs or THRU seems pretty powerful MY ASS IS BLEEDING
nickciontea
wednesdayayay wrote:
I'm thinking about keeping a

| BSO triple VCA | Passage | Mapper |

all by each other

being able to CV either the incoming signals for the passages' inputs or THRU seems pretty powerful MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Exactly, mixing inputs and external control of mapper is huge.

i usually mix a video feed, audio envelope (translator), scrolling oscillator, and feedback into the mapper as my basic patch.. one quad video mixer. with the right mix its perfect. a perfect slow scroll with the video feed and some feedback makes everything melt
evanh41
just picked up an OG mapper, and my god, paired with staircase...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1