MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Harvestman Update Party in the UK
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Harvestman Update Party in the UK
guestt
So, given that the update procedure for these things is a bit intimidating and expensive ... very frustrating

...I thought we should have some fun and save some cash and help each other about a bit - hey if the support network isn't there at the moment, we just have to do it ourselves right? nanners

So, the information needed is here:

http://www.theharvestman.org/firmware.php

I totally agree that something needs to be done about the update procedure, £25 plus postage for a board I am going to have to look after and have no other use for? Plus an additional £30 for an adapter that again I have no other use for, that isn't even available anywhere?

It's expensive and a bit brutal for anyone who doesn't know what they are doing and a total fuck off for those of us who don't have the adapter and can't get one. d'oh!

But whatever, keeping it cheery and full of fun; I am lucky, I can handle this programming stuff... I feel for anyone who can't though so, I am throwing a party to inject some fun and good humour back into this crappy situation: w00t

The most obvious time to do it would be around the meeting in Leeds in August for me, perhaps early that morning, or the evening before.

Anyone interested?
tiny333
This is a great idea !

I would really really like to update my SH2 as it can be a bit random at times .. I could make Leeds but August is summer holidays for kids so may be away

Great thought tho ...
guestt
Hey Tiny333,

Leeds in August is just an idea, open to other date suggestions...

I know of at least one other Harvestman owner in the north of the UK, so there could be three of us.

I'd also encourage anyone else in a similar situation to arrange their own meetings in their own area - if Scott is busy right now, we should rally round and try and help each other as much as possible until the situation returns to normal!
robotopsy
I know Moog Audio in Montreal can do your firmware updates...... applause
cuz they borrowed my Pickit 2 pending in owning one thumbs up
sukyaneer
Nice idea indeed.

I looked into the very same thing and stopped immediately, thinking I'm going to definitely screw this up, I'm on a Mac and it's really rather too costly!

Let's all stay in touch perhaps for next modular meets. I also have the Intellijel updater which I could bring with me if anyone wishes to update any modules of theirs. Happy to share the love :-D
guestt
Hehe, that tickled me robotopsy grin

I can totally imagine that even modular synth shops won't have the tools or skill set between the staff to do it...

The only modular synth shop within relatively easy travelling distance to me that stocks Harvestman stuff is 200 miles away... either Rubadub in Scotland or PostModular or London Modular, erm, in London!

I suppose I could do it in a day, but the train ticket prices are eye watering and it would be 3 1/2 hours each way plus walking time to the station so 4 hours each way to London and an extra hour on that each way to Scotland! I could get cheaper tickets but it would mean travelling off peak and paying for accommodation instead so as broad as it's long really.

I have no idea if they have the tools and skills to do it, but either way a very expensive do.

Oh Hi Robin, didn't know you had Harvestman stuff too, that's cool! Yep, lets keep in touch and see what happens.

Does anyone know where to get an adapter from? I've tried and can't find one anywhere... I asked Scott when I heard from him, but haven't heard anything back since.

Finally, is there any advantage to having the PickKit 3 over the 2? And can anyone provide a definitive link to the correct hardware to buy in the UK?

Cheers Guinness ftw!
guestt
Oh wait... the Intellijel adapter works too???

Are they more readily available?
robotopsy
I made an home-made adaptor for the eeproms....... I could figure out what pins needs to be done for the firmware updates.
this could be very cheap to make but it wont be so cool for The harvestman to have user build their own ...... but I'll check it out.
guestt
Oh that would be cool robotopsy - I can quite happily solder stuff together, maybe I could do a small run of them if it's fairly straightforward!!

... and while the cats away It's peanut butter jelly time!

robotopsy
Still the best way would be to get the programmer
but it seems like most place are running out of stock hmmm.....

heres some place still available seriously, i just don't get it

http://controlvoltage.net/the-harvestman-device-programmer/dp/1479

http://analoguezone.com/The-Harvestman/the-harvestman-piston-honda-pro grammer
guestt
Thanks ... but.. 60€ Dead Banana

sukyaneer
Baddcr wrote:
Oh wait... the Intellijel adapter works too???

Are they more readily available?

Oh sorry to mislead you, I only meant that I have the Intellijel updater in case anyone wanted to update their modules using that at the same time! It sadly doesn't help with Harvestman stuff.
guestt
Hehe no worries Robin, that's cool! But yes, I fully approve of update parties in general!! A few of us have soldering parties (also highly recommended and great fun!) so it's just an extension of that really thumbs up

So, I've been digging to try and get the costs down for this and found that the PH MK2 DSPIC33FJ128GP310 is supported by this DIY project:

http://pic-microcontroller.com/pickit-2-download-develop-your-own-usb- pickit-ii-programmer/

I'm fairly confident that the advanced functionality of the PicKit 2 is not required and this will do the job well.

With some modification it may be possible to add on an alternative port and avoid the adapter too, I'll chat to some friends about that who know better than I do!

This may not be so expensive after all and I may get a run of custom Pickit 2 boards done if I can get a prototype working.

Will be a few weeks probably...
guestt
And another DIY project here, comprehensive documentation by t looks of things:

http://www.elproducts.com/build-your-own-pickit-2.html
ether
Schneider's have the programmers in stock:

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/the-harvestman-firmware-programmer.ht ml
johnwynberg
Don’t want to ruin the party, but perhaps is worth contacting Postmodular, London Modular or Rubadub in the UK, to mention just the ones I know from experience. They must have a technician able to do the updates. I can’t imagine them sending all their stock back to Scott, to get the updates. And selling the modules without the updates, I believe depreciate them to the eyes of most costumers, who can think that to do the update by themselves is no worth the hassle.

I believe someone at Rubadub told me once --long time ago, mind you-- that they were getting their Harvestman modules updated. I might be wrong. But I wouldn’t mind paying a small fee for the update.

On the other hand, if there are clear instructions of how to use the programmer and a pickit, it can be a good investment for those of us who can see themselves investing in more Harvestman or whatever they are now called (my apologies, but my mind keeps refusing to remember their new name… and most of the time I can’t be bothered to Google it).
sukyaneer
johnwynberg wrote:
Don’t want to ruin the party, but perhaps is worth contacting Postmodular, London Modular or Rubadub in the UK, to mention just the ones I know from experience. They must have a technician able to do the updates. I can’t imagine them sending all their stock back to Scott, to get the updates. And selling the modules without the updates, I believe depreciate them to the eyes of most costumers, who can think that to do the update by themselves is no worth the hassle.

Actually very good advice. I personally never wanted to take advantage of fine stores but the folks that generally run them are very enthusiastic and kind people and as you suggest maybe a small fee, a cake or a signed photo might be enough to convince them to help us :-D

Certainly worth looking into!

nanners
Hazza26
How are the UK update parties going? Wet and wild I hope.

I just fired an email to Phil @ LondonModular so we'll see what he says. Otherwise, anyone South interested in teaming up for an update sesh? Or maybe a group Pickit purchase/share?
guestt
I've stopped receiving notifications for this (and other threads) I think, maybe I missed an email, anyway, apologies for radio silence.

I have the gears, am generally available, if anyone needs a hand around the Hebden Bridge area (it's easily accessible from major cities in the North) give me a shout.

Also the meet at the Belgrave in Leeds in August - but don;t just expect me to have it with me, I got loads of stuff to carry and while I am happy to do so, I won't bring it without a clear need - so let me know - cheers smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1