MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone doing crazy things with their Dotcom Q960 sequencer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Anyone doing crazy things with their Dotcom Q960 sequencer?
Bryan B
I just thought I would share this, probably because I am excited and mostly to see what kind of discussion could result.

I am currently thinking of all the different ways of using my Dotcom Q960 (when it arrives) and one of the ideas I had was using Ableton Live to trigger MIDI "note on" messages which are converted to 5vDC Gates (using a Highly Liquid midi to Gate Kit that I built).

I would use the gates (up to 48 outs, but I only need 8) to trigger each of the stages/steps in any order I wanted from Ableton Live. I could store the triggering patterns as midi clips (without the knob values being stored obviously). This seems like I could control the gate lengths for each note as well. Win, Win, Win?

I would also buy the Sequential Switch (3 stage version with shift and trigger inputs for each stage) and trigger the row CV (1-3) that I wanted for each note as well. This would allow access to all 24 notes (only one at a time from multiple rows and up to 8 at a time if they were all from the same row). Yes, I do realize 8 notes at a time adding together would most likely yield an unmusical voltage output.

The music I enjoy making requires a lot of programming sequences, so this idea really appeals to me and still allows for a large range of CV output possibilities that I didn't even know could exist from this machine.

Is anyone here already using it this way? Any other ideas that don't fit the normal use scenario?

I remember people on here talking about using the 960 at audio rate for some interesting results.

Disclaimer: I realize that some of the fun and feel of this sequencer would probably involve using it in the normal way and I do plan on using this every way possible.
russma
I also have one on order, so hopefully in a few weeks, we can compare notes.

bad pun intended.

w00t
Bryan B
Hah, sounds good!

I bought one from a Wiggler, it has the factory installed reset option as well.
russma
I bought new:

--Q960 w/RF
--Q961
--Q962
--Q963 w/WF

How did I miss another wiggler selling a 960? I would have pounced on it. Good on you for grabbing it.

thumbs up
Peake
Try clocking it at audio frequencies and controlling it from a keyboard (been ages, doesn't the 960 have a CV in for rate?). Put the output into your filter/vca...

Morbius posted a video a while back I think at the electro-music forum regarding using the reset inputs to make sequences more semi-random...worth searching out.

The thing with this is, like a Pringle's, you can't have just one hihi
essex sound lab
I have a pair of 960w, plus 961s, 962s, 963s and the Moon stuff. I haven't played around too much with automating/randomizing stage selection on the 960 (I figure that's what I have the Moon 569 w/ expander for), but I do play around with timing via the Moon Trigger Sequencer a lot.

And yes, audio rate is simply orgasmic. You may or may not come away with anything all that musical but trust me, you won't come out of the studio for hours. Have you seen the "orgasm loop" scene from the movie "Brainstorm"? If you're not careful, someone will find you like that.
russma
I think the "Control Input" (lower left in the photo) controls Osc rate, but I'm not sure (?)

essex sound lab
idiotboy wrote:
I think the "Control Input" (lower left in the photo) controls Osc rate, but I'm not sure (?)


Yup. With two, you can play Keith Emerson by using the stages of one to continuously increase the clock rate of the other.
Bryan B
idiot boy: You didn't miss it, I got lucky and couldn't resist the urge to adopt it. I might put in a an order with Roger if my Mooger Fooger setup sells, then I will have the sequential switch and bunch of other goodies coming my way.

Peake: Thanks! That sounds a lot more amazing (the way you put it) than when I was first thinking about it. How many sequencers are enough?
russma
Quote:
....With two, you can play Keith Emerson by using the stages of one to continuously increase the clock rate of the other....




...I would, but the leather pants make me chafe.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Attorks
Well, I ordered a Q960 with reset option and a Q962 one month ago. But due to the air traffic chaos causes by the volcanic eruption in Iceland, the order has not been sent yet. I kind of wonder if the Q960 can be synchronized by my Doepfer MAQ16/3. I imagine I can feed the gate of a row on the MAQ into the shift input of the Q960 and away we go ...
Bryan B
Essex Sound Lab: Dual 960's affecting each other! That would probably just blow my mind apart!

Attorks: Volcanoes are always trying to ruin our fun! Sorry to hear that you are having to wait so long for your robots to arrive.

How many envelopes do I need now, 8? I imagine having a different envelope for each stage would be pretty cool, but maybe overkill?

I could probably use a few sequencer Interfaces though so I could route some gates to the Filtering envelope and some to the VCA Envelope.
CZ Rider
The 960 is great because it is very modular. Bob Moog originally offered the sequencer complement, that could be configured just about as many ways as you can imagine. So with dual Q960's and a few Q962's you would have a versatile analog sequencer system, just like the Moog sequencer complement B.
For instance using the built in oscillator/clock CV input that is scaled to 1volt/octave, you can get a seperate waveform generator from each of the 3 rows, by driving it in the audio range and running the output to audio in on your filter/VCA. Or drive it from any VCO via the shift input.
For seperate gate length for each stage, you can drive the 960 from the shift input via, a seperate LFO's square wave. Asign one row to the pulsewidth input on the LFO for the gate length, and use that LFO to trigger your EG's.
With 2 960's, one can control the pitch in say 8 steps, while the second could control the filter or VCA in 7 steps creating a longer pattern. Or with a quantizer and CV mixer add the CV from the one in 8 and the one in 7 to make a long changing sequence.
You can use one of the 962 to divide the clock in half running one 960 at half speed of the other. Or use the 960 as an expensive clock divider.
The possibilities are just endless with two 960's and a few 962'2.
Lately I have been driving mine from a PAIA MIDI2CV8 that has 8 gate outs when set to drum mode. Using a software drum grid and assigining two gates to each of the 960's shift inputs, and the other 6 gates to Simmons drum brain to create all kinds of crazy patterns. And I haven't even scratched the surface of what can be done with these. Skips, rests, any length, play the switches, play the buttons on the 962's, just endless fun.
Two is more fun than one and they have those warm incandescent lights!
Bryan B
Knowledge dump!

