MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Software Regrets. Broke/Never Worked/Abandoned...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Software Regrets. Broke/Never Worked/Abandoned...
mckenic
...Or why I went Eurorack and will mostly be buying hardware from now on.

With the exceptions of Glitchmachines/MadronaLabs/Ableton/Ned Rush I dont see myself buying software ever again. Kore really killed me and made me make the jump to hardware. Every year or so I log on to the Audio GL forum and sigh 'What could have been!'

I know the bang for buck isn't even on the same planet - but in 5 years time my Doepfer LFO will (hopefully) still work and if not I can do something about it with help and a soldering iron.

I had intended to do a top 3, then a top 5 but here is the list of stuff that breaks my heart to this day:

8. Smartelectronix Plugins - were they ever ported to Intel Mac? Survived on em and SineQube stuff on OS 9. Beta tested Crazy Ivan and that beta was jaw dropping (I think the release was different - lost the beta changing jobs/email addresses). Still use Livecut <3

7. Camel Audio / Alchemy - I know it (currently) works but one OS and its all fuckered. Have a machine 'frozen' for Camel stuff and Kore. Kriminals (from KvR) banks make Space & Phat essentials for me.

6. FM7 - I know FM8 is great and I love the sound but FM7 inspired me to make so many patch banks.

5. Spektral Delay - abused the crap out of that. Loved it SO much.

4. Devine Machine Lucifer - there are many, many alternatives these days but I knew that thing inside out! And Steve was a great guy!

3. N.I. Kore & Kore 2 - bought into the Kore thing right from the start. Had hardware problems (shoddy manufacturing) right from the start and had to send it to Germany for repair (my expense both ways - I was an idiot). But I bought into the eco-system hook, line and sinker. It was AMAZING and its death and method of disposing of the carcass killed me. Not for the financial hit alone but the months and months of cataloguing and organizing my stuff, to 'now we have a whim so... screw you and your whole set-up!' Smug NI forum fanboys telling me to 'grow up' and just buy Maschine very frustrating

I have to say though the constant upgrade/soundpack merry-go-round paid and continues to pay for my Euro habit now I'm weaned off it. Got on at Komplete 2 - got off at 7. Anyone else silly enough to have bought into Komplete Kare (like me)?

2. FractOSC - amazing potential, NEVER worked for me. It was the environment I had dreams about when I was a kid (after seeing Tron and asking Santa for a Tron suit and Tron motorcycle for Christmas lol). So close...

1. Audio GL - I suppose I blew the lead in the headline. Backed the kickstarter immediately (£200) - never saw anything like it! Blew my tiny mind. To me that was a game changer. Actually bought a used crappy Win 7 laptop to run it (never got it working) and waited for the OS X release... its so sad to see the last post on the forums from the dev saying he has the OS X version working and is about to release it... and nothing since 2013. Hope he is still alive and ok!

Honourable mentions (mainly SynthEdit stuff I miss from Windows): Rozzers stuff/Unknown64/All of Ugos stuff (AMAZING plugins)/Metalizer/String Theory 1.5/Proydon (I know that is contentious but his FX were absolutely fantastic!)/Granulab/The free individual DOS fx from the initial illformed Glitch plugin... Damn! Must dust off the V-Machine and get back into some of these!

I do a once-a-year check-in on the AudioGL forum (and that was tonight) hence the maudlin topic :-)

What software 'friends' have you left behind/been forced to move on from?
thumbs up
justin3am
I know how you feel but I recently revived my '08 MacPro and restored an old back-up of 10.6.8. I've got numbers 3-8 from your list all running just fine. hihi

Seriously though... It took some really dumb decisions for me to realize that keeping a software eco-system alive is all about avoiding that temptation to update everything. I keep back-ups of old configurations that worked really well and I try to hang on to hardware that will run those configurations. I always have at least one drive with the latest OS and ultimately I spend most of my time booting into those. When I go back to earlier configurations, I start to remember some of the limitations I had to work around and then the nostalgia starts to wear off. lol

But, yeah... With hardware, when something is no longer supported it will probably still work for a while. There are a whole host of other anxieties that go along with it though. All of the cables I made myself have started going south on me recently, and the prospect of pulling apart my patch bay, let alone finding the faults in the cables and fixing them, has me sweating. cry
noisejockey
Despite being a user since v2: PRO. TOOLS.
bnek
mckenic wrote:

6. FM7 - I know FM8 is great and I love the sound but FM7 inspired me to make so many patch banks.
thumbs up

Yeah I reckon they got the interface pretty spot on with FM7. Never particularly liked using FM8. dexed I think is closer to the DX sound but I do wish it had graphical editing of the envelopes like in FM7/FM8.
flo
Freaking Volta. Does anyone still use that? I probably even would if there was no USB dongle... very frustrating
wselman
Nord Modular definitely falls into this category on the mac. :(
secretkillerofnames
wselman wrote:

It's working for me under Wine.
mckenic
Thanks for the replies Wigglers - I feel better! I do agree Justin, going back you see MAJOR limitations lol. I guess when you worked with em - you got to know your tools inside out!

