MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Project] Hexinverter MUTANT SNARE - pcbs, panels, kits
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author [Project] Hexinverter MUTANT SNARE - pcbs, panels, kits
hexinverter
Howdy all,

So it's taken me awhile, but I've finally prototyped and verified the Mutant Snare DIY project! PCBs and other components are being ordered soon!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/245436361" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/233161713" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Quick facts (more info below)

This one has 185 pre-installed surface mount components on the bottoms of the PCBs (no, you don't have to do any surface mount soldering!). This is due to the complexity of the circuit and trying to squeeze all those parts into the small eurorack format. That's 185 less parts you have to source and install yourself!

This build should still take 3-4 hours to build, test and calibrate if you are taking your time and being careful.

The plus is that SMT parts are cheap - much cheaper than their through-hole counterparts. So it doesn't really affect the cost much to have them pre-installed for you. In fact, I would bet it's cheaper than sourcing the through hole parts yourself and then having to install them. But best of all: it means we can finally do full kits of these smaller Mutant Drums!

So without further ado, here are some PCB renders and in-progress prototype build shots.

Also some demo videos (which are mirrored on the Hexinverter project page linked above)

jamsk
Great news! Can complete my set of mutant drums. thumbs up
Opnotic
Well, -this just makes sense. Excited for the Snare full kits!
I'll leave it to someone else to ask when Mutant Machine DIY will be available. Err wait.
hexinverter
Opnotic wrote:
Well, -this just makes sense. Excited for the Snare full kits!
I'll leave it to someone else to ask when Mutant Machine DIY will be available. Err wait.

Perhaps I should make an announcement about it...

Never say never and all that, but I don't see the Machine making it to DIY anytime soon. It would be a cool project but unfortunately it's a little too complicated to go ahead with! Dead Banana
Bishop Dust
Yesss finally !
oozitron
Any chance you will sell a "PCB + Chip" kit for us non-Euro DIY'ers?

I would suspect a couple resistor changes would make it suitable for +/- 15 volts?

Drew
antf4rm
Great! Thanks Hex. I need a snare.
hexinverter
oozitron wrote:
Any chance you will sell a "PCB + Chip" kit for us non-Euro DIY'ers?

I would suspect a couple resistor changes would make it suitable for +/- 15 volts?

Drew

If you are comfortable soldering SMT, I can show you some resistor values to solder in parallel over the ones already on the PCB in order to get the right values for 15V. I'll add this into the assembly manual once it is ready.
hexinverter
I've been really slow at getting in-house video demos done lately...but that's going to change soon smile

Thankfully this Polish magazine Estrada i Studio just did a great walkthrough/review!

Check it out here.

PS: PCBs and panels are on order, and SMT assembly will begin shortly after. Parts are beginning to arrive for kits. Will update once they're here!

hexinverter
Mini update!
  • PCBs + SMT manufacturing are almost done.
  • Waiting on potentiometers for full kits which have somewhat of a lead time
  • All other components are here! We're beginning to pack what we can of it.
  • ETA: depends when the pots get here, but hopefully not more than 4 or 5 weeks
xahdrez
applause

Excited about expanding my mutant drums!
bemerritt
So full kits coming for the others as well?
Useful Noise
Been waiting patiently for this Panel/PCB. Seems the wait has almost come to an end. Good work!
hexinverter
bemerritt wrote:
So full kits coming for the others as well?

Just Mutant Snare and possibly onward. Because it uses SMT parts that means we don't have to kit a huge spread of resistors and stuff, which would make the kits cost almost as much as the retail modules if that were the case, unfortunately.
Opnotic
I can already smell the Nag Champa!
hexinverter
Opnotic wrote:
I can already smell the Nag Champa!

hihi hihi hihi
thetwlo
EXCELLENT!!!

any benefit to using better op amps in place of some of the tl072s?
hexinverter
thetwlo wrote:
EXCELLENT!!!

any benefit to using better op amps in place of some of the tl072s?

I doubt there would be any audible change. What's more, using transistor-based opamps instead of JFET like TL0XX might actually decrease performance in this case.

And, the overdrive circuit works better with the rails clipping at a lower voltage (not quite 24Vpp) so rail-to-rail opamps would also make it not as great.
hexinverter
SOOON! grin
We've finally received and verified the boards and are finishing up packaging kits and PCB/panel sets. I am presently working on the assembly manual. These will go up for sale in the coming week or so. It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!

wavefold
are the sets/kits gonna hit Thonk someday? love already built a Mutant Bassdrum that awaits a sweet mutant snappy companion
xahdrez
Yeah likewise - happy to buy direct, but will hold on for thonk stock if they're headed that way! This is fun!
hexinverter
mr.freeman wrote:
are the sets/kits gonna hit Thonk someday? love already built a Mutant Bassdrum that awaits a sweet mutant snappy companion

Steve has got a number that he has requested yes!!! With the possible Canada Post strike they might get delayed depending how that pans out, but rest assured he will for sure have a good bit of them in his shop This is fun!
xahdrez
Sweet, thanks Stacy! thumbs up
sbmani
anyone have photos of their completed DIY? hihi
hexinverter
sbmani wrote:
anyone have photos of their completed DIY? hihi

Just mine! hihi haha scroll up a few posts for the image if you didn't catch it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2