MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Electric Guitar without Amp? (plugging straight into mixer)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Electric Guitar without Amp? (plugging straight into mixer)
strangeonlooker
I have not tried any of the more expensive preamp options but I sometimes plug the guitar into a Boss "Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Amp" pedal and then into a mixer or into the computer via an interface. It's a pretty cheap preamp and sounds great in both configurations.
Struggle
Due to space limitations I’m also looking for a simple way to play guitar directly into my mixer and hoping for a little guidance.

Sansamp Para Driver seems to be a favorite for this application. Last night I stumbled across the API Tranzformer GT and aside from the compressor (which would be nice) and perhaps higher quality/price tag on the API they seem like they are similar in functionality/purpose. Is this correct or does the Sansamp have some kind of cab simulation that the Tranzformer doesn’t? Ive really enjoyed the API demos I’ve heard, but most of them seem to be placing the Tranzformer before a amp and not directly into a mixer or interface.

Can anyone help me understand the difference between these two particular pedals. Any advice on the subject is appreciated. Thanks!
felixer
you need to convert the high impedance of the guitar to a low one for the mic input on your desk. even the line input (usually something like 10kOhm) is too low. you can use a di-box. they are made for that. or basically any fx-pedal. try some simple booster pedal ... often they have some eq option. and obviously a gain control. both could be handy. i often use an ART tube preamp. one of the smaller tabletop boxes. sounds great! and they are pretty cheap at thomann ... about 40 euro methinks ... now you have a good clean sound. if you want distortion, get a distortion pedal and put it in front of the preamp/di ... loads of options there.
Struggle
Thanks felixer!
jorg
sloth713 wrote:
can i just ditch amps and cabinets all together and just use distortion pedals into a mixer?

I never use an amp, though I have a nice one. I either go straight into my audio interface (which does have a guitar Hi-Z mode), then add custom digital FX, or I go through my pedal chain (and/or the modular) and then into the interface.
vrfats
seriously, i just don't get it I hate playing DI guitar and love the way my amp compresses and characterizes the sound. I also love how loud it is and the fact that it lets me coexist with other loud instruments like drums. I saw Nadja play with DI gtrs / basses a few months ago and the quality of the sound just didnt work for me and made me feel very angry... I really like the loud trebley fender style tube amps with spring reverb, tremolo and treble cranked up and kind of just bread and butter Les Paul, Ricky, Strat, Tele guitars. I guess I'm a bit of a boring asshole and the beatles recorded bass and other stuff DI so you should to w/ guitar....

I would suggest looking at what goes into the signal chains for the guitar sounds you like, trying amps out at stores to see how they play and yeah tinker with DI stuff but have something to compare it to. I personally don't enjoy it but I also don't enjoy playing through Marshall style amps that squash and compress your sound in a different way. I have a fuzz pedal for that seriously, i just don't get it I enjoy the sounds of marshal-type amps when other guitarists play them and have heard a few uses of DI guitar that seem funny, deliberate or interesting.

DI bass sounds fine for the most part especially for recording purposes and to give the soundguy more control in a live setting but feel like everyone's guitar suggestions on this page have randomly triggered me. I might record guitars DI and reamp them later if I want to play with a weird combination of amps and mics, keep more of the sound out of the room or just have the raw signal to run into an amp etc...

Get a loud tube amp w/ a spring reverb, or jazz chorus, or sustainy marshall type amp and stop plugging your guitar into plasticky akai / studio monitor type stuff seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2