I am inspired to put the synth edit stuff on my crappy Win laptop and have a session and boot the frozen 10.6 macbook to play with some Kore packs!

thumbs up
fac
secretkillerofnames wrote:
wselman wrote:

It's working for me under Wine.

Also works here with Wine under OS 10.9.5.
rod_zero
The trick is to keep it the ITb set up very small. DAW and a coupl of plug ins, and I would say that big developers and small products are a better bet for the long term.

I have never been left behind, also lucky because I was ready to buy in to Kore and a few other products that got discontinued just before I made the purchase.

I would be very sad if U.he went out of bussiness or Ableton, but apart fromt hem I don't big investments in software, mostly cheap effects and just 4.
CDavis
I really wish unisyn or sounddiver still worked. I really would like a fully featured midi editor. I'd imagine sound quest/midi quest always struck me as a product that would never really work or not be supported in the future.
Bath House
Got burned so hard by MOTU Volta. $200, required the stupid iLok key, looked amazing but never worked well/right. Abandoned almost immediately on release with bugs unfixed. Calibration sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Dumb dick.
rod_zero
Bath House wrote:
Got burned so hard by MOTU Volta. $200, required the stupid iLok key, looked amazing but never worked well/right. Abandoned almost immediately on release with bugs unfixed. Calibration sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Dumb dick.

And it seems they are still selling it.
chamomileshark
CDavis wrote:
I really wish unisyn or sounddiver still worked. I really would like a fully featured midi editor. I'd imagine sound quest/midi quest always struck me as a product that would never really work or not be supported in the future.

I've got sounddiver for the Virus still working on Windows 7 64bit. I had Uniquest for Microwave 1 which stopped working - like you I don't exactly trust them doing the update thing although they assured me there was a new product (which of course I'd have to buy, no upgrade). So I've now bought seperate newer editors for the Oberheim Matrix 1000 and Microwave. Oddly the free Morpedit for Morpheus which I think was built for Windows 98 still works.

Stuff that got abandoned? TimewARP which in theory I might be able to get an update for now although it used to freeze on my old machine (because it was really old). Xphraze but again I didn't use it much but it seemed easier to use the the Korg Wavestation. That reminds me - the Korg stuff which I have as 32bit - I asked Korg about getting the 64 bit versions but no reply. Maybe I'll just pick that up again rather than the whole digital legacy. But then again, maybe not.

The abandoned one that comes and goes is Emulator 3X. It worked, then it didn't and now it does again. Can't remember if it's 64bit. It's a real PIA needing stuff to be saved all the time or it crashes everything but the samples do sound nice in it.
peripatitis
chamomileshark wrote:
CDavis wrote:

I've got sounddiver for the Virus still working on Windows 7 64bit. I had Uniquest for Microwave 1 which stopped working - like you I don't exactly trust them doing the update thing although they assured me there was a new product (which of course I'd have to buy, no upgrade). So I've now bought seperate newer editors for the Oberheim Matrix 1000 and Microwave. Oddly the free Morpedit for Morpheus which I think was built for Windows 98 still works.

Stuff that got abandoned? TimewARP which in theory I might be able to get an update for now although it used to freeze on my old machine (because it was really old). Xphraze but again I didn't use it much but it seemed easier to use the the Korg Wavestation. That reminds me - the Korg stuff which I have as 32bit - I asked Korg about getting the 64 bit versions but no reply. Maybe I'll just pick that up again rather than the whole digital legacy. But then again, maybe not.

The abandoned one that comes and goes is Emulator 3X. It worked, then it didn't and now it does again. Can't remember if it's 64bit. It's a real PIA needing stuff to be saved all the time or it crashes everything but the samples do sound nice in it.

I have emulator 3x working fine on a 64bit, windows 10 machine. Or at least with the light use i am doing ( mostly the original libraries and a couple of my custom ones).. I'd love to find the street kits libraries though but no one seems to sell...
chamomileshark
as I said it worked and then one day it didn't. I think it may have been it was in an already large project - but then it worked again in other Cubase projects.
REwire
I miss the Hartmann Neuron VSTi. paid 850 for it now no way to use it beyond Windows XP. I have the Nuke dongle sitting where I can see it taunting me. very frustrating

Also really miss the first gen of plugins. Don't know why they seemed to sound better than what came later. Feel that about the first gen of VAs too:

SimSynth - My First ever and favorite.
Bitheadz UnityDS-1 and Retro AS-1
VAZ Modular

Not to mention some my impulsive purchases that I never use:

Massive
Absynth
Arturia Anything
Surge
Aalto
Gmedia OSCar, String Machine
UHE ACE, DIVA
PPG Wave
Sonnivox Wobble
Cyclop
Largo
MOTU BPM
Papen Punch
+ Umpteen UAD Plugs wasted money on I just stick to the 1176 and LA-2A

