MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frac dimensions wanted
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Frac dimensions wanted
Babaluma
hey all,

i want to order a custom 16u wood case from niceracks. i want the case to be as shallow as possible. can anyone tell me the depth of a blacet frac rack with the ps500 bolted to the back? i could measure it myself but it would mean a bit of disassembly, and i thought someone here might know the answer already.

thanks in advance,

gregg
Cat-A-Tonic
Frac Rack depth is 7 inches = 18cm

Power Supply Depth is 2.5 inches = 6.5cm

Keep in mind, if you get longer screws you can mount the power supply to the inside of the Frac Rack. You just have to plan your layout around it a little more so that shallow modules go in front of the power supply.

A HexZone does the job perfectly. Other candidates are Dual Lin.VCA, Micro LFO, CGS Digital Noise, Window Comparator, and the left 2/3 of Metal Box Divider Logic... and hopefully more in the future.
Babaluma
thanks dude!

so about 10 inches would be safe? (i can't mount the power supplies on the insides, too many long modules)
Cat-A-Tonic
10 inches leaves you with 1cm of clearance.
I'd say if you want to set the modules back from the front of the case a wee bit or if you want to put some kind of cover on the back you might want to give it a little extra.
11 inches should be plenty for a Frac with Power on the back.
On the other hand my TS-21 is 12 inches deep, so if you are gonna rack up anything other than modules in that case you might want it a little deeper still.

Are you going for the straight tower style case or an angled one?
I'm fixin' to build my own soon. I'll probably use Japanese Cypress boards from Unidy. It has a really dramatic grain.
I imagine Nice Racks is going to kill you on shipping.

Drop me a line if you want to get together neighbor.
I've got the day off so I'll be synthesizing.
Babaluma
thanks for that!

yeah, i'll not want knobs sticking out too far, so i reckon 11 inches will be safe. no cover on the back (will be against a wall most of the time). no other modules except for frac racks, mobius sequencer and wiard 311.

i am currently debating about whether to go for the straight tower type, the sloping tower type, or custom design something. straight would be nice and shallow, i could transport it about and lean it against walls etc. i don't really like the design of their standard sloping rack as it looks so bulky and deep at the bottom, so i probably wont go with that. what i'd really like would be something custom designed to be like like a large ems vcs3 or mini arcade machine etc, so might see what mr niceracks has to say. i was in touch with him before about a sloping rack, and he said he could flat pack it, and the shipping he quoted me was very reasonable.

i'm free on monday (national holiday), so pm me if you want to hook up, my wife will be in milan and baby clara will be at the in-laws!
parasitk
Babaluma wrote:
what i'd really like would be something custom designed to be like like a large ems vcs3 or mini arcade machine etc, so might see what mr niceracks has to say. i was in touch with him before about a sloping rack, and he said he could flat pack it, and the shipping he quoted me was very reasonable.

Link for niceracks? Google returns ski/surf racks and breasts. w00t
Cat-A-Tonic
If I were you I'd have most of it be a straight tower and then angle out the base for the Wiard 311 controller.
Like you said, "arcade style"; with the joysticks angled out down at the bottom.
If you did this custom or DIY than you could save the wood from the cuts to make a lid that allows enough space for you to travel with a patch.
Roycie Roller
If you had the case built in a similar shape to the VCS3, you could have the 311 at the front (flat), with that section deep enough as it extends to the back of the case to house the psu's directly underneath the racks. That would narrow the depth of the rack section by quite a bit. You'd just screw the psu's to the floor of the case.
Babaluma
parasitk:

http://www.nice-racks.com/

cat-a-tonic:

yep, if i do a custom design this is exactly how i'll want it. i have zero diy skills or time unfortunately, so it'll have to be made by someone else. my grandfather who passed away many years ago was a master cabinet maker, i wish he was still around! i'd have it in spalted maple (to match my tele) with bevelled edges and dovetail joints!

roycie roller:

good suggestion, something to think about!

basically my modular is complete, i just need a really nice wooden case to do it justice and look good and last for years. i have it in a middle atlantic case at the moment, and while it's strong as a tank, it's also REALLY heavy, kind of ugly black, and about 18 inches deep. it's 10u and i need 16u (3 fracs, 2 metalbox mult/attenuator/adaptor 1u strips, mobius sequencer and wiard 311).

anyway, thanks for all the suggestions!
parasitk
Babaluma wrote:
parasitk:

http://www.nice-racks.com/

Thanks! It was the dash that was throwing me.

Babaluma wrote:
basically my modular is complete

Heresy!
Babaluma
parasitk wrote:
Heresy!

seriously dude, you have to stop somewhere! i've spent the last five years collecting modules, experimenting with layouts, building a large system (over 50 modules), selling modules that i didn't really use, and have finally extracted the gold from the shit. namely, an intensely personal system that suits my working methods. not too large, not too small. perfect for me. 8)

i need a nice case, and the possibility of changing out two of the three blacet vcos for another kind of vco. that's it, really, honestly...

but i do have a spare frac rack and psu, just in case, ha ha!

help
parasitk
Babaluma wrote:
parasitk wrote:
Heresy!

seriously dude, you have to stop somewhere! i've spent the last five years collecting modules, experimenting with layouts, building a large system (over 50 modules), selling modules that i didn't really use, and have finally extracted the gold from the shit. namely, an intensely personal system that suits my working methods. not too large, not too small. perfect for me. 8)

i need a nice case, and the possibility of changing out two of the three blacet vcos for another kind of vco. that's it, really, honestly...

but i do have a spare frac rack and psu, just in case, ha ha!

Well that just means you need to start another format! grin You know, a fresh start!

Seriously - I know what you mean, and for most of my studio setup I like to be "not to large, not to small" as well. Too many options screws with my creativity. But... I want my modular to be excessive. Like Hans Zimmer excessive. SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1