MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone converting Euro modules to 5U/MU?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Anyone converting Euro modules to 5U/MU?
russma
I think I've seen a few here, but I can't remember who they were. sduck, or Pugix maybe?

Mr Fletcher would probably do it, but is anyone doing these conversions as a business?

How hard is it to do? What's involved?
arz
maybe this will help you ...

http://www.schneidersbuero.de/index.php?sect=products&lang=en&product= Curetronic%20C03-3HE-Adapter&hersteller=Curetronic&kategorie=herstelle r&currency=EURO_BRUTTO
russma
Thanks arz, I hadn't seen that yet. Good to know about that option. But I was actually thinking about more thorough conversions, rather than adapter panels.

I'm not very DIY experienced, but just trying to reason through the process, you'd have to create a panel, figure out how to attach the PCB, rewire the jacks and knobs...how do you convert the power from 12v to 15v?...what other issues are there?
SynthBaron
The hardest part is desoldering all the PCB mount jacks and pots and NOT ruining the traces. I have a $500 desoldering gun, and the PCB still delaminated. You can mount the PCB with one of the Bridechamber brackets pretty easily.

Depending on what it is, it may be able to run off 15v just fine. Oscillators and filters will probably have to be recalibrated.
russma
SynthBaron wrote:
The hardest part is desoldering all the PCB mount jacks and pots and NOT ruining the traces. I have a $500 desoldering gun, and the PCB still delaminated.

yeah, that doesn't sound fun.
megaohm
idiotboy wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
The hardest part is desoldering all the PCB mount jacks and pots and NOT ruining the traces. I have a $500 desoldering gun, and the PCB still delaminated.

yeah, that doesn't sound fun.

It's not fun!
This is one of the reasons (there are a couple more) that I don't use pcb mounted panel controls and jacks.

p.
drewtoothpaste
I converted my Euro to 5U by selling it all and buying 5U to replace it
bwhittington
I was planning to convert a couple Euro modules. If you don't mind a sloppy job, you could snip a lot of the cheap jacks and switches off, leaving their leads soldered to the board and go from there. Or you could leave the module mostly intact, mount it behind a 5U panel, then cut 1/8" cables in half and solder them to the 5U jacks.

Despite all that, I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Cheers,
Brian
sduck
My "conversions" weren't really that - I built 2 Flight of Harmony modules from the barebones packs he sells into 5U motm panels I designed. Plague Bearer and a dual Choices. I've also done similar things with several Blacet modules. In all these cases it was pretty easy - no power finagling, no desoldering jacks.

I have been tempted to do a noisering conversion, which might require more work, but it's pretty low on my priority list.
russma
"conversion" or not, you're describing what I may want to do at some point. Thanks sduck.

What other euro guys sell "barebones packs"?
DonaldCrunk
re: desoldering panel mount stuff -

snipping off the old pots and jacks is definitely a lot less likely to lift traces than trying to desolder and pop the things out whole. still risky though, always risky.

i think those adapter panels would just make me angry.
pugix
I started looking over Euro modules recently and there are a lot of offbeat designs that definitely appeal to me. But unless these are offered as boards, like Mattson Mini Modular does, I won't be going there. The Plague Bearer Barebones pack is the right direction.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1