MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PATCH : Brass Instruments
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author PATCH : Brass Instruments
eljay
I'm new to this game and whilst I appreciate that there is a lot to be said for discovering things yourself, sometimes a point in the right direction to give you somewhere to start can be very helpful and can save a lot of time and frustration. So, having spent a bit of time reading various articles (none of this is 'original') I have produced a ' Brass' patch using my Oakley modules that sounds (in my humble opinion) quite reasonable. I know a brass patch is probably one of the easiest to do but I thought I would share it in the hope that others might also share some of their patch creations, perhaps using the word PATCH in the subject line to aid searches?

The following patch produces a reasonable brass instrument patch for use with a keyboard and midiDAC. The basic wave-shape is a Saw-tooth and can be generated from any of the Oakley Oscillators. Mix with a small amount of noise if you have it (LPF out, filter frequency at about 2 o’clock) in a Multi-mix and output to an ADSR. Attack set to about 12 o’clock, Decay set to 11 o' clock, Sustain set to about 9 o’clock, Release off (fully anti-clockwise), set to Normal and Fast mode. If you have a second oscillator or second oscillator output a small amount of square wave (pulse output) can also be added to the mix as desired.

The velocity output from the midiDAC can be fed to the VC-ADSR Sustain control voltage to provide a bit of touch sensitivity, adjust the Sustain CV knob to give a range you like, if you don’t have the VC-ADSR module set the sustain level on the ADSR to a level you like. I will assume you are using the Oakley BUSS for CV and Gate otherwise you will have to patch them in as well.

The ADSR output is fed into a Filter (I’ve used a COTA). Set the Resonance fully anticlockwise and the Frequency at about 10 0’clock. Use the midiDAC Pitch output to open the filter using the 1V/Oct input on the filter. I’ve taken the -12dB/OCT output.

Now to add the ‘parp’ at the start of the note. You need an LFO triangle wave fixed at about 80Hz to rapidly wiggle the filter at the start of the note (frequency dial on my LFO at about 3 o’clock). Feed into a VCA input. The VCA Gain should be set fully anticlockwise (zero) and the VCA output sent to the CV input of the filter. The VCA is modulated with a Variable ramp generator (or other AD envelope). Set the UP or Attack to zero (fully anticlockwise and the Down or Decay to about 11 0’clock (less than a second), if using the VRG set it to AD or One shot mode, and output type to Exponential, feed the output into the VCA CV input and adjust the VCA CV knob to about 2 o’clock. Now you can tweak the ramp time using the Down or Decay setting and the depth with the VCA CV knob. Adjust to a ‘parp’ of your liking.

Finally I’ve added a bit of manual Vibrato control using the midiDAC modulation output fed into the VCO controller for my Saw tooth/Square Wave oscillator(s). Feed the midiDAC modulation output into the VCO controller VCA CV IN socket and set the VCA vibrato depth knob to about 8 o’clock. The modulation control on the keyboard can be used to add a bit of vibrato to a sustained note.

Hopefully this provides a good point from which to start.
Pav
Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Excellent idea , just needed to get my post count to 2 ..your walking buddy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1