MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TRISPECTRUM - Revision 2 - Video Posted!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author TRISPECTRUM - Revision 2 - Video Posted!
DSC
***UPDATE***

JUMP to 3:15 for the audio!

Read below to follow progress from original thread. This thing is quickly turning into a beast. The more I have time to work with it, the more I think, "that would be a nice feature to add and that too would be nice". This version includes much needed bufferred mult outs of pre and post-VCA and also CV control over octaves. I know I need to record some audio, so I will be getting around to that, but thought I would update the thread to let you know which direction I have taken so far. It is now up to 48HP!

***ORIGINAL POST***

I have seen a bit of Mini Moog Model D hype around these days. I don't have one, but I have a Creamware Minimax and I absolutely love the thick modulated leads from it. It has a layout very similar to a Mini Moog. So, that out of the way, it got me thinking about going toward that same idea with three of my favorite Osc's. I imagine several of you will have your own personal favorites, but you really do need one with 'sync in'. Part of the real charm is being able to pull them in and out of sync in a real usable performance aspect and of course normaling the V/Oct and PWM make sense to. Signal flow moves from left to right. Inserting a plug into either V/Oct or PWM breaks the normaled signal. Additional signal buffering for the V/Oct insures accuracy. The Sync has been a little bit of fun so far. I have quick latching push buttons in the center of OSC 2&3 and I am playing around with phasing the saw waveform for the use of Sync between those last two. Nice results so far I must say. Other features are obvious quick waveform switches that output to nice VTL5C3/2 Vactrols and then final mixed out. Mute and adjust each OSC output. My own personal taste, but those last few pieces could be custom spec'd to fit.

So in summary, I believe this gives you nice performance features and you still have access to all the usual power under the hood. But you will pay in cost for something in this direction. Figure I would need to charge at around $1K for these, so imagine that will not be a fast moving item, but fun to give it a go and at the very least a think about.

Yes, the print is off center to the right a little. I had a CNC error that moved the holes over a little and I did not catch it, but this panel has a nice cherry picked out spot in my custom Korg Eurorack case https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132251 and is exactly 39 and a half HP wide so I have a very tight window to fit it in. So this flaw should actually be a blessing in disguise as far as fit. Obviously it would be something that would be fixed if I made more.

Give it some thought as to what OSC's you would choose for an ultimate three voice. Maybe not even all the same type? Maybe some modded stages in between? Too many possibilities. Of course you can manually patch everything to get there, but it becomes more efficient to just patch three cords and go, right?

Big thanks to WMD and SSF for aiding me in this venture.

wmctavishnusic
That is fucking gorgeous
r1n9o
eek!
noisejockey
Holy hell, dude. woah woah
mypetrobot
I must hear it. I must.
Artaos
The world was one way, and now it is another.
thetwlo
it's a great idea!
love the Living VCOs which this is probably closest to in features.
LFO switch is a must!!!
not very minimoog-ish but I would do two tri-core and another VCO(saw?) or thru-zero one... naw, that's feature creep!
astromooses
The color scheme kind of reminds me of Lance Thackeray's work (GUI designer of Serum, Sylenth skins, and Ableton Skins). I absolutely love it. Unfortunately out of my price range : /
gonkulator
I've got four spectrums in a polyphonic setup. I haven't looked at the details on the normalization, so I'm not sure if there is any advantage to it. Hmmm...
Dogma
have you thought about the new schippmann
cs-8 series omega-phi? its a bit cheap and nasty but may improve with 3 to beef up the thin, anemic sound?
x2mirko
I have two spectrums that i use mainly for the minimoog-style analogue voice. I absolutely love this design as well as the nice little features you added. I already think of my spectrums as a unit and it makes so much sense to have them normalized together.

Do i understand correctly that you're going to be selling these? Because i'm pretty sure i'll buy one next months and replace my spectrums with it if that's the case.
savethisrocketship
Very cool! I love my two Spectrums, a third with this layout must be very nice w00t
DSC
I will spend more time in the next couple of months determining a few factors before settling on the right combination and will report back with a vid showing off what I have found. After spending considerable amount of time with my Creamware Minimax I have to say I have started to understand having the ability to instantly change three waveforms makes 'hunting' and 'searching' for new combinations a lot more fun. I think you then tend to focus on modulation and wave shaping more, even during a performance. If I find a good combination and a few of you are interested, then yes, I will make a few. Off to go research thumbs up
maltemark
Holy fuck
ghee hgt
very nice!! applause
is the cv on the mixer for vol or wave?
DSC
ghee hgt wrote:
very nice!! applause
is the cv on the mixer for vol or wave?

It is for the VCA's/Vactrols. The first is normaled to 2 and 3 as well.
The outs are each channel out and/or the sum of all three. Figured that would still allow you to effect each one separately, if you wanted without having to go too crazy with sends and returns. Trying to keep spacing down, but it could be changed to accommodate whatever your personal preference would be. I personally like the shape of these particular vactrols and so it was a 'no brainer' for me, but others have their own opinions and other hardware could be used.

Think of it as your own personal favorite three voice voice and put those pieces together. I just found I could make these fit in a reasonable fashion and thought I would give it a go.
Robscorch
All of my poly.

DSC
More 'research' today while on holiday. Pumping this throughout the entire coach is a lot of fun. Maybe too much fun thumbs up

Modulus
DSC wrote:
More 'research' today while on holiday. Pumping this throughout the entire coach is a lot of fun. Maybe too much fun thumbs up

something wonderful

I always drool at your rigs smile
enj_music
Now I need to factor in a synth-mobile to my modular budget cry
ngarjuna
Really sweet, you really make some amazing mods!
Funky40
It looks awesome !

the new Erica black wavetable VCO could be supercool for such undertaking.
though, it lacks the sync input......... hmmm.....
Roy72
You should rig up cv control on the van controls, shift gears to sequence selector, filter sweep on the right hand turn......

Or the other way around, I'm sure you could program your entire journey into that Sequencer 1.
DSC
Yes, automation of the vehicle is not out of the question thumbs up

I did see the wavetable VCO from Erica, and I do agree that it might make a good threesome. I am playing with sync more and more and honestly the only useful area for it is building chords in higher frequency ranges. Most anything 400Hz and below you really will not notice. I keep trying different combinations though.

Curious to see if anyone here has done much syncing of oscillators?
Any input is welcome.
ngarjuna
DSC wrote:
Yes, automation of the vehicle is not out of the question thumbs up

I did see the wavetable VCO from Erica, and I do agree that it might make a good threesome. I am playing with sync more and more and honestly the only useful area for it is building chords in higher frequency ranges. Most anything 400Hz and below you really will not notice. I keep trying different combinations though.

Curious to see if anyone here has done much syncing of oscillators?
Any input is welcome.

I've done a fair amount of experimentation with the sync inputs on my various VCOs (Cranial Saw, Pittsburgh Oscillators, STO, Rubicon). I've come to the conclusion that some play nicer than others when it comes to big sync sweeps; I could never really get the Pittsburghs to play ball while the Cranial Saw basically does those awesome sweep sounds in its sleep. This was using any and every type of signal I could to sync it to (various waveshapes, frequencies, etc.).

The STO and Rubicon are somewhat in the middle, I've gotten stable sync out of my STO and I've had other times when I couldn't; not sure what the missing variable was. The Rubicon is pretty good at sync'ing too but with so many options (variable soft sync) I seem to invariably get lost down a rabbit hole playing with the different options. But sync is a valuable parameter in goofing with the Rubicon's various other modulations.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2