MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer 189-1 - a visual reference
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Doepfer 189-1 - a visual reference
erstlaub
Afternoon folks, one of my favourite and most opaque modules is Doepfer's brilliant and nuts 189-1 voltage controlled barglefargler. In an attempt to try to make a little bit more sense of what's going on, I've just made this sort of visual reference guide (for want of a better term) showing what happens to the same triangle wave with the BC knob at min, centre and max settings for each of the 16 modes.

it's by no means exhaustive and takes no account of the sample rate reduction side of things but I thought folks might find it vaguely interesting or useful. It's a wonderful and crazy module (I'm still not entirely convinced that mine isn't slightly faulty but I do love it) so if you're on the fence, you totally should grab it, the waveshapers alone (8-10) are beautiful, as with all things, moderation/attenuation and not clipping the signal leads to wonderful secret fractal universes (see the delays).

PDF at:
https://www.mediafire.com/?7l75djzlmmk8lwn
luketeaford
This module has been on my mind for a while now (but I will need a new case first...)

Thanks for the great work, erstlaub! You don't happen to have corresponding audio examples of those beautiful waveforms, do you?
MRoyce
Outstanding work, some of the modes can be a real mystery but your scope shots help a lot. It should be noted that for the delay modes the Sample Rate directly affects the delay length as well, so the effect can change a lot from that as well. The Logic Modes will also work very well with actual gates, for creating interesting rhythms. So much digital mayhem to be had with the 189-1.
XponentOne
thumbs up
TheBradster
Top stuff, erstlaub, thanks! Now barglefargling will make more sense wink
acgenerator
applause
sempervirent
That is really cool, Doepfer could stand some documentation updates for sure, especially with beautiful waveform visualizations like these (anyone else see the mountain range in #8?).
Dcramer
Great job! we're not worthy
vytis
Thanks erstlaub, this is very well done and super useful! Om
DanJGW
Fantastic work!!

Thanks man love
hyena
thanks a lot! i really enjoy this very weird module...
if you send some stepped cv (from a sequencer or a s&h) into the bc cv in with mode 11 and fiddle with bc and sr, with no actual signal in patched, you have very interesting glitchy beats out, not too far from the folktek matter sounds wink
DanJGW
I found a similar sound earlier; sounded just like vinyl static on a run out groove!
ben_hex
Great work, love the A-189-1 and these visualizations from the scope are great.
XponentOne
hyena wrote:
thanks a lot! i really enjoy this very weird module...
if you send some stepped cv (from a sequencer or a s&h) into the bc cv in with mode 11 and fiddle with bc and sr, with no actual signal in patched, you have very interesting glitchy beats out, not too far from the folktek matter sounds wink

Neat just tried this out, lots of fun. Also whilst trying it out I stumbled across self-patching a feedback loop, something id never thought of with the a189-1 - goes batshit crazy, gotta explore this some more today SlayerBadger!
atte
Great stuff, thanks! applause
Bachelard
Just saw this. Amazeballs, thanks so much for taking the time to do it and share it.

Love my 189-1 to bits, pun intended.
Maneville
applause

Great help for another module on my 'soon' list
lud
Beautiful job! This guide has sold the module to me
erstlaub
Glad this still getting folks intrested. Its resurgence caused me to dig it out from my spare case yesterday and i can still confirm that it's a properly beautiful weirdo (that I'm still not totally sure mine works as its supposed to - is that a 'thing' with it though?).

mmmmmgrackle.
southphillysynths
great resource! thanks for posting this!

Really love this module and this will be helpful in getting my mind around all the different modes.
Risc_Terilia
Made this out of your pictures

grimleyj
erstlaub wrote:
Glad this still getting folks intrested. Its resurgence caused me to dig it out from my spare case yesterday and i can still confirm that it's a properly beautiful weirdo (that I'm still not totally sure mine works as its supposed to - is that a 'thing' with it though?).

mmmmmgrackle.

Love mine too but it is also a little wonky. The mode selector knob jumps between modes with a light touch making it difficult to select the desired mode.
erstlaub
Risc_Terilia wrote:

Hah, good work. So did I back in June last year when I made it but I think I didn't post it as it was a bit hard to make any contextual sense of. Still, it's pretty to look at.

Edit: I just realised that I didn't post it because the board won't let you use animated gifs via the uploadpic thing even though gif shows as a supported format.
Risc_Terilia
erstlaub wrote:
Risc_Terilia wrote:

Hah, good work. So did I back in June last year when I made it but I think I didn't post it as it was a bit hard to make any contextual sense of. Still, it's pretty to look at.

Edit: I just realised that I didn't post it because the board won't let you use animated gifs via the uploadpic thing even though gif shows as a supported format.

Ah yes that's how I'd have liked mine to have look lol
matttech
Silly demos from a while back: https://matttechmodulardemos.bandcamp.com/album/doepfer-a189-1-bit-mod ifier

Notes in track pages
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2