MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U Joystick Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author 5U Joystick Module
drewtoothpaste
Someone make one
dude
modcan has one and flights barbones packs would/could be assembled fairly easily or i am sure someone could be paid to assemble the kit in grand 5u stylee.
russma
does the name sduck ring any bells?

bwhittington
When I was a kid, I called an electronics store and asked the lady what joysticks they had in stock. She thought I was being perverted.

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers,
Brian
russma
....whereupon she was summarily dismissed, for providing unsatisfactory customer service. The investigators say it was precisely there that she began her downward spiral into madness.

I hope you are satisfied. Good Day sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY!!!!
angry Rage!
wyrtti
Maybe that lady was onto something? eek!

hihi
SynthBaron
There's always the Dotcom joystick adapter and the pedal interface.

http://www.synthesizers.com/q142.html
analogsteve
SynthBaron wrote:

That's cool and all, but there is no actual joystick module in MU format. That's what I want. How come everyone else gets one?

Steve
bwhittington
SynthBaron wrote:

BOOOO! Sorry, but modulars already sound like video games. I don't want mine to look like one, too.

The Q142 strikes me as a particularly clumsy option. And heaven knows what my electronics store lady would think if she saw one . . .

Cheers,
Brian
sduck
I bet Todd Fletcher could build you up one of those dual choices modules, and probably for a good price. It wasn't expensive - 2 joysticks from devi ever - 70$, 2 choices barebones packs - 80$ (I think), panel from FPE - 90$, jacks and switches and knobs - maybe 45$ from mouser (not sure - I had most of it on hand already). Say 299.95$ - sound reasonable? (I'm not making up a price for Todd - I'm not connected to his business in any way - that's just about what mine cost)

But yes, it would be cool if .com or someone would produce a commercial version - for the right price I'd think it'd sell really well.

I've barely used mine yet - had some troubleshooting to do (on a different module) before really testing it out, and then we had this stupid flood, and now my modular is on its side in the dining room while the downstairs gets dried out and fixed. My whole office/studio is in boxes in the dining room - yuck.
russma
sad banana
...oy vey.

Sorry to hear it, sduck.
jfm3
Can you post your FPD file?
megaohm
drewtoothpaste wrote:
Someone make one

What would be the requirements?
VCAs? DC voltages out?
I have multiple joystick modules (DIY) in my system but all of them sit on a table remote from the cab. I use them a lot for a keyboard replacement and filter sweeps, etc. - more live control. I would think that with the sticks at 90 degrees this would be more difficult. Haven't tried so I don't know.
Experiences?

p.
sduck
I can.

Note that this design is tied to these specific joysticks I had, and most likely won't work at all with other kinds. But feel free to change it around as you see fit - there's a lot going on with this panel, and lots that could be changed. Space is a big issue with the amount of hardware involved - everything fit, but some of it was "just barely". This is one of those design where if I only had the extra inch that the MU format has, it would have been a lot easier - and I could probably have fit all the features of both choices modules on there.
davebr
I made mine out of a vintage late '60's Tektronix Joystick. I mostly use it for real-time control of a filter or with my CVS and a software Jag. I need a stand-alone joystick as I could never find my way through all the cables to a panel-mounted joystick. Joystick panel design, schematics, and photos are on my webpage. - Dave
Spiked Lunch
MU joystick would be cool - I wouldn't want anything to complicated, just a MU version of the Doepfer joystick would be cool.

The A-174 costs £63 (€75/$95) which I appreciate is very cheep and MU manufactures would not be able to match.
doctorvague
dude wrote:
modcan has one>>>

Indeed. $400 for one joystick though.

DonaldCrunk
i never got the whole x/y joystick/pad thing... ive had the capability on more than a few synths and always ended up favoring the knobs. maybe im weird

seriously, i just don't get it
urbanscallywag
DonaldCrunk wrote:
maybe im weird

perhaps.

but you'd have to have some mad etch-a-sketch skills to do the same thing with knobs as you can with a joystick (or other multi-axis controller).

we're not worthy
spinach_pizza
I like the idea of a joystick or 2 as part of a "controller" module, sitting in a little slanted box in front of my modular, patched to wherever. IMO, having a joystick mounted at 90 deg would be kind of awkward compared to a knob. And practically every CV input I have is already associated with a dedicated knob.

megaohm wrote:
drewtoothpaste wrote:
Someone make one

What would be the requirements?
VCAs? DC voltages out?
I have multiple joystick modules (DIY) in my system but all of them sit on a table remote from the cab. I use them a lot for a keyboard replacement and filter sweeps, etc. - more live control. I would think that with the sticks at 90 degrees this would be more difficult. Haven't tried so I don't know.
Experiences?

p.
russma
Yeah, maybe the module is a just a wireless receiver of some sort; allowing for various transmitting joysticks, or whatever form-factor of input controller

Think "Wiimote."
russma
...and then, of course, there's this.
spinach_pizza
I like the idea of the Wiard model 311:

http://www.wiard.com/purchase/purchase.html

but not stuck in a rack somewhere. I want it right in front of me, like a keyboard or other control surface.

idiotboy wrote:
...and then, of course, there's this.
bwhittington
DonaldCrunk wrote:
i never got the whole x/y joystick/pad thing... ive had the capability on more than a few synths and always ended up favoring the knobs.

You probably need better gloves.

dude
man i so wanted that to be a video to start my day off.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3