MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Prismatic Ray
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Prismatic Ray
nerdware

This raises so many questions. What does AC/DC mean for a video module? 40/20? What is 4 Quadrant mode and how is it enabled? What is the difference between bias and gain? Does this module really replace the VWG? I guess it could do all the same things, and then some.

Anyway, it looks very tasty. thumbs up
AR126
Bop!
goldenliustra
WOWZ!
justscratch
prismatic

..very exciting
samn
Man, I gotta say its weird to have the fine control so small. I really dislike those small knobs. I know the reasoning is so you don't bump them but...
You usually dial in a frequency with the coarse and then fine tune with the fine knob. Since I am needing to adjust such a small amount it would make so much more sense to have a large knob.
cskonopka
samn wrote:
Man, I gotta say its weird to have the fine control so small. I really dislike those small knobs. I know the reasoning is so you don't bump them but...
You usually dial in a frequency with the coarse and then fine tune with the fine knob. Since I am needing to adjust such a small amount it would make so much more sense to have a large knob...

Seconded.
nerdware
I always forget there is a fine control on the VWG. d'oh! I seem to manage ok without using it, so this doesn't worry me. I'm more interested in the bias control. Relative brightness? Is that a waveform offset control with a VC? Plus a VCA? (With a 4 quandrant mode?) That's some heavy builtin processing. I hope that's correct.
nerdware
Trawling thru this subforum for keying clues, I found something possibly relevant to the Prismatic Ray in this old "Soft Keying" Techniques thread.
Quote:
Lately I've been interested in various techniques and circuits for "soft keying", that is, generating a key signal with sloped edges (generally from a video input, for luma key, chroma key, or colorizer type patches.)

An obvious way to do this is with a comparator running through a low pass filter or lag circuit to add a slope to the signal, and then using this signal the control for a VCA processing the original video. This method could be further expanded by having separate Rise/Fall controls, and Expo/Lin/Log slope control(s).

Another way that I've just learned about is using a high gain amplifier and a bias control, with a clipping circuit, to basically select an amplitude range in the original video that is then used as the soft key.

The key phrase (no pun intended) is high gain amplifier and a bias control. Coincidence or not, it could explain how the PR can do keying.
nerdware

That's just the first video in a long playlist of demos.
goldenliustra
This is crazy! I cannot wait for this thing to arrive Dead Banana
eth
Super stoked for this module as I the only oscillator I have is a BSO Triple LFO! Question for those with VWGs: What happens if you use a camera or video source in the FM input? Anyone able to share demos?
ebbflo
I'll make a quick demo of a video clip through a WVG compared to the PR later today. I think the PR is better suited for this application but both modules produce unique results.
eth
ebbflo wrote:
I'll make a quick demo of a video clip through a WVG compared to the PR later today. I think the PR is better suited for this application but both modules produce unique results.

Sweeeet! Thanks so much! It's peanut butter jelly time!
ebbflo
https://vimeo.com/169134258vwg vs pr

1. raw clip
2. video into vwg fm :trangle
3. video into vwg fm and pmw: pulse
4. video into vwg fm and sine shape: sine
5. video into pr bias, multiply, and freq vc: sine
eth
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'll certainly want to exploit this further down the road as right now I've mostly been using videos as sources in my system. Curious how it would respond to camera and camera-less feedback.
Ddorward
Just viewed the 40 some demo vids for this thing, pretty amazing stuff, can't wait to get my paws on one or many..... Question tho --- on video 20-21 and a few others there is a face on the screen which is twisted up and colored through the pr-- how would I go about getting my face or someone's face on my tv like that so I could manipulate it ? I'm still a noob ........
FetidEye
with a camera?
Ddorward
Like a CCTV camera?
nerdware
Like any other video signal, you can feed it into your synth via the input decoder on the Visual Cortex. Get a cheap CCTV camera with a composite output, connect that into the green RCA input on the VC and you'll get a monochrome signal from the Luma output.
Ddorward
Sweeeet! Thanks!!
nerdware

It's on sale!
Dirty_Bill
Well, its FOR sale, don't know about ON sale! hihi
nerdware
Look out, it's on fire! lol
Dirty_Bill
nerdware wrote:
Look out, it's on fire! lol

Haha! I just ordered 3x... finally not in the oscillator desert anymore...
eth
nerdware wrote:

It's on sale!

woah woah woah

Accidentally landed here by typing an "m" and hitting Enter in my browser address bar to check my Gmail, next thing I know I'm about to drain my checking account... Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3