MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FS: PCB 11 knob fuzz factory
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author FS: PCB 11 knob fuzz factory
EATyourGUITAR
circuit runs on 9v. if building as a module instead of a guitar pedal, use a regulator or a voltage divider whatever. don't forget this is a crazy unpredictable distortion and a feedback synth not a well behaved average dirt pedal. it is pretty endless in its scope of fuzz and EQ settings everywhere. there is a clean blend included if that even matters. volume levels may actually be ok for modular. the impedance control can be set from 1M to 470R (with 0 Ohms to ground), that should attenuate all the way to mute. output could get up to 7vPP or more. there is nothing in existence that can degrade your signal more than this pedal. it is not a deterministic style of interface even though the controls are labeled clearly. it is a fuzz mystery.

build guide PDF

schematic

mouser cart for the small panasonic electrolytic capacitors , and box caps including one super big box cap 3.3uf. you can see the PCB is now fixed to allow for such a big box cap. this is the sound and the design. don't try to change to electrolytic. you can use poly chiclets, I don't think that would make any difference from poly box.

I can sell PCB's for $10, full kits without the germanium $18. full kit includes, all capacitors, all diodes, one red LED, all resistors, one resistor LED, one TL072 op-amp, one 2N3904.

not shown in the photo is a SPDT ON-OFF-ON (not included)

I can tell you where to buy the special germanium PNP in PM.
neandrewthal
Oh man, and I thought my 8 knob fuzz factory was cool Dead Banana
masterofstuff124
drill guide? panel design.

PM'ed about pcb.
I love the fuzz factory!
EATyourGUITAR
I will make a drill template and probably a panel design also. the names for the panel can be had from the PCB labels and the schematic. switch toggles DIRT-OFF-MUD. the dirt/mud knob does something different depending on the switch. VOL2 is fuzz volume, CLEAN is clean volume. there is no master volume they just get mixed passively at the out.
noizehack
Do you have example sounds of what this sounds like or a video? I love fuzz pedals, but all of the fuzz modules I have tried seemed underwhelming, so it would be good to find one that worked well.
abelovesfun
noizehack wrote:
Do you have example sounds of what this sounds like or a video? I love fuzz pedals, but all of the fuzz modules I have tried seemed underwhelming, so it would be good to find one that worked well.

You may want to try a re-amp converter. Most guitar fuzzes aren't expecting synth level impedance and sound "small" unless re-amped (and then DI'd).

I've run into this many times when building my pedals (5 fuzzes alone in there).
thetwlo
a "full kit" does include the pots as shown I would think, yes? of course it must, they seem important to the design. ..and jacks, doesn't work so well without. odd that that switch isn't included, is that optional?

looks like a great take on the FF!!
windspirit
Can we hear a little taste?
EATyourGUITAR
abelovesfun wrote:
noizehack wrote:

You may want to try a re-amp converter. Most guitar fuzzes aren't expecting synth level impedance and sound "small" unless re-amped (and then DI'd).

I've run into this many times when building my pedals (5 fuzzes alone in there).

this is actually a myth but there is some truth in it. some fuzz pedals need an impedance transformer. pretty much all the germanium fuzz pedals from the 60's had extremely low impedance that would drain the electricity right out of the pickups so fast it loads the pickups. the impedance transformer couples a coil of wire to the input of the fuzz pedal as a surrogate guitar pickup coil. any guitar pedal with an opamp buffering the input you can just forget all that. you need to feed guitar pedals a signal that is about 0.7vPP. any guitar pedal with an attenuator on the input will perform this function when using modular 10vPP signals.
EATyourGUITAR
thetwlo wrote:
a "full kit" does include the pots as shown I would think, yes? of course it must, they seem important to the design. ..and jacks, doesn't work so well without. odd that that switch isn't included, is that optional?

looks like a great take on the FF!!

I do not sell pots or switches. if you want me to sell pots I would charge another $25 for pots, SPDT switch, jacks, footswitch, LED fresnel lens, power entry module.

if you want me to sell you a box that is drilled I would charge $20 for that.

the transistors I buy hand picked @ $19 a set.

if you want a full kit you pay $18 + $25 + $20 + $19 = $82
that does not include shipping or paypal fees.
EATyourGUITAR
windspirit wrote:
Can we hear a little taste?

