MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Combined SE330/HVM module, screening query
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Combined SE330/HVM module, screening query
eljay
I am planning to build a 19" combined SE330/HVM module to go at the bottom of a custom 19" (250mm deep) 12U sleeve/rack from Flightcase. The rest of the rack will contain an Oakley PSU mounted on a rear heatsink panel, an MFOS 16 step sequencer and a number of Oakley 5U modules. My question is, do I need to house the SE330/HVM modules in a 1U metal rack case inside the rack to prevent interference or will they be OK secured to the front panel and floor of the rack sleeve?

I'm about to design a 19"x2U high Schaeffer front plate to provide the front panel/controls for the combined side by side SE330/HVM, a PSU on/off switch, power indicator LEDs and SE330/HVM input/output sockets, I'll also include some multiples for the synth modules to fill up any left over space.
Synthbuilder
If it were me I'd stick the SE330 and HVM in a separate case. The screening of a grounded metal case stops high frequency clocks getting out and other extraneous noise getting in.

It also makes working on it easier for calibrating and any fault finding that could come along at some point.

Tony
eljay
I'll be using the Oakley Modular PSU for the outer rack sleeve with an external PA-30, how do I 'ground' the separate metal case? I assume I am OK to power the SE330 and HVM boards from a couple of outputs from a Dizzy, obviously I'll have to make appropriate holes in the case for the connections.

I haven't used a rack case inside a sleeve before, do you know if a 250mm deep rack case will just fit in my custom (250mm between the front and back rails) rack sleeve?

I was planning on putting the Input/Output sockets on a front plate immediately above (or below) the SE330/HVM case, I will need to make a hole or two in the case and bring the connection wires out of the case up to the sockets, will the external (to the separate case) connection wires be an issue?
Synthbuilder
eljay wrote:
I'll be using the Oakley Modular PSU for the outer rack sleeve with an external PA-30, how do I 'ground' the separate metal case?

In the normal rack design it's done via a special mounting screw on the RPSU. In your case I'd just use a M3 screw & nut, some washers and a ring terminal to solder your wire to. The wire would then be connected to pin 3 of the Dizzy.

Note that you do not need to use pin 3 on the Dizzy connectors to connect to pin 3 of the HVM and SE330 power headers. On those two boards, pin 2 and 3 are one of the same, that is, 0V. This is not the case with the modular PCBs. Pin 3 of the Dizzy should only be connected to the metal casing of whatever enclosure you are using.

Just remember that the SE330 and HVM combination require at least 220mA to work - that's roughly equivalent to eight ordinary modules.

Quote:
do you know if a 250mm deep rack case will just fit in my custom (250mm between the front and back rails) rack sleeve?

It should fit. The back of the new enclosure will easily fit between the rear rails if it is slightly too long.

Quote:
... will the external (to the separate case) connection wires be an issue?

There should be no problems.

However, I would be tempted to use 1/4" sockets on the back of the HVM/SE330 case so you can take it out and test it separately from the rest of the system. You can then wire your panel with cables terminated in 1/4" plugs to fit into the HVM/SE330 unit.

The power could be taken in via a suitable power socket too.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1