Dan
chamomileshark
REwire wrote:
I miss the Hartmann Neuron VSTi. paid 850 for it now no way to use it beyond Windows XP. I have the Nuke dongle sitting where I can see it taunting me. very frustrating

Also really miss the first gen of plugins. Don't know why they seemed to sound better than what came later. Feel that about the first gen of VAs too:

SimSynth - My First ever and favorite.
Bitheadz UnityDS-1 and Retro AS-1
VAZ Modular

Not to mention some my impulsive purchases that I never use:

Massive
Absynth
Arturia Anything
Surge
Aalto
Gmedia OSCar, String Machine
UHE ACE, DIVA
PPG Wave
Sonnivox Wobble
Cyclop
Largo
MOTU BPM
Papen Punch
+ Umpteen UAD Plugs wasted money on I just stick to the 1176 and LA-2A

Dan

well I very nearly did add to my reply "well at least I didn't get a Neuron"

My history of stuff I don't use isn't brilliant either. The Symtohm thing was probably the worst but at least I bought that as the bundle - mind you apart from the delay I didn't use them much. And then I got Ohmniscide d'oh!

I don't use alot of Native Instruments stuff but then again it's the Komplete package I have.

I've never used Alchemy much and should do.

My history with FX/ Processors is far worse.
mckenic
Actually there is another one!

I bought the individual Ohm plugins on OS9, with the wacky GUIs.
Then the All-Fx upgrade bundle on OS X... but with my old work email address as confirmation. Then got the symptohm synth with my own email address...

Since I updated OS multiple times (obviously) and left the job I dont know what I own from them and have no way to prove who I am email wise... well apart from they are all registered to my dads credit card.

Its a PITA nightmare and I just dont use any of em - should email their support to see what I actually own!

(Actually I got Audio Damage Replicant 2nd hand with a license transfer - and forget the details too! Another one to track down!)
chamomileshark
mckenic wrote:
Actually there is another one!

I bought the individual Ohm plugins on OS9, with the wacky GUIs.
Then the All-Fx upgrade bundle on OS X... but with my old work email address as confirmation. Then got the symptohm synth with my own email address...

Since I updated OS multiple times (obviously) and left the job I dont know what I own from them and have no way to prove who I am email wise... well apart from they are all registered to my dads credit card.

Its a PITA nightmare and I just dont use any of em - should email their support to see what I actually own!

)

They'll probably be ok with that. I seem to remember it's "Magenta Force" that handles their support.

I wonder what else they are doing these days.
mckenic
thumbs up

Of course it was ME that abandoned that lol!
But hopefully they are as cool as they seem!

I remember doing insane things with the fx plugins, or perhaps it was because it was all new to me. But you are right, they seemed to be doing wicked stuff and then went quiet. Hopefully there are new shiny on the way!
Riggar
Mmmm me too has suffered at the hands of software now - followed by poor support and ongoing development and eventually abandonment (ie no Win 10 version). There's a couple of Companies mentioned here that fall into the 'box shifters' category in my opimion. Up for making money with latest gadgetry and not a lot else - I avoid them now like the plague. Over time you get learn these I feel.
nangu
I will never forgive Gibson for buying out and then killing Opcode. Vision was the best sequencer ever.

It was the first really expensive piece of software I ever bought, and I loved it so much..

The 'generated sequences' were killer- you could give it a series of notes in one track, and a rhythm in another track. Then it would spit out your defined note pool in a random order, following the rhythm track..

You could assign sequences to play whenever you hit keys on the qwerty keyboard. And assign keys on the qwerty keyboard to be triggered by incoming midi notes. So if you set it up right, you could do mad junglist remixes of a whole herd of drum loops (or ReCycled fragments thereof) just by thrashing a midi keyboard. And maybe quantize and edit the results of said keyboard thrashing before it got as far as hitting Vision's majestic reconstruction.

At one point, I was running 3 computers so I could do exactly that.. Keyboard input, quantization and processing -> Vision junglist manipulation -> recording of utter madness.

It makes me extra pissed off when Gibson keeps buying other companies. Even if they don't die a horrible death like Opcode, they still fall under my eternal boycott once they're owned by Gibson. I have a couple of Tascam products that I really like. Tascam is now owned by Gibson. I'll never buy another Tascam product so long as I live..
chamomileshark
oh didn't know Tascam was owned by Gibson.

The whole Oberheim OBMX thing put me off them. Hardware design by Don Buchla, software by Darwin Groesse and built with components from Poundland.
nangu
Quote:
Gibson Guitar Corp.'s family of brands now includes Epiphone, Dobro, Valley Arts, Kramer, Steinberger, Tobias, Slingerland, Maestro, Baldwin, Hamilton, Chickering and Wurlitzer, as well as the audio lifestyle brands, KRK, Cerwin- Vega! and Stanton.

That list was taken from a 2013 press release, so I'm sure there are many more by now.

I was about to buy a pair of KRK speakers until I realized that they were owned by the Great Satan..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4