I have two beta testers that did build it with success. they tell me it is awesome but they only gave me one demo of a guy making noise. I still need someone to make a good demo of a normal guitar players playing traditional stuff. I have a video of my 7 knob fuzz factory.

thetwlo
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

....they only gave me one demo of a guy making noise

let's hear the noise! screaming goo yo

looks great! so will most PNP GE transistors "work" with it? of course with varying results.
EATyourGUITAR
thetwlo wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

....they only gave me one demo of a guy making noise

let's hear the noise! screaming goo yo

looks great! so will most PNP GE transistors "work" with it? of course with varying results.

posted on may 12 this guy has a FB video.

thetwlo wrote:

nope. you need low leakage and gain between 65 hfe and 110 Hfe. there are different ways to measure Hfe however so without going into too much detail that is the only requirement.

with a bit of reading and testing things out, you can do the transistor selection yourself. many people will build a fuzz face on the breadboard to test various low leakage transistors to narrow down the selection. with guitar in hand you just swap them out one at a time till you have a pair that you like a lot. mark Q1 as Q1. this is important! in the fuzz factory Q1 is labeled Q2. fuzz face Q2 is labled Q3 in the fuzz factory. we generally always use lower gain for Q1 in a fuzz face. the impedance needs to be low and the emitter must go to ground. this increases the weird stuff. silicon fuzz faces have an emitter resistor on a higher gain transistor but the magic is gone because it will never load the pickups the same or have as much non-linearity.
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fuzzface/fftech.htm
Shoggoth
Mouser cart has a 4700pf film cap (505-FKS2D014701AKC00) in it that I cant place on the PCB or schem. its also missing the 5nf cap.
PWM
Shoggoth wrote:
Mouser cart has a 4700pf film cap (505-FKS2D014701AKC00) in it that I cant place on the PCB or schem. its also missing the 5nf cap.

I think the 4700pF cap is the 5nF.. 4700pF = 4,7nF a nowadays common part where 5nF is quite rare.
EATyourGUITAR
PWM wrote:
Shoggoth wrote:

I think the 4700pF cap is the 5nF.. 4700pF = 4,7nF a nowadays common part where 5nF is quite rare.

correct. if the schematic has n I write 4n7 but if the schematic has nF on all the caps I will just write it as 5nF to avoid the trainwreck of 4nF7 <---wtf? or even worse 4.7nF where the . is obfuscated when the schematic is stolen and resized then stripped of high frequency information.
PWM
I (almost) always wright parts down with as little characters as possible.
In case of nF parts I get rid of the F, so that's 4n7.

Also works better with resistors in my opinion. There loads of old, hand drawn schematics, scanned by older scanners that are quit hard to read and commas get lost. So I wright them down as 1k2 instead of 1,2k

Monologue mode off.
ehafh
i would like to purchase 3 pcb's.
i'm located in the usa.

for what it's worth, i think the fuzz factory normal 5 knob
version sounds cool with or without germanium transistors.

this looks like a ton of fun!

do we wait for a pm to pay?
mikecameron
I'd like 3 pcbs!
mckenic
I would take 3 kits (and 3 infos for the special germanium PNP!) please! :-)

Now that the last of my mates that I jam with has entered their 40s I thought of doing us a "40s club distortion" and I was thinking of the Uglyface. This seems cooler! thumbs up
EATyourGUITAR
mckenic wrote:
I would take 3 kits (and 3 infos for the special germanium PNP!) please! :-)

Now that the last of my mates that I jam with has entered their 40s I thought of doing us a "40s club distortion" and I was thinking of the Uglyface. This seems cooler! thumbs up

I sold my first batch of 10 PCB however I did order 3 sets of germanium. I could just sell you 3 kits and the germanium when I restock. I am ordering PCB's today so I should have them in 3 or 4 weeks. if you want to prepay or make a deposit, it would help me out a lot.
mckenic
thumbs up

PM sent!
EATyourGUITAR
very frustrating

I accidentally deleted all my PM's. I will try to figure out what paypal stuff is missing shipping info and I will PM people if I need to. I have most of it here in the thread. anyone who gifted and did not post in the thread and did not put address in the paypal notes please PM me again. very frustrating
EATyourGUITAR
SHIPPED
sammy123
masterofstuff124
ClausF
ehafh
mikecameron 3 PCB

PAID
Shoggoth 2 PCB 2 ENCLOSURE
Donkey Boy 3 PCB

WAITING ON NEXT BATCH
mckenic 3 PCB
ehafh
Cloud10
masterofstuff124
awesome! i need a build guide or BOM so i can order all the parts. I plan on just yanking the germaniums (prolly socket so i can experiment) from my current fuzz factory. first pedal I built as a kit a million years ago.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4