Thanks for all of the ideas to try. The cult of seasoned Wigglers never fails to amaze me.

It seems I need to plan on having 2 of these in the future, I better go back and warn my past self to start coming here and buying bad ass modules sooner. smile
russma
...and that photo looks all cozy 'n shit.

love
Peake
Bryan B wrote:
Peake: Thanks! That sounds a lot more amazing (the way you put it) than when I was first thinking about it. How many sequencers are enough?


Mmm, you're new to this modular thing, aren't you hihi

In other words, you will always be able to think up a snazzy use for "just one more" of each module you already have...it never ends...ever...get used to it....one of us, one of us, we accept you, we accept you, Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

(Run, while you still have a chance!) help
Bryan B
New, yes. Running no. Room sized modular, on it's way (and quicker than I ever expected).

Gobble away, I taste funky.
Peake
THAT'S THE SPIRIT! applause

Do yourself a favor and look up Morbius on youtube. Mail him and ask after the video with the sequencers...I'm not sure what he called it, but he's great, and you'll like his stuff smile
Ranxerox
CZ Rider wrote:

For instance using the built in oscillator/clock CV input that is scaled to 1volt/octave, you can get a seperate waveform generator from each of the 3 rows, by driving it in the audio range and running the output to audio in on your filter/VCA. Or drive it from any VCO via the shift input.


CZ Rider, your set-up is fucking sweet man. Can you tell me, how fast can you clock the dotcom Q960? i.e. how far up into audio-rate before it hits the ceiling? I'm interested in the UEG's limits for this as well...
Attorks
Attorks wrote:
Well, I ordered a Q960 with reset option and a Q962 one month ago. But due to the air traffic chaos causes by the volcanic eruption in Iceland, the order has not been sent yet. I kind of wonder if the Q960 can be synchronized by my Doepfer MAQ16/3. I imagine I can feed the gate of a row on the MAQ into the shift input of the Q960 and away we go ...

My package is shipped yesterday. applause I'll just have to wait and see when it arrives.
suitandtieguy
not currently, but now that the Time Divider is pretty much working i'm chomping at the bit to get one.
bwhittington
Attorks wrote:
I kind of wonder if the Q960 can be synchronized by my Doepfer MAQ16/3. I imagine I can feed the gate of a row on the MAQ into the shift input of the Q960 and away we go ...


That will definitely work. My only disappointment with the Doepfer sequencers is the inability to do the reverse--sync them to other sequencers (without some CV to MIDI hat trick).

Cheers,
Brian
CZ Rider
Ranxerox wrote:

CZ Rider, your set-up is fucking sweet man. Can you tell me, how fast can you clock the dotcom Q960? i.e. how far up into audio-rate before it hits the ceiling? I'm interested in the UEG's limits for this as well...


Thanks! The 960 as an oscillator craps out just above a fairly high G# using the internal oscillator, via the 1/volt oct control input. It will go a little higher driving it with an MOTM-300, but not much more. The only glitch is at those high frequency ranges, flipping the stages in and out can put the Q960 in a state where no stages are on, and it stops oscillating. No problems at slower frequencies. The amount of stages changes the frequency higher as less stages are used. 8 stages is the max though as shifting stages via the Q962 did not work for me as the shift at the high frequency made a click/interupt in the waveform.
But it does make for an interesting 2 to 8 step waveform generator.
Here is a sample I made to demo the audiable range of the Q960. No other audio source but the Q960. Can hear it crap out and just stop above that G#. But it has this nice gritty tone I can't get from the 901's. Does square/pulse waves best.
Q960 range demo as an oscillator
I'll have to patch up the UEG next. Never though of trying that?
analogsteve
CZ Rider wrote:
Here is a sample I made to demo the audiable range of the Q960. No other audio source but the Q960. Can hear it crap out and just stop above that G#. But it has this nice gritty tone I can't get from the 901's. Does square/pulse waves best.
Q960 range demo as an oscillator


Wow. That sounds awesome. Yet another reason I should buy a Q960...

Steve
JohnLRice
analogsteve wrote:
CZ Rider wrote:
Here is a sample I made to demo the audiable range of the Q960. No other audio source but the Q960. Can hear it crap out and just stop above that G#. But it has this nice gritty tone I can't get from the 901's. Does square/pulse waves best.
Q960 range demo as an oscillator


Wow. That sounds awesome. Yet another reason I should buy a Q960...

Steve
sad banana

Yeah, CZ! Sounds cool and I always love your kick ass playing! love

Do you have a MOTM-730? Sounds like you could clock one with your 960's output and create the same effect I did below (only with better chops! thumbs up )



Hey! hmmm..... I've got a C960 . . .I sould try it too! hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group