MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yay I got a sequencer! Sequenced Drone on youtube
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author Yay I got a sequencer! Sequenced Drone on youtube
dkcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcXKO1F5eF4
I got a sequencer and a couple other toys, had to get another case.

PlanB M38 Wavespicer used in there somewhere...

I'll do another patch using both the ones I got later, maybe this weekend, we'll see.
felix
Awesome! I love how percussive the Dalek sounds there. It really resembles some kind of hand drum.
dkcg
I love when that tabla type sound starts to come outta my speakers. It's almost like there's some magical frequency and FMed waveform that makes the M13's really sing.

I used to have a handmade talking drum from Ghana, I loaned it out and never saw it again, modular's the next best thing...wait, it's better. smile
felix
Yeah, ring mod actually leads to very natural (and unique) drum sounds. I never would have thought that until I got the machinedrum, which has amplitude modulation available for each sound.

But you nailed the secret sauce, the M13. The Dalek, with the extra bit of FM and that just sounds so good. Ok, now I need to play around with that! lol
dkcg
It feels like the lower the frequency, the slower the gates on the M13 respond. Almost like it's letting that slow waveform just force itself through the gate and giving thet "whump" vactrol sound. I've gotten some shiny metal tube type sounds by sending just an FMed sinwave through it from my 2 M15s. I want to get one more M13 and 3 more M10s (eventually), one for each gate, the doepfer VCADSR even sounds a little more alive through the M13, and I like how you don't need to slew a pulse very much (if at all) and still get that slight decay on the gate. I should pick up one more while waiting for M10s.
felix
Yeah, sometimes you don't even need an EG with the M13. I'd say maybe about half the time I just send a raw trigger to the VC input.
neandrewthal
Very Awesome, can't believe how fast your system is growing. You should have just started with a monster case and base hihi

Just curious, having modules by planB (where the signal path is laid out logically and all the related jacks/knobs are placed together for intuitive patching) and livewire (where you can actually find the knobs after patching(I saw that sketchy little move trying to adjust the offset on the model 13)) which do you prefer?
sandyb
neandrewthal wrote:
:
Just curious, having modules by planB (where the signal path is laid out logically and all the related jacks/knobs are placed together for intuitive patching) and livewire (where you can actually find the knobs after patching(I saw that sketchy little move trying to adjust the offset on the model 13)) which do you prefer?

i have a mixture of both methods - plan B and dotcom where jacks/knobs are together and MOTM/Livewire where they are not. i've (slowly) come to the conclusion that i prefer having associated jacks/knobs together - it just seems to make more sense to me.
dkcg
neandrewthal wrote:
Very Awesome, can't believe how fast your system is growing. You should have just started with a monster case and base hihi

Thanks. I can't believe it either. It can be good and bad that three excellent modular dealerships are within driving distance.

I really like the logical, basic building blocks approach that Peter has with his PlanB modules. But I also really like the almost magic black box prepatched weirdness that Mike has with the Livewire stuff. I think with enough patch cable and VCLFOs I could come up with something that sounds similar with a VC processor, but it's already done and done so well. I love how the Cyclotron modulates, and the dalek is my new little drummer.

I've rearranged my modules again tonight. I think I'm going for sequencing/timing/mixing of audio and control in one case. audio generators processors in another. And control signal processing/logic in the third. I think after moving stuff around several different ways, I think I found a way I like my modules to be arranged. And to answer the question, I really don't mind controls and plugs being wherever. I just get perplexed when something can be audio or control equally, then I don't know where to put it. smile

Here's some pics of my current Euro arrangement.

consumed
nice vid! system looks great too. so how do you edit your videos to add those text bubbles? i like that.
kidtesla
Nice setup Don!
dkcg
I love the Seq-01! Except it's forcing me to make dance music! hyper
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
Im loving tihs!!

Quote:

no need to use max/msp to make beats now!

holy shit dude! Thats like way to much complexity for simple things!!
dkcg
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
Im loving tihs!!

Quote:

no need to use max/msp to make beats now!

holy shit dude! Thats like way to much complexity for simple things!!

Before I got even my first new generation of pedals (the newest one I had was a Dunlop Rotovibe from about 1989 or so), I had some sequencers built in Max that were easily changed to use with midi out and the modular, but the Revolution did most of that already, and I never bothered with a trigger sequencer in Max since I was more interested in synthesis in MSP. Well, lately, I'm using Max for playing samples and as the master clock if and when I use it with the modular. It's basically like reinventing the wheel since I already had a MPC (which I sold) that could do beats, but not synthesized beats, well, through midi. But now, I can see the timings a LOT better as I watch the sequencers spin around (Revolution) and go across (Seq-01). My timing sucks, it always has, I don't play enough with other musicians, so the sequencers have become a big fancy metronome for me as well. Makes it real easy to keep time and play dobro along with the beat. SlayerBadger!
Kwote
the fill in panel with the chick is super fresh man. did you do the art for that?
wetterberg
fan-fucking-tastic video, mate! We need more of that shit.

I'm usually VERY allergic to s+h filter mod, but in this case I'm willing to make an exception - it did sound very melodic, as you pointed out in your youtube blurbs.
dkcg
Kwote wrote:
the fill in panel with the chick is super fresh man. did you do the art for that?

It was from an abandoned stencil I found in a doorway near my house. I haven't seen it up anywhere either, so I put her face on my modular. The actual stencil is much bigger, full body. Looked like it was gonna be a nice piece of street art that never made it, maybe the cops showed up and they ran?
dkcg
consumed wrote:
nice vid! system looks great too. so how do you edit your videos to add those text bubbles? i like that.

It's built into youtube, I used the annotation feature. I like well explained videos, but sometimes there's too much talking. The only talkative videos I like a lot are Cigler's...because of the excellent edumacation one receives.

Less, me me me blah blah blah, more audio!
synthetic
Cool sequence and demonstration. The movie was from your cellphone or a video camera?

FYI, if you get a wide angle lens for a videocamera you can focus closer to stuff. Sounds backwards but it works. My wife does this for underwater videos. Dancing Star
dkcg
synthetic wrote:
Cool sequence and demonstration. The movie was from your cellphone or a video camera?

FYI, if you get a wide angle lens for a videocamera you can focus closer to stuff. Sounds backwards but it works. My wife does this for underwater videos. Dancing Star

Cel phone. It's much easier to transfer video via bluetooth than capturing firewire from my DV cam. If I were using only a DV cam, there would be way less videos, the phone video, logic recording, after effects sync/edit are a perfect combo for quick videos.
justin3am
This is really bad ass! I need to figure out how my wife's DV camera works so I can put one of these together. Great